Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
    Incredible Member

Decided to discontinue with issue 62 but plan to live on vicariously through the rest of you fine folks. Hope this "sinister" news lives to the hype!

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by wleakr View Post
    Decided to discontinue with issue 62 but plan to live on vicariously through the rest of you fine folks. Hope this "sinister" news lives to the hype!
    I don't blame you. I only recently returned and I'm having second thoughts as things are rather meh now; not bad just boring and predictable.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

iMan 42s

On the note of Otto, they had no reason to make him Doctor Octopus again or at least with such a massive revision. And frankly that was an opportunity to start fresh with the character since he literally wasn't the last Otto. This is a mental duplicate who started as Spider-man. The least you could do is hold onto the Superior Octopus design especially when it was an opportunity to have both versions of the character due to the cloning angle. It also doesn't help that the last arc is insufferably bad and it only resulted in a cameo in Doctor Doom of all places so it wasn't even worth it. And frankly who did it even appeal to aside from those who didn't like the character who aren't even reading the book? An opportunity for everyone to win and the change appeals to a demographic who doesn't even give a ****.

If Otto comes back to be a bad guy it needs to justify the shift. Otherwise your just placating to limp dick status-quo.

I keep saying that this run is just 90's Spider-man all over again. I've yet to be proven wrong.
    -----------------------------------
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.

Extraordinary Member

I dislike superior spider-man with a passion.It didn't redeem ock's character since it was pete's memories and he defiled MJ and Pete private memories.Also everyone was so out of character and dumbed down.Slottt made pete a dumb man-child and then used that as a reason for ock to be better.All that being said once the damage was done keeping him as a clone body kinda hero was the way to go.Bringing him back in the villain life was stupid.

Spectacular Member

It seems like the story is called Sinister War and it will involve Kindred and Doctor Octopus.

Extraordinary Member

Just saw spoilers for 64 and
    SPOILERS!!!!(I don't know how to put the spoiler tags)

Doc ock goes to the cemetery and a Kindred worm gets in his ear and knocks it out.Kingpin and mordo manage to form a "line of communication" to kindred and Norman isn't very happy about it.The arc in july will be called sinister war.

Incredible Member

“Sinister war in July.”
    LMAO!!! Dragging this kindred crap out as much as they can right? I’m so over this.

Man, reading these Spidey threads for years now and, recently, all I see is non-stop whining. What is going on guys? Wanna go back to actual intentional dragging along that goes nowhere? Dan Slott has been doing that for TEN YEARS, or have you forgotten? Look, I love Spidey no matter what, so even during those years we got some amazing stories (and one of my favorites: Spider Island).

But I'm reading about this Kindred business on cbr forums and it seems to me that the good majority is here for immediate answers to the mysteries... when in my opinion it absolutely, and however cheesy it may sound, IS all about the journey. Do you remember the old days of Roger Stern? I'm a child of the 90s so my first Spidey was definitely Bagley-eyed husband of MJ, but during Stern era I'm sure there were also a lot of letters demanding they reveal Hobgoblin's identity (that weren't included in omni, ahem), and yet it was constantly engaging and refreshing to read all of the steps of the story that built the grander narrative.

I mean, sure, I would like to know how it all goes... But not right now. That would be skipping an engaging book. Right now would mean Spencer is leaving the book, and this run's been one of my favorites, by far (I'm talking on the level of JMS, Stern in my book). All of the side characters were carefully written and engaging in their own way, MJ and Peter are finally together again and last time they felt as good like that was when Fraction wrote them on top of the Empire State or, naturally, JMS before they OMD it all to hell. We've had two incredible artists along the way: Ryan Ottley and Pat Gleason (who will hopefully return for more), along many others and of course Bagley's return.

You'll get all of your answers. Eventually. You'll be able to read it all once it's over and appreciate the story for its entirety and all of its carefully connected elements. But when it's over - it's over. I don't know who comes after Spencer and right now I don't care. If he doesn't royally mess up the finale, whoever comes next will have a helluva difficult task.

Quote Originally Posted by m4st4 View Post
    Man, reading these Spidey threads for years now and, recently, all I see is non-stop whining. What is going on guys? Wanna go back to actual intentional dragging along that goes nowhere? Dan Slott has been doing that for TEN YEARS, or have you forgotten? Look, I love Spidey no matter what, so even during those years we got some amazing stories (and one of my favorites: Spider Island).

But I'm reading about this Kindred business on cbr forums and it seems to me that the good majority is here for immediate answers to the mysteries... when in my opinion it absolutely, and however cheesy it may sound, IS all about the journey. Do you remember the old days of Roger Stern? I'm a child of the 90s so my first Spidey was definitely Bagley-eyed husband of MJ, but during Stern era I'm sure there were also a lot of letters demanding they reveal Hobgoblin's identity (that weren't included in omni, ahem), and yet it was constantly engaging and refreshing to read all of the steps of the story that built the grander narrative.

I mean, sure, I would like to know how it all goes... But not right now. That would be skipping an engaging book. Right now would mean Spencer is leaving the book, and this run's been one of my favorites, by far (I'm talking on the level of JMS, Stern in my book). All of the side characters were carefully written and engaging in their own way, MJ and Peter are finally together again and last time they felt as good like that was when Fraction wrote them on top of the Empire State or, naturally, JMS before they OMD it all to hell. We've had two incredible artists along the way: Ryan Ottley and Pat Gleason (who will hopefully return for more), along many others and of course Bagley's return.

You'll get all of your answers. Eventually. You'll be able to read it all once it's over and appreciate the story for its entirety and all of its carefully connected elements. But when it's over - it's over. I don't know who comes after Spencer and right now I don't care. If he doesn't royally mess up the finale, whoever comes next will have a helluva difficult task.
    I think it's fair to acknowledge where some readers are burnt out on the mystery at this point. Ya gotta give Spencer credit where it was a mystery with some suspects from the start and turned out to be one of them, no silly swerves! The Hobgoblin mystery got derailed by editorial changes and writer changes with nobody really knowing who it was supposed to be. The thing with the Hobgoblin though was pretty much the whole mystery was who he was, and they've emphasized how with Kindred the bigger thing is what he wants so it feels like we are still pretty in the dark even though we know who he is after 60 issues.

Personally I think a combination of marketing overhyping/overselling stories as being bigger than they are, as well as some stories feeling artificially stretched (Last Remains) has been hampering the impact of the mystery when it counted most. I'm all for a good ride so long as it feels worthwhile but right now I'd rather spend my money supporting some indie titles where it feels like every issue I'm getting something of substance instead of a big Marvel book where it's constantly riding on the promise of big stuff happening sometime soon. Sometimes I feel like the tpb readers have it better cause I have no doubt stories like Last Remains are more satisfying to pick up once its collected rather than the single issues where sometimes hardly anything happens. Not to say I haven't enjoyed Spencer's run, I like the approach more than Slott's by a lot overall. It feels like Spidey's world again, which I don't think it really has since the late 2000s.
    Last edited by Spidey_62; 04-20-2021 at 10:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Spidey_62 View Post
    I think it's fair to acknowledge where some readers are burnt out on the mystery at this point. Ya gotta give Spencer credit where it was a mystery with some suspects from the start and turned out to be one of them, no silly swerves! The Hobgoblin mystery got derailed by editorial changes and writer changes with nobody really knowing who it was supposed to be. The thing with the Hobgoblin though was pretty much the whole mystery was who he was, and they've emphasized how with Kindred the bigger thing is what he wants so it feels like we are still pretty in the dark even though we know who he is after 60 issues.

Personally I think a combination of marketing overhyping/overselling stories as being bigger than they are, as well as some stories feeling artificially stretched (Last Remains) has been hampering the impact of the mystery when it counted most. I'm all for a good ride so long as it feels worthwhile but right now I'd rather spend my money supporting some indie titles where it feels like every issue I'm getting something of substance instead of a big Marvel book where it's constantly riding on the promise of big stuff happening sometime soon. Sometimes I feel like the tpb readers have it better cause I have no doubt stories like Last Remains are more satisfying to pick up once its collected rather than the single issues where sometimes hardly anything happens. Not to say I haven't enjoyed Spencer's run, I like the approach more than Slott's by a lot overall. It feels like Spidey's world again, which I don't think it really has since the late 2000s.
    I'm sure some readers were burnt out on the mystery, definitely. I mean, it's evident just by reading the comments here. But I also really appreciate the input of people like Professor, from Comic Book University (over at YouTube), who like me really enjoys the ride so far, but my advice for people like that would be to stop reading solicits, and with all of their mainstream marketing comic book knowledge understand that, paraphrasing: IT. ALL. COMES. DOWN. TO. THIS!!! ... really doesn't mean that much, in most cases.

My advice is to stop reading solicits and start reading stories because this is why we're here, to read and rate and analyse these fantastical stories, with our friends and on the forums. Sure, right now a lot of it is a bit Agatha Christie's Poirot and the mystery is relevant, for sure, but you also get the world building, emotion and overall consistent and quality writing that just wasn't there for Spidey in years. Slott is a very good writer, but imho can't hold a candle to Spencer's ability to juggle multiple story threads (as evident with everything coming together even with all of the side characters recently) and still deliver.

Also, I remember, during Slott era, OMD was always here, somewhere, lurking as a topic, and rightfully so. Right now, you have actual, palpable reason to stick around and see where this is going because since issue number #1 OMD was there, you felt it. I don't know how all of this will end, but Spencer is not affraid to tackle OMD, the biggest taboo in Marvel, and I'm sure that was one of his mandates before starting writing Spidey.
    Last edited by m4st4; 04-20-2021 at 11:14 PM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by m4st4 View Post
    Without trying to make things political, here’s an analogy; because Biden is a better President than Trump was, does that mean we’re never allowed to complain about Biden now? Because you’re making a similar argument here.

This is a discussion board. We can discuss the flaws of the run. It’s not “whining”... it’s identifying shortcomings and discussing where we want the book to improve. Whether it’s due to editorial interference or Spencer just not having a good sense of pacing and resolution, we have mysteries and subplots that have dragged on way too long. I’m starting to get “clone saga mastermind” flashbacks. This is better than post-Superior Slott (honestly, what isn’t?), but it’s not an A+ book. It has serious flaws. And the longer the storylines drag on, the more apparent these flaws are becoming. If you (or Marvel) wants to see less griping from fans, then they need to do a better job. Perhaps they can start with ending the Kindred stuff and bringing the OMD teases to a resolution.

Quote Originally Posted by HypnoHustler View Post
    Without trying to make things political, here’s an analogy; because Biden is a better President than Trump was, does that mean we’re never allowed to complain about Biden now? Because you’re making a similar argument here.

This is a discussion board. We can discuss the flaws of the run. It’s not “whining”... it’s identifying shortcomings and discussing where we want the book to improve. Whether it’s due to editorial interference or Spencer just not having a good sense of pacing and resolution, we have mysteries and subplots that have dragged on way too long. I’m starting to get “clone saga mastermind” flashbacks. This is better than post-Superior Slott (honestly, what isn’t?), but it’s not an A+ book. It has serious flaws. And the longer the storylines drag on, the more apparent these flaws are becoming. If you (or Marvel) wants to see less griping from fans, then they need to do a better job. Perhaps they can start with ending the Kindred stuff and bringing the OMD teases to a resolution.
    Right from the start, I'd like to separate actual discussion from 'LMAO I'm out this is stupid/ridiculous/tedious' posts. Right? Okay. Then, naturally, discussion and analysis is welcome and favorable.

As for the pacing issues, well, up to preference and expectations I think? If you expect to get all of the answers immediately and if that is your main goal while reading these stories, then you'll be disappointed no matter what. My point is, when you do get resolutions to Kindred stuff and OMD teases, it's over. The story is over. The 'book' has been designed to function as an overarching narrative with multiple ups and downs and twists and turns. Once it's done, you'll get a new Spidey writer, most likely.

I'll say this, sure, Spencer had some issues for me during Hunted and shortly after that event, in a way that I didn't really see the point of some of the threadlines he created there. But most recently, with the whole mafia/Kingpin/stones subplots coming together, I really can't say nothing else other than it maybe took him longer that it should have. But it's currently a 64 issues narrative, digressions and narrative retardations are a given because that's how they work in a saga of sorts.

And did someone mention Clone saga? The entirety of its grotesque form? Well, sure, but that was... you know, a pulpy 90s trash? Classic, infamous, with numerous memorable moments, but a specific moment in time none the less.
    Last edited by m4st4; 04-21-2021 at 12:40 AM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    My first thought was this would resolve the multiple Sinister Six teams Spencer has established in his run.

We don't have any guarantee of that. It all depends on the execution.

We could still debate to high heaven whether Otto deserved or earned any of that, although I will admit it seemed like they rushed too quickly to make him Doc Ock again (even if I'm under the belief he doesn't deserve to be Spider-Man).
    I have made some wrong predictions before so I am happy I was correct about Otto coming back. The combination of Otto and Dillion in the upcoming movie and the fact Spencer seeming wanting to write every character who has appeared in Amazing, made it difficult to believe that he would leave the book without writing Otto. The Sinister Six is also a way to deal with Mysterio and Vulture two plot lines that have been left hanging ( they were also members of the Sinister Six), as well as Dillion and Sandman two other Sinister Six members that Spencer has not touched. Of course, the other member of the original Sinister Six was Kraven, so if indeed the Sinister Six is coming back, the question is who will be the 6th member? I would love to see it be Kingsley.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by NC_Yankee View Post
    I have made some wrong predictions before so I am happy I was correct about Otto coming back. The combination of Otto and Dillion in the upcoming movie and the fact Spencer seeming wanting to write every character who has appeared in Amazing, made it difficult to believe that he would leave the book without writing Otto. The Sinister Six is also a way to deal with Mysterio and Vulture two plot lines that have been left hanging ( they were also members of the Sinister Six), as well as Dillion and Sandman two other Sinister Six members that Spencer has not touched. Of course, the other member of the original Sinister Six was Kraven, so if indeed the Sinister Six is coming back, the question is who will be the 6th member? I would love to see it be Kingsley.
    . I will also say that the odds are looking larger that we are seeing the end of Spencer’s run ( like it or not). If we see the Sinister Six and the villains I mentioned (especially if Kingsley pops up), what else is there to do? Deal with Kindred and OMD, and set things up for the next writer ( What happens with Peter and MJ for example). that is about it.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathangoop1811 View Post
    It seems like the story is called Sinister War and it will involve Kindred and Doctor Octopus.
    Just read Amazing #64 and I think we are going to get a war between the various Sinister teams. Which is natural since Spencer did write the version with Boomerang and now Janice is leading her own version albeit the Sinister Syndicate.

So Six vs The Syndicate?

It makes sense for Otto to pop up as he is another who made a deal with Mephisto. The gaps he is looking for are the memories of his time as Superior that were wiped away so he could become Doc Ock again.