Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Default Is Spider-Man Still Marvel's Flagship Superhero?

Hi all. Been meaning to ask this question for a long time. Just want to know if you feel that Spider-Man is still Marvel's flagship superhero. By "flagship" I mean the character that is one of, if not the, most popular figures. I'm talking about a character that ranks highly not just in comic books, but also popular culture. Batman and Superman come to mind when I think of this. Indeed, for many decades, Spider-Man was Marvel's answer to those two. The question is, is he still that? In the last decade with the rise of the Avengers, perhaps he isn't anymore?

In any case, would love to hear your thoughts.
    "I am a man of peace."

"A man of peace...who fights like ten tigers."

Mighty Member

I would say he is.
    Folks like Captain America and Iron Man have popped up a lot, and while these characters are hugely popular, I think unless Marvel does a reset on the MCU, then their popularity will remain for a while until they decrease.
    In 10 years, Iron Man would still be a very hot IP, but that's because of the MCU still being in the public conscious.

It's why when they do X-men, Marvel will have to do characters that have already been established (I know this is a hot topic on those parts but I'll post this here), marvel and Disney have a great opportunity to essentially give certain characters a longer lifespan.
    Spider-man has kind of gotten away with it early due to there being so many popular cartoons that are still being referenced today, such as the 60's memes.
    I have a DVD of the iron man 60's show but alas those memes aren't popular yet.

Also Spider-man as a character is highly relatable.
    All these factor in to him still bring the flagship character.

The interesting one to point out however is how it's made the Avengers the flagship team for Marvel. I'll argue Bendis did a lot to help with this, but for the longest time, X-men had way more star power than Avengers.

Short answer - Yes

Long answer - oh hell Yes.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Incredible Member a moment closer's Avatar

That is a tough one to answer. I feel like the answer should be yes but Captain America, Iron Man, and Thor have a huge presence in other media and merch. Cap has surprisingly become my personal flagship hero.

Spider-man or Captain America? Hmm, I'm curious to see what everyone here thinks.

Is there another option I'm missing? Black Panther perhaps? IDK

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by a moment closer View Post
    That is a tough one to answer. I feel like the answer should be yes but Captain America, Iron Man, and Thor have a huge presence in other media and merch. Cap has surprisingly become my personal flagship hero.

Spider-man or Captain America? Hmm, I'm curious to see what everyone here thinks.

Is there another option I'm missing? Black Panther perhaps? IDK
    I wouldn't put cap as top 3.
    I'll say it goes

1. Spider-man
    2. Iron Man
    3. Wolverine

And then maybe cap.

World's Greatest Hero blackspidey2099's Avatar

While Spider-Man is undoubtedly Marvel's most popular and profitable character, I think you could possible make an argument that Iron Man (or maybe even Cap) is considered to be Marvel's flagship superhero in the general conscience, considering that Marvel = MCU to the average person and RDJ's Iron Man is synonymous with the MCU.
    "Anyone can win a fight when the odds are easy! It's when the going's tough - when there seems to be no chance - that's when it counts!" - Spider-Man

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tien Long View Post
    Hi all. Been meaning to ask this question for a long time. Just want to know if you feel that Spider-Man is still Marvel's flagship superhero. By "flagship" I mean the character that is one of, if not the, most popular figures. I'm talking about a character that ranks highly not just in comic books, but also popular culture. Batman and Superman come to mind when I think of this. Indeed, for many decades, Spider-Man was Marvel's answer to those two. The question is, is he still that? In the last decade with the rise of the Avengers, perhaps he isn't anymore?

In any case, would love to hear your thoughts.
    Spidey is absolutely still the flagship character. He has the most miniseries compared to anyone else, except the X-Men. His PlayStation 4 games( I’m including Miles’ spin off game here) were huge hits that the majority of people loved and can’t wait for the sequel. His MCU solo movie is coming out this Christmas and looks to be a huge game changer for him. He stars in one long running animated series after another. And comic fans are curious if Nick Spencer’s Amazing run will end up undoing One More Day and restore his marriage.

Incredible Member a moment closer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FFJamie94 View Post
    I wouldn't put cap as top 3.
    I'll say it goes

1. Spider-man
    2. Iron Man
    3. Wolverine

And then maybe cap.
    I can't believe I left out Wolverine! Yes! He's definitely up there. You're probably right with your top three.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Tien Long View Post
    Hi all. Been meaning to ask this question for a long time. Just want to know if you feel that Spider-Man is still Marvel's flagship superhero.
    Yes.

By "flagship" I mean the character that is one of, if not the, most popular figures.
    Still yes.

I'm talking about a character that ranks highly not just in comic books, but also popular culture.
    Triple yes.

Batman and Superman come to mind when I think of this.
    Superman's stock has fallen a bit when it comes to popular culture, hasn't it?

I mean there's only one or two movies which people genuinely like from the '70s. His most recent films have been by Zack Snyder which has led Superman and Batman and the Justice League to become a Streaming-Only R-Rated film.

Spider-Man on the other hand has done far better.

Indeed, for many decades, Spider-Man was Marvel's answer to those two. The question is, is he still that?
    Spider-Man sells more in merchandise than any other hero, including Batman and Superman and he's still Marvel's #1

In the last decade with the rise of the Avengers, perhaps he isn't anymore?
    The "rise" of the Avengers is misleading for a variety of reasons.

One, Spider-Man is Marvel's biggest single hero. Comparing him against a full roster of Avengers seems weird. You might ask is Iron Man a bigger flagship than Spider-Man? The answer is still Spider-Man but at least it's a valid ask on which one can make fair comparison.

Here's the thing Iron Man is the flagship of the MCU and the Avengers are central to the MCU but fundamentally those are movies and movies are
    a) Not the Daily Bread.
    b) Date and Drift over time, and shed audiences.

The biggest single thing that drives sales for Marvel characters is merchandise, i.e. toys, backpacks, stickers, logos, beanies, and also bedsheets and decorations for kids' rooms. Action figures, toys and so on. Every moment babies are born around the world and chances are their parents buy stuff for the kids' crib and Spider-Man has always been the most popular character for those decorations.

Remember babies, toddlers, little kids are not the primary audience of the MCU. Their point of reference is merch.

The Spider-Man game that was exclusive to one console* sold over 13 million units in about a year. Meanwhile the Avengers game that saw release on multiple consoles and PC is seen as a huge failure for its publisher.

The point is that the MCU is not the be-all, end-all of Marvel.

* Yes, it got a remaster on PS5 but that was well after the fact.
    Last edited by Kevinroc; 04-22-2021 at 08:06 PM.

Who else even compares?

Iron Man and Captain America had arcs that ended in the Avengers films, but their best comics aren't on the same level.

Wolverine's a great character, but his direction in the last twenty years as an elder statesman of the mutants isn't really how he became popular.

Black Panther became more popular in the last few years, but we'll see if Coates' run has a sustained reputation. Obviously, real life complicated T'Challa's MCU storyline.

Spider-Man has a combination of hit movies, hit video games, classic comics and assorted popular adaptations, that no one else at Marvel can compete with.
    Last edited by Mister Mets; 04-22-2021 at 08:10 PM.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

No one's dethroning Spider-Man anytime soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    Who else even compares?
    Well, a couple characters from DC, maybe, but even then it's pretty darn close.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    No one's dethroning Spider-Man anytime soon.

Well, a couple characters from DC, maybe, but even then it's pretty darn close.
    And that's more about flagship superheroes overall, rather than just looking at Marvel.

Batman, Spider-Man and Superman probably compete for flagship superhero, and it may depend on who has the best last few years.

At the moment, it's probably Spider-Man. But it could change if the Robert Pattinson film is enough of a hit.

For example, Superman was the flagship superhero in the late 70s and early 90s.
    Batman took over in the mid to late 80s with the Frank Miller comics, and Tim Burton movies.
    Spider-Man briefly took the spot in the early 90s with Todd McFarlane.
    Superman took it back with the Death & Return story in the 90s.
    Batman seized it again with the Fox animated series.
    Spider-Man took it again with the Raimi trilogy.
    Batman took it back with the Dark Knight films, and Arkham video games.

It goes back and forth.
    Last edited by Mister Mets; 04-22-2021 at 08:17 PM.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    The point is that the MCU is not the be-all, end-all of Marvel.
    Exactly. It also has to be pointed out that Spider-Man appeared in CIVIL WAR, AVENGERS INFINITY WAR, ENDGAME. How much did his presence in those movies tilted the profits of those movies? And can these films (collectively the most successful MCU movies) be considered evidence of the Avengers ascendancy over him, when he's in them?

The MCU has a formula that thrives on novelty. They need to constantly expand and bring in new heroes and new characters and new worlds and universes into the world. Without a sense of importance that this movie is bringing a new corner or that this movie is building to something big, these movies don't do well.

Take AGE OF ULTRON, which by Disney estimates was a failure (it's US box office gross* was lower than that of Avengers 1 and overall not as profitable as the first movie). Age of Ultron was a middle-of-the-road Just-Another-Avengers-Story that introduced three new characters (Wanda, Pietro, Vision) none of whom (at the time) were seen as interesting especially since the stuff that audiences clamored for (Magneto being their Dad) wasn't on the table at the point. The Ant-Man films which Peyton Reed wanted to be standalone tend to underperform compared to the other MCU movies. Thor 2 which was a standalone movie was a major underperformer.

So the success of the MCU can be misleading. It feels much more omnipresent than it actually is.

* As a sidebar, the numbers of box-office returns are generally super misleading. A movie making $1bn is true only in some kind of industry calculation and notebook but that doesn't mean that $1bn literally magicks into someone's moneybin. Most of that money has to go to fees, distributor pay and in the case of international releases, have to be paid to local distributors, tariffs, and other custom fees as a foreign market. The lion's share of these films are the US Box Office grosses (mostly because thanks to tax breaks, they keep a lot more out of it).
    Likewise, the MCU Pre-COVID, released 3 movies a year, but when you make the deductions collectively three $1bn releases don't necessarily add up to a $1bn profit for the company. That's not the case with merchandise and theme park attractions and so on.
    Also due to the high cost of tickets, you must not assume for instance that 1 billion people globally watched the Avengers and so on. In terms of viewership, the Superbowl likely has more eyeballs than any Marvel movie.

Remember when Marvel was promoting Bendis' Iron Man as the flagship Marvel title lol? I don't really see why, he wasn't even the star of that book for 10 issues.