Page 7 of 32 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    Was this movie filmed in China in any way?
    I don't know. I don't think so in this case. However, I believe live-action Mulan was.

I was talking in general China is a HUGE market for Hollywood. But, China also is very high on censorship and having things their own way in movies. They reportedly don't like black people for example or democratic messages in films.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    I don't know. I don't think so in this case. However, I believe live-action Mulan was.

I was talking in general China is a HUGE market for Hollywood. But, China also is very high on censorship and having things their own way in movies.
    Yeah, I understood what you were saying. China is a big market and Hollywood does whatever it can to rake in money, whether or not it's right.

I'm just hoping this isn't made in conjunction with the Chinese government

Yeah, I understood what you were saying. China is a big market and Hollywood does whatever it can to rake in money, whether or not it's right.

I'm just hoping this isn't made in conjunction with the Chinese government
    The worst rumor I've heard about Disney wishing to please China was the case of Finn from Star Wars. Apparently one of the reasons Disney downplayed the involvement of Finn in the latter two movies is because he tested poorly in China due, let's be honest, to well-known Chinese racism against darker-skinned people. Reportedly, Disney felt the movies would do better in all important China if Finn was sidelined.

'Star Wars' China Poster Shrinks Black Character - Variety

https://variety.com/2015/film/news/s...ga-1201653494/

Oh, you mean the Uyghurs of Western China or "Xinjiang" Province. There is nothing to see in Uyghuristan. Everyone there is happily being deradicalized aka reeducated, at least according to the Chinese Government -

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/East_Turkestan
    Yep. Chinese people as a race are fine, because we're all just bald monkeys with big heads when you get right down to it so racism is dumb. But the Chinese government is just nasty. Anti-Asian sentiment has no damned place in the world, but I'll support anti-Chinese sentiment (as in the Chinese government only) all day every day.

Quote Originally Posted by Zauriel View Post
    Blame the big corporations for outsourcing US jobs to China, just to avoid paying higher wages. Blame the American consumers for preferring to buy clothes, shoes and toys made in China because they want cheaper things, despite being made of poor quality.
    Sounds like capitalism at work to me. Don't hate the playa...

But let's hope Shang-Chi will rake in the Yuan...!

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Yep. Chinese people as a race are fine, because we're all just bald monkeys with big heads when you get right down to it so racism is dumb. But the Chinese government is just nasty. Anti-Asian sentiment has no damned place in the world, but I'll support anti-Chinese sentiment (as in the Chinese government only) all day every day.
    I've spent a lot of time in China mostly in the big cities. The people there don't care about what we think in America honestly they laugh at us for a lot of things we do. They tell me we are a "declining power" on our way "out" and they will take our place one day. They aren't nasty about it rather they think it is inevitable so they see no reason to change according to what we want. They are also proud (even those who secretly disagree with their government) that they as a nation can make big American companies like Disney do whatever they so desire out of "avarice (greed)". China as a civilization is very shrewd they are playing the long game.

three-time juror The Gold Stream's Avatar

at least more chinese influence will get us to a sweet bladerunner timeline with that fancy east-meets-west aesthetic (also firefly)

I've spent a lot of time in China mostly in the big cities. The people there don't care about what we think in America honestly they laugh at us for a lot of things we do. They tell me we are a "declining power" on our way "out" and they will take our place one day. They aren't nasty about it rather they think it is inevitable so they see no reason to change according to what we want. They are also proud (even those who secretly disagree with their government) that they as a nation can make big American companies like Disney do whatever they so desire out of "avarice (greed)". China as a civilization is very shrewd they are playing the long game.
    Well of course - they're told that by their government that we're in decline as a world power, and as the only official source of news they believe it. And the Chinese government is shrewd. But the reality is America isn't going anywhere (I hope), even if China is becoming a more dominant superpower, the average Chinese person is still okay (every race and every nation has their a-holes), but their government is still a corrupt authoritarian power that's just morally wrong.

And I know - our own government isn't all that great or nice either. Doesn't make the Chinese Communist Party better.

Ultimate Member

USA's recent decline was due to electing Trump IMO, not anything China did

I think it has less to do with the US "declining" and more China "rising." Which they have. And for some reason the Chinese government would have you believe there can only be one superpower, and that their rise must come at our decline. The actual future though is a much messier back and forth sharing/bickering among superpowers thing.

Ultimate Member

I think it has less to do with the US "declining" and more China "rising." Which they have. And for some reason the Chinese government would have you believe there can only be one superpower, and that their rise must come at our decline. The actual future though is a much messier back and forth sharing/bickering among superpowers thing.
    Yeah, does there even need to be a superpower anymore?

Yeah, does there even need to be a superpower anymore?
    I'd argue there never needed to be a superpower in the beginning, and the fact that two countries got that powerful led to the Cold War where we nearly blew up the planet with nukes a couple of times. With Europe as a whole counting as one power, and China now as the fourth, there's still a potential we end each other in a mushroom cloud.

And all of this has more to do with a few select a-holes holding the power of their superpower government than anything involving most of the people living in those powers.

Astonishing Member

The worst rumor I've heard about Disney wishing to please China was the case of Finn from Star Wars. Apparently one of the reasons Disney downplayed the involvement of Finn in the latter two movies is because he tested poorly in China due, let's be honest, to well-known Chinese racism against darker-skinned people. Reportedly, Disney felt the movies would do better in all important China if Finn was sidelined.

'Star Wars' China Poster Shrinks Black Character - Variety

https://variety.com/2015/film/news/s...ga-1201653494/
    This is gross and yes, since Covid I have heard of racism against blacks who'd been trapped in China when the country went into lock down and along with the rest of the world. Racism is abhorrent regardless of who, what when and why. As people we need to treat one another better and with equal respect.

As an African, I can say the sentiment around me is exactly this. China is on the rise, maybe not as a single dominant power but as an increasingly dominant power player in areas where the US/Europe or the West in general has grown more lax in recent history. Will they actually take over in areas where the US enjoyed supremacy, I don't know but I don't doubt this is the Chinese Government's goal. Sadly for us the rest of the world, all we can do is sit and watch from the sidelines and hope we don't get screwed too much by either group.

I don't think so. Trump is a symptom more than a cause. Bush Jr. hurt America's standing in the world immensely. Anti-American feelings have been strong on the world stage since Vietnam (before in certain circles) but post-Iraq people in places such as Europe are like "Do we need America if all they are going to do is invade countries to settle personal grudges? We'd be better off without them" (Bush - "He tried to kill ma daddy."). The fact no one was held accountable for Iraq further disillusioned people around the world I blame media compliance here in America Post-911 for that.
    Last edited by Celgress; 04-20-2021 at 06:55 AM.

Ultimate Member

I'd argue there never needed to be a superpower in the beginning, and the fact that two countries got that powerful led to the Cold War where we nearly blew up the planet with nukes a couple of times. With Europe as a whole counting as one power, and China now as the fourth, there's still a potential we end each other in a mushroom cloud.

And all of this has more to do with a few select a-holes holding the power of their superpower government than anything involving most of the people living in those powers.
    Yeah, the Cold War was such bs. I'm hoping someday we as humans see ourselves as one global community

I don't think so. Trump is a symptom more than a cause. Bush Jr. hurt America's standing in the world immensely. Anti-American feelings have been strong on the world stage since Vietnam (before in certain circles) but post-Iraq people in places such as Europe are like "Do we need America if all they are going to do is invade countries to settle personal grudges? We'd be better off without them" (Bush - "He tried to kill ma daddy."). The fact no one was held accountable for Iraq further disillusioned people around the world I blame media compliance here in America Post-911 for that.
    Oh yeah, I forgot about that. Honestly the USA needs to change its behavior. Even under supposedly progressive administrations, civilians in the Middle East were killed by air strikes. Anti-American sentiment isn't unearned.