Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Is Superman the strongest in the universe?

I have been reading more and more Superman the last little bit. And I am remembering all the ones I read before and the shows. Superman has beaten alien warlords, gods, demons, pretty much everyone that has been thrown against him. Is there anyone who can beat Superman? has anyone (Besides Doomsday) done it?

Sorry if this has been asked. I dont come to this section often.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Batman

10Char

Sad, but true (although, he had help ):

He should be (or at least in the top five if not more likely top three) and would be if not for Batman's impervious plot armor.
    Last edited by Celgress; 04-20-2021 at 08:12 AM.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Technically yes, but it's circumstantial. Depending on the comic he can exceed characters created to be more powerful like the Spectre, but in a less than ideal situation he can be defeated by a character not nearly as powerful. So it's kinda the same for any character, except he's actually associated with the greatest (collective) power within his best case scenario.
    Welcome or welcome back! Please check out the updated
    CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Retired

Prior to Crisis, he was the strongest. Not as powerful as the Spectre--but then who is--the Spectre is the hand of God so really it's God who is the strongest, and the Spectre is just a hand-puppet.

But pre-Crisis--especially in the 1960s--Superman could do things like pushing entire planets out of their orbit.

Quote Originally Posted by K7P5V View Post
    Sad, but true (although, he had help ):

There is no suit that Bats, Lex, Stark, or whatever can make that would enable them to seriously engage people like Supes. They can annoy him a bit before he shreds their gear. All the prep time in the world will not make that plausible for me. Dark Knight may be Batfans fantasy but Rucka got it right in that Infinite Crisis prologue mini. Bats steps to Supes, Bats dies

Quote Originally Posted by Stanlos View Post
    There is no suit that Bats, Lex, Stark, or whatever can make that would enable them to seriously engage people like Supes. They can annoy him a bit before he shreds their gear. All the prep time in the world will not make that plausible for me. Dark Knight may be Batfans fantasy but Rucka got it right in that Infinite Crisis prologue mini. Bats steps to Supes, Bats dies
    Keep in mind also that DKR was an already weakened Superman due to lack of sunlight and holding back and not even wanting to fight and not using his vision and hearing powers and speed against a Batman raving about how he's the only one to ever beat Superman.
    Power with Girl is better.

Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post
    Keep in mind also that DKR was an already weakened Superman due to lack of sunlight and holding back and not even wanting to fight and not using his vision and hearing powers and speed against a Batman raving about how he's the only one to ever beat Superman.
    It's pretty much a straight-faced version of the Black Knight scene from Monty Python.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Stanlos View Post
    There is no suit that Bats, Lex, Stark, or whatever can make that would enable them to seriously engage people like Supes.
    Here is an idea,i can beat superman by huffing and puffing.This is fiction.Fantasy at that.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 04-21-2021 at 09:49 PM.
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    I have been reading more and more Superman the last little bit. And I am remembering all the ones I read before and the shows. Superman has beaten alien warlords, gods, demons, pretty much everyone that has been thrown against him. Is there anyone who can beat Superman? has anyone (Besides Doomsday) done it?

Sorry if this has been asked. I dont come to this section often.
    Are we talking about the greatest physical strength or the most powerful overall?

Either way, no. The Spectre, when he needs to be, is certainly greater at both. There are other cosmic entities. There have been other rare beings who were physically stronger. But, Pre-Crisis/ Silver Age, it was the even of all-time for Superman to run into anybody as powerful or more powerful.
    Power with Girl is better.

Astonishing Member Johnny Thunders!'s Avatar

I always put his strength as comparable to his other 5 senses and his intellect. I think his vision, his hearing, his mental capacity, his speed, they are all "strong' to an unknown amount.

In a weightlifting competition, in Morrison's JLA, I thought he moved the moon?

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post
    Are we talking about the greatest physical strength or the most powerful overall?

Either way, no. The Spectre, when he needs to be, is certainly greater at both. There are other cosmic entities. There have been other rare beings who were physically stronger. But, Pre-Crisis/ Silver Age, it was the even of all-time for Superman to run into anybody as powerful or more powerful.
    Not the most prominent but there was Vartox every so often. Hyper > Super, pretty much. As well as Fate and others with magic from the Silver Age on. Mongul was a latecomer for villains, Grundy and Parasite would beat him pretty soundly as an occasional thing. All I remember of SM vs WW was that one special, but that doesn't quite count.
    Welcome or welcome back! Please check out the updated
    CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES