Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Ultraman Trigger,

https://screenrant.com/ultraman-show...eveal-details/
    I'm not really familiar with Ultraman but I do remember watching the foxbox one and injoyd it.
    Last edited by choptop; 05-11-2021 at 04:18 PM.

They've improved the look of the suits a bit over the years, but they're really sticking with the "rubber suit" vibe? I guess they don't want to mess with the formula. I haven't watched any Ultraman since I was a kid, but this still looks like it's aimed at 10 yr old boys. Considering how old this franchise is, has there ever been a more grown up version of the show?
    Last edited by j9ac9k; 04-19-2021 at 07:43 PM.

So Tiga for the Reiwa era?
    Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    They've improved the look of the suits a bit over the years, but they're really sticking with the "rubber suit" vibe? I guess they don't want to mess with the formula. I haven't watched any Ultraman since I was a kid, but this still looks like it's aimed at 10 yr old boys. Considering how old this franchise is, has there ever been a more grown up version of the show?
    Well, Ultraman Nexus...but the "rubber suit" is just part of the tokusatsu genre convention.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Well, Ultraman Nexus...but the "rubber suit" is just part of the tokusatsu genre convention.
    In television shows for kids still, yes it is. But for bigger films aimed at a wider audience they're moving away from rubber suits. Shin Godzilla, upcoming Shin Ultraman to name the two most well known examples for us kaiju fans, but elsewhere too - BraveStorm was a film that was kind of a film "reboot" of two old tokusatsu robot films. In the old shows they were made with guys in suits, in the new movie the giant robots were made with CGI.

Of course films have a bigger budget than tv series, but as the cost of CG goes down in Japan we might see less and less of rubber suits. Only time will tell.

Very happy that the TV shows are sticking with miniatures and rubber suits. A little light goes out in the world when we lose fun practical effects!I

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    In television shows for kids still, yes it is. But for bigger films aimed at a wider audience they're moving away from rubber suits. Shin Godzilla, upcoming Shin Ultraman to name the two most well known examples for us kaiju fans, but elsewhere too - BraveStorm was a film that was kind of a film "reboot" of two old tokusatsu robot films. In the old shows they were made with guys in suits, in the new movie the giant robots were made with CGI.

Of course films have a bigger budget than tv series, but as the cost of CG goes down in Japan we might see less and less of rubber suits. Only time will tell.
    Has Japanese VFX caught up with American VFX across the board. I though Shin Godzilla looked pretty good

^ They've got the same technology we do. It's a matter of cost: much smaller film industry means smaller budgets to work with. Shin Godzilla cost about $15 million and was a crazy, runaway hit in Japan making $75 million (the second highest grossing film in Japan that year). Every mainstream US effects-heavy blockbuster costs at least $100 mil.

You gotta know how to make more with less.

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post

I don't think it has anything to do with being for kids, I've seen plenty of mature and dark Toku, it's just a convention that makes it, well, Toku.

Even Shin Ultraman still looks like a guy in a suit and Guillermo Del Toro specifically wanted the Jaeger's and Kaiju in Pacific Rim to still look and move like they could've been done by suit actors, despite being CGI.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Angilasman View Post
    ^ They've got the same technology we do. It's a matter of cost: much smaller film industry means smaller budgets to work with. Shin Godzilla cost about $15 million and was a crazy, runaway hit in Japan making $75 million (the second highest grossing film in Japan that year). Every mainstream US effects-heavy blockbuster costs at least $100 mil.

True. And even some big budget Hollywood CGI isn't always up to standard

As for more adult-aimed Ultra stuff?

Shin Ultraman is a movie reboot that comes out this year and should fit that bill! As a reboot based of the original series it should serve as an introduction.

Previous projects aimed at older audiences?

Ultraman: The Next (a movie), Ultraman Nexus (series) and Ultraseven X (miniseries) all aimed for a more mainstream adult audience, but weren't huge hits - though Nexus and The Next have become cult favorites with good reason.

The Ultraseven direct-to-video specials were aimed at an adult fanboy audience: for people who watched the original Ultraseven as kids.

Ultimate Member

So which one is coming next?

^ Ultraman Trigger will be this year's show. It's apparent a follow-up or spiritual sequel to the popular Ultraman Tiga (1966).

Shin Ultraman is the new movie that reboots the original (1966) series and is made by the same creative team as Shjn Godzilla. Covid has postponed it from its original early summer release, but hopefully we'll get it before years end.

I don't think it has anything to do with being for kids, I've seen plenty of mature and dark Toku, it's just a convention that makes it, well, Toku.

Even Shin Ultraman still looks like a guy in a suit and Guillermo Del Toro specifically wanted the Jaeger's and Kaiju in Pacific Rim to still look and move like they could've been done by suit actors, despite being CGI.
    I don't think they should get rid of a guy in a suit, but I'm surprised they never tried using materials like the Superman or Shazam suit that are form-fitting and practical without looking like rubber. Maybe that's something more suited for Kamen Rider or something...

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    I don't think they should get rid of a guy in a suit, but I'm surprised they never tried using materials like the Superman or Shazam suit that are form-fitting and practical without looking like rubber. Maybe that's something more suited for Kamen Rider or something...
    I don't know what the exact costuming situation is, but I imagine the material they use to make the Ultra suits is conducive for the actors movements and how much they need to use it for a weekly show.

Very happy that the TV shows are sticking with miniatures and rubber suits. A little light goes out in the world when we lose fun practical effects!I
    That not really right though - they're not "sticking" with rubber suits, they're "stuck" with rubber suits - they don't have a choice in the matter, CGI is too expensive to do creature/robot effects outside of film. Basically you're happy that they don't have a really good budget.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    Has Japanese VFX caught up with American VFX across the board. I though Shin Godzilla looked pretty good
    No. They can come close to or equal to American VFX to an extent, but they can't sustain it. They lack the funds to do too much. Something like an Avengers Endgame is way beyond them. That's too much CGI. Budgeting wisely, the amount of CG used for Shin is the max they can do. Just one or two CGI laser spamming monster at a time. Hopefully two, for the fights in Shin Ultraman.

Basically this. It's amazing what you can produce with $15 million these days, but that's not coming close to sniffing what Hollywood can do.
    You're right and wrong - I was remissed to say "for kids" - there are indeed plenty of darker toku series for older audiences. But I still contend that I'm correct that the rubber suits is less because "toku" and more because of "budget." If they had CW DC budgets they'd make their own takes on CG Gorilla Grodds and King Sharks.
    Shin still used no suit despite one having been made, and GDT is a fan with a budget - and Pac Rim's creatures did not look like a rubbery suit.