Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415161718 LastLast

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by Zeitgeist View Post
    Yeah I remember when Slott and Wacker joined the community in posting here, and I can tell you with the utmost clarity the only reason why Slott was "snarky" was because he was completely inundated by bad faith arguments by people who were practically trolls because they were up in their feelings about the direction of the book and decided to lash out at him directly rather than have the emotional maturity to communicate their feelings in a far less combative nature. A writer and an editor from Marvel - on their premier book no less - decide to hang out on the boards and people have misgivings that they defended themselves from that kind of crappy behaviour? I don't blame him at all. If you really think he was at fault in these interactions, I'd ask myself why you don't see any other creators chilling around forums anymore either.....
    Indeed, I was ashamed to be a member of these forums when I witnessed how badly Slott was treated by certain users. There was no respect or human decency involved. It was semi-criminal, IMO. An early example of the Twitter (Social Media) Lynch Mob in disgusting action.
    Last edited by Celgress; 04-26-2021 at 07:59 AM.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Astonishing Member

I was suspecting something like this when the first teaser was revealed. But some covers confuses me. I mean, on one hand, we have the Vulture and the "Savage Six"; and on the other hand, we have Doc Ock with a more classic version of "Sinister 6". But the original Electro is among those, and last time I checked, Max Dillon died. Explanation?

And it seems the Sinisters are not going to be limited to 12, as the female Sinister Syndicate is going to be part of this chaos too.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    Indeed, I was ashamed to be a member of these forums when I witnessed how Slott was treated by certain users. There was no respect or human decency involved. It was semi-criminal, IMO. An early example of the Twitter (Social Media) Lynch Mob in disgusting action.
    The key term is “Certain users” you always have a lunatic fringe, and they are not the example of most of us. I have been rough on Dan Slott because I did not care for his attitude or the direction of the comic. If he chooses to voice his opinion on why things are done, that is fine ( we can agree or disagree), but when your goal is to rile up people with smart ass comments ( comparing Peter to Charlie Brown was one I hated), and he is making millions he should expect rough treatment.

Quote Originally Posted by NC_Yankee View Post
    The key term is “Certain users” you always have a lunatic fringe, and they are not the example of most of us. I have been rough on Dan Slott because I did not care for his attitude or the direction of the comic. If he chooses to voice his opinion on why things are done, that is fine ( we can agree or disagree), but when your goal is to rile up people with smart ass comments ( comparing Peter to Charlie Brown was one I hated), and he is making millions he should expect rough treatment.
    While that was arguably earned, I think he took a lot of unfair criticism from the MJ stans. I say this was unfair because no writer could have focused on MJ during the period immediately following her demotion from devoted wife to occasional moody love interest because of the editorial mandate. Marvel Editorial was deadset on proving they were right during that time (I think they still are to a degree).
    Last edited by Celgress; 04-26-2021 at 09:31 AM.

BANNED

Dan Slott is a freelancer and rest assured he's not making "millions". Neither in fact are editors like Wacker (at least from editing alone, maybe he earned more in producing animation?). Writing comics is not at all a high paying gig.

I think he took a lot of unfair criticism from the MJ Stans. I say this was unfair because no writer could have focused on MJ during the period immediately following her demotion from devoted wife to occasional moody love interest because of the editorial mandate.
    Dan Slott and Wacker and others did get unfair comments, insults, and worse stuff online. All that is true and it's not deserved in the slightest.

At the same time, Slott and Wacker made the choice to enter into this fray, they decided to barge in places where they had to know they wouldn't be welcome. They weren't content with letting the work talk for itself.

Wacker and Slott also knew that they were coming after a story that was indefensible from any angle and yet they were paid to essentially validate that decision which meant that they couldn't publicly say anything about that. That's a difficult position from a professional perspective and I respect people wanting to do stuff they dislike to pay rent...that's fair, I don't respect people indulging in public acts of self-pity or trying to come across as heroes for doing that. And that's what a lot of the affect that Wacker and Slott put on in their interactions. They kept whining that people never got over OMD, that nobody treats them fairly and while that might be true, it's also something that comes with the territory and there was a lack of self-awareness there.

Astonishing Member

While that was arguably earned, I think he took a lot of unfair criticism from the MJ stans. I say this was unfair because no writer could have focused on MJ during the period immediately following her demotion from devoted wife to occasional moody love interest because of the editorial mandate. Marvel Editorial was deadset on proving they were right during that time (I think they still are to a degree).
    It is not just about MJ. Look at the hatchet job on Felicia, the dumbing down of Peter, and last but certainly not least the snarky comments. I am also he first person to acknowledge that the property of Spider-Man belongs to Marvel ( and now their corporate parent Disney), certainly not to me. But I have said it before and I will say it again, Dan Slott and company made reading Spider-Man an unpleasant experience and after Silk, I did the only thing that was an acceptable way to voice my displeasure: Stop reading or even commenting until he left the book. To this day I will not read FF on anything he writes.

It is not just about MJ. Look at the hatchet job on Felicia, the dumbing down of Peter, and last but certainly not least the snarky comments. I am also he first person to acknowledge that the property of Spider-Man belongs to Marvel ( and now their corporate parent Disney), certainly not to me. But I have said it before and I will say it again, Dan Slott and company made reading Spider-Man an unpleasant experience and after Silk, I did the only thing that was an acceptable way to voice my displeasure: Stop reading or even commenting until he left the book. To this day I will not read FF on anything he writes.
    While I detested the "Queen Pin of Crime", I enjoyed Slot's run for the most part. I love grand spectacle and Slott gave that in spades from Spider-Island to Superior to Spider-Verse I loved them all (for different reasons). To each their own as they say.
    Last edited by Celgress; 04-26-2021 at 03:41 PM.

I wonder if Marvel Editorial gave Amazing Spider-Man to Nick Spencer, and let him actually acknowledge OMD, because they wanted to make it up to him for interfering as heavily as they did on his Captain America/Secret Empire story. (Hydra Cap was something that actually made it out of the world of comics and really upset MCU fans.)

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    I wonder if Marvel Editorial gave Amazing Spider-Man to Nick Spencer, and let him actually acknowledge OMD, because they wanted to make it up to him for interfering as heavily as they did on his Captain America/Secret Empire story. (Hydra Cap was something that actually made it out of the world of comics and really upset MCU fans.)
    I don't think Marvel Editorial is that sentimental or that dedicated to its writers. The opposite.

I think it's because they liked Spencer's pitch, he was willing to dedicate himself to ASM and write twice-a-month and they felt it would be different from Slott's run.

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    I don't think Marvel Editorial is that sentimental or that dedicated to its writers. The opposite.

I think it's because they liked Spencer's pitch, he was willing to dedicate himself to ASM and write twice-a-month and they felt it would be different from Slott's run.
    There was a lot of contention about Secret Empire and Hydra Cap that went well above Marvel Editorial if the rumors are true.

Astonishing Member

There was a lot of contention about Secret Empire and Hydra Cap that went well above Marvel Editorial if the rumors are true.
    I do not think Hydra Cap was as hated by average people like OMD. Why? Spider-Man is for lack of a better term “The Disney Wing” of Marvel. Captain America like Black Panther and Green Arrow have usually been very political ( like it or not). Spider-Man until JMS really was not controversial ( Drug Issues and Clone Saga aside). The Dan Slott, Wacker, Quesada and Alonso clique basically ran Amazing off the reservation, and Spencer was hired ( in part) to bring it back.

I do not think Hydra Cap was as hated by average people like OMD. Why? Spider-Man is for lack of a better term “The Disney Wing” of Marvel. Captain America like Black Panther and Green Arrow have usually been very political ( like it or not). Spider-Man until JMS really was not controversial ( Drug Issues and Clone Saga aside). The Dan Slott, Wacker, Quesada and Alonso clique basically ran Amazing off the reservation, and Spencer was hired ( in part) to bring it back.
    Hydra Cap broke out into the mainstream. And it pissed a lot of people off. Rumor has it that the outrage got people above Marvel Editorial involved.

hydra cap was very hated I don't beleive the average person were that outrage that peter lost his marriage compared to Cap being a nazi this whole time
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

I do not think Hydra Cap was as hated by average people like OMD. Why?
    Hydra Cap was absolutely hated by average people lmao. I was in college at the time and people who didn't read comics would come to me pissed hearing some writer at Marvel made Cap a nazi, totally fuming about it. I tried to reassure them this kind of stuff happens in comics every Wednesday and it's just a story to go on a ride with that would have an end.

Astonishing Member

Hydra Cap broke out into the mainstream. And it pissed a lot of people off. Rumor has it that the outrage got people above Marvel Editorial involved.
    I admit I do not read Captain America so I did not read Hydra Cap. That said We can agree that Amazing on average is the most important comic in Marvel. So my question is this: If people above editorial were so angry at Hydra Cap, why would they hire the man who wrote it ( Nick Spencer) to go and write your most important character? That makes no sense whatsoever ( unless of course they really liked the story ( like Quesada etc did with OMD)).
    Last edited by NC_Yankee; 04-26-2021 at 02:41 PM.