Page 4 of 32 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
    Niffleheim

Quote Originally Posted by 80sbaby View Post
    Captain Marvel, Thor: Ragnarock and Winter Soldier.
    Thinking about it I agree but they can't do that to Shang. He will be the only man without a love interest in MCU if they do that

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    I like the trailer. It has me excited to see more.

LOL, apparently the Twitter Mob is trying to "Cancel" the lead actor for some reason (which involves a tweet from 2012 as I understand) and failing spectacularly (thus far). I hate Twitter.
    What is it about?

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by phonogram12 View Post
    Kind of hope so, tbh. Hollywood has a severe lack of Asian male romantic leads. It must be all those years of emasculating them.
    Emasculating? Yeah, Hollywood has done a really bad job of treating Asian male leads as non-romantic.

But, tbh, I don't want any male leads to be forced into this idea of "needing a girlfriend to be a man". I'm tired of every male superhero having an obligatory love interest, and reducing the female side character to just that. Instead of making Asian leads into generic alpha males like the White leads, IMO the reverse should happen.

Of course, ideally we'd have several Asian male leads in a movie, some in romance and some not

Quote Originally Posted by Tofali View Post
    Thinking about it I agree but they can't do that to Shang. He will be the only man without a love interest in MCU if they do that
    None of them should have love interests IMO

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Simu Liu looks kind of older for Shang than I expected, but the martial arts action and style looks extremely on point .
    I went the other direction -- I thought he was kind of young for Shang Chi, but then again, I didn't really start noticing him until decades after his debut, when he was already one of Marvel's more established modern heroes.

I suppose it's also his comic version vs. this delivery -- the trailer implies his being young and irresponsible, whereas most depictions for some time now show Shang Chi with the wisdom of the ages.

---

As for the topic of love interest, I'm a-okay with, say, his Asian supporting cast having their own love interest, rather than Shang-Chi himself. I like the idea of a central hero as a third wheel of sorts, which doesn't happen very often (like actually with RDJ's Sherlock Holmes to Watson and Mary, for example). Or Harry Potter with Ron and Hermione (and before anyone brings up Ginny, she didn't play nearly as big a role as the Big Three).

Ultimate Member

I hope there's not too much supporting cast stuff, unless they're really entertaining. I want the main focus to be on Shang

Most of the versions of him I've seen have longer hair though.

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    What is it about?
    This (see below link) apparently, although there is something he tweeted in 2018 too which I just learned about -

https://epicstream.com/news/BriConst...oke-Resurfaces

https://cnalifestyle.channelnewsasia...lberg-13822264

Edit - LOL, I adore "Cancel Culture" it is so non-ironically (at least according to those who take part) petty and stupid.
    Last edited by Celgress; 04-19-2021 at 02:21 PM.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    This (see below link) apparently, although there is something he tweeted in 2018 too which I just learned about -

https://epicstream.com/news/BriConst...oke-Resurfaces

https://cnalifestyle.channelnewsasia...lberg-13822264

Edit - LOL, I adore "Cancel Culture" it is so non-ironically (at least according to those who take part) petty and stupid.
    I mean, it's not really much of anything. I don't see how it's going to affect him though. It's not like Twitter is burning Marvel Studios down.

Anyway, maybe he changed his mind about Wahlberg.

So the scene with the huge battle and Lion. Is that like a Mandarin origin story? That appears to be from a long time ago, while the rest of the movie is very modern.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    So the scene with the huge battle and Lion. Is that like a Mandarin origin story? That appears to be from a long time ago, while the rest of the movie is very modern.
    Is that lion based on a Fu dog?

Quote Originally Posted by phonogram12 View Post
    Kind of hope so, tbh. Hollywood has a severe lack of Asian male romantic leads. It must be all those years of emasculating them.
    The closest I can think to Shang having an independent love interest is a secret agent he was partnered with.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyke View Post
    I went the other direction -- I thought he was kind of young for Shang Chi, but then again, I didn't really start noticing him until decades after his debut, when he was already one of Marvel's more established modern heroes.

I suppose it's also his comic version vs. this delivery -- the trailer implies his being young and irresponsible, whereas most depictions for some time now show Shang Chi with the wisdom of the ages.
    I guess I'm used to Shang looking more...fresh-faced, I guess? The actor's fine, just a different impression.

I think Shang's been trying to assimilate hard into American culture to run away from his old life but having to face up to it will force him to embrace and really become the Master of Kung-Fu.
    There's a scene where Mandarin has longer hair and looks more like his comic self, while I think in the present-day it's shorter, so we might see his origin.

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    Is that lion based on a Fu dog?
    I don't know but I watched it again and the breif glimpse we get of the guy looks like Shang Chi. So iono I wasn't able to freeze frame it clearly on the actor. Maybe some big epic war happens in the present or that was Wen Wu.

Ultimate Member

I don't know but I watched it again and the breif glimpse we get of the guy looks like Shang Chi. So iono I wasn't able to freeze frame it clearly on the actor. Maybe some big epic war happens in the present or that was Wen Wu.
    Ok. I honestly wasn't expecting this many fantasy elements

Wrote about this in the Shang-Chi Appreciation thread, but honestly I fucking cried when I first saw that trailer. After all these years of championing this character, I'm so happy to see him finally show up on the big screen. I finally get to see a character like me stand next to Captain America, Spider-Man, Black Panther, Iron Man, the Avengers, and the rest of the MCU. On another note, the character speaks to these times. Shang-Chi reminds me that I'm not a virus. Or a victim. I'm a hero.

Happy to see the movie trending #1 on YouTube right now.

In any case, here is a link to an EW.com story on the movie:
    https://ew.com/movies/shang-chi-and-...iu-first-look/

So excited to see this now!
    "I am a man of peace."

"A man of peace...who fights like ten tigers."

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tien Long View Post
    Wrote about this in the Shang-Chi Appreciation thread, but honestly I fucking cried when I first saw that trailer. After all these years of championing this character, I'm so happy to see him finally show up on the big screen. I finally get to see a character like me stand next to Captain America, Spider-Man, Black Panther, Iron Man, the Avengers, and the rest of the MCU. On another note, the character speaks to these times. Shang-Chi reminds me that I'm not a virus. Or a victim. I'm a hero.

Agreed. MCU has been lagging on Asian representation, so this is a plus!

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tien Long View Post

To me it looks super cool. Im loving it.