Page 27 of 32 FirstFirst ... 17232425262728293031 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    Okay, got it. Only DC movies with female leads have actually earned legit praise.

...you know that we know of Harley Quinn and Birds of Prey, right?
    Catwoman and Supergirl were DC movies and they did not get legit praise lol. Additionally it was never really about DC. it was more about a director called Patty Jenkins. DC movies were even seen as an eye sore around that time before Wonder Woman.

I just looked at the film credits of the Shang CHI director. Destin Daniel Cretton. He has not had his one big break through moment yet, although Just Mercy was successful for an indie smaller kind of the film. But I would not say he is a big house hold name.

If Shang CHI does have the quality of Wonder Woman, I am sure this will and should propel Destin Daniel Cretton to Patty Jenkins level kind of fame, she got after Wonder Woman in 2017.
    Last edited by Castle; 08-18-2021 at 05:16 PM.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Castle View Post
    Catwoman and Supergirl were DC movies and they did not legit praise.. Additionally it was never really about DC. it was more about a director called Patty Jenkins. lol

I just looked at the film credits of the Shgn CHI director. He has not had his one big break through moment yet, although Just Mercy was successful for an indie smaller kind of the film. But I would not say he is a big house hold name.

If Shang CHI does have the quality of Wonder Woman, I am sure this will and should propel Destin Daniel Cretton to Patty Jenkins level kind of fame, she got after Wonder Woman 2017.
    lol, had to reach far back for those ones. You know that most people don't like the first Cap movie, right? And by first, I mean the 80s one

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    lol, had to reach far back for those ones. You know that most people don't like the first Cap movie, right? And by first, I mean the 80s one
    How many recent female DC films are there in recent years? I think we need to focus back on Shang CHI. This is a new clip released late last week.

Now I am a bit worried about the CGI from this clip because it looks like a drop from the 2008 Hulk movie. I wonder why that is, obviously this is a topic that needs discussion instead of shifting goal post to horrifying accusation that some of us are alt right. Maybe and Hopefully this will look much better on screen when you watch it. I say this from many past experience story reasons that relates to the quality of a film when it is a POC cast and how much effort the studio may put in them.
    Last edited by Castle; 08-18-2021 at 03:05 PM.

Extraordinary Member

Saying you like movies whose lead characters are POC doesn't mean you can't still feel (unjustifiably) slighted when certain movies aren't set at the default. That's like saying you can't be racist just because you like Motown.
    Last edited by phonogram12; 08-18-2021 at 03:11 PM.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by phonogram12 View Post
    Saying you like movies whose lead characters are POC doesn't mean you can't still vastly prefer the default. That's like saying you can't be racist just because you like Motown.
    Actually I am black, born in Lagos Nigeria, My parents moved to USA when I was a kid. I have a lot of Jewish family friends and inlaws. Also I like Motown and I dont even see my self as a conservative talk less of an alt-right.

There is nothing racist in saying that watching that clip of abomination. He looked Better in the 2008 movie. I don't care that Ed Norton is a white male lead that is not relevant here. what is relevant here is the CGI quality of the film, which is going to be a very important part of the critical reception like with all comic film lead by a white, Latino or Asian actor or female lead.

Please kindly stop implying that I am racist with no factual proof. Pulling the race card here with zero evidence is actually hurting and discrediting real racial injustice.
    Last edited by Castle; 08-19-2021 at 01:40 AM.

BANNED

How about not implying an expertise and knowledge of movie making without factual evidence? Or claiming an effect in one movie is better than another without factual evidence?
    Last edited by green_garnish; 08-18-2021 at 03:57 PM.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    They're just alt-right talking points which is very popular on social media.

Just like the talking heads on tv and social media, they just invent stuff to be outraged over. It's not really worth discussing because there's no substance to the discussion.
    Yet they call everyone else 'sensitive'

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    I'm really looking forward to the movie though, the early reactions seem good and the movie looks amazing.
    From what I've heard and seen, the fight scenes don't have too many cuts. I do hope the supporting characters don't take up too much screen time from the main leads, but they seem to be getting positive reviews too

Quote Originally Posted by phonogram12 View Post
    Saying you like movies whose lead characters are POC doesn't mean you can't still feel (unjustifiably) slighted when certain movies aren't set at the default. That's like saying you can't be racist just because you like Motown.
    It's basically the "but I have a Black friend" excuse

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by green_garnish View Post
    How about not implying an expertise and knowledge of movie making without factual evidence? Or claiming an effect in one movie is better than another without factual evidence?

Phase 1 marvel CGI was very different. For instance the Suit of Iron Man were physically built and much CG was added at the end. Marvel shifted from that in the later films. this is your evidence.

Additionally in Phase 1, Hulk was a movie that Louis Leterrier and Ed Norton did have something to say on, Rumours has it Norton took it too far, marvel never asked him to come back for a sequel. However that could explain why Abomination looks a bit different to his appearance in the Shang CHI Clip.

Hulk was a movie that Louis Leterrier and Ed Norton did have something to say on, Rumours has it Norton took it too far, marvel never asked him to come back for a sequel. However that could explain why Abomination looks a bit different to his appearance in the Shang CHI Clip.

Lastly, this is why I am a bit curious now of Shang CHI and I will see the film for myself because some of the reception are saying the movie has action scenes we have never seen before in the MCU, so if that was true, it should really be Phase 1 quality Iron Man, however when you see that abomination clip, it looks more like Black Widow kind of CGI. However Early reactions are calling the action scenes in the film ground-breaking and spectacular. this are some of them in quotation on twitter.

Dan Taylor
    #ShangChi is an absolute triumph, unexpectedly spiritual and emotionally complex, with some of the very best action in the MCU. @SimuLiu is your new favorite Avenger and the movie’s myriad influences (everything from Jackie Chan to Hayao Miyazaki) pay off big time). Astounding

@WendyLeeSzany
    ·Shang-Chi And The Legend Of The Ten Rings is PHENOMENAL. Get hyped. Even fight scene/action sequence is better than the last.
    @SimuLiu
    fully embraces the marvel superhero role. Amazing imagery. Killer soundtrack. You’ll want to see this on the big screen. #shangch

Scott Menzel
    Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings earns the title of the best superhero film of 2021 so far. The action scenes are simply spectacular, especially the train & skyscraper scene. Best martial arts I’ve seen in a long time. Simu Liu & Awkwafina are terrific. #ShangChi

Umberto Gonzalez
    #ShangChi was a blast! Actually, Marvel's first true "family movie" that has a lot of heart. Loads of fun, great fight choreography, & likeable characters galore!
    Last edited by Castle; 08-18-2021 at 05:20 PM.

BANNED

Phase 1 marvel CGI was very different. For instance the Suit of Iron Man were physically built and much CG was added at the end. Marvel shifted from that in the later films. this is your evidence.

Additionally in Phase 1, Hulk was a movie that Louis Leterrier and Ed Norton did have something to say on, Rumours has it Norton took it too far, marvel never asked him to come back for a sequel. However that could explain why Abomination looks a bit different to his appearance in the Shang CHI Clip.
    Shang Chi, not Shang CHI.

I'm a little uncertain of the point here? You seem to suggest that because there was more CGI in later films than earlier that they were of less quality? And this is evidence? I apologize if I've misrepresented your view here. Please correct where I misunderstood.

All I care is that they show punches landing and such. And better axial cuts. If this is going to be a martial arts movie, make it hurt!
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Catwoman and Supergirl were DC movies and they did not get legit praise lol. Additionally it was never really about DC. it was more about a director called Patty Jenkins. DC movies were even seen as an eye sore around that time before Wonder Woman.

I just looked at the film credits of the Shang CHI director. Destin Daniel Cretton. He has not had his one big break through moment yet, although Just Mercy was successful for an indie smaller kind of the film. But I would not say he is a big house hold name.

If Shang CHI does have the quality of Wonder Woman, I am sure this will and should propel Destin Daniel Cretton to Patty Jenkins level kind of fame, she got after Wonder Woman in 2017.
    Sounds like he has your Legit "Serious..." Film cred in spades.

Hulk was a movie that Louis Leterrier and Ed Norton did have something to say on, Rumours has it Norton took it too far, marvel never asked him to come back for a sequel. However that could explain why Abomination looks a bit different to his appearance in the Shang CHI Clip.

Lastly, this is why I am a bit curious now of Shang CHI and I will see the film for myself because some of the reception are saying the movie has action scenes we have never seen before in the MCU, so if that was true, it should really be Phase 1 quality Iron Man, however when you see that abomination clip, it looks more like Black Widow kind of CGI. However Early reactions are calling the action scenes in the film ground-breaking and spectacular. this are some of them in quotation on twitter.

Stop the presses...

Twitter vouched for something?

That is a difference maker.

Actually I am black, born in Lagos Nigeria, My parents moved to USA when I was a kid. I have a lot of Jewish family friends and inlaws. Also I like Motown and I dont even see my self as a conservative talk less of an alt-right.

There is nothing racist in saying that watching that clip of abomination. He looked Better in the 2008 movie. I don't care that Ed Norton is a white male lead that is not relevant here. what is relevant here is the CGI quality of the film, which is going to be a very important part of the critical reception like with all comic film lead by a white, Latino or Asian actor or female lead.

Please kindly stop implying that I am racist with no factual proof.
    You have no factual proof of what is in blue.

The fact is that what is in blue is your own personal opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    All I care is that they show punches landing and such. And better axial cuts. If this is going to be a martial arts movie, make it hurt!
    That's gonna be the tough part.

Just how "Martial Arts..." will a Wong/Abomination fight be?

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    That's gonna be the tough part.

Just how "Martial Arts..." will a Wong/Abomination fight be?
    That's not the fight that needs to be cut well IMHO. It will probably be a squash to showcase the protagonist as a bad-ass. They have a lovable side character about to get squished by a beast.

All the other Shang-Chi versus the grunts needs that kind of stuff.

I want to see less cuts in a modern action movie and better use of the Kurosawa-style axial if we're going to have some big fights.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium