Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member Master of Sound's Avatar

Default S.W.O.R.D. and GotG: Last Annihilation

S.W.O.R.D. and Guardians of the GALAXY will be crossing over to The Last Annihilation in July.

Not really strange as both books have the same writer, it was about to happen.

It is not clear how big this will be, just one story crossing over in 1 issue of each, or more and if more titles or one-shots will be included.

I like both series, so I am hyped. Cannot wait for a bitch-talk between Moondragon and Agent Brand.

2021 is the 15th anniversary of the original Annihilation event, but is also the 30th anniversary of Darkhawk. Those who did read it, know that on the final page of Darkhawk: Heart of the Hawk it was teased more would be coming for the character this year - so perhaps 'The Last Annihilation' is where this is all heading for Darkhawk as well.

https://bleedingcool.com/comics/marv...sover-in-july/
    "COURAGE, DON'T YOU DARE LET ME DOWN"
    ==================================================

From Newsarama:

"Guardians and SWORD have been building their own unique gravity for a while now, and in space, when two objects have gravity, there's a pretty good chance they'll crash into each other - or get sucked into the orbit of something even bigger," Al Ewing, writer of both Guardians of the Galaxy and SWORD, says in the announcement.

"Marvel Space these days is a fragile coalition of worlds that chose peace over war, a little bubble of hope in a cruel void - but there's an enemy nobody ever suspected readying an attack that'll either cement all those frail alliances or tear them to pieces."

And for a related Hellfire Gala Spoiler: spoilers:
    Doom is definitely invited, per Gerry Duggan's interview on Off Panel
    end of spoilers

Man I cannot wait for the Gala. It should be all kinds of crazy fun.

I love Ewing's Guardians, but SWORD can't get 2 issues without a crossover
    I wish they had given the book more time to establish itself.
    Schiti did the right thing by leaving.

Quote Originally Posted by Factor View Post
    Was coming to post this. Seems like all this book is doing is being involved with crossovers/other events.

This is the one crossover that makes sense I mean Ewing was setting this up in Empyre before Sword was even announced it's self-contained I'm here for it!

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nasty_Boys View Post
    Was coming to post this. Seems like all this book is doing is being involved with crossovers/other events.
    Yeah, agreed. 7 issues in, 5 are tied to another book/storyline:2-4 King in Black, 6 Hellfire Gala, 7 (at least) Annihilation. I'd like to be able to read a book without being beholden to outside storylines. (And yeah, I know you could argue "Reign of X" could be construed as an outside story, but that's more of a them than an outright storyline.)

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sbp1972 View Post
    Yeah, agreed. 7 issues in, 5 are tied to another book/storyline:2-4 King in Black, 6 Hellfire Gala, 7 (at least) Annihilation. I'd like to be able to read a book without being beholden to outside storylines. (And yeah, I know you could argue "Reign of X" could be construed as an outside story, but that's more of a them than an outright storyline.)
    Immortal Hulk is pretty good since it's free from all the Avengers stuff. SWORD needs a break cuz it's turning into all of his Avengers runs again.
    "Cable was right!"

Quote Originally Posted by Factor View Post
    Both events are kind of their cup-of-tea; Cosmic related issues.
    I do not think it harms the series at all. They are showing the purpose of SWORD and honestly, it does not feel like the KiB issues were stepped away from developing the SWORD series at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Journey View Post
    This is the one crossover that makes sense I mean Ewing was setting this up in Empyre before Sword was even announced it's self-contained I'm here for it!
    Yeah, all of this is crafted BY Ewing. So unlike the King In Black stuff, this is entirely appropriate.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Master of Sound View Post
    Both events are kind of their cup-of-tea; Cosmic related issues.
    I do not think it harms the series at all. They are showing the purpose of SWORD and honestly, it does not feel like the KiB issues were stepped away from developing the SWORD series at all.
    Agreed. This is their job, to deal with extraterrestrial stuff. I’m all for it. The Hellfire Gala is a self contained story from their perspective of the event, so I’m sure it will be more building of the characters and overall theme. SWORD did come out of the end of Empyre so it seems right to crossover with GoG since Hulkling is in that title. That future bit at the end of Empyre needs to get wrapped up.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rnap22 View Post
    Agreed. This is their job, to deal with extraterrestrial stuff. I’m all for it. The Hellfire Gala is a self contained story from their perspective of the event, so I’m sure it will be more building of the characters and overall theme. SWORD did come out of the end of Empyre so it seems right to crossover with GoG since Hulkling is in that title. That future bit at the end of Empyre needs to get wrapped up.
    This is open to anyone who is hyping this, especially if you are doing so to counter people who do not like all the tie-ins, but are you already reading GotG? Did you read Empyre? Do you just see this as an extension of a Ewing-verse, and not a book on its own or a book that is primarily X related? Again, I think some of this is important when realising where people are coming from, especially whether you are already buying GotG.

Bonus question: do you buy books or just 'read' them?

Quote Originally Posted by cranger View Post
    This is open to anyone who is hyping this, especially if you are doing so to counter people who do not like all the tie-ins, but are you already reading GotG? Did you read Empyre? Do you just see this as an extension of a Ewing-verse, and not a book on its own or a book that is primarily X related? Again, I think some of this is important when realising where people are coming from, especially whether you are already buying GotG.

Bonus question: do you buy books or just 'read' them?
    The whole point of SWORD has clearly been that it's not just primarily X-related, but really a bridge between the X line and the cosmic line. That's basically spelled out by Brand in-issue as she resists the idea SWORD is Krakoan.

Yea I don't mind this crossover compared to the King in Black stuff.

I'm actually excited to see the Guardians interact with the team. SWORD is supposed to not be pro-Krakoa but then you have people like Cortez...

Especially if Magneto and Hulkling interact. :O Or Billy! but i haven't seen him on any promotional art

Quote Originally Posted by ChronoRogue View Post
    Yea I don't mind this crossover compared to the King in Black stuff.

I'm actually excited to see the Guardians interact with the team. SWORD is supposed to not be pro-Krakoa but then you have people like Cortez...

Especially if Magneto and Hulkling interact. :O Or Billy! but i haven't seen him on any promotional art
    Billy's on the Guardians cover.