Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 75
  1. #1
    Astonishing Member babyblob's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    New Richmond Ohio
    Posts
    3,874

    Default Is Superman the strongest in the universe?

    I have been reading more and more Superman the last little bit. And I am remembering all the ones I read before and the shows. Superman has beaten alien warlords, gods, demons, pretty much everyone that has been thrown against him. Is there anyone who can beat Superman? has anyone (Besides Doomsday) done it?

    Sorry if this has been asked. I dont come to this section often.
    Favorite teams. Alpha Flight, Avengers, Fantastic Four, West Coast Avengers, Justice Society of America, Legion of Superheroes.

  2. #2
    Mighty Member I'm a Fish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    The Ocean
    Posts
    1,441

    Default

    Batman

    10Char

  3. #3
    Astonishing Member K7P5V's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Chicago, Illinois
    Posts
    4,657

    Default

    Sad, but true (although, he had help ):


  4. #4
    The Superior One Celgress's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    9,934

    Default

    He should be (or at least in the top five if not more likely top three) and would be if not for Batman's impervious plot armor.
    Last edited by Celgress; 04-20-2021 at 08:12 AM.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

  5. #5
    Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    8,083

    Default

    Technically yes, but it's circumstantial. Depending on the comic he can exceed characters created to be more powerful like the Spectre, but in a less than ideal situation he can be defeated by a character not nearly as powerful. So it's kinda the same for any character, except he's actually associated with the greatest (collective) power within his best case scenario.
    Welcome or welcome back! Please check out the updated
    CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

  6. #6
    Standing Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    15,019

    Default

    Prior to Crisis, he was the strongest. Not as powerful as the Spectre--but then who is--the Spectre is the hand of God so really it's God who is the strongest, and the Spectre is just a hand-puppet.

    But pre-Crisis--especially in the 1960s--Superman could do things like pushing entire planets out of their orbit.
    🇨🇦
    [Exit, pursued
    by a bear.

  7. #7
    The Superior One Celgress's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    9,934

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    Prior to Crisis, he was the strongest. Not as powerful as the Spectre--but then who is--the Spectre is the hand of God so really it's God who is the strongest, and the Spectre is just a hand-puppet.

    But pre-Crisis--especially in the 1960s--Superman could do things like pushing entire planets out of their orbit.
    Your post reminds me of what I posted in the sister thread on general DC Forum about Pre-Crisis Sups -

    I know it is not a one-to-one comparison but many fans in the Dragon Ball community theorize that Jiren is a Superman stand-in in terms of raw power (he is stated numerous times as being the strongest mortal in the DB Multiverse); more precisely he's Super Boy Prime or Golden Age Superman before that character started getting severely nerfed post-Reboots. Goku the main hero (who is in many ways another Superman stand-in with many, many astounding feats of his own) had to use a ridiculously broken previously unseen power-up Ultra Instinct to finally (and barely) defeat Jiren. So, yeah, Sups should be near or at the top of the DC pecking order by a vast margin if we are being realistic.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

  8. #8
    ᱬ Master Of Chaos ᱬ Cruelrain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Posts
    1,347

    Default

    always below batman
    Check out my (616) Scarlet Witch Respect Thread:


  9. #9
    Astonishing Member DochaDocha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    3,551

    Default

    There's been a lot of BS (not Batman/Superman) published throughout the years, but it's really a small subset of stories where Batman's abilities are elevated to such preposterous proportions.

  10. #10
    Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    8,083

    Default

    Yeah basically it's like... DKR itself. Which was an alternate reality I guess you'd say, but such a huge story that people think of it constantly.

    But even that story makes it clear that Superman isn't a character low in the pecking order. He has reduced might. His normal stories offer plenty of challenges at full might though, because there are so many ways to do it outside of hos strength, especially when it comes to putting others in peril. So there's a stigma that he's too powerful, but really it's not about his power.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    Prior to Crisis, he was the strongest. Not as powerful as the Spectre--but then who is--the Spectre is the hand of God so really it's God who is the strongest, and the Spectre is just a hand-puppet.

    But pre-Crisis--especially in the 1960s--Superman could do things like pushing entire planets out of their orbit.
    Superman is more or less proportionate with the rest of DC. So when he's not pushing planets, no one is.

  11. #11
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    2,030

    Default

    Superman's power has never been his problem and that was always an excuse from writers who didn't know how to write him. Made all the more clear with DCU Superman only really being like when he was stomping others into the dirt, Omni-man slaughtering the Gaurdians of the Globe being met with awe and wonder, Saitaman being unironically liked for being incredibly powerful, Jiren having the personality of wet sock but gaining popularity for being powerful, Gurren Lagan in general. Only Superman's own modern writers have the delusion that his power was a problem.
    Rules are for lesser men, Charlie - Grand Pa Joe ~ Willy Wonka & Chocolate Factory

  12. #12
    Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    12,545

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The World View Post
    Superman's power has never been his problem and that was always an excuse from writers who didn't know how to write him. Made all the more clear with DCU Superman only really being like when he was stomping others into the dirt, Omni-man slaughtering the Gaurdians of the Globe being met with awe and wonder, Saitaman being unironically liked for being incredibly powerful, Jiren having the personality of wet sock but gaining popularity for being powerful, Gurren Lagan in general. Only Superman's own modern writers have the delusion that his power was a problem.
    I've long been thinking they need to inject some Gurren Lagann levels of crazy-awesome into the Superman mythos for a while now.

    It's very bizarre how his OTT powers can be labeled a turn off, but balls-to-the-wall craziness action with similar characters can be embraced elsewhere. is it a leftover from the Reeve film having the infamous flying around the world moment, but otherwise not being able to pull off the surreal, mythic and crazy elements of the Superman franchise to accompany him? Because if people know more that his world and supporting cast/villains are on the same level as him, maybe the whole perception of "too powerful = boring" will go away. Yeah he's essentially a God, but he's battling and teaming up with other God-like beings. He fits in perfectly with the crazy shit he's surrounded by.
    Last edited by SiegePerilous02; 04-20-2021 at 12:34 PM.

  13. #13
    Mighty Member Ra-El's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    1,881

    Default

    Currently Superman isn't even the strongest in in his own house, much less in the whole DCU.
    He is always the second to whatever character DC wants to push that month. They want to show how powerful a new villain is? Superman will be the strongest so that guy can kick his ass.
    They want to show how resourceful a new hero is? Guess Superman will be the stronget again so the new hero can prove himself against him.

  14. #14
    Astonishing Member DochaDocha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    3,551

    Default

    I have to believe that in the first few decades of Superman, readers embraced that he had what seemed like no limits. I also gotta think that people who don't read things like One Punch Man, Gurren Lagan, or DBZ probably point to the OP nature of the protagonists as dealbreakers. That said, I do think too many modern-day Superman writers find his power level to be a problem instead of something to embrace, which is probably not true for the writers of those anime/manga mentioned.

  15. #15
    The Superior One Celgress's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    9,934

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    I've long been thinking they need to inject some Gurren Lagann levels of crazy-awesome into the Superman mythos for a while now.

    It's very bizarre how his OTT powers can be labeled a turn off, but balls-to-the-wall craziness action with similar characters can be embraced elsewhere. is it a leftover from the Reeve film having the infamous flying around the world moment, but otherwise not being able to pull off the surreal, mythic and crazy elements of the Superman franchise to accompany him? Because if people know more that his world and supporting cast/villains are on the same level as him, maybe the whole perception of "too powerful = boring" will go away. Yeah he's essentially a God, but he's battling and teaming up with other God-like beings. He fits in perfectly with the crazy shit he's surrounded by.
    I've been saying this for years. DC/Warner needs to embrace the craziness give us over-the-top battles flashy battles and astounding feats rather than the tired worn-out tope of Evil Superman number1007573-B.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •