Page 15 of 32 FirstFirst ... 511121314151617181925 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    There is no "Could Be True..."

Warner Brothers brought in Heller/Weintraub to produce the film.
    I said could be true because I have no deep knowledge about the making of Enter the Dragon and I was too occupied with other things to do a research until now. All I know was it was a Bruce Lee movie and back then many Bruce Lee's films basically was box office gold, enter the dragon made 350 million world wide, in todays money stands at 1.2 billion and it was all down to Bruce Lee's star power as the face of Asian cinema.
    Last edited by Castle; 04-21-2021 at 06:58 AM.

Astonishing Member OopsIdiditagain's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Castle View Post
    I don't think this is their mission. Marvel wants the film to be another Black Panther, the African American community came out in high numbers to see that movie as well as many other african people not part of the USA, regardless of what their artistic views or personal thoughts on the movie were, at least they saw it and brought the money.....they showed Disney the money. Marvel wants that for Shang Chi and maybe even 10x more because we already have Fast and Furious, an almost American cast doing billions in the Asian market.
    Black Panther broke records in several African countries. It would be cool if Shang Chi can do the same.
    december 21st has passed where are my superpowers?

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by OopsIdiditagain View Post
    Black Panther broke records in several African countries. It would be cool if Shang Chi can do the same.
    I've heard Marvel doesn't do so well in Japan. Is that true?

Mighty Member

What is all this I am hearing that the Chinese (in China, not Western Chinese) are complaining about Shang Chi....

Can someone please give insight into this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    I've heard Marvel doesn't do so well in Japan. Is that true?
    Spider-Man and the X-Men are popular in Japan.

Quote Originally Posted by Besouro View Post
    What is all this I am hearing that the Chinese (in China, not Western Chinese) are complaining about Shang Chi....

Can someone please give insight into this.
    https://thedirect.com/article/marvel...ative-reaction

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Ok. I knew Spider-Man was, but not X-Men

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    That popularity came more from comic book fans or long lorn geek fans and besides we should not forget that Spiderman and X-Men and perhaps Hulk were the only marvel series that had any real pop culture significance without needing movies. The movie business is a completely different thing and it is not even in Japan alone. There are many MCU fans in the USA who have never read a marvel comic book before, some of the MCU fans I have come to know quite well have told me they dont read or care about marvel comics.

This however though has worked to Marvel's advantage and will continue to do so because the real allure of their movies is not about the comics but how connected their movies are and this is the real germ, Marvel is going to continue to rely on the make sure all their films stays successful. Once the marketing starts and focuses on how Shang Chi is a major part of the MCU and is setting up something big to come i n the MCU. Movie audiences world wide will flock to see it, despite any lukewarm reception from Asian Audiences.
    Last edited by Castle; 04-21-2021 at 10:49 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by OopsIdiditagain View Post
    Yeah, I said the same about Black Panther. the movie made a huge splash in places like Nigeria, Ghana, Zimbabwe and so on. West Africa countries in particular really got into the Wakanda phenomenon

On paper it should not be harder for Hollywood to crack the Asian market with an all Asian cast also.

Western live action generally don't do super well in Japan.

James Cameron movies, Star Wars, the first Harry Potter series, the Pirates of the Caribbean series, the Jurassic Parks/Worlds, Matrix stuff, and Lord of The Rings are the notable exceptions. For many decades, Japan was largest overseas market for Hollywood (both live action and animation) until China beat them few years ago. Spider-Man is the only Western superhero IP to crack the top 35 in Japan. Out of the top 10 Western superhero movies in Japan, only 3 are not a Spider-Man movie (Endgame, Infinity War, and Batman 89 with Deadpool and Joker hot on 89's heels. All the Avengers are behind them, followed by the X-men to round out the top 20). The top 3 are still Raimi's Spider-Man trilogy.

For perspective, Terminator 3 made more money in Japan than any Western super movie to date.

Animation and musicals are a whole other ballgame though. Japan loves those. And if you combine them!? Prepare for a nuclear box office!

Obviously, this means we need a hybrid musical/live action/animated Dazzler movie!
    Last edited by BeastieRunner; 04-21-2021 at 11:53 AM. Reason: *WIZAM*
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    Western live action generally don't do super well in Japan.

James Cameron movies, Star Wars, the first Harry Potter series, the Pirates of the Caribbean series, the Jurassic Parks/Worlds, Matrix stuff, and Lord of The Rings are the notable exceptions. For many decades, Japan was largest overseas market for Hollywood (both live action and animation) until China beat them few years ago. Spider-Man is the only Western superhero IP to crack the top 35 in Japan. Out of the top 10 Western superhero movies in Japan, only 3 are not a Spider-Man movie (Endgame, Infinity War, and Batman 89 with Deadpool and Joker hot on 89's heels. All the Avengers are behind them, followed by the X-men to round out the top 20). The top 3 are still Raimi's Spider-Man trilogy.

For perspective, Terminator 3 made more money in Japan than any Western super movie to date.

Animation and musicals are a whole other ballgame though. Japan loves those. And if you combine them!? Prepare for a nuclear box office!

Obviously, this means we need a hybrid musical/live action/animated Dazzler movie!
    I feel it might be because Japan has so many homegrown heroes across many media. Does any other nation besides the USA have anything comparable?

Idk if a Dazzler movie would be any good though. What's the appeal?

I feel it might be because Japan has so many homegrown heroes across many media. Does any other nation besides the USA have anything comparable?

Idk if a Dazzler movie would be any good though. What's the appeal?
    The Dazzler thing is a joke.

Tokusatsu, which encompasses all things like sentai and daikaiju in Japan, is more of a catch-all genre for any live-action film that uses special effects.

The nearest approximate would be the old Hollywood term for "B" movies, which are now the dominate box office movies.

The only other country that produces live-action films that have sentai or super hero bends in the same amount would be India. It is not abnormal for a person to pick up a car to block a bunch of bullets in what would otherwise be a pedestrian action flick in India. India and their Indonesian cinema counterpart produce a lot of super hero fare and things akin to sentai.

There are others, but I would say Japan/USA/India/Indonesia are the dominant producers of "super" media. Mexico has lucha libre that bend into super hero territory, too. It is hard to travel there and not see that as part of their culture.
    Last edited by BeastieRunner; 04-21-2021 at 12:31 PM.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    The Dazzler thing is a joke.

Tokusatsu, which encompasses all things like sentai and daikaiju in Japan, is more of a catch-all genre for any live-action film that uses special effects.

The nearest approximate would be the old Hollywood term for "B" movies, which are now the dominate box office movies.

The only other country that produces live-action films that have sentai or super hero bends in the same amount would be India. It is not abnormal for a person to pick up a car to block a bunch of bullets in what would otherwise be a pedestrian action flick in India. India and their Indonesian cinema counterpart produce a lot of super hero fare and things akin to sentai.

There are others, but I would say Japan/USA/India/Indonesia are the dominant producers of "super" media.
    Even within tokusatsu, I think a lot of anime and manga characters fulfill the same niche characters like Spider-Man do in American media. Even Godzilla and Gamera do that to some extent

India has a massive movie industry. But I've rarely seen any Hindi-language movie with an actual superhero type character. Idk what the comics are like there.

I haven't seen many Indonesian movies, but the Raid: Redemption had some of the most insane martial arts I've ever seen. Idk if there are many Indonesian superhero comics or shows/movies.

I know Nigeria has a big film industry, but idk much more about that

Even within tokusatsu, I think a lot of anime and manga characters fulfill the same niche characters like Spider-Man do in American media. Even Godzilla and Gamera do that to some extent

India has a massive movie industry. But I've rarely seen any Hindi-language movie with an actual superhero type character. Idk what the comics are like there.

I haven't seen many Indonesian movies, but the Raid: Redemption had some of the most insane martial arts I've ever seen. Idk if there are many Indonesian superhero comics or shows/movies.

I know Nigeria has a big film industry, but idk much more about that
    Mr. India, Shiva Ka Insaaf, Superman (and sequels), Guru, Alag, Droona (it has been remade twice), Chakra, Bhavesh Joshi Superhero, Hero, Hamera Hero, and Sniff off the top of my head.

You can watch pretty much any action movie and expect to see some inhuman feat. Like the Singham series ...

Raj and Raja Comics were big in the 80s, very super centric but had more genre choices unlike DC/Marvel of the 80s.

I said could be true because I have no deep knowledge about the making of Enter the Dragon and I was too occupied with other things to do a research until now. All I know was it was a Bruce Lee movie and back then many Bruce Lee's films basically was box office gold, enter the dragon made 350 million world wide, in todays money stands at 1.2 billion and it was all down to Bruce Lee's star power as the face of Asian cinema.
    Yet it was on a list of "Asian..." films...

Additionally when an Asian movie is good, regardless of the genre and even finds success in the western market, those movies were pure masterpiece level of film, this is the reason they could not be ignored or denied by the world and when I say the world it means the USA. Remember Bruce Lee's Enter the Dragon, Jackie Chan's Police Story, Ang Lee's Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon and even the recent Parasite.

So Asian entertainment do have their high artistic quality in cinema. So Do not be surprised, if they end up not liking Shang Chi or treat it as another Crazy Rich Asians type of movie. which may be the likely case here because both film seems more about the fun factor to attract the masses and it is now a broken record to say MCU movies have nothing to do with serious cinema art like the other past Asian movies that found success and earned high merit in many western places like USA or the UK.

(Never Mind That It Having Been Directed By A Guy With A Background In American Television Undercuts Most Of What Was Asserted...)