Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast
    Mighty Member

The problem with One More Day was that it was never designed to be good. It was designed to essentially be a soft reboot, ending the Marriage because Marvel saw it as a problem that was inherited during the late 80's.

I've noticed around this time there was this nasty snark in the underbelly of Spider-man stories.
    Peter would laugh and say "I'm too young to get married" which may just be a reference to the fact that editorial have historically been against the marriage.
    It only seems with Spencer, do you have a genuine attempt to address OMD. Last Remains was an entire arc that almost felt like it was a loose conclusion to the three part arc of One More Day and One Moment in Time with it heavily implying the deal was wrong.
    I think Marvel have regrets over how they handled it, but I don't think they regret getting rid of the marriage. It's a problem that the newer editorial have now inherited.
    For the most part, a lot of the big names during that era in terms of both editing and writing have left, with only Nick Lowe and Dan Slott still being around at Marvel, and Slott is so far away from Spider-man at this point that he doesn't have any input on the comics at all (I know there are other editors, but they've had nothing to do with Spider-man and do their own thing).
    Quesada is still with Marvel in a limited capacity and the rest have either moved on or in different sections of the company.
    However, Marvel is a very different company now to what it was in 2007 and we have to face the facts, the marriage lasted about 20 years, One More Day happened about 15 years ago and People are still talking about it.
    Peter hitting MJ during the Clone Saga never gets talked about but Hank Pym hitting Janet does.
    MJ smoking never gets talked about because it was just a stupid way to split them up.

I've said before, I'm okay with them splitting up, hell, they could have waited 5 years and split them up after Superior. The trouble was how they did it, and I think the writers understand that.

There's a reason why Spencer's run starts with "To have and to hold" and it's not just because that's a good deep cut reference, but because that comic was actually saying it was against One More Day.
    The issue with Mary-Jane was that Marvel didn't really like her, but the fans did. So you have this awkward situation where you have to keep the fans happy but the writers and editors remain unhappy. At least that's what it was like in the 90's. By the 2000's, it was just a few People gunning for their marriage to end and those were the vocal, powerful groups.

Quesada's time as Editor in Chief will be remembered for his hand in One More Day, not that Marvel during his tenure was actually pretty good. It was the last big he did and is ultimately his legacy.
    The problem with Dan Slott wasn't that his work was bad, once he got Amazing to himself, he was great, and I enjoyed Superior as well, but it was that he played into the snarky group while the other writers just wanted to tell their stories.
    He basically joined in with the laughing at the audience during those early stories. "Oh there is a mugger, I should stop him as Spider-Man, but no I shouldn't because I don't want Jonah to sell papers".
    That first Brand New Day arc left a worse impression on me than One More Day as instead of continuing with grace, it was snarky comments about a Peter Parker that doesn't exist.

Nowadays, the time has changed a lot. Slott left Amazing almost immediately after Alonso left, which leaves me to believe one of two things, he was taken off the book or he jumped off for the big company relaunch.

I do want to point out however how funny it is that Marvel wanted Spider-man to be young, especially as Ultimate Spider-man was coming out at that time and did everything that Marvel wanted Spider-man to be.
    In fact, it did things better

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    Agreed but sadly there is one glaring problem preventing this from ever happening the mindset of Marvel Editorial - OMD is not an end in and of itself rather it is a means to an end a narrative tool to achieve a desirable (yuck) result for those in power.
    Pretty much.

Quote Originally Posted by FFJamie94 View Post
    The problem with One More Day was that it was never designed to be good. It was designed to essentially be a soft reboot, ending the Marriage because Marvel saw it as a problem that was inherited during the late 80's.

I've noticed around this time there was this nasty snark in the underbelly of Spider-man stories.
    Peter would laugh and say "I'm too young to get married" which may just be a reference to the fact that editorial have historically been against the marriage.
    It only seems with Spencer, do you have a genuine attempt to address OMD. Last Remains was an entire arc that almost felt like it was a loose conclusion to the three part arc of One More Day and One Moment in Time with it heavily implying the deal was wrong.
    I think Marvel have regrets over how they handled it, but I don't think they regret getting rid of the marriage. It's a problem that the newer editorial have now inherited.
    For the most part, a lot of the big names during that era in terms of both editing and writing have left, with only Nick Lowe and Dan Slott still being around at Marvel, and Slott is so far away from Spider-man at this point that he doesn't have any input on the comics at all (I know there are other editors, but they've had nothing to do with Spider-man and do their own thing).
    Quesada is still with Marvel in a limited capacity and the rest have either moved on or in different sections of the company.
    However, Marvel is a very different company now to what it was in 2007 and we have to face the facts, the marriage lasted about 20 years, One More Day happened about 15 years ago and People are still talking about it.
    Peter hitting MJ during the Clone Saga never gets talked about but Hank Pym hitting Janet does.
    MJ smoking never gets talked about because it was just a stupid way to split them up.

I've said before, I'm okay with them splitting up, hell, they could have waited 5 years and split them up after Superior. The trouble was how they did it, and I think the writers understand that.

There's a reason why Spencer's run starts with "To have and to hold" and it's not just because that's a good deep cut reference, but because that comic was actually saying it was against One More Day.
    The issue with Mary-Jane was that Marvel didn't really like her, but the fans did. So you have this awkward situation where you have to keep the fans happy but the writers and editors remain unhappy. At least that's what it was like in the 90's. By the 2000's, it was just a few People gunning for their marriage to end and those were the vocal, powerful groups.

Quesada's time as Editor in Chief will be remembered for his hand in One More Day, not that Marvel during his tenure was actually pretty good. It was the last big he did and is ultimately his legacy.
    The problem with Dan Slott wasn't that his work was bad, once he got Amazing to himself, he was great, and I enjoyed Superior as well, but it was that he played into the snarky group while the other writers just wanted to tell their stories.
    He basically joined in with the laughing at the audience during those early stories. "Oh there is a mugger, I should stop him as Spider-Man, but no I shouldn't because I don't want Jonah to sell papers".
    That first Brand New Day arc left a worse impression on me than One More Day as instead of continuing with grace, it was snarky comments about a Peter Parker that doesn't exist.

Nowadays, the time has changed a lot. Slott left Amazing almost immediately after Alonso left, which leaves me to believe one of two things, he was taken off the book or he jumped off for the big company relaunch.

I do want to point out however how funny it is that Marvel wanted Spider-man to be young, especially as Ultimate Spider-man was coming out at that time and did everything that Marvel wanted Spider-man to be.
    In fact, it did things better
    A good assessment of things, overall.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by FFJamie94 View Post
    The problem with One More Day was that it was never designed to be good. It was designed to essentially be a soft reboot, ending the Marriage because Marvel saw it as a problem that was inherited during the late 80's.....
    A spot-on assessment.

Note - I edited down your post simply to save space but rest assured I endorse it wholeheartedly.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I think the revert back to Doc Ock could've been handled better, and definitely seemed forced, but I'm also in the camp that no matter how hard Otto was trying as SpOck, he was still basically a terrible person who needed to face the consequences of his actions and didn't need a "get out of jail free card to be a Superhero because he's 'not that bad a guy'."

So that's my take on it.
    He killed and tortured.He took over someones life and then tried to get with his girlfriend.When rejected by her defiled their memories together by rubbing one of(implied).And all this aside people forget that he only decided to do good when he got Peter's memories.He didn't redeem himself because it wasn't otto it was otto and pete mixed together.Our memories make us who we are and the fact that they mixed those memories up means there was no redemption.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    the editors on this book are taking a major toll on me and breaking me down
    LOL.Also I am looking forward to the end of the run.I think(and hope) Spencer can land this.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Aura Blaize View Post
    Venom.

If you seriously believe that then you have to believe that it's only a matter of time before Venom goes back to the way he was, despite all of his massive character development.

Or Jonah. After what is a complete overhaul of their relationship, it's only a matter of time before he goes back to his "THAT WEBBED MENANCE!" mentality.

And there is the problem in comics nowadays. If everything is going to eventually go back the way it was then why even bother?
    Venom won't go back any time imo.
    1-Because we already have other symbiotes that are bad guys(carnage,etc.)
    2-The movies show venom as an anti-hero and movies influence comics a lot

so does, Octavious have his normal, non-Peter-clone-body back, or is he still "superior octopus"?

I'm not interested in him trying to be a hero, nor am I interested in him having any of Peter's memories-- at all..

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderfan001 View Post
    Venom was never really a bad guy however, unless since the mid 90's. He was always more of a lethal nuisance to Spider-man.
    I'll say it's one instance where the comics greatly influenced the movies.

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderfan001 View Post
    I kind of hope Jonah doesn’t go back either- I kind of like him as Pete’s bumbling, but well meaning ally.

Quote Originally Posted by protege View Post
    I kind of hope Jonah doesn’t go back either- I kind of like him as Pete’s bumbling, but well meaning ally.
    Definitely one of the best things from recent years of stories, and Zdarsky's issue opening that can was an all-timer. I really don't want that kind of development rolled back ever, the only way that happens is if something dumb happens like JJJ getting a bump on the head or another mass-mindwipe. We had over 50 years worth of stories in the main universe with JJJ being that way, this is something fresh and sincere that keeps him closer to Peter and the readers than ever before. If writers ever wanna use classic angry Spidey hating JJJ again it should just be in alternate universe stories imo, you can do a lot with him the way he is now.

Quote Originally Posted by Spidey_62 View Post
    Definitely one of the best things from recent years of stories, and Zdarsky's issue opening that can was an all-timer. I really don't want that kind of development rolled back ever, the only way that happens is if something dumb happens like JJJ getting a bump on the head or another mass-mindwipe. We had over 50 years worth of stories in the main universe with JJJ being that way, this is something fresh and sincere that keeps him closer to Peter and the readers than ever before. If writers ever wanna use classic angry Spidey hating JJJ again it should just be in alternate universe stories imo, you can do a lot with him the way he is now.
    JJJ being Spidey's Best Friend can an endless font of entertainment that gets Peter in as much trouble as Anti-Spidey Jonah ever did.

It's a great development.

I like what they've done with Jonah but I feel like he'll be back to genuinely hating Spider-Man within a year or two. I think that's about as much mileage as they can still get out of them being buds.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I like what they've done with Jonah but I feel like he'll be back to genuinely hating Spider-Man within a year or two. I think that's about as much mileage as they can still get out of them being buds.
    Honestly, if we can get fifty years of mileage out of 'bring me pictures of Spider-Man!', I think we can get a bit more out of JJJ making Spidey's life hell by trying to 'help'.

Quote Originally Posted by Tendrin View Post
    Honestly, if we can get fifty years of mileage out of 'bring me pictures of Spider-Man!', I think we can get a bit more out of JJJ making Spidey's life hell by trying to 'help'.
    I feel like it might eventually get to a point of being annoying and just be a little more repetitive (which I kind of felt during the Chance arc), but that's just me.

Different strokes and all that .

I wasn't really sure where else to post this but I just thought it was interesting, "deleted" page from ASM 56 with Peter calling Matt in prison. https://www.comicartfans.com/Gallery...?Piece=1721750