Page 17 of 32 FirstFirst ... 713141516171819202127 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

This is from another forum.

Now days a lot of nollywood movies are starting to make much better quality of films.

Here some more updated info.
    Film Production Companies Making Nollywood Movies Look Good

Movie production in Nigeria is funded by independent companies and groups. They provide all the resources and manpower they have to make a good movie. It is exciting to go 10 years back to look at the companies solidifying good movie production in Nollywood.
    Note: This list is not in any order.

Top 4 Nollywood production companies
    These production companies have made a lot of good Nollywood movies possible, and Nigerian movies will be a lot less entertaining without them.

#1 – The Entertainment Network (TEN)
    Operating under TEN Africa, a production and distribution company, TEN Entertainment has released a number of quality Nigerian movies. The company is proving that it can deliver great movies both by making these movies or acquiring them. At the minimum, one movie by TEN always comes out among the highest-grossing each year of release.

Movies by rising filmmakers as well as those by established filmmakers are on the list of releases. TEN has been behind a diverse lineup of great movies from Africa, including ‘Lionheart‘ and ‘Road to Yesterday’.

#2 – Inkblot
    Inkblot Productions company was founded by a group of people including Naz Onuzo, Zulumoke Oyibo, Damola Ademola and Omotayo Adeola. The Nigerian production company began with the intention to change the standard of movie-making in the region. They made and are still making high quality, commercially viable films and television shows.

Since founded in 2010, they have produced a number of good movies, including, ‘The Department’, ‘Out of Luck’, and ‘The Arbitration‘.

#3 – FilmOne Studios
    FilmOne Studios is the entertainment unit of FilmOne Company. The Nigerian production company provides high-end movie releases. They have advanced movie-making abilities and provide great movies. Of the top 10 highest-grossing movies of 2016, one came from FilmOne, ‘The Wedding Party’, though it was also a collaboration with other Nigerian production companies.

#4 – EbonyLife Films
    EbonyLife Films is another company that dedicates their time to get out as many African stories as possible.

Of the top 10 highest-grossing movies of all time, they have several titles. One of those includes ‘The Wedding Party’ which was a collaboration with other Nollywood production companies.

#5 – Golden Effects Pictures
    Kunle Afolayan is a filmmaking boss who has set up a rich trend in Nollywood with his production company Golden Effects Pictures.
    Kunle Afolayan has made immense contributions in the Nigerian film industry. His works including ‘The Figurine’ has drawn a large audience to Nollywood films in the last years. Kunle Afolayan also runs KAP Motion Pictures.

https://nollymania.com/nigerian-movi...ion-companies/
    Last edited by mace11; 04-22-2021 at 11:15 AM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    Do movies like Ratnik have high budgets?
    Here is link below.
    I posted a trailer.
    You could judge for yourself.
    THREAD: WHAT WILL BE DC'S ANSWER TO WHAT MIGHT BE AN AWESOME BLACK PANTHER MOVIE?
    https://community.cbr.com/showthread...alTrailer+2019

Ultimate Member

Nigeria has a massive film industry but the movies don't really have any budgets.

However, Nigerian movies REGULARLY outgross foreign movies in the country. Nigerians love their home made movies.

However, Netflix is making major moves in the market (which is significant because its the largest in Africa) and is injecting major capital in the movie industry. This content is for their platform though and in recent times, most of the foreign capital in the country has been concentrated in the IT sector (there's been a huge explosion of start-ups). Thus, the industry will most likely continue with the low budget approach.

Niffleheim

Shang-Chi seem not to be the central topic in this thread anymore. Shame.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tofali View Post
    Shang-Chi seem not to be the central topic in this thread anymore. Shame.
    We need more news!

Niffleheim

We need more news!
    Or Shang-Chi is just uninteresting.

Ultimate Member

Well, I'm sure he has enough fans to indicate he has some interesting qualities. Then again, Archangel has fans too!

BANNED

It will be interesting once Disney starts pumping how Shang-Chi is connected to Dr Strange 2, MCU Spiderman 3 or has a possible X-Men Easter Egg. this is going to be the seller of the film. Some people asking about the interest hype, does leave me confused because the trailer did not make you think of something new or different like the Joker or Logan trailers. I hate to say this but even the Mortal Kombat trailer looked far more interesting and different than Shang-Chi and I have no doubt Shang Chi will still get ''better reviews'' and still make more money because the cooperation has been so well built.

Also I am surprised Disney has not tried to use the film to address some of the racist hate on Asians that has been going on in the last year because of COVID. I guess that is something for their marketing department will be thinking about going forward. Snyder did use his Cut to address this issue because he has Asian children. I am sure Disney will also find a way to raise awareness with this film.

Extraordinary Member

It's hard for me to compare this to Mortal Kombat. I don't expect
    that film to be any good and I assume Shang Chi will be at least decent.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vic Vega View Post
    It's hard for me to compare this to Mortal Kombat. I don't expect
    that film to be any good and I assume Shang Chi will be at least decent.
    Video game movies aren't awful anymore, at least generally, so I'm expecting MK to be reasonable if not especially unique or memorable. The first 7 minutes released online looked ok

Video game movies aren't awful anymore, at least generally, so I'm expecting MK to be reasonable if not especially unique or memorable. The first 7 minutes released online looked ok
    I don't know about that...Monster Hunter was HORRIBLE!!!

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by 80sbaby View Post
    I don't know about that...Monster Hunter was HORRIBLE!!!
    Oh, I haven't watched that yet. I'm going off Detective Pikachu and Tomb Raider, which were reasonable, and WoW, which wasn't awful IMHO

Quote Originally Posted by Vic Vega View Post
    I was wondering what your take on this trailer was. This looks
    like a really interesting take on the character.

There's an everyman element to this that I didn't think was going to be there.
    Ha, thanks Vic Vega! As for further takes on the Shang-Chi trailer, here's what I posted over on the Shang-Chi Appreciation thread:

"Yeah, that was a good cry. The emotions were still there too. Watched the trailer again yesterday morning. Shed a couple of more tears. And yes, hopefully it will be that good when it comes out. There are a lot of reaction videos on YouTube right now and many are hyped about this movie. Indeed, the reason I was hyped was because the movie hit all of the marks. Many of the elements I said had to be in a Shang-Chi movie, the Kung Fu, the personality, the Asian/Asian-American culture, and especially the father/son dynamic, all of those elements were there. Additionally, they were beautifully distilled. All of those elements have been in Shang-Chi comics, but not fully articulated. Now the movie does that. Fantastic!

As for future Asian and Asian-American representation, I hope the movie fully breaks open that door. It seems to be riding the trend. CW's Kung Fu, Mortal Kombat, the Snake-Eyes movie, all of them have signficant Asian leads in martial arts. And let's not forget Warrior and Into The Badlands. That's good. I'll always be for Asians in martial arts. BUT, moving forward, Asians should be in other types of films. Dramas, comedies, and romances, Asians could be in the leads of all of those genres of film. We've seen a trend like this before. Bruce Lee emboldened Asians and showed them to be strong. But that established a stereotype of them just being the Kung Fu or Karate guy. Can't do that again."

I like this idea of everyman. The film could have easily gone the route of "mysterious Asian man meditating on top of a mountain" type of thing. There could have been scenes of Simu delivering fortune cookieisms. But no, Shang seems to be rather normal in this film.

That..................stings. A lot. The character has a lot of respect throughout the Marvel Universe. Cap, Wolverine, Black Panther, Daredevil, Black Widow, and Iron Fist have all given him props. Spider-Man is Shang's student. Shang routinely ranks as one of the best martial artists in the Marvel Universe. No serums, special herbs, mystical dragon hearts, healing factors, or radioactive spiders. Just his Kung Fu. Moreover, the father/son dynamic is his strongest character point. Shang could have had an empire. It was supposed to be his. But (up until recently anyway) he rejected it. Going against family, that resonates with a lot of people, Asians especially.

So no, I respectfully, yet really disagree with you there that Shang-Chi is uninteresting.
    "I am a man of peace."

"A man of peace...who fights like ten tigers."

Great interview with Simu on the Shang-Chi film. Gives great perspective on the Shang-Chi character and the acting dynamic among him, Akwafina, and Tony Leung, and having to shift directions because of Covid. Really like how he talks about his training. We mentioned before how Shang-Chi has to be authentic to the martial arts. Shang isn't doing just any regular types of martial arts. He's doing Kung Fu. He's got to look like Kung Fu. Simu addresses that in the interview and describes how right after Comic-Con he had a good six months of training to get ready for the role. That's a good chunk of time to get the basics down.

Here's the rest of the interview:
    "I am a man of peace."

"A man of peace...who fights like ten tigers."

Niffleheim

Quote Originally Posted by Tien Long View Post
    That..................stings. A lot. The character has a lot of respect throughout the Marvel Universe. Cap, Wolverine, Black Panther, Daredevil, Black Widow, and Iron Fist have all given him props. Spider-Man is Shang's student. Shang routinely ranks as one of the best martial artists in the Marvel Universe. No serums, special herbs, mystical dragon hearts, healing factors, or radioactive spiders. Just his Kung Fu. Moreover, the father/son dynamic is his strongest character point. Shang could have had an empire. It was supposed to be his. But (up until recently anyway) he rejected it. Going against family, that resonates with a lot of people, Asians especially.

So no, I respectfully, yet really disagree with you there that Shang-Chi is uninteresting.
    My post was mostly about the discussion in the thread being about other things than talking about Shang-Chi - that is why I concluded he must be uninteresting. I've never read Shang-Chi so I don't know if he is uninteresting but I'm still looking forward to watch the movie