Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Quote Originally Posted by Jabare View Post
    if you're reading Bat-books, Justice League Books, and the Superman/Batman book it doesn't happen that often. The dude is DC's number 1 for a reason and they know it..
    You'd be surprised. Sometimes it feels like every Bat-Book needs to knock Bruce down a peg or make him feel like he's an awful person making terrible mistakes.

Astonishing Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar

Brian Michael Bendis is kind of like your ex who you broke up with months ago, but still lives at your house. His comics from the early 2000s while flawed, felt fresh and exciting, but I feel his later work reads like an older, tired writer, a trap many classic talent fall into.

Honestly, with the exception of Young Justice (where for me the problem stems more from the member characters than his writing) I find Bendis' works on DC to be excellent. In just two issues, I can tell his JL is the most intruiguing it has been in a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by Korath View Post
    Honestly, with the exception of Young Justice (where for me the problem stems more from the member characters than his writing) I find Bendis' works on DC to be excellent. In just two issues, I can tell his JL is the most intruiguing it has been in a long time.
    Well, for me, how he wrote the roster was one of the big problems with the book, which is why I'm very skeptical of him on JL. I've never loved him on a team book.

Incredible Member

It is funny you mention Young Justice. I forgot Bendis was writing Justice League, so I gave this issue a shot. If I closed my eyes, I could imagine this exact dialogue occurring in an issue of Young Justice - Superboy saying Superman's exact lines, Robin saying Batman's exact lines, Naomi still is Naomi, etc.

That's my main issue with Bendis' writing - his writing style (decompressed is the common term used) sounds a lot better coming from angst ridden teenagers, yet it doesn't differ whether he is writing a 13 year old or a 30 year old. When I read him writing non-teenager characters, it makes those characters seem inane.

At least it’s not as bad as his Superman stuff. It’s still bad though. Ruining one favorite franchise after another. I predict he’ll be on to Batman next, when he gets bored with JL, long after I’ve become so. Sigh.

Quote Originally Posted by lefthanded View Post
    It is funny you mention Young Justice. I forgot Bendis was writing Justice League, so I gave this issue a shot. If I closed my eyes, I could imagine this exact dialogue occurring in an issue of Young Justice - Superboy saying Superman's exact lines, Robin saying Batman's exact lines, Naomi still is Naomi, etc.

That's my main issue with Bendis' writing - his writing style (decompressed is the common term used) sounds a lot better coming from angst ridden teenagers, yet it doesn't differ whether he is writing a 13 year old or a 30 year old. When I read him writing non-teenager characters, it makes those characters seem inane.
    I find them to actually speak like real persons, for a change. Angst ridden teenager and adults aren't that different when they speak to their peers, really. Especially when said adults are a group of friends like the Justice League is nowadays.

Incredible Member

Anyone else get the feeling Brutus is very young and might end up on the team!? lol
    Please help Eisner Award winning comic book writer Paul Jenkins and his family:

https://www.gofundme.com/f/please-he...7vlOjaJCkRwCIs

https://www.gofundme.com/f/peter-david-fund

no chance, if Brutus ends up on the team after this arc we'd be reading a shonen manga
    The J-man

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jabare View Post
    no chance, if Brutus ends up on the team after this arc we'd be reading a shonen manga
    Well,you already are so...lol
    Please help Eisner Award winning comic book writer Paul Jenkins and his family:

https://www.gofundme.com/f/please-he...7vlOjaJCkRwCIs

https://www.gofundme.com/f/peter-david-fund

Incredible Member

I find them to actually speak like real persons, for a change. Angst ridden teenager and adults aren't that different when they speak to their peers, really. Especially when said adults are a group of friends like the Justice League is nowadays.
    That's a valid point. He's turning the Justice Leaguers into Millennials!