Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Outside of celestial beings like the Spectre, yes (although at his highest level in the Silver Age I think Superman even beat him once). But in general you gotta go to the Old Gods and New Gods for those who match him in pure unadultered power/strength. There's some on the mortal plane who can get close, like Diana and Billy, but not match.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 04-20-2021 at 02:05 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The World View Post
    Superman's power has never been his problem and that was always an excuse from writers who didn't know how to write him. Made all the more clear with DCU Superman only really being like when he was stomping others into the dirt, Omni-man slaughtering the Gaurdians of the Globe being met with awe and wonder, Saitaman being unironically liked for being incredibly powerful, Jiren having the personality of wet sock but gaining popularity for being powerful, Gurren Lagan in general. Only Superman's own modern writers have the delusion that his power was a problem.
    Modern? Here's how Maggin described the scene back in the 70s:
    Quote Originally Posted by Elliott S! Maggin
    I swear, it seemed no one but Cary Bates and I really wanted to write Superman stories. The character seemed passé, I think, even to people writing comics for a living. Denny (O’Neil) wrote Superman for more than a year before I showed up, and Len Wein did a bit too. But Denny just never much liked the character. He did some of the best work with the character I had ever seen, but he seemed to think it was just too unrealistic. He wanted grit. He wanted real life. So he decided he’d rather do stories about a bored, pissed-off billionaire who put on a costume and went around beating up bad guys every night. Realistic, he insisted. Go figure.
    It lines up pretty well with what people have been saying for years and decades after, doesn't it? Like even now people are asking if he even gets challenged, despite "all the nerfing" and comparisons. And as far as the latter goes, I feel like the difference between Saitama or Jiren and Superman has to be pretty thoroughly understood to discuss any of the characters in relation to each other. There are so many posts like "this anime character gets to push planets, why can't Superman?" And it's always because we're talking apples and oranges. Especially if the actual power level is irrelevant in the world in which he operates. Like Superman is proportionately as strong in almost any iteration, except for something like that great first year of Morrison on Action where he wasn't nearly as strong as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Ra-El View Post
    Currently Superman isn't even the strongest in in his own house, much less in the whole DCU.
    He is always the second to whatever character DC wants to push that month. They want to show how powerful a new villain is? Superman will be the strongest so that guy can kick his ass.
    They want to show how resourceful a new hero is? Guess Superman will be the stronget again so the new hero can prove himself against him.
    Which is proof of his status. No one cares if your character gets into it with Aquaman. If you're lucky maybe the impression will stick but... I can't remember the last Damage discussion anyone's had, for one.
    Welcome or welcome back! Please check out the updated
    CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    I have been reading more and more Superman the last little bit. And I am remembering all the ones I read before and the shows. Superman has beaten alien warlords, gods, demons, pretty much everyone that has been thrown against him. Is there anyone who can beat Superman? has anyone (Besides Doomsday) done it?

Sorry if this has been asked. I dont come to this section often.
    Are we talking about the greatest physical strength or the most powerful overall?

Either way, no. The Spectre, when he needs to be, is certainly greater at both. There are other cosmic entities. There have been other rare beings who were physically stronger. But, Pre-Crisis/ Silver Age, it was the even of all-time for Superman to run into anybody as powerful or more powerful.
    Power with Girl is better.

Astonishing Member Johnny Thunders!'s Avatar

I always put his strength as comparable to his other 5 senses and his intellect. I think his vision, his hearing, his mental capacity, his speed, they are all "strong' to an unknown amount.

In a weightlifting competition, in Morrison's JLA, I thought he moved the moon?

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post
    Are we talking about the greatest physical strength or the most powerful overall?

Either way, no. The Spectre, when he needs to be, is certainly greater at both. There are other cosmic entities. There have been other rare beings who were physically stronger. But, Pre-Crisis/ Silver Age, it was the even of all-time for Superman to run into anybody as powerful or more powerful.
    Not the most prominent but there was Vartox every so often. Hyper > Super, pretty much. As well as Fate and others with magic from the Silver Age on. Mongul was a latecomer for villains, Grundy and Parasite would beat him pretty soundly as an occasional thing. All I remember of SM vs WW was that one special, but that doesn't quite count.
    Welcome or welcome back! Please check out the updated
    CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Astonishing Member The Frog Bros's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Thunders! View Post
    I always put his strength as comparable to his other 5 senses and his intellect. I think his vision, his hearing, his mental capacity, his speed, they are all "strong' to an unknown amount.

In a weightlifting competition, in Morrison's JLA, I thought he moved the moon?
    Yep, he sure did!

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    He should be (or at least in the top five if not more likely top three) and would be if not for Batman's impervious plot armor.
    Let's not forget the crossfit routine from BvS for his ULTIMATE power boost
    “Look, you can’t put the Superman #77s with the #200s. They haven’t even discovered Red Kryptonite yet. And you can’t put the #98s with the #300s, Lori Lemaris hasn’t even been introduced.” — Sam
    “Where the hell are you from? Krypton?” — Edgar Frog

I do not know if Superman is the strongest.

There are many others that could be just as strong such as: Bizarro, Solomon Grundy, Ultraman, Superwoman (E-3), Wonder Woman, Orion, Captain Marvel, Black Adam, Mon-el, Vartox, Martian Manhunter, Lobo, etc.
    [Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El 10-15-2020 12:32 PM]

"Jason Aaron should know there is already a winner of the Phoenix Force and his name is Phoenixx9."

Like a Red Dragon, The Phoenix shall Soar in 2024!

Astonishing Member Johnny Thunders!'s Avatar

And back in the Bronze Age, they would always describe Mon-El as "mightier" than Superboy. I still would take Superboy in the arm wrestling competition.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    It lines up pretty well with what people have been saying for years and decades after, doesn't it? Like even now people are asking if he even gets challenged, despite "all the nerfing" and comparisons. And as far as the latter goes, I feel like the difference between Saitama or Jiren and Superman has to be pretty thoroughly understood to discuss any of the characters in relation to each other. There are so many posts like "this anime character gets to push planets, why can't Superman?" And it's always because we're talking apples and oranges. Especially if the actual power level is irrelevant in the world in which he operates. Like Superman is proportionately as strong in almost any iteration, except for something like that great first year of Morrison on Action where he wasn't nearly as strong as possible.
    you are right about only one punch man.That is because tge dude is the cealing.no questions asked and his powerlevel has not evrn been tested yet.

But,That proportion or hierarchy exist in other animes as well.Goku or jiren won't be able to touch zeno or the angel or others as of now.deku can't push a planet of the orbit cause allmight couldn't. Jiren ain't superman standin for the person who said that.He felt more like a supersentai standin.All his other squad members are.
    As you said,even if superman can't perform feats like pushing a planet like a baseball or something.They can atleast present his powers in non-bland way with sealings and proportion.For example,deku's shoot style.in simple terms superman doesn't run on electric cables and things like that.just make his powers visually appealing.give him a cloud or a stick or make swing like spider.Just make his movements more alien so that it attracts people
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 04-20-2021 at 09:55 PM.
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"

Quote Originally Posted by DochaDocha View Post
    I have to believe that in the first few decades of Superman, readers embraced that he had what seemed like no limits. I also gotta think that people who don't read things like One Punch Man, Gurren Lagan, or DBZ probably point to the OP nature of the protagonists as dealbreakers. That said, I do think too many modern-day Superman writers find his power level to be a problem instead of something to embrace, which is probably not true for the writers of those anime/manga mentioned.
    Yes, but those franchises border satire, and DC's gotta be *puts on sunglasses* serious.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by I'm a Fish View Post
    Yes, but those franchises border satire, and DC's gotta be *puts on sunglasses* serious.
    For all the seriousness they have in their comics and films, DC doesn't really have any moments that hit as hard as certain characters deaths in a at times very silly show like Gurren Lagann.

Like killing Superman in a movie should be up there with Kamina, but....it certainly was not lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx9 View Post
    I do not know if Superman is the strongest.

There are many others that could be just as strong such as: Bizarro, Solomon Grundy, Ultraman, Superwoman (E-3), Wonder Woman, Orion, Captain Marvel, Black Adam, Mon-el, Vartox, Martian Manhunter, Lobo, etc.
    Is she though? When Max Lord was in Superman's head making him see WW as Doomsday who had just killed Lois he was kicking the crap out of her. it was not even close. She had to kill Lord to save her own neck and make him stop.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Is she though? When Max Lord was in Superman's head making him see WW as Doomsday who had just killed Lois he was kicking the crap out of her. it was not even close. She had to kill Lord to save her own neck and make him stop.
    Did we read the same issue?

She said "no" and sliced Superman's neck open. I though the fight was rather even.
    Last edited by I'm a Fish; 04-21-2021 at 03:09 PM.

I can't quite recall anymore how the fight went down panel for panel, but in general in raw power Superman is generally a step above. I say generally because these things are on the whims of the writers. So I just go off of how things are more often than not portrayed and in that vein, Superman is somewhat stronger, and faster on foot and in the air. But more recently her fighting skills can step up to the point where she still belongs in the same ring as him, so to speak. Its not like she has no chance.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    I can't quite recall anymore how the fight went down panel for panel, but in general in raw power Superman is generally a step above. I say generally because these things are on the whims of the writers. So I just go off of how things are more often than not portrayed and in that vein, Superman is somewhat stronger, and faster on foot and in the air. But more recently her fighting skills can step up to the point where she still belongs in the same ring as him, so to speak. Its not like she has no chance.
    TBH, the whole fight was just them beating each other.

Sups burned WW face, knocked her out for a second when he punched her back to Earth and broke her wrist.

WW gouged Superman's eyes, ruptured Sups ears and slit his throat.