Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    I liked Mad Max Fury Road, and I was interested in seeing more of Furiosa, but I completely lost interest when they announced that they'd be going with a completely different actress so they could do a prequel of all things.
    I've loved every Anya Taylor-Joy movie I remember watching except Glass (and she wasn't that prominent there compared to Split) so I'll still watch it and think so be it for whatever is the result. Hopefully her doing her best.

Extraordinary Member

If George Miller is doing it, I'll watch. Dude is money in this setting. Anya Taylor Joy is also very great actress and has done some great work in similar roles.

Incredible Member

Default Furiosa: A Mad Max Saga

Ultimate Member

Hmm...at least George Miller is still involved.

Incredible Member James Cameron's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    Hmm...at least George Miller is still involved.
    He's the writer and director, "involved" seems to be putting it lightly
    love is the real "success."
    Free Palestine! 🇵🇸Ceasefire NOW!
    They/Them

Fury Road took them fifteen years or something to make, so dunno if this one will ooze blood, sweat and tears as much. We live in hope though!

Incredible Member James Cameron's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frobisher View Post
    Fury Road took them fifteen years or something to make, so dunno if this one will ooze blood, sweat and tears as much. We live in hope though!
    Fury Road was one of the most difficult and dangerous film productions in history. There's an entire book about it. I don't blame Miller for wanting to go safer for this one.
    love is the real "success."
    Free Palestine! 🇵🇸Ceasefire NOW!
    They/Them

This **** had me at hello. I missed catchin Openhimer at the theater, but I did catch Spider-Verse. Before that it was The Batman. Sorry not sorry but theater experience isn't worth the time, money and/or effort anymore. I've been noticing certain screenings of older movies have sporadically been happening last couple years. Won't be enough to 'save' them per sea. Today's output lack any heart and/or soul creatively but it is a lane that needs to be explored. John Carpenter's The Thing is one of those 80's films I always say I wished I was able to see on the big screen. The old guys here remember the Rocky Horror showings way back in the day, there is a model there and even if it were for slightly wider niche movies.

Anyway I won't let Immortan Joe down. I'll be there in IMAX to watch Thomasin as Furiosa.
    Beefing up the old home security, huh?
    You bet yer ass.

Astonishing Member

The idea of a Mad Max spin-off story is rather fascinating when looking at the overall "mythos" the 4 movies established so far.

If memory serves me right Miller once remarked how the overarching narrative of the Mad Max universe is not a singular editorial curated story, but essentialy a collection of various different stories experienced and retold by different people in different ways within the same universe.

Road Warrior is told by the feral kid as an old man. Beyond the Thunderdome is told by the young woman from the tribe of children once she became a teacher for the next generation, seemingly decades after they settled in the ruins of Sidney. Fury Road meanwhile is implied to be told by a person called "The First History Man", who is briefly aluded to in the opening narration, which also implies that his profession is infact story telling.

This not only neatly explains the notable differences in tone between the movies, but also the stylistic differences too. Especially between the first 3 and Fury Road. The First History Man being perhaps a professional story teller, explains why Fury Road is so much more bombastic. The guy simply knows how to embellish his story better than the old man and teacher.

Essentialy the franchise is akin to a post apocalyptic version of the arthurian legends or icelandic sagas, with Max Rockatansky being a legendary figure that keeps appearing in many of them. Which means both inconsistencies and consistencies that shouldn't be there can actualy add to the charm of the movies rather than subtract from it.

For example why does Max start Fury Road with his V8 Interceptor, even though it was totaled in Road Warrior? Because it's part of the character's mythos, therefor it needs to be there, just like his old leather jacket and sawed off double barrel.

This also creates the interesting implication that Max might not actualy be the "historic" person involved in the events inspiring the in universe stories, but rather the feats and actions of multiple people which were absorbed into the overall myth of Max Rockatansky.

Perhaps to the audience of the First History Man he might not even be a human anymore but a vengefull spirit of the old world, roaming the wasteland looking for purpose and being driven to the people who need his help like Furiosa.

As such Furiosa actualy getting her own spin-off can be seen in the same light as the stories about king Arthur's knights which got added to the mythos over the centuries in medieval times.

Which also means that if people don't like this movie, they can also just ignore it and enjoy the rest of the Mad Max stories including Fury Road, because it doesn't harm any sense of "continuity" of the series since there is not supposed to be one beyond the mythological figure of Max Rockatansky appearing in many of them.
    Last edited by Grunty; 12-03-2023 at 11:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Grunty View Post
    The idea of a Mad Max spin-off story is rather fascinating when looking at the overall "mythos" the 4 movies established so far.

If memory serves me right Miller once remarked how the overarching narrative of the Mad Max universe is not a singular editorial curated story, but essentialy a collection of various different stories experienced and retold by different people in different ways within the same universe.

Road Warrior is told by the feral kid as an old man. Beyond the Thunderdome is told by the young woman from the tribe of children once she became a teacher for the next generation, seemingly decades after they settled in the ruins of Sidney. Fury Road meanwhile is implied to be told by a person called "The First History Man", who is briefly aluded to in the opening narration, which also implies that his profession is infact story telling.

This not only neatly explains the notable differences in tone between the movies, but also the stylistic differences too. Especially between the first 3 and Fury Road. The First History Man being perhaps a professional story teller, explains why Fury Road is so much more bombastic. The guy simply knows how to embellish his story better than the old man and teacher.

Essentialy the franchise is akin to a post apocalyptic version of the arthurian legends or icelandic sagas, with Max Rockatansky being a legendary figure that keeps appearing in many of them. Which means both inconsistencies and consistencies that shouldn't be there can actualy add to the charm of the movies rather than subtract from it.

For example why does Max start Fury Road with his V8 Interceptor, even though it was totaled in Road Warrior? Because it's part of the character's mythos, therefor it needs to be there, just like his old leather jacket and sawed off double barrel.

This also creates the interesting implication that Max might not actualy be the "historic" person involved in the events inspiring the in universe stories, but rather the feats and actions of multiple people which were absorbed into the overall myth of Max Rockatansky.

Perhaps to the audience of the First History Man he might not even be a human anymore but a vengefull spirit of the old world, roaming the wasteland looking for purpose and being driven to the people who need his help like Furiosa.

As such Furiosa actualy getting her own spin-off can be seen in the same light as the stories about king Arthur's knights which got added to the mythos over the centuries in medieval times.

Which also means that if people don't like this movie, they can also just ignore it and enjoy the rest of the Mad Max stories including Fury Road, because it doesn't harm any sense of "continuity" of the series since there is not supposed to be one beyond the mythological figure of Max Rockatansky appearing in many of them.

Does any of that explain why Hardy didn't seem to have an Australian accent in Fury Road?

Quote Originally Posted by Ramsay Snow View Post
    Does any of that explain why Hardy didn't seem to have an Australian accent in Fury Road?
    Not sure if joking, but:

...which means this falls very neatly into "unreliable narrator" even if it gets most of the other details right. It would be an issue if there were no narrator at all, but since there is...

This guy gets it.

It's kind of a bit of a shock after seeing Fury Road, to start with the first one. Society is certainly dystopic in the film but nowhere near the "fighting for sparce resources" post-apocalypse of the next three films.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Mighty Member