Page 5 of 32 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Was that Razor Fist, I saw?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    Emasculating? Yeah, Hollywood has done a really bad job of treating Asian male leads as non-romantic.

But, tbh, I don't want any male leads to be forced into this idea of "needing a girlfriend to be a man". I'm tired of every male superhero having an obligatory love interest, and reducing the female side character to just that. Instead of making Asian leads into generic alpha males like the White leads, IMO the reverse should happen.
    IDK, I don't see why both can't happen. Also, female side characters can be just as interesting, imho. I mean, there's a reason Shuri is probably one of my favorite characters in all of the MCU.

To make this more specific to Asians, it would probably be fair to call the lead in the Bruce Lee-inspired Warrior series as an 'alpha male,' but at the same time, I probably wouldn't describe him as 'generic,' either. Watching interviews with the showrunners, they really highlight the importance of Asian males to be seen as romantic leads since that is a role that has been denied to them for so long in the west.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Quote Originally Posted by Tien Long View Post
    Wrote about this in the Shang-Chi Appreciation thread, but honestly I fucking cried when I first saw that trailer. After all these years of championing this character, I'm so happy to see him finally show up on the big screen. I finally get to see a character like me stand next to Captain America, Spider-Man, Black Panther, Iron Man, the Avengers, and the rest of the MCU. On another note, the character speaks to these times. Shang-Chi reminds me that I'm not a virus. Or a victim. I'm a hero.

Happy to see the movie trending #1 on YouTube right now.

In any case, here is a link to an EW.com story on the movie:
    https://ew.com/movies/shang-chi-and-...iu-first-look/

So excited to see this now!
    I'm glad you're so happy. We need more positive reactions such as your above reaction in the fandom (which is often very negative about everything). I'll feel the same way I'm sure if Val-Zod or Calvin Ellis ever hit the big screen.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    Was that Razor Fist, I saw?
    Yes. But he only has one blade.

Worst adaptation ever!

Quote Originally Posted by Tien Long View Post
    Wrote about this in the Shang-Chi Appreciation thread, but honestly I fucking cried when I first saw that trailer. After all these years of championing this character, I'm so happy to see him finally show up on the big screen. I finally get to see a character like me stand next to Captain America, Spider-Man, Black Panther, Iron Man, the Avengers, and the rest of the MCU. On another note, the character speaks to these times. Shang-Chi reminds me that I'm not a virus. Or a victim. I'm a hero.

Happy to see the movie trending #1 on YouTube right now.

In any case, here is a link to an EW.com story on the movie:
    https://ew.com/movies/shang-chi-and-...iu-first-look/

So excited to see this now!
    I am so happy for you, and other Asian-Americans, who will see themselves as the hero of their own story.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by phonogram12 View Post
    IDK, I don't see why both can't happen. Also, female side characters can be just as interesting, imho. I mean, there's a reason Shuri is probably one of my favorite characters in all of the MCU.

To make this more specific to Asians, it would probably be fair to call the lead in the Bruce Lee-inspired Warrior series as an 'alpha male,' but at the same time, I probably wouldn't describe him as 'generic,' either. Watching interviews with the showrunners, they really highlight the importance of Asian males to be seen as romantic leads since that is a role that has been denied to them for so long in the west.
    Tbh, idk if I totally follow what you're saying, but I agree we need to have more male leads of Asian descent in Hollywood. Asian actors haven't had it great at all

It looks alright I need to see more to Really judge getting Batman begins vibes but man is that another army battel? I'm so sick of that in the MCU

Ultimate Member

I prefer the smaller battles too. But that might be a flashback

I prefer the smaller battles too. But that might be a flashback
    I don't want any more army battles just hero vs villan no more foot solders army's it's been done to death how many movies end with the hero or heros vs a big army of no name goons?

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by choptop View Post
    I don't want any more army battles just hero vs villan no more foot solders army's it's been done to death how many movies end with the hero or heros vs a big army of no name goons?
    I'm more into the smaller group battles. The battle on Titan was a really good example

Hard to tell from just a teaser, but they rightfully seem to be going all in on the martial arts, so the fight scenes should look great.

I mean, I don't really know anything about the character so that's kind of the best analysis I can do here. Well, other than to say that I still really, really like Awkwafina for some strange reason. Like I get why her style of humor should be off-putting and terrible like a lot of people say, but she's just so damn charming!

Ultimate Member

I think the clip was too short for me to determine how exactly her personality will be like

Given the anti-Chinese sentiment in the USA, will this movie sell? I hope it does sell well.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Zauriel View Post
    Given the anti-Chinese sentiment in the USA, will this movie sell? I hope it does sell well.
    People will go watch a movie with an Asian-Canadian lead and still hate Asians in their neighborhood. Bigotry doesn't make any sense

People will go watch a movie with an Asian-Canadian lead and still hate Asians in their neighborhood. Bigotry doesn't make any sense
    Ah you might be right. People will go watch Black Panther and still hate The BLM.

Last I heard, Mulan movie grossed just under $70 million against a production budget of $200 million. Was it a bad film? Or did it flop due to the COVID pandemic?