Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    True, but I just didn't get a vibe that Duggan was purposely being misleading when talking about the next election and hellfire gala. He seemed genuine when he talked about fans getting to vote again next year. For them to be planning something that interrupts that just seems so left field.
    Yeah thats the sort of vibe i got too when Gerry was talking about the Gala, he seemed sure that its something that may begin to be a reoccurring “event”. I dont see them scrapping it unless something urgent comes along.
    Emma is the opposite of a devourer
    She's A Lifebringer

Quote Originally Posted by cranger View Post
    I am not talking about the downfall of mutants or anything, something is going to happen to disrupt life as they know it. Just because there is a Krakoa does not mean there will be a Hellfire Company, or one run by Emma. Never mind that an annual event in Marvel time is like 4-6 years real time.
    if this year flop, we won't heard about it next year

Fantastic Member

I wonder how exactly they plan to make it an annual event. With the sliding timescale, one year in real life is probably just a few months or even shorter in comics. So, from in-universe point of view, they would have a Gala and reelect X-Men members every few months?

Can someone sum up what he said about the new book/team?

Mighty Member

I listen to the talk for about 1 minute, they just talked about a lot of rubbish and irrelevant stuff.

I am glad Cable series is gone, it's boring.

I hope they keep the young kid Cable but with a stronger fighter instead of the whining personality now.

Cable should be his age which is younger (not older) than his sister Rachel and his parents.

Old Cable should be retconned as another person who's not Scott's son as he was originally meant to be.

The most interesting piece of info that came from this is that Duggan apparently didn't know Cable and Domino used to be in a relationship until he sat down to write their issue. Domino. I can't decide if I find that really funny or really concerning, but it sure puts all of the weird out of character moments and choices that contradict if not outright ignore earlier canon that have been a problem with his run on Cable since the beginning into perspective. Apparently the dude doesn't know the character as well as he claims he does.
    Last edited by gnostalgic; 04-20-2021 at 12:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by gnostalgic View Post
    The most interesting piece of info that came from this is that Duggan apparently didn't know Cable and Domino used to be in a relationship until he sat down to write their issue. Domino. I can't decide if I find that really funny or really concerning, but it sure puts all of the weird out of character moments and choices that contradict if not outright ignore earlier canon that have been a problem with his run on Cable since the beginning into perspective. Apparently the dude doesn't know the character as well as he claims he does.
    Wait... that’s like pretty common knowledge. I’ve never read an issue of 90s X-Force but even I knew that and I’m not getting paid to write the character.

Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

I think Duggan also stealth-announced Vita Ayala is writing a new unnamed X-book? And Phil Noto is sticking around the X-office after Cable.

I love love love listening to these creatives wax poetic about their work and their team and their experience. Its so heart warming to hear them excited and passionate.

Quote Originally Posted by Fokken View Post
    I love love love listening to these creatives wax poetic about their work and their team and their experience. Its so heart warming to hear them excited and passionate.
    Same here. I love getting insights into a writer's thought process, their challenges, their likes and dislikes. Duggan in particular really comes off as a likeable guy and I'm always happy to listen to interviews with him.

Incredible Member Lady Midnight's Avatar

I wouldn't shed a tear if both versions of Cable took a LONG absence...
    My flag is bacon.

Also, I 100% believe this man when he explains that Cable's series was absolutely conceived with a specific story in mind that had a beginning, middle and end from the get go and that the title is not "cancelled". It is concluding. And I'm always VERY happy to hear that for writers.

Quote Originally Posted by Harasar View Post
    I wonder how exactly they plan to make it an annual event. With the sliding timescale, one year in real life is probably just a few months or even shorter in comics. So, from in-universe point of view, they would have a Gala and reelect X-Men members every few months?
    Yeah in the pod Gerry mentioned how theyre tagging the Gala to the solstice in universe, so realistically it doesnt need to happen every year in universe, they can have 2 galas a year or whatever
    Emma is the opposite of a devourer
    She's A Lifebringer

Also, I 100% believe this man when he explains that Cable's series was absolutely conceived with a specific story in mind that had a beginning, middle and end from the get go and that the title is not "cancelled". It is concluding. And I'm always VERY happy to hear that for writers.
    I find myself wondering what was the point? Except I guess to make Cable into a younger, mistake-prone character... when they have literally hundreds of such characters that are basically just blank slates out there waiting to be used. But, sure, let’s take more established characters and turn them into teens for some inexplicable reason.

It was a dumb story that had run its course honestly by the time Ed Brisson’s X-Force series wrapped. Duggan wanted to give young Nathan the chance to spend some time with Scott and Jean, even though he already did this twice in two different limited series in the 90s, but sure. Let’s do it again in modern times I guess. Now that that’s over, though, I’m really interested in what’s next for the character. The adult version would be fascinating in the current Krakoan set up IMO, and I hope they do something with him because I’d love to see how he fits in and what his reaction is to everything.

I mean... I think the truth is somewhere in the middle. In that editors know satellite books only sell X amount of copies and only last so many issues, so they only commission writers a certain amount of stories. Let's flip it and think of it this way: had Duggan's Cable sold a ton of copies, would his story still have been just 12 issues, or would they have found more stories to tell?