Page 9 of 32 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Zauriel View Post
    Blame the big corporations for outsourcing US jobs to China, just to avoid paying higher wages. Blame the American consumers for preferring to buy clothes, shoes and toys made in China because they want cheaper things, despite being made of poor quality.
    This is the same rationale behind the murder of Vincent Chin in 1982, in a way. In the 80s, US corporations blamed Japan for the loss of auto-related jobs, and so a couple guys beat and murdered Vincent Chin, thinking he was Japanese when really he was a Chinese-American industrial draftsman. His murderers were found innocent in court.

If it wasn't China being the bogeyman currently, it would be some other non-white ethnicity that would get the blame. Japan, Afghanistan, India, the Philippines, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    There's more robots than PoC in the apocalypse
    Hey, robots are people too kind of....
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Quote Originally Posted by Cyke View Post
    This is the same rationale behind the murder of Vincent Chin in 1982, in a way. In the 80s, US corporations blamed Japan for the loss of auto-related jobs, and so a couple guys beat and murdered Vincent Chin, thinking he was Japanese when really he was a Chinese-American industrial draftsman. His murderers were found innocent in court.

If it wasn't China being the bogeyman currently, it would be some other non-white ethnicity that would get the blame. Japan, Afghanistan, India, the Philippines, etc.
    What about Russians? They are a bogeyman and last time I checked they are "white".

BTW many Afghans (actually a majority) are "racially white" if we are being technical.
    Last edited by Celgress; 04-20-2021 at 05:24 PM.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    What about Russians? They are a bogeyman and last time I checked they are "white".

BTW many Afghans (actually a majority) are "racially white" if we are being technical.
    Hasn't most racial classification been debunked anyway?

Hasn't most racial classification been debunked anyway?
    Racial categories yes ethnic classifications no: for example, there are certain differences in skeletal structure that an expert can identify (minor though they may be in the grand scheme of things) same goes for the sexes.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Will never happen. Humans as a species are too tribalistic. There's not much stock in the "global community" outside of finance. I'd settle just for us to have a strong enough sense of self preservation that we're no longer the most likely cause of our own extinction.
    "Me against my brother. My brother and I against our father. My family against the outsider."

We just need to find an 'other' even more 'other' than darker-skinned other humans. Aliens. Robots. Zombies. And then all the colors of humanity unite against them, instead of against each other, at least temporarily.

But nobody ever forgets where they buried the hatchet. The second this new other-er other looks to be dealt with, we'll turn on each other for all the old reasons.

It's what Ozymandius did in Watchmen. Find an 'other' that wasn't 'other humans.'

Ultimate Member

Racial categories yes ethnic classifications no: for example, there are certain differences in skeletal structure that an expert can identify (minor though they may be in the grand scheme of things) same goes for the sexes.
    Ok. I just thought terms like White weren't scientific anymore

Ok. I just thought terms like White weren't scientific anymore
    They aren't, strictly speaking, but there are observable differences.

Here is something you might find interesting in regards to Human ethnic group biology look up -

"Neanderthal DNA map"
    Last edited by Celgress; 04-20-2021 at 06:03 PM.

I think maybe not now, but possibly eventually
    Well, you have more faith in us bald monkeys than I do. I'm not betting on humanity's better nature.
    Sadly, I think you are correct, it isn't (currently) in human nature.

My ideal distant future is something akin to Star Trek (not the current edgy dystopian garbage but the TNG-early DS9 Era) in which Humanity has evolved: no one cares about superficial differences, poverty is extinct, and everyone is free to reach their full potential, oh, and we are exploring the stars (can't forget that). All we need is basic matter replication technology and we are set.
    That's a very idealistic future. Honestly, I don't think it'll ever come to pass. The most likely scenario is we don't change fast enough in the here and now to prevent our extinction from climate change.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zauriel View Post
    Yeah. There is a difference between anti-Chinese and anti-China (or anti-Communist if you prefer).
    Precisely. The people are as much a mixed bag as every population of people on the planet. But the government of China is just plain awful.

Quote Originally Posted by green_garnish View Post
    Kind of amazing that a Marvel movie teaser would instantly lead to a mature discussion of geo-politics. I wonder what Castle would think about that, compared to all those exquisitely made DC films.
    To be fair, it's less it being an MCU film and more that it's a huge superhero film starring an Asian that's brought up this discussion. I doubt the movie itself will dwell as much on the geo-political stuff.

BANNED

To be fair, it's less it being an MCU film and more that it's a huge superhero film starring an Asian that's brought up this discussion. I doubt the movie itself will dwell as much on the geo-political stuff.
    That's something a DC film has never inspired, of course.

....That's a very idealistic future. Honestly, I don't think it'll ever come to pass. The most likely scenario is we don't change fast enough in the here and now to prevent our extinction from climate change....
    Way to be a downer lol. The only positive is in all likelihood those of us alive today will be long gone by then, thus, I suppose as Owlman would say from a personal perspective -

Quote Originally Posted by green_garnish View Post
    That's something a DC film has never inspired, of course.
    Because a DC film wasn't the first to use an Asian Superhero. What does that matter? You complain about Castle, but you're the one now trying to make an MCU vs DCEU debate out of this, when really it has nothing to do with DC vs Marvel bull crap.

Way to be a downer lol. The only positive is in all likelihood those of us alive today will be long gone by then, thus, I suppose as Owlman would say from a personal perspective -

Basically. I peg our extinction in the 500-1000 year range, so unless medical science expands our life expectancies into centuries (which is honestly more probable than anything resembling world peace) it doesn't matter.

BANNED

Because a DC film wasn't the first to use an Asian Superhero. What does that matter? You complain about Castle, but you're the one now trying to make an MCU vs DCEU debate out of this, when really it has nothing to do with DC vs Marvel bull crap.
    Meanwhile, MCU films have generated discussions about race and gender, about the conditions that make us human, about what would our would not save the human race.

While DCEU films have generated discussions about which has the better VFX or lighting.

"Objectively" speaking, of course.