Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 612131415161718 LastLast
    Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by NC_Yankee View Post
    Typical Dan Slott. Something goes wrong is always someone else’s fault. He bears no blame in anything bad happening ( well in his mind perhaps).
    Except that editorial does have a history of ruining stories and characters.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by xpyred View Post
    Except that editorial does have a history of ruining stories and characters.
    I am not defending editorials, but sometimes they are actually right, and need to step in to prevent a disaster from happening. A famous example was A Christmas Carol. In the original idea offered by Dickens, Scrooge died. The editor of the American newspaper he wrote it for said “Americans would not accept it.” Obviously as history has proven, he was correct in pushing the happy ending ( at the end of his life Dickens admitted it). Taking this to Spider-Man, the original idea of Sins Past was the Stacy Twins were Peter’s and not Osborn’s. The editors made JMS change it to Norman. As bad as Sins Past was ( and the entire idea should have been rejected out of hand), sticking more guilt on Peter, would probably have been much worse then Sins Past itself.

Mighty Member

Hot take, but I think giving Peter kids who look older than him is a much better idea than them being Norman's.

Tell me it destroys the whole point of Peter and that it damages the character forever, at least it doesn't harm probably one of the best Spider-man issues of all time.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    The rumors are that the people high up in the company dictated Secret Empire be changed from what Marvel and Spencer originally intended, and Marvel Editorial offered him Amazing Spider-Man to make it up to him (and, if true, I imagine to send a message to other creators that they would still give them high-profile work when those high up in the company got involved in their comics).
    what was the ending of secret empire going to be if it wasn't what happened
    if the ending was not what the writer wanted, then why did marvel ignore the ending in the next captain america run
    every time i hear about the marvel changing the ending theory i lose braincells having to say that the author said he ended it the way he wanted to (this isn't 100% proof but it's of some value) and also no one saying what this supposed secret ending is, were the captains america not going to beat the fascist empire, this entire rumor is based off people thinking marvel was in hotter water than they were and imagining a reaction that didn't happen
    also spencer get the spider-man offer before that event even started, that's why spider-man gets one line in the free comic book day issue, because spencer knew he had the book
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Quote Originally Posted by FFJamie94 View Post
    Hot take, but I think giving Peter kids who look older than him is a much better idea than them being Norman's.

Tell me it destroys the whole point of Peter and that it damages the character forever, at least it doesn't harm probably one of the best Spider-man issues of all time.
    the goblin kids are a flop concept but norman and gwen are much more interesting together and aside from her death and i guess george's death that's the only interesting event in her flop history
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

I am not defending editorials, but sometimes they are actually right, and need to step in to prevent a disaster from happening. A famous example was A Christmas Carol. In the original idea offered by Dickens, Scrooge died. The editor of the American newspaper he wrote it for said “Americans would not accept it.” Obviously as history has proven, he was correct in pushing the happy ending ( at the end of his life Dickens admitted it). Taking this to Spider-Man, the original idea of Sins Past was the Stacy Twins were Peter’s and not Osborn’s. The editors made JMS change it to Norman. As bad as Sins Past was ( and the entire idea should have been rejected out of hand), sticking more guilt on Peter, would probably have been much worse then Sins Past itself.
    My issue was the weird timeline. What is the calendar age of Sarah and Gabriel?

Pete feeling guilty wouldn't make that much difference since he treats them like his children anyways and doesn't seem bothered that they're Norman's children. It's like "Maybe if I'm a good role model they won't turn out like their father?" In part it's because he loved Gwen that much. It didn't matter who the father was... more so in the case of Sarah since Pete takes one look at her and immediately thinks "You look like Gwen".

The "deadbeat dad" angle cannot apply unless he knows they exist.... and the lengths he went to to save Sarah... yeah...

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post

Pete feeling guilty wouldn't make that much difference since he treats them like his children anyways and doesn't seem bothered that they're Norman's children. It's like "Maybe if I'm a good role model they won't turn out like their father?" In part it's because he loved Gwen that much. It didn't matter who the father was... more so in the case of Sarah since Pete takes one look at her and immediately thinks "You look like Gwen".

The "deadbeat dad" angle cannot apply unless he knows they exist.... and the lengths he went to to save Sarah... yeah...
    I could easily see “The deadbeat dad” angle being used by Slott and company if they had the chance. There was nothing they would not sink to in order to make Pete look like a loser

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    the goblin kids are a flop concept but norman and gwen are much more interesting together and aside from her death and i guess george's death that's the only interesting event in her flop history
    Yeah no.Thats like saying I don't like Nightwing/find him boring so lets him make amnesiac guy who lives in his taxi but a 100 times worse.Just because a character is boring to you doesn't mean you get to ruin them for people who actually like them.And if you tell the writer wanted this story they didn't,editirial literally forced him to do it.

Extraordinary Member

I could easily see “The deadbeat dad” angle being used by Slott and company if they had the chance. There was nothing they would not sink to in order to make Pete look like a loser
    If they make peter a bad dad we riot.Honestly slott may have had editorial interference as he says but making peter a man-child which spencer has cleaned up is something for which he should never get to touch spider-man ever again

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post

I think they should just ignore it.While trying to grow a lotus out of mud is a good idea if the mud is this vile,radioactive and just plain gross it is better to ignore and address to retcon.Can we take this page back to sinister stuff and leave this atrocity against mankind behind

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderfan001 View Post
    If they make peter a bad dad we riot.Honestly slott may have had editorial interference as he says but making peter a man-child which spencer has cleaned up is something for which he should never get to touch spider-man ever again
    I agree 100%. But Slott is a consultant on the Spider-Man cartoon and he won Diamond Awards for sales, so even though I gave his run a Grade of F, others (those with power) disagree with me.

Extraordinary Member

I agree 100%. But Slott is a consultant on the Spider-Man cartoon and he won Diamond Awards for sales, so even though I gave his run a Grade of F, others (those with power) disagree with me.
    He cares about numbers and to please the people with power than actual fans and content.He sold books because Spider-man as a title is always high on the list.He has mediocre/sometimes good ideas but his execution was horrendeus.

God, I've rarely seen a comics writer suffer so many presumptions as to what kind of person he must be as Dan Slott gets from Spidey fans.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Tendrin View Post
    God, I've rarely seen a comics writer suffer so many presumptions as to what kind of person he must be as Dan Slott gets from Spidey fans.
    People make presumptions about every writer. It comes with the territory.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tendrin View Post
    You should see his twitter feed and how he interacts with fans online in general.He has consistently mocked people and made fun of characters.I don't like the guy but also would never send any type of threat or even hate in general to him