Default The Mandarin vs The Lord of the Rings

Mandarin with all ten rings takes on the following:

1. Defends Helm's Deep by himself
    2. Takes on all the ring-bearers at the same time - all 9 Nazgul, the 7 dwarf lords, and all 3 elves who were given rings, as well as Talion w/ Celebrimbor
    3. Sauron w/ the One Ring equipped

Books, movies, and games feats all apply. How does he fare in each scenario?

Do you mean comicbook Mandarin? Because comicbook Mandarin could probably beat all of them at once without the rings.

Maayybe the mind-tricks some of them have might win it for the LOTR character, but they stand no chance with their physical abilities. So it really comes down to how potent the vaguely defined ability of the rings to dominate others is. And that's without the rings.

With them, he need never let them get close enough to try to dominate him mentally.

Did you invoke the vidya game?

Oh no. I hear it. The wrath of the Sharpandpointies.
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sophicles View Post
    Mandarin with all ten rings takes on the following:

1. Defends Helm's Deep by himself
    2. Takes on all the ring-bearers at the same time - all 9 Nazgul, the 7 dwarf lords, and all 3 elves who were given rings, as well as Talion w/ Celebrimbor
    3. Sauron w/ the One Ring equipped

Books, movies, and games feats all apply. How does he fare in each scenario?
    Helm's Deep isn't a problem. He sits in the Hornburg and basically kills everything with his own rings, while his enemies can't touch him at all.

Against the Ringbearers...ugh. The only worthwhile characters in terms of taking him on directly who actually have feats are the Witchking and Galadriel. What Elrond shows doesn't have enough oomph, Círdan doesn't actually do anything, the Dwarf-lords...we only know that their Rings 'breed' gold and nothing more, and the other Nazgul just don't have anything that's going to really harm Mandarin.

So basically it's down to 'How's the Mandarin for mental resistance?'

Similarly for Sauron. Actually very important for Sauron, who even without the One Ring was mentally controlling an entire army over a vast distance.

Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu_of_R'lyeh View Post
    Did you invoke the vidya game?

Oh no. I hear it. The wrath of the Sharpandpointies.
    Just gonna ignore that part.
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Extraordinary Member The Drunkard Kid's Avatar

Didn't Gandalf bear the Elven Ring of Fire?

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Drunkard Kid View Post
    Didn't Gandalf bear the Elven Ring of Fire?
    He did, but wasn't the original.

I guess it depends on if it's the original Ring-bearers or not. If Gandalf gets thrown into the mix rather than Círdan...

...yeah, we're still dealing with a dude with forcefields that eat damage from comic book Iron Man just fine, a body tough enough to do the same, and a whole lot of firepower. I figure it's still coming down mental assaults.
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate