Page 6 of 20 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast
Results 76 to 90 of 286
  1. #76
    The Superior One Celgress's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    9,934

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zauriel View Post
    Ah you might be right. People will go watch Black Panther and still hate The BLM.

    Last I heard, Mulan movie grossed just under $70 million against a production budget of $200 million. Was it a bad film? Or did it flop due to the COVID pandemic?
    It was a bad film, IMO. I loved the animated original but not the live-action, of course, I hated live-action Aladdin too but loved the animated movies. Some properties simply don't translate well to live-action.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

  2. #77
    Extraordinary Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2021
    Posts
    6,073

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zauriel View Post
    Ah you might be right. People will go watch Black Panther and still hate The BLM.

    Last I heard, Mulan movie grossed just under $70 million against a production budget of $200 million. Was it a bad film? Or did it flop due to the COVID pandemic?
    Idk what happened with Mulan. It got mixed reviews from what I heard.

    A lot of racists enjoy what people of other races create. Some even have interracial relationships. But as soon as there's a crisis, they turn against other races. It's frankly repulsive

  3. #78
    The Superior One Celgress's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    9,934

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zauriel View Post
    Given the anti-Chinese sentiment in the USA, will this movie sell? I hope it does sell well.
    Damn commie bastards.

    Seriously though, I don't see this being a problem.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

  4. #79
    the devil's reject choptop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    4,347

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zauriel View Post
    Given the anti-Chinese sentiment in the USA, will this movie sell? I hope it does sell well.
    anti-Chinese sentiment in the USA? I don't think that's that big of a thing? Maybe I'm wrong?

  5. #80
    Extraordinary Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2021
    Posts
    6,073

    Default

    Hate crimes against people of Asian descent increased in USA and Canada, and China has been blamed for COVID. But I don't think it's widespreas enough to affect this movie

  6. #81
    Extraordinary Member j9ac9k's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    7,021

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    None of them should have love interests IMO
    I agree about not having one just for the sake of it, (MCU Spider-Man) but Peggy Carter was crucial to Steve's development and a great character.

    Quote Originally Posted by choptop View Post
    anti-Chinese sentiment in the USA? I don't think that's that big of a thing? Maybe I'm wrong?
    I can't speak for the rest of the country, but I was walking my dog in my neighborhood where I've lived for almost a decade and a guy, sitting with his friends yelled "No more Chinese" at me for no reason. He back-pedalled when I confronted him, but I know what he felt emboldened to say. Is that a "big" thing? Maybe not, but it ruined my week and I think of it whenever I walk past that spot. And that's not nearly as bad as the stuff that's happened to others.

    Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    Edit - LOL, I adore "Cancel Culture" it is so non-ironically (at least according to those who take part) petty and stupid.
    That's because Twitter and such are sometimes the only way those kind of voices can be heard. Does it go too far, yes - but prior to this were the Ike Perlmutters and Harvey Weinsteins, etc. who wielded real power to "cancel" people behind the scenes and stifle any voice they didn't like. "Cancel Culture" can be petty, but branding it as only that was a strategy for those who wanted to silence those who spoke against the Harvey Weintsteins of the world, because it can be an instrument for positive change as well and a power not held by the powerful.("The mob is Rome") It also isn't automatic - sometimes the court of public opinion actually thinks for a second before picking up the pitchforks and decides an accusation isn't warranted. It's hugely flawed, and I feel it will reign itself in over time, but it was created by a societal need and an understanding that what was happening before was not alright.
    Last edited by j9ac9k; 04-19-2021 at 08:20 PM.

  7. #82
    The Superior One Celgress's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    9,934

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    ....That's because Twitter and such are sometimes the only way those kind of voices can be heard. Does it go too far, yes - but prior to this were the Ike Perlmutters and Harvey Weinsteins, etc. who wielded real power to "cancel" people behind the scenes and stifle any voice they didn't like. "Cancel Culture" can be petty, but branding it as only that was a strategy for those who wanted to silence those who spoke against the Harvey Weintsteins of the world, because it can be an instrument for positive change as well and a power not held by the powerful.("The mob is Rome") It also isn't automatic - sometimes the court of public opinion actually thinks for a second before picking up the pitchforks and decides an accusation isn't warranted. It's hugely flawed, and I feel it will reign itself in over time, but it was created by a societal need and an understanding that what was happening before was not alright.
    It is little more than witch-hunting or commie chasing or mob rule, IMO. The more things change the more they remain the same, but I digress. I don't want this thread derailed.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

  8. #83
    Extraordinary Member Robotman's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    California
    Posts
    8,968

    Default

    This looks great. I’m really happy that they’re going for a more diverse universe.

    Quote Originally Posted by phonogram12 View Post
    Kind of hope so, tbh. Hollywood has a severe lack of Asian male romantic leads. It must be all those years of emasculating them.
    Hollywood and pop culture in general has a horrible track record with Asian and Hispanic male leads. It’s either the kid sidekick or the exotic female that the white hero can get with. I really hope this movie is a huge hit and hopefully it changes some of these tired tropes.

    Quote Originally Posted by choptop View Post
    anti-Chinese sentiment in the USA? I don't think that's that big of a thing? Maybe I'm wrong?
    It’s a pretty damn huge thing. China is seen as the boogyman responsible for taking US jobs and the pandemic made things so much worse.

    There was a report recently that Anti-Asian hate crimes jumped 150% to 200% in 2020.
    Last edited by Robotman; 04-19-2021 at 08:21 PM.

  9. #84
    Extraordinary Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2021
    Posts
    6,073

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    I agree about not having one just for the sake of it, (MCU Spider-Man) but Peggy Carter was crucial to Steve's development and a great character.
    I don't buy their relationship tbh

    Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    It is little more than witch-hunting or commie chasing or mob rule, IMO. The more things change the more they remain the same, but I digress. I don't want this thread derailed.
    Yeah, let's not.

  10. #85
    A Wearied Madness Vakanai's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    8,042

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zauriel View Post
    Ah you might be right. People will go watch Black Panther and still hate The BLM.

    Last I heard, Mulan movie grossed just under $70 million against a production budget of $200 million. Was it a bad film? Or did it flop due to the COVID pandemic?
    Partly Covid/Disney asking for more money on top of the subscription, and partly because the province of China it was filmed in has like an anti-muslim "re-education" center or something else truly horrid...

  11. #86
    The Superior One Celgress's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    9,934

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Partly Covid/Disney asking for more money on top of the subscription, and partly because the province of China it was filmed in has like an anti-muslim "re-education" center or something else truly horrid...
    Oh, you mean the Uyghurs of Western China or "Xinjiang" Province. There is nothing to see in Uyghuristan. Everyone there is happily being deradicalized aka reeducated, at least according to the Chinese Government -

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/East_Turkestan
    Last edited by Celgress; 04-19-2021 at 08:53 PM.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

  12. #87
    Extraordinary Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2021
    Posts
    6,073

    Default

    It's problematic of Disney to just work the Chinese government considering what they're doing to the Uyghurs

  13. #88
    The Superior One Celgress's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    9,934

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    It's problematic of Disney to just work the Chinese government considering what they're doing to the Uyghurs
    It's all about money. Morality ALWAYS takes a backseat to profit whenever large corporations are involved. This is why I don't trust large corporations especially when they are acting "good" it is often merely sleight of hand.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

  14. #89
    Extraordinary Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2021
    Posts
    6,073

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    It's all about money. Morality ALWAYS takes a backseat to profit whenever large corporations are involved. This is why I don't trust large corporations especially when they are acting "good" it is often merely sleight of hand.
    Was this movie filmed in China in any way?

  15. #90
    Incredible Member Zauriel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2019
    Posts
    509

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post


    Itís a pretty damn huge thing. China is seen as the boogyman responsible for taking US jobs and the pandemic made things so much worse.

    There was a report recently that Anti-Asian hate crimes jumped 150% to 200% in 2020.
    Blame the big corporations for outsourcing US jobs to China, just to avoid paying higher wages. Blame the American consumers for preferring to buy clothes, shoes and toys made in China because they want cheaper things, despite being made of poor quality.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •