three-time juror The Gold Stream's Avatar

Default Who do you think could/should play the next Robocop?

Robocop Returns still has a lot of rumors swirling around it with regards to plot/cast/etc. At this time before any major script changes ( it did lose director Neil Blomkamp already) it has been said that it will soft reboot the series by ignoring the 2nd and 3rd sequels.

-While some people have claimed that Peter Weller may return, in the past he has said he has no interest in the role.
    -It's been claimed that they will use the same suit as the original.

Robert John Burke landed the role in Robocop 3 just because he had similar measurements to Weller.

1. Who could replace Weller as Alex Murphy/Robocop?

2. If for some reason this isn't a continuation of Alex Murphy, who should be a new Robocop?

Peter Weller in mocap.

I think if the director, whoever they choose, convinces him no physical suit will be used but instead something akin to the pajamas Ray Fisher wore to be Cyborg in Justice League, he'd be on board. He really hated the suit (though I think he said the one in part 2 was a slight improvement), but he's not averse to playing RoboCop at all or else he wouldn't have voiced him (the game from which your clip is taken + the KFC commercials).

If he can't be convinced, or has a firm voice-only-reprisal rule? Sebastian Stan. Type-casting, sure, but you need someone a bit established and maybe even beloved to make this work.

Quote Originally Posted by Nate Grey View Post
    but you need someone a bit established and maybe even beloved to make this work.
    maybe a hot-off-the boys Karl Urban can give him the Dredd treatment. I could see Stan though, he has the jaw for it

Are they doing a straight-up remake? That seems like a wasted opportunity to me. I feel they should take it ten years or something in the future where there are a bunch of RoboCops. Each would have varying levels of humanity and it'd be interesting to see how the police force or society has changed having more of them around. Obviously, we as a society see the police differently now and it's ripe for the kind of satire and political statement the first one had. It'd take a smart director with vision to address these issues now without being preachy and find room for entertainment, but it could be a great movie if someone could walk that tightrope, regardless of the person or people in the suit.

But also, Michael Shannon.
    Last edited by j9ac9k; 04-19-2021 at 08:32 PM.

I honestly don't think it matters that much it's like asking who's going to play the next jason voorhees.

michael shannon would be a perfect jason as well

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    Are they doing a straight-up remake? That seems like a wasted opportunity to me. I feel they should take it ten years or something in the future where there are a bunch of RoboCops. Each would have varying levels of humanity and it'd be interesting to see how the police force or society has changed having more of them around. Obviously, we as a society see the police differently now and it's ripe for the kind of satire and political statement the first one had. It'd take a smart director with vision to address these issues now without being preachy and find room for entertainment, but it could be a great movie if someone could walk that tightrope, regardless of the person or people in the suit.
    I've fanfic'd this myself, in my head. I'd use the beginning of the old Corporate Wars script only changing how RoboCop winds up 200 years in the future (in the script he was, um, turned to dust or sand then reconstituted 200 years later). In the future RoboCops are widespread use cause of his success (and subsequent disappearance) but like you said, varying degrees of humanity. Some as docile as RoboCop was with all those junk directives, some worse than Cain/RoboCop 2. I'd call it "RoboCops" with a blink and you miss it S turns to 3 and back to S for the "RoboCops" title sequence.

Quote Originally Posted by choptop View Post
    I honestly don't think it matters that much it's like asking who's going to play the next jason voorhees.
    Personally, I think that's a huge disservice to Weller - you don't realize how much needed "humanity fighting through the programming" acting skill is involved until you see the other actors try to play Robocop in the sequel and reboot. It's not easy to be convincing as that. (It's like the difference between DiCaprio in "What's Eating Gilbert Grape" and Juliette Lewis in "The Other Sister"... or worse, Elisabeth Shue in "Molly.")
    Last edited by j9ac9k; 04-19-2021 at 08:46 PM.

I'd love to see Peter Weller reprise his role as Robocop. He made Robocop a very great film

Incredible Member

I like the idea of Karl Urban, hot dammit if another Dredd movie can't be made then give him Robocop.

Sebastian Stan is another good choice too both actors have a long list of credits and can easily portray Alex Murphy's emotional struggle.

I’ve got this great script idea for a new Rococop film where it doesn’t happen and mysterious accidents befall anyone who tries to produce it.

Quote Originally Posted by Frobisher View Post
    I’ve got this great script idea for a new Rococop film where it doesn’t happen and mysterious accidents befall anyone who tries to produce it.

Extraordinary Member

Just let Weller do it and make the movie computer animated.