Page 16 of 32 FirstFirst ... 612131415161718192026 ... LastLast
    Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    Mr. India, Shiva Ka Insaaf, Superman (and sequels), Guru, Alag, Droona (it has been remade twice), Chakra, Bhavesh Joshi Superhero, Hero, Hamera Hero, and Sniff off the top of my head.

You can watch pretty much any action movie and expect to see some inhuman feat. Like the Singham series ...

Raj and Raja Comics were big in the 80s, very super centric but had more genre choices unlike DC/Marvel of the 80s.
    I've seen a few of those movies. I've seen other Hindi action movies, and the main guys always seem to do superhuman feats without any actual superpowers, unless it's one of those hyper-gritty crime movies

I've heard of Raj, but not read any

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    I've seen a few of those movies. I've seen other Hindi action movies, and the main guys always seem to do superhuman feats without any actual superpowers, unless it's one of those hyper-gritty crime movies

I've heard of Raj, but not read any
    I would argue a lot of American cinema has had action film stars that were basically super heroes, clear on back to the 1950s Westerns but that is not the point of the thread.

Droona is actually pretty good. A lot of the 80s and 90s Indian super hero films are ... not very good. Raj is about like what you would expect from DC or Marvel quality wise ... hit and miss. Inspector Steel being my favorite.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Ultimate Member

I would argue a lot of American cinema has had action film stars that were basically super heroes, clear on back to the 1950s Westerns but that is not the point of the thread.

Droona is actually pretty good. A lot of the 80s and 90s Indian super hero films are ... not very good. Raj is about like what you would expect from DC or Marvel quality wise ... hit and miss. Inspector Steel being my favorite.
    I've seen Mr. India and Krrish, because they're fairly notable. I'll check out Droona

I haven't seen many Indonesian movies, but the Raid: Redemption had some of the most insane martial arts I've ever seen. Idk if there are many Indonesian superhero comics or shows/movies.
    There have been two in recent years - Valentine (renamed Valentine the Dark Avenger here in the west) and Gundala. Both actually are supposed to be the starts of their own "shared cinematic universe" ala the MCU, although neither has produced a sequel/spin-off yet, although Gundala's shared universe (Bumilangit Cinematic Universe aka the BCU) is the furthest ahead.

Mr. India, Shiva Ka Insaaf, Superman (and sequels), Guru, Alag, Droona (it has been remade twice), Chakra, Bhavesh Joshi Superhero, Hero, Hamera Hero, and Sniff off the top of my head.
    I know the one in bold is currently on Netflix, there any other India superhero film easy to watch here in the west/US?

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    There have been two in recent years - Valentine (renamed Valentine the Dark Avenger here in the west) and Gundala. Both actually are supposed to be the starts of their own "shared cinematic universe" ala the MCU, although neither has produced a sequel/spin-off yet, although Gundala's shared universe (Bumilangit Cinematic Universe aka the BCU) is the furthest ahead.
    I had no idea. I might check it out.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tien Long View Post
    Wrote about this in the Shang-Chi Appreciation thread, but honestly I fucking cried when I first saw that trailer. After all these years of championing this character, I'm so happy to see him finally show up on the big screen. I finally get to see a character like me stand next to Captain America, Spider-Man, Black Panther, Iron Man, the Avengers, and the rest of the MCU. On another note, the character speaks to these times. Shang-Chi reminds me that I'm not a virus. Or a victim. I'm a hero.

Happy to see the movie trending #1 on YouTube right now.

In any case, here is a link to an EW.com story on the movie:
    https://ew.com/movies/shang-chi-and-...iu-first-look/

So excited to see this now!
    I was wondering what your take on this trailer was. This looks
    like a really interesting take on the character.

There's an everyman element to this that I didn't think was going to be there.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic Vega View Post
    I was wondering what your take on this trailer was. This looks
    like a really interesting take on the character.

There's an everyman element to this that I didn't think was going to be there.
    Agreed.

I had this feeling that what they were going to do would be around ninety percent Secret Avengers #18.

While that is a great version of the character, I am glad that this looks like it will be just a bit more grounded than that.

Mighty Member

Even within tokusatsu, I think a lot of anime and manga characters fulfill the same niche characters like Spider-Man do in American media. Even Godzilla and Gamera do that to some extent

India has a massive movie industry. But I've rarely seen any Hindi-language movie with an actual superhero type character. Idk what the comics are like there.

I haven't seen many Indonesian movies, but the Raid: Redemption had some of the most insane martial arts I've ever seen. Idk if there are many Indonesian superhero comics or shows/movies.

I know Nigeria has a big film industry, but idk much more about that
    Indonesia, Japan, India, Phillipines and at sometime China has/had a fairly big superhero sub-culture.

India has made some superhero movies in the last 10-15years like Krrish (3 movies), Flying Jatt, and Ra-One. They also have superhero comics going back to the 80's with Nagraj (basically snake-man, if u think Spiderman is creative with his webs then u would be blown away with how this guy's uses snakes) and Shakyimaan (basically a Hindu/Buddhist version of Superman who he had cartoons and live action series). There are MANY others like Inspector Steel, Parmanu, Super Commando Dhruva, Shakti, Devi, etc.

Phillipines has probably the most live action tv show adaptations of their superheroes with Darna (think Wonder Woman) and Captain Barbell being the most popular amongst many others like Lastikman, Gagamboy, Wapakboy, Flash bomber, Batang X, etc.

CBR also made an article about Phillipines made superheroes in Jan- 2021:

https://www.cbr.com/must-read-philippines-comics/amp/

China tried it's hand at Western style superhero movies with Silverhawk (starring Michelle Yeoh and features Michael Jai White), Black Mask (2 movies- the 1st one starred Jet Li) and The Heroic Trio. There are probably others

Indonesia has also had comics for a few decades with Gundala being the most popular (live action movie was released a few years ago), amongst other superheroes like Tira, Godam, Maza, Sri Asih, Aquanus, Nusantara, etc

South Korea- There are probably many superhero manhwas (sp?) But I don't know any personally or even any Superhero movies or series that they have.

Thailand- The have had at least 2 or 3 superhero movies in the last 10years or so. I recall Mercury man and Red Eagle in particular.

That's my knowledge so far on Asian made western-style superhero comics.

Nigeria recently started it's own superhero comics industry and is leading the charge in Africa with some other small publishers in other African countries popping up but nowhere close to the lead of Nigerian comicbook publishers primarily....

Comic Republic= https://m.thecomicrepublic.com/home.html ... PLENTY of FREE comics to read

Vortex comics= https://vortex247.com/. .... You can find some of their comics also on Issuu. They even made some animation shorts on YouTube (HeroCorp animation and Strikeguard animation on Spoof animation YouTube channel).

YouNeek studiios-= n American based- Nigerian owned graphic novel and animation studio which start d with a Kickstarter campaign and has had many more successful Kickstarter crowdfunding since it's inception.

https://youneekstudios.com/

The owner made a few animations as well released on YouTube- Malika Warrior Queen animation pilot and E.X.O animation trailer.

YouNeek studios recently signed an exclusive 10 titles distribution deal with Darkhorse studios in January 2021:

https://www.darkhorse.com/Blog/3263/...ouneek-studios

Nigeria also had an old British owned comic in the 70s named Powerman aka Powerbolt

South Africa- Has a superhero comic called Kwesi/ KWEZI.

Odd fact here: Back in the day (70s), the pro-apartheid South African government also had a comic named Mighty Man.

https://www.***************.co.za/ap...uth-day-2018-6

https://idep.library.ucla.edu/afri-comics
    Last edited by Besouro; 04-22-2021 at 12:09 AM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    From what I've seen they think Sima is ugly. So I don't really don't pay attention to that. Bet the movies does gangbusters over there despite all the nonsense.
    Sima is a decent looking dude. He is just not a Canto Pop idol.

For the crowd that expects pretty boys in everything he is a left field choice. That's one of the cool things about him being cast.

If this was an HK/Mainland product he would have never gotten a look in as the lead. Frankly, If the usual suspects would have had thier way,Tony Leung would have had a better chance for the part of the MC instead of the father and he's about 20 years too old at least.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Besouro View Post
    Indonesia, Japan, India, Phillipines and at sometime China has/had a fairly big superhero sub-culture.

India has made some superhero movies in the last 10-15years like Krrish (3 movies), Flying Jatt, and Ra-One. They also have superhero comics going back to the 80's with Nagraj (basically snake-man, if u think Spiderman is creative with his webs then u would be blown away with how this guy's uses snakes) and Shakyimaan (basically a Hindu/Buddhist version of Superman who he had cartoons and live action series). There are MANY others like Inspector Steel, Parmanu, Super Commando Dhruva, Shakti, Devi, etc.

Phillipines has probably the most live action tv show adaptations of their superheroes with Darna (think Wonder Woman) and Captain Barbell being the most popular amongst many others like Lastikman, Gagamboy, Wapakboy, Flash bomber, Batang X, etc.

CBR also made an article about Phillipines made superheroes in Jan- 2021:

https://www.cbr.com/must-read-philippines-comics/amp/

China tried it's hand at Western style superhero movies with Silverhawk (starring Michelle Yeoh and features Michael Jai White), Black Mask (2 movies- the 1st one starred Jet Li) and The Heroic Trio. There are probably others

Indonesia has also had comics for a few decades with Gundala being the most popular (live action movie was released a few years ago), amongst other superheroes like Tira, Godam, Maza, Sri Asih, Aquanus, Nusantara, etc

South Korea- There are probably many superhero manhwas (sp?) But I don't know any personally or even any Superhero movies or series that they have.

Thailand- The have had at least 2 or 3 superhero movies in the last 10years or so. I recall Mercury man and Red Eagle in particular.

That's my knowledge so far on Asian made western-style superhero comics.

Nigeria recently started it's own superhero comics industry and is leading the charge in Africa with some other small publishers in other African countries popping up but nowhere close to the lead of Nigerian comicbook publishers primarily....

Comic Republic= https://m.thecomicrepublic.com/home.html ... PLENTY of FREE comics to read

Vortex comics= https://vortex247.com/. .... You can find some of their comics also on Issuu. They even made some animation shorts on YouTube (HeroCorp animation and Strikeguard animation on Spoof animation YouTube channel).

YouNeek studiios-= n American based- Nigerian owned graphic novel and animation studio which start d with a Kickstarter campaign and has had many more successful Kickstarter crowdfunding since it's inception.

https://youneekstudios.com/

The owner made a few animations as well released on YouTube- Malika Warrior Queen animation pilot and E.X.O animation trailer.

YouNeek studios recently signed an exclusive 10 titles distribution deal with Darkhorse studios in January 2021:

https://www.darkhorse.com/Blog/3263/...ouneek-studios

Nigeria also had an old British owned comic in the 70s named Powerman aka Powerbolt

South Africa- Has a superhero comic called Kwesi/ KWEZI.

Odd fact here: Back in the day (70s), the pro-apartheid South African government also had a comic named Mighty Man.

https://www.***************.co.za/ap...uth-day-2018-6

https://idep.library.ucla.edu/afri-comics
    This is pretty extensive. IMO the odd thing about Krrish is it's a sequel to a movie about a friendly ET-like alien

Quote Originally Posted by Vic Vega View Post
    Sima is a decent looking dude. He is just not a Canto Pop idol.

For the crowd that expects pretty boys in everything he is a left field choice. That's one of the cool things about him being cast.

If this was an HK/Mainland product he would have never gotten a look in as the lead. Frankly, If the usual suspects would have had thier way,Tony Leung would have had a better chance for the part of the MC instead of the father and he's about 20 years too old at least.
    Well, it's not like Hollywood has been quick to cast Asian leads either. Basically stuck between a rock and a hard plce

Extraordinary Member

South africa also has another superhero comic with a female lead called Captain South Africa (2015-present) and a male lead superhero tv series called JONGO.

Nigeria has also made a superhero movie called Ratnik (2019)and they also make animated superheroes shows/films and also make superhero live action short films as well.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by mace11 View Post
    South africa also has another superhero comic with a female lead called Captain South Africa (2015-present) and a male lead superhero tv series called JONGO.

Nigeria has also made a superhero movie called Ratnik (2019)and they also make animated superheroes shows/films and also make superhero live action short films as well
    Anytime I hear of Nigeria or let me say Nollywood I just sigh, there is so much potential, they have some great actors and even some of their films like osuofia in london did find some western success but they have no studios, and their government could care about their movie industry. I am surprised Disney has not even cared to build an office in nigeria. I will have to check out Ratnik in my spare time.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by mace11 View Post

Nigeria has also made a superhero movie called Ratnik (2019)and they also make animated superheroes shows/films and also make superhero live action short films as well.
    About Nigerian movies, a lot of the clips I've seen seem to come from movies with low budgets. Do movies like Ratnik have high budgets?

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Castle View Post
    Anytime I hear of Nigeria or let me say Nollywood I just sigh, there is so much potential, they have some great actors and even some of their films like osuofia in london did find some western success but they have no studios, and their government could care about their movie industry. I am surprised Disney has not even cared to build an office in nigeria. I will have to check out Ratnik in my spare time.
    Nigeria has three major movie studios.
    Nigerian film studios
    Studio Tinapa
    Rok Studios
    Inkblot Productions

This was posted a couple of year ago.

Nollywood improves quality, leaps to N1.72trn revenue in 2013

Author: FUNKE OSAE-BROWN

The enhanced production and content quality of Nigerian films indicate the growing professionalism in Nollywood (the Nigerian movie sector) with the industry making an average of N1.72 trillion in 2013 analysts say.

In the last five years, the industry has been growing in terms of quality. Little wonder it has been rated the third most valuable movie industry in the world, behind Hollywood and Bollywood. The development has also impacted on returns.

Robert Orya, managing director, Nigerian Export-Import Bank (NEXIM), says Nollywood ranks third globally in revenue. According to him, the revenue the film industry has generated in the last three years is between $300 million and $800 million.

“The global film and entertainment industry generated about $90.6 billion revenue in 2010,” Orya explains, saying “the revenue increased to $102.7 billion in 2012. Most of these revenue streams are from theatrical distribution. North America contributed the largest market share of about 40 percent. Europe, Middle East and Africa accounted for 24 percent, Latin America 20 percent, and Asia Pacific made only 3 percent contribution.”

Victor Okhai, film maker, says a new crop of film makers began to bring professionalism into the industry in the past few years, which explains the improvement in the quality of films produced lately. Those who fall into this group include Tunde Kelani with movies like ‘Thunderbolt’ (‘Magun’), Tade Ogidan with ‘Dangerous Twins,’ Richard Mofe Damijo’s ‘Out of Bounds,’ Ego Boyo with ‘30 Days,’ the Amstel Malta Box Office series.

“It is expected that the quality of films will improve,” says Okhai. “We are at a stage where we can no longer play the mediocre. We have discovered that when we attend film festivals, we realised that nobody pays attention to Nollywood films. They look at the industry with disdain at these film festivals. Then local film makers came back home to do some serious work. Many film makers are challenged by what they see at film festivals,” he says.

The year 2013 witnessed the birth of the most expensive film in Nollywood, “Half of a Yellow Sun,” which cost about N1.27 billion ($8m) to make. The movie, an adaptation of Chimanmanda Ngozi Adichie’s novel, “Half of a Yellow Sun,” was shot at Tinapa Film Studio, Cross River State, and in the United Kingdom.

Before ‘Half of a Yellow Sun,’ ‘Tango with Me’ produced by Mahmoud Ali-Balogun, ranked the most expensive film. Shot with the latest Kodak 35mm camera, ‘Tango with Me’ costs over N50 million to make, says Ali-Balogun. In a bid to make a difference in an industry populated by poorly produced films, Balogun travelled to Bulgaria to master film technology. The end product of the trip was an outstanding film that ‘Half of a Yellow Sun’ has rivalled.

Industry analysts say the return of the cinemas has offered a veritable platform for film makers to escape the open market that has been largely taken over by pirates. By first showing their movies at the cinemas, film producers are assured of getting returns on their investments. But Okhai observes that this will not be possible with bad production quality.

“Cinemas cannot project poor quality films,” explains Okhai, as “your flaws as a film producer are blown in proportion to the size of the screen. Film makers in the Diaspora are returning home to show how good films are made abroad. Their films are changing the way local film producers are making films.”

Truly, not a few well-produced films have been commercially successful at the cinemas. In 2013, ‘The Meeting’ produced by Mildred Okwo and Afolayan’s ‘Phone Swap’ also recorded huge commercial success. In 2009 for instance, Stephanie Okereke’s movie, ‘Through the Glass,’ premiered at the cinemas making over N10 million. This was followed by Kunle Afolayan’s ‘The Figurine’ becoming the first local film to make over N30 million in the cinemas. Chineze Anyaene’s film, ‘Ije,’ also recorded tremendous success at the cinemas, making over N57 million and viewed by an estimated 14,000 people. In 2010, ‘Ije’ was reputed to be Nigeria’s highest selling movie in the cinemas, returning to the cinemas three times that year. Its success was next to Hollywood’s ‘Avatar.’ ‘Anchor Baby’ produced by Lonzo Nzekwe also made over N17 million.

In a report, the United Nations Educational, Science and Cultural Organisation (UNESCO) stated that the Nigerian film industry produces more than 2,400 films per year. This figure places Nollywood ahead of the United State’s Hollywood and behind India’s Bollywood. However, a CNN 2013 report shows that Nollywood is worth US$250 million producing 200 home videos monthly.

The commercial viability of the film industry prompted President Goodluck Jonathan to make available an additional sum of N3billion as grant to the film industry. The grant is to be supervised by the Minister of Finance, Ngozi Okonjo -Iweala and Minister of culture, tourism and national orientation, Edem Duke. The grant tagged “Project Nollywood” was commissioned in the first week of April. In addition, the Akwa-Ibom state governor, Godswill Akpabio donated the sum of 50 million naira to the industry as the President’s award for creativity.

However, industry practitioners say the prospect for Nollywood is huge in 2014 if government can adequately curb piracy that has been plaguing it for more than twenty years.

“The issue of piracy and infrastructure,” says Amaka Igwe, filmmaker, “which the President promised to look into must be taken seriously for Nollywood to thrive. We cannot afford to continue with this trend at all. We must be able to get return on our investments as practitioners in the industry.”

http://businessday***********/2013/1...venue-in-2013/