View Poll Results: Rate Jupiter Ascending (2015)

Voters
16. You may not vote on this poll
  • 6 - AMONG THE BEST EVER

2 12.50%
  • 5 - AMAZING / SUPURB

1 6.25%
  • 4 - GREAT

2 12.50%
  • 3 - GOOD

3 18.75%
  • 2 - OK / MEH

3 18.75%
  • 1 - BAD

1 6.25%
  • 0 - HORRIBLE

4 25.00%
    BANNED

Default Rate Jupiter Ascending (2015)

Rate and Give your Opinion of Jupiter Ascending (2015)

Came out here on Friday.

Thinking of seeing it on Monday. Will be the fourth Wachowski film I've seen, or in full, including The Matrix, The Matrix Reloaded and Cloud Atlas.

Have been reading and watching about it for a while, and interested. From what I've read, Mila Kunis' Jupiter Jones, above, is meant to be the main character, though that poster makes me think Channing Tatum's the main, and gets my eye towards him, while that really isn't the case.

Anyone recommend the film, even to a Matrix hater like my Dad, for the slow motion stuff, or Cloud Atlas disliker like him, for how it spun from one story to the other, so quick?

Ultimate Member

Saw it with my sister. I thought it was pretty good, overall.

Seems like every time an action movie plays it's concept straight, the critics get a bug up their rear.

Extraordinary Member

It was very entertaining a good popcorn movie. The action could've been better though it's like the Wachoskis traded in their signature style for the less coherent choppy editing/quick cut action styles of the amateur film makers of today. The Wolverine and Winter Soldier come to mind.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by CliffHanger2 View Post
    It was very entertaining a good popcorn movie. The action could've been better though it's like the Wachoskis traded in their signature style for the less coherent choppy editing/quick cut action styles of the amateur film makers of today. The Wolverine and Winter Soldier come to mind.
    ???
    But it's universally agreed that winter soldier had utterly brilliant fight scene editing?

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by evangelionofasgard View Post
    ???
    But it's universally agreed that winter soldier had utterly brilliant fight scene editing?
    A lot of quick cuts in WS. The elevator scene was great but then there were others were they obviously sped the camera up way too fast to compensate for the actors not really looking good in real time. The part where WS flipped the knife while fighting Cap could've really been great but the action almost got lost due to choppy edits. And not many full figure shots. It's like that's a lost art to show people moving showing their whole body.

Astonishing Member

It was pretty good overall. Just straight up action movie, enjoyed the ride. Loved the visuals, great action, even liked the plot and premise. Mila Kunis came across as extremely likeable, even though her character was pretty useless overall. (Would it have killed the writers to let Jupiter save herself at least once?)

It seemed like there was a lot of world building for characters who would never really factor into the finale. With no sequel guaranteed, it seemed like maybe they could have spent more time developing more of a heart for a story. My friends couldn't believe that the guy who played Belem is an Oscar Nominated actor this year. That performance was so over the top he came across as almost cartoon-like.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

It is pretty to look at and ........ um....... that is pretty much it.

5 out of 6 for me, I had a whole lot of fun with this movie.
    Guy And Chou's RPG Site
    Rumbles Moderator

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by CliffHanger2 View Post
    A lot of quick cuts in WS. The elevator scene was great but then there were others were they obviously sped the camera up way too fast to compensate for the actors not really looking good in real time. The part where WS flipped the knife while fighting Cap could've really been great but the action almost got lost due to choppy edits. And not many full figure shots. It's like that's a lost art to show people moving showing their whole body.
    Most every scene in that movie where they're on foot isn't really allowed to play out without some cut. When Black Widow and Captain America fight the Winter Solider on the street there's basically a cut for every action taken. Sometimes the cuts are breaking up what should be a single action, and it's not like they're really doing them for any effect.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by simbob4000 View Post
    Most every scene in that movie where they're on foot isn't really allowed to play out without some cut. When Black Widow and Captain America fight the Winter Solider on the street there's basically a cut for every action taken. Sometimes the cuts are breaking up what should be a single action, and it's not like they're really doing them for any effect.
    Oh yes definitely it got pretty bad at times, same thing with The Wolverine. People make fun of old school action movies but those directors really knew what they were doing.

Pretty boring. The special effects were nice, but the story was awful, Kunis and Tatum had no chemistry, and, to be honest, I just didn't care about anything that went on in the film. The only thing that was kind of good was the concept of genetics as a sort of religion/spirituality.

"You're dead!"- Soldier
    "You first"- Lightning, Final Fantasy XIII

"Yes, boo, cause this is Calvin Klein and I don't play that ****" - Tanisha

"You look like a fairy princess...that resides over the pits of hell." - New York

BANNED

Just got a second look at JA since 2015. As I understand moviemaking better than I did 6 years ago, I realize this movie is epic. This is a beautiful movie with a have and have not storyline and great musical score.
    How did we miss this 6 years ago? Maybe because comic books are dominating and we are over critical and overlook scifi movies that’s not based on a comic book or a previous movie.