Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Well the TEEN-ification of Cable wasn't Gerry's decision. He just found stories (yet to conclude, keep in mind) to be explored with what was already established back in Extermination(?)

As a reader who didn't avidly follow the course of Cable's trajectory over the years, I enjoyed the last few years worth of content. My adoration for Nathan began around the Carey run when he was on Rogue's squad and carried well past into his Uncanny Avenger time when he fostered a lovely relationship with the Inhuman girl whose name escapes me at the moment. I've since enjoyed seeing he and his parents and sister and aaaaaaaall the awkwardness its wrought with Hope, Domino, the Frost family, etc. So for some of we less familiar folk, its been a fun journey.

STILL wondering if this teen Cable is actually teen Stryfe -- living his dream life with his parents etc etc and whether such a reveal will cause friction with the Council's stern stance on clones etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncanny X-Man View Post
    I mean... I think the truth is somewhere in the middle. In that editors know satellite books only sell X amount of copies and only last so many issues, so they only commission writers a certain amount of stories. Let's flip it and think of it this way: had Duggan's Cable sold a ton of copies, would his story still have been just 12 issues, or would they have found more stories to tell?
    Is it messed up for me to say "I hope not" ? haha.
    I personally love an intentionally completed series to treasure. I hope this is the case with Cable.

Man, the Mike Carey ‘Supernovas’ run on X-men was an awesome time to be a Cable fan! Loved that team, loved how Mike used the character, and loved his interactions with Rogue especially. Duggan also did a nice job with those two characters in his UA run, which makes me sad that adult Cable didn’t make the cut for the new X-men squad. I would love, love, love to see how Gerry bounced OG Nathan off of not only Rogue again, but also characters like Laura and Synch. *sigh*

Quote Originally Posted by Uncanny X-Man View Post
    I think Duggan also stealth-announced Vita Ayala is writing a new unnamed X-book? And Phil Noto is sticking around the X-office after Cable.
    Nah, I think he just went pretty quickly from talking about Vita to mentioning Leah's new classified book.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by gnostalgic View Post
    The most interesting piece of info that came from this is that Duggan apparently didn't know Cable and Domino used to be in a relationship until he sat down to write their issue. Domino. I can't decide if I find that really funny or really concerning, but it sure puts all of the weird out of character moments and choices that contradict if not outright ignore earlier canon that have been a problem with his run on Cable since the beginning into perspective. Apparently the dude doesn't know the character as well as he claims he does.
    If he said the appeal of a young Cable was being able to have a character who makes mistakes (never mind that all characters should be flawed) he still should have checked out the stories we already had about young Cable, not even the ones from the 90s which there are plenty of, but even Brisson's run the brought back this version comes off as a completely different character. Duggan's interpretation is fine for the story he was writing but I hope no one makes the mistake of using this as a reference in future stories.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fokken View Post
    Also, I 100% believe this man when he explains that Cable's series was absolutely conceived with a specific story in mind that had a beginning, middle and end from the get go and that the title is not "cancelled". It is concluding. And I'm always VERY happy to hear that for writers.
    That is just the way they word these things because the reality is books do not last. If that book was selling 70K a month do you think they would be 'concluding' it? Every writer who does not have a grudge will describe the process as giving the publisher 6-12 issues worth of stories, being approved and then waiting to see if they ask for another 6-12 issues worth of stories and getting approved, until they stop asking for more story ideas.

Yeah, it’s not like old Cable didn’t make mistakes. I can specifically recall one issue where Logan chews him out and says, “You f@$% up, Cable! That’s why we’re here.” Or something like that. Talking about how he compartmentalizes information and gets people hurt. I think it was during the Messiah War crossover between Cable and the Kyle/Yost X-Force book actually.

Astonishing Member Askani's Flame's Avatar

STILL wondering if this teen Cable is actually teen Stryfe -- living his dream life with his parents etc etc and whether such a reveal will cause friction with the Council's stern stance on clones etc.
    That is a fascinating thought. Imagine Rachel and Cable decided to try and reform Strfye at the end of X-Force and sent him here. My only thought on why that wouldn't be the case is the TO arm. It was very clearly affected by the symbiote in SWORD and super enlarged and being crazy. But how fascinating would it be to see how devious Rachel and Cable were to do this to Stryfe in an attempt to reform him. He'd need another mind wipe which would probably make him even more crazy but....

Quote Originally Posted by Askani's Flame View Post
    That is a fascinating thought. Imagine Rachel and Cable decided to try and reform Strfye at the end of X-Force and sent him here. My only thought on why that wouldn't be the case is the TO arm. It was very clearly affected by the symbiote in SWORD and super enlarged and being crazy. But how fascinating would it be to see how devious Rachel and Cable were to do this to Stryfe in an attempt to reform him. He'd need another mind wipe which would probably make him even more crazy but....
    Remember when that SAME hand's THUMB bled during X of Swords? And Apocalypse noticed? And Cable seemed concerned ABOUT Apocalypse noticing??? Kind of SUS!!!!

Astonishing Member Askani's Flame's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fokken View Post
    remember when that same hand's thumb bled during x of swords? And apocalypse noticed? And cable seemed concerned about apocalypse noticing??? Kind of sus!!!!
    gurl i forgot but you on to sumtin!!!!

Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Krakoa View Post
    Nah, I think he just went pretty quickly from talking about Vita to mentioning Leah's new classified book.
    I went back and listened to it again and I think you're right, he was talking about Vita's New Mutants and he said something to the extent of "and the redacted book is great", referring to Leah's new book, whereas I initially thought he said "and THEIR redacted book".

Quote Originally Posted by cranger View Post
    If he said the appeal of a young Cable was being able to have a character who makes mistakes (never mind that all characters should be flawed) he still should have checked out the stories we already had about young Cable, not even the ones from the 90s which there are plenty of, but even Brisson's run the brought back this version comes off as a completely different character. Duggan's interpretation is fine for the story he was writing but I hope no one makes the mistake of using this as a reference in future stories.

That is just the way they word these things because the reality is books do not last. If that book was selling 70K a month do you think they would be 'concluding' it? Every writer who does not have a grudge will describe the process as giving the publisher 6-12 issues worth of stories, being approved and then waiting to see if they ask for another 6-12 issues worth of stories and getting approved, until they stop asking for more story ideas.
    To be honest, I think Duggan got lucky with UA. Somehow he was able to write a good Cable in that, probably because he was just a supporting character who never had to go through any complex development. If the way he's written in Cable v4 is how Duggan actually sees the character and what he really finds appealing about writing him (which seems to be the case because he says at several points that he likes Kid Cable more than Old Cable), I'd be happier seeing him handed over to a new writer who would actually bother to read up on canon before writing him. At least enough to know who Domino is, jfc.

I also rolled my eyes when he started going on about how he doesn't get the dislike Cable fans have for Kid Cable and why they keep treating him like he's a totally separate entity instead of the same person at a different age. I don't know how many more times it can be said that Kid Cable acts nothing like Cable, not even in an "oh, he's just an inexperienced kid" way. He's completely unrecognizable as even being the same person even when you compare him to the other kid versions we've seen in stuff like Adventures of Cyclops and Phoenix and Askani'son.

... Which is even funnier because Askani'son!Cable evidently is supposed to be Kid Cable. I'm assuming Extermination picks up right after that story ends.
    Last edited by gnostalgic; 04-20-2021 at 08:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by cranger View Post

We already saw marvel extending mini series because they sold well. It could even be planned to end on 12 issues, but low sales played a role in cancelation.

Brisson version was a lot better, at least he looked like he could grow up to become Cable

Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jackraow21 View Post
    I find myself wondering what was the point? Except I guess to make Cable into a younger, mistake-prone character... when they have literally hundreds of such characters that are basically just blank slates out there waiting to be used. But, sure, let’s take more established characters and turn them into teens for some inexplicable reason.

It was a dumb story that had run its course honestly by the time Ed Brisson’s X-Force series wrapped. Duggan wanted to give young Nathan the chance to spend some time with Scott and Jean, even though he already did this twice in two different limited series in the 90s, but sure. Let’s do it again in modern times I guess. Now that that’s over, though, I’m really interested in what’s next for the character. The adult version would be fascinating in the current Krakoan set up IMO, and I hope they do something with him because I’d love to see how he fits in and what his reaction is to everything.
    I have to agree about Kid Cable. I think these kind of switcheroos only work if there's a specific story to tell, otherwise it really looks like throwing **** at the wall to see what sticks. And, same as with the O5 story, if the original writer and editor both leave before the story has reached its conclusion, someone else will have to clean up the mess only for it to never be mentioned again. I don't really agree with the reasoning of doing things just because "it could be fun": turning Spider-Man into a woman, or a mass-murderer or 100 years old could also be fun, doesn't mean they should do it.

Quote Originally Posted by gnostalgic View Post
    To be honest, I think Duggan got lucky with UA. Somehow he was able to write a good Cable in that, probably because he was just a supporting character who never had to go through any complex development. If the way he's written in Cable v4 is how Duggan actually sees the character and what he really finds appealing about writing him (which seems to be the case because he says at several points that he likes Kid Cable more than Old Cable), I'd be happier seeing him handed over to a new writer who would actually bother to read up on canon before writing him. At least enough to know who Domino is, jfc.

I also rolled my eyes when he started going on about how he doesn't get the dislike Cable fans have for Kid Cable and why they keep treating him like he's a totally separate entity instead of the same person at a different age. I don't know how many more times it can be said that Kid Cable acts nothing like Cable, not even in an "oh, he's just an inexperienced kid" way. He's completely unrecognizable as even being the same person even when you compare him to the other kid versions we've seen in stuff like Adventures of Cyclops and Phoenix and Askani'son.

... Which is even funnier because Askani'son!Cable evidently is supposed to be Kid Cable. I'm assuming Extermination picks up right after that story ends.
    So hard to believe that he didn't knew Domino and Cable were a couple. This isn't the first time he ever wrote the character, it really explain a lot about Duggan writing with x-men characters

Kid Cable from Duggan is alredy a very different character from the kid Cable from Brisson, if we compare to adult the contrast is ever bigger.
    Last edited by Rang10; 04-20-2021 at 08:46 AM.

Remember when that SAME hand's THUMB bled during X of Swords? And Apocalypse noticed? And Cable seemed concerned ABOUT Apocalypse noticing??? Kind of SUS!!!!
    Hmm... damn. I missed that. May have to go back and re-read it. Interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackraow21 View Post
    Hmm... damn. I missed that. May have to go back and re-read it. Interesting.
    With all the zany chaos continually being thrown at us throughout the event, its not crazy that a brief moment/panel like that would slip under the readership radar.