Page 14 of 32 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516171824 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Frobisher View Post
    And people don't like it when the bullshit orientalist tropes are being done with a white lead actor either, a la Iron Fist. Could it be the tropes that are the problem?
    I don't think it is tropes, I mean you see the tropes all the time in the genre I mean good luck making a martial art movie without ninjas, gangster/mafia or swordsmen. It is American part that is the issue and it probably feels a little insulting selling authentic Asian stuff in diluted American package to an Asian audience and even worse telling them this is suppose to be a big thing for you. I think they could get away with if they were other Asian lead American movies but as the first one out of the gate, I can see how they might feel it is same typical America nonsense that they are selling as this great Asian stuff.
    Last edited by Killerbee911; 04-21-2021 at 03:47 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Lee View Post
    Apparently chinese people don't like the idea of this movie!
    The movie trailer is now reported to have recieved negative criticism in China, they don't like a chinese movie being made by the westerners.
    A lot of things to unpack here

If the Chinese or let me say the asian market would have any problem with the movie in the end, it will be because, the movie ended up offering nothing and just turned out to be another generic MCU movie, which from the trailer all the signs are pointing towards too. I got the Captain marvel vibe with maybe a little bit of dr strange from the trailer. Also I don't know if at this point it is bad stereotyping that the American western media described the trailer as action-packed.
    https://www.mediaite.com/tag/watch-m...h-anticipated/
    WATCH: Marvel Releases Much Anticipated, Action-Packed Trailer for Their First Asian Superhero Movie Shang-Chi

Yes, I know most 98% of marvel movies and series are action driven, I had to skip watching Flacon and Winter Solider because all the reviews and feedback of the series, kept on saying...it is action packed, and Honestly I am at a point where I can not just do action driven comic book anymore at a high pace because to say this is the most generic story style of comic stories is no longer a backhanded compliment. However, hearing the term used on an Asian movie, now feels like bad stereotyping because Hollywood has a bad history of seeing asisan actors as nothing more but martialists.

Now having gotten that social and film commentary out of the way. the trailer has all the making of your standard MCU Cooperate movie you have seen before and The Asian market, despite all the bizarre stereotypes about action packed movies with Asians. their standard can still be very high, even higher than the America market. I mean they did give us Naruto , Cowboy bebop and the Dragon Ball series.

Additionally when an Asian movie is good, regardless of the genre and even finds success in the western market, those movies were pure masterpiece level of film, this is the reason they could not be ignored or denied by the world and when I say the world it means the USA. Remember Bruce Lee's Enter the Dragon, Jackie Chan's Police Story, Ang Lee's Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon and even the recent Parasite.

So Asian entertainment do have their high artistic quality in cinema. So Do not be surprised, if they end up not liking Shang Chi or treat it as another Crazy Rich Asians type of movie. which may be the likely case here because both film seems more about the fun factor to attract the masses and it is now a broken record to say MCU movies have nothing to do with serious cinema art like the other past Asian movies that found success and earned high merit in many western places like USA or the UK.
    Last edited by Castle; 04-21-2021 at 04:30 AM.

three-time juror The Gold Stream's Avatar

no matter the continent marvel makes serviceable popcorn flicks, seems like they're wanting special attention

also enter the dragon was an american co-production with a u.s. writer + director i dont think it's in the same asian export category as the other three with so many westerners behind it

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by The Gold Stream View Post
    no matter the continent marvel makes serviceable popcorn flicks, seems like they're wanting special attention
    Yeah and this is why I have pointed out above that the movie may be a toss up in the Asian Market, although MCU movies do very well there, maybe it could be different when it is an Asian movie because it will be seen with a different eyes since it is now the actual Asians doing the judging of their own selves. It is almost like my sister telling me stories of when she went to university and she made friends with many Asian international students and for some odd reasons, they hated going to Chinese restaurants where the food was cooked by Americans. the same could apply here in film and of all the type of films, they get the most cooperate studio type of films with a Marvel Disney film.

Despite how the USA Media, will likely call this film the greatest thing ever as they do with MCU films. maybe some just want another Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon, which in irony could have been possible because Ang Lee made that movie and won an Oscar for it and Ang Lee did direct a Marvel film in 2003. However from the trailer, the signs are not pointing to that. they are indeed pointing to serviceable popcorn flicks.

they called it a teaser trailer so maybe between now and the official theatrical trailer they can do some PR and edits to appease whatever part of the audience isn't liking it, overall im pretty optimistic for it but not expecting phase 3 film gross
    Last edited by The Gold Stream; 04-21-2021 at 04:27 AM.

Geez people don't know when to stop

- Marvel movies do good in Asia
    That is a 53% and 42% approval rate(they are talking about Shang chi trailer) on the YouTube metric respectively. For comparison, the most recent Black Widow trailer had well above 99% approval rating on both accounts.
    Selling it as Marvel style being issue is complete garbage opinion, Fu Manchu/ Mandarin/Yellow peril connection alone is enough to be a turn off.

China is responsible for a chunk of Aquaman's billion dollars, It made 200 million in China, Pacific Rim made 100 million in China. Let not pretend China is about "high art" or marvel style doesn't work in China.

-Falcon and Winter Soldier are very much character driven drama as well episode 1 and 5 literally had one action scene at start then nothing but drama, The biggest moments in the show have been dramatic bits. Wyatt Russell and Carl Lumbly have been praised for their acting performances. F&WS has been about PTSD, Immigration Politics and Racism as much it been about action. The show has the right wing seal of approval getting called to woke or too political how does show all about action get called that?

Anyways moving on I hate just seeing silly comments go unchallenged
    Last edited by Killerbee911; 04-21-2021 at 04:37 AM.

BANNED

also enter the dragon was an american co-production with a u.s. writer + director i dont think it's in the same asian export category as the other three with so many westerners behind it
    This could be true. However it was a Bruce Lee movie and every Bruce Lee film had the Asian pride and global representation on its back even though Bruce had become a world wide global icon. Bruce Lee was still Asian cinema.

Ultimate Member

Yeah, Enter the Dragon is a WB co-production like a number of Bruce Lee movies at that time.

It was directed by an American I believe.

they called it a teaser trailer so maybe between now and the official theatrical trailer they can do some PR and edits to appease whatever part of the audience isn't liking it, overall im pretty optimistic for it but not expecting phase 3 film gross
    We still under Covid period nothing is going to perform crazy well at the box office, No movie is going to have long legs at the box office this year, I think it will take up late next year before things are normal again

marvel should get john woo to direct shang chi

Niffleheim

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    Geez people don't know when to stop

- Marvel movies do good in Asia

Selling it as Marvel style being issue is complete garbage opinion, Fu Manchu/ Mandarin/Yellow peril connection alone is enough to be a turn off. China is responsible for Aquaman a billion dollar movie, It made 200 million in China, Pafiic Rim made 100 million in China. Let not pretend China is about "high art".

-Falcon and Winter Soldier are very much character driven drama as well episode 1 and 5 literally had one action scene at start then nothing but character moments, The biggest moments in the show have dramatic bit. Wyatt Russell and Carl Lumbly have been praised for their acting performances. F&WS has been about PTSD, Immigration Politics and Racism as much it been about action. The show has the right wing seal of approval getting called to woke or too political how does show all about action get called that?

Anyways moving on I hate just seeing silly comments go unchallenged
    How have Hollywood Asian centric movies fared in the Asian market?

I hope Marvel concentrates mainly on US Box Office and try to beat or come close to its highest solo movie.
    Last edited by Tofali; 04-21-2021 at 04:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    I don't think it is tropes, I mean you see the tropes all the time in the genre I mean good luck making a martial art movie without ninjas, gangster/mafia or swordsmen. It is American part that is the issue and it probably feels a little insulting selling authentic Asian stuff in diluted American package to an Asian audience and even worse telling them this is suppose to be a big thing for you. I think they could get away with if they were other Asian lead American movies but as the first one out of the gate, I can see how they might feel it is same typical America nonsense that they are selling as this great Asian stuff.
    It'll be the same sort of problems that British Captain Britain fans had when Chris Claremont brought out Excalibur: portrayals of English culture felt like they were very much how Americans viewed us as opposed to reality, there was a lot of old-fashioned themed stuff instead of showing us as modern and up-to-date; and looking at the way that the writer treated CB compared to say Captain America or the other heroes, I know I felt we'd been given the short end of the stick. I think you're always going to have this problem when you've got a company selling you a product that is supposedly about you/for you, but which is actually geared to there own wants and needs.

I'm sure the film will make good money, just perhaps not as much as they were hoping for in the Chinese market.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Tofali View Post
    How have Hollywood Asian centric movies fared in the Asian market?

I hope Marvel concentrates mainly on US Box Office and try to beat or come close to its highest solo movie
    I don't think this is their mission. Marvel wants the film to be another Black Panther, the African American community came out in high numbers to see that movie as well as many other african people not part of the USA, regardless of what their artistic views or personal thoughts on the movie were, at least they saw it and brought the money.....they showed Disney the money. Marvel wants that for Shang Chi and maybe even 10x more because we already have Fast and Furious, an almost American cast doing billions in the Asian market.

marvel should get john woo to direct shang chi
    They can't. John Woo is mostly a director driven artist. Ang Lee would on paper have been the best to get, because of his past experiences with classic Asian cinema and the comic genre. however it is hard to imagine the directors of Face Off, Life of Pi, Crouching tiger hidden Dragon been asked not do any primary directing of their own on a film they are listed as directors.
    Last edited by Castle; 04-21-2021 at 05:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Castle View Post
    This could be true. However it was a Bruce Lee movie and every Bruce Lee film had the Asian pride and global representation on its back even though Bruce had become a world wide global icon. Bruce Lee was still Asian cinema.
    Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    Yeah, Enter the Dragon is a WB co-production like a number of Bruce Lee movies at that time.

It was directed by an American I believe.
    There is no "Could Be True..."

Warner Brothers brought in Heller/Weintraub to produce the film.