Page 18 of 32 FirstFirst ... 814151617181920212228 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Tofali View Post
    My post was mostly about the discussion in the thread being about other things than talking about Shang-Chi - that is why I concluded he must be uninteresting. I've never read Shang-Chi so I don't know if he is uninteresting but I'm still looking forward to watch the movie
    It is just a teaser about a property that most people are not familiar with intimately, Shang Chi is interesting enough there is not enough information on the movie to talk about, and most people aren't like Tien and crazy huge fans. We are aware of Shang Chi but it is not like we are knowledgeable on all aspects like Spiderman or Batman.

A Thread is going to off-track and self-correct at some point that is the nature of the forum this thread seems to be way off track with interesting things that really should be their own topic. I mean I started a thread for Trailers where people could put trailers for movies and discuss them. People can easily put trailer for their Bollywood and Nollywood movies and talk about them there but here seem the readily available place go figure.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    I haven't seen many Indonesian movies, but the Raid: Redemption had some of the most insane martial arts I've ever seen. Idk if there are many Indonesian superhero comics or shows/movies.
    Hi, Indonesian here.
    We actually have alot of superhero comics in the 50s and 60s, and they drew heavily from American comics. Some of the characters are just plain copying with a little modifications, like Godam, which is basically an combination of Thor and Superman, and Gundala, which is like Flash but with more lightning power based. But generally their movie adaptation isn't so good and therefore there aren't many of them. IIRC correctly only Gundala got a movie adaptation, as it was extremely popular in the 80s. Another one that I remember was Rama, which is a copycat of Shazam, a kid got a magic item that could turn him into an adult superhero.

We did however produced many period fantasy martial art movies before the industry crashed around 1990s, like Tutur Tinular or Saur Sepuh, which is an epic martial arts drama sets in the far past that spans several movies. The Raid is actually more similar to the 80s Hong Kong action movies, since Gareth Evans is a big fan those. He just make an Indonesian version of it.

Thankfully the movie industry is making a comeback recently and they start producing more martial arts movies like Wiro Sableng and they just remake Gundala last year and those two were well received. There's talk of sequels and shared universe for the latter. Covid have put those plans into delay but hopefully we'll see more progress once the pandemic is over.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Adam West View Post
    Hi, Indonesian here.
    We actually have alot of superhero comics in the 50s and 60s, and they drew heavily from American comics. Some of the characters are just plain copying with a little modifications, like Godam, which is basically an combination of Thor and Superman, and Gundala, which is like Flash but with more lightning power based. But generally their movie adaptation isn't so good and therefore there aren't many of them. IIRC correctly only Gundala got a movie adaptation, as it was extremely popular in the 80s. Another one that I remember was Rama, which is a copycat of Shazam, a kid got a magic item that could turn him into an adult superhero.

We did however produced many period fantasy martial art movies before the industry crashed around 1990s, like Tutur Tinular or Saur Sepuh, which is an epic martial arts drama sets in the far past that spans several movies. The Raid is actually more similar to the 80s Hong Kong action movies, since Gareth Evans is a big fan those. He just make an Indonesian version of it.

Thankfully the movie industry is making a comeback recently and they start producing more martial arts movies like Wiro Sableng and they just remake Gundala last year and those two were well received. There's talk of sequels and shared universe for the latter. Covid have put those plans into delay but hopefully we'll see more progress once the pandemic is over.
    Thanks a lot. I hope it all works out for them. I might check some of those movies out

Why'd the industry crash, though?

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tien Long View Post
    Ha, thanks Vic Vega! As for further takes on the Shang-Chi trailer, here's what I posted over on the Shang-Chi Appreciation thread:

"Yeah, that was a good cry. The emotions were still there too. Watched the trailer again yesterday morning. Shed a couple of more tears. And yes, hopefully it will be that good when it comes out. There are a lot of reaction videos on YouTube right now and many are hyped about this movie. Indeed, the reason I was hyped was because the movie hit all of the marks. Many of the elements I said had to be in a Shang-Chi movie, the Kung Fu, the personality, the Asian/Asian-American culture, and especially the father/son dynamic, all of those elements were there. Additionally, they were beautifully distilled. All of those elements have been in Shang-Chi comics, but not fully articulated. Now the movie does that. Fantastic!

As for future Asian and Asian-American representation, I hope the movie fully breaks open that door. It seems to be riding the trend. CW's Kung Fu, Mortal Kombat, the Snake-Eyes movie, all of them have signficant Asian leads in martial arts. And let's not forget Warrior and Into The Badlands. That's good. I'll always be for Asians in martial arts. BUT, moving forward, Asians should be in other types of films. Dramas, comedies, and romances, Asians could be in the leads of all of those genres of film. We've seen a trend like this before. Bruce Lee emboldened Asians and showed them to be strong. But that established a stereotype of them just being the Kung Fu or Karate guy. Can't do that again."

I like this idea of everyman. The film could have easily gone the route of "mysterious Asian man meditating on top of a mountain" type of thing. There could have been scenes of Simu delivering fortune cookieisms. But no, Shang seems to be rather normal in this film.
    It's an really interesting take to me as with this version of Shang we have a character who has not just rejected his Father's implied villainy, but has embraced a lifestyle that is not overtly materialistic and is still content.

"I let you go your own way and what did it get you?" Shang's dad could be any highly accomplished parent angry that thier kid doesn't want to be a Lawyer or Doctor and is doing artsy stuff instead.

I really expected them to embrace the character's James Bondisms ('tho they could still do that later if they want). So all this was a pleasant surprise to me.

Never thought of Shang Chi as relatable before.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vic Vega View Post
    It's an really interesting take to me as with this version of Shang we have a character who has not just rejected his Father's implied villainy, but has embraced a lifestyle that is not overtly materialistic and is still content.

"I let you go your own way and what did it get you?" Shang's dad could be any highly accomplished parent angry that thier kid doesn't want to be a Lawyer or Doctor and is doing artsy stuff instead.

I really expected them to embrace the character's James Bondisms ('tho they could still do that later if they want). So all this was a pleasant surprise to me.

MCU heroes are nothing if not relatable (except maybe Hawkeye haha). That's how they've kept our interest. I think we'll see a lot about their fractured relationship

Did anyone feel the "what did it get you" paralleled Thanos's "where did that bring you"?

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    It is just a teaser about a property that most people are not familiar with intimately, Shang Chi is interesting enough there is not enough information on the movie to talk about, and most people aren't like Tien and crazy huge fans. We are aware of Shang Chi but it is not like we are knowledgeable on all aspects like Spiderman or Batman.

A Thread is going to off-track and self-correct at some point that is the nature of the forum this thread seems to be way off track with interesting things that really should be their own topic. I mean I started a thread for Trailers where people could put trailers for movies and discuss them. People can easily put trailer for their Bollywood and Nollywood movies and talk about them there but here seem the readily available place go figure.
    I actually made a thread to discuss independent and foreign superhero films last year that could always be used.

Ultimate Member

Given who 'dad' is, I think he expected less Doctor or Lawyer, and more 'I used these ten years to take over a couple of Eastern European countries for you,' or 'I toured the world and took every mixed martial arts trophy, in some cases from the cold, dead hands of their previous owners,' or 'I now run the criminal underworld of Madripoor, which is functionally the same thing as saying I run the government of Madripoor' or 'I single-handedly made this particular species of animal, which wasn't even on the endangered species list, extinct.'

Ultimate Member

I always wonder, why lawyer? Haven't they heard of lawyers' reputations?

Quote Originally Posted by Tofali View Post
    My post was mostly about the discussion in the thread being about other things than talking about Shang-Chi - that is why I concluded he must be uninteresting. I've never read Shang-Chi so I don't know if he is uninteresting but I'm still looking forward to watch the movie
    Understood bro. Hopefully, the EW.com interview and subsequent news on the movie will give you more info on the character.

Ha yeah, I like this idea of Shang in this movie embracing a lifestyle which isn't villiany but rather just a content life. In the comics, Shang tried to be a fisherman. Here he's just a valet singing karaoke. And the level of disappointment from his father is still the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    Given who 'dad' is, I think he expected less Doctor or Lawyer, and more 'I used these ten years to take over a couple of Eastern European countries for you,' or 'I toured the world and took every mixed martial arts trophy, in some cases from the cold, dead hands of their previous owners,' or 'I now run the criminal underworld of Madripoor, which is functionally the same thing as saying I run the government of Madripoor' or 'I single-handedly made this particular species of animal, which wasn't even on the endangered species list, extinct.'
    Speaking of which, yeah, this aspect of Shang makes him relatable, that of disappointment. After looking past the Kung Fu mastery, I realized that quality about Shang. And I realized just how great a story point it is. At the same time, it taps into something a lot of Asians feel, not meeting those parental expectations. For others it's not becoming the doctor or lawyer. For Shang, well, it's because he hasn't beaten Dr. Doom and taken over Latveria. That's an A- which equates to the Asian "F" for Shang's father .
    "I am a man of peace."

"A man of peace...who fights like ten tigers."

Quote Originally Posted by hareluyafan1 View Post
    My thoughts exactly. That's why I'm not watching this movie.
    I'm not taking the chance. No way am I giving Disney any of my money as long as they work with anything so loathsome.
    If you really want to try divorcing yourself from anything dealing with China, you might want to move out of the U.S. if you live there.

First Asian led Marvel movie and it opens with the father expressing disappointment at this son. Perfect.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    First Asian led Marvel movie and it opens with the father expressing disappointment at this son. Perfect.
    I always wonder why that's a thing.

I always wonder why that's a thing.
    I It's more of a disconnect between generations. "I worked so hard to get here and this is how you repay me".

In alot of Asian communities you are an extension of your family and expected to pass on certain values. That could range from religion to a business.

The disappointment comes from the burden of expectations. You didn't live up to some predetermined goal etc.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    It's a stereotype common in immigrant families. It's more of a disconnect between generations. "I worked so hard to get here and this is how you repay me".

In alot of Asian communities you are an extension of your family and expected to pass on certain values. That could range from religion to a business.
    But what about what the kid wants when they're an adult?

But what about what the kid wants when they're an adult?
    The stereotype is it's expected to be rigid and your desires are secondary. It's more a push to confirm and play it safe etc.

Real life is straightforward but some of what I talk about exists but not as intense as it sounds.