Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Always Rakzo

Default Nightwing #79 Discussion/Spoilers

Same old Tom Taylor.

Just like in the previous issue, there are a few things to like. Once again, I feel like Taylor gets Dick's voice for the most part as well as his dynamic with Barbara, there are a few good jokes here and there while at the same time, some cool references to Dick's past (nothing too obscure because that's out of Taylor's grasp obviously).

However, there's the usual Taylor's bluntness like the first thing that Dick believes he has to do with his new money is helping poor people because that's "something that Bruce didn't do". First of all, I'm not even that familiar with Batman stories and even I know that Bruce sure as hell did a lot for the people of Gotham as Bruce Wayne just like like he did as Batman so this is another off take by Taylor. Second, Dick giving food to a bunch of homeless people is the most obvious thing anyone could have done and yet Taylor wants to make it pass like a charming scene (and even worse, somehow make it preachy). Third, there's very little plot progression once again aside from a set-up for what's up to come.

No complaints about Bruno Redondo. Beautiful characters, style and storytelling. Keep doing what you're doing man.

No surprises so far. Too bad I'm too familiar with the writer.

Quote Originally Posted by Rakzo View Post
    However, there's the usual Taylor's bluntness like the first thing that Dick believes he has to do with his new money is helping poor people because that's "something that Bruce didn't do".
    That not what he said at all.
    DC: Dick Grayson, Wally West, Donna Troy, Yara Flor, Titans

Some of my favorite Mangas: One Piece, Slam Dunk, Fullmetal Alchemist, HunterXHunter, Vinland Saga, Monster, Berserk, Vagabond.
    Current reading: Jujutsu Kaisen, Chainsaw Man, Spy X Family, Kaiju Nº8, Blue Lock, Dandadan.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Drako View Post
    I get that but at some point, writers like Tynion and Taylor have to be less vague about what Bruce could've done more of.

I'm glad that it seems like Taylor is on track to providing (hopefully with specific detail) a plan for Bludhaven that Bruce didn't have for Gotham. And I hope he begins to explain it next issue.

Yeah I never got the feeling that particular moment of charity was him trying to say that it's something Bruce never did. Everyone knows the guy's a philanthropist. I could see why that kind of connection would be made though since the feeding the homeless scene came directly after he talked about how much "more" Bruce could do. But, even with that in mind, I don't think the implication was ever that Bruce doesn't help the less fortunate.

Overall, I think what Dick really wants is to improve Bludhaven as himself in the ways that Bruce Wayne hasn't done for Gotham. Which I feel is a pretty valid train thought considering how much of **** hole Gotham is, even with the constant stream of superheroes under its protection. Sure Wayne Enterprises helps and Bruce, himself, helps. But there's always more that could be done.
    Last edited by Blue22; 04-20-2021 at 04:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue22 View Post
    Yeah I never got the feeling that particular moment of charity was him trying to say that it's something Bruce never did. Everyone knows the guy's a philanthropist. I could see why that kind of connection would be made though since the feeding the homeless scene came directly after he talked about how much "more" Bruce could do. But, even with that in mind, I don't think the implication was ever that Bruce doesn't help the less fortunate.
    Yeah, Dick said he thought that Batman could do more as Bruce, not that he didn't do anything.

Anyway, i liked a lot. I'm just waiting for the plot to develop more.
    DC: Dick Grayson, Wally West, Donna Troy, Yara Flor, Titans

Some of my favorite Mangas: One Piece, Slam Dunk, Fullmetal Alchemist, HunterXHunter, Vinland Saga, Monster, Berserk, Vagabond.
    Current reading: Jujutsu Kaisen, Chainsaw Man, Spy X Family, Kaiju Nº8, Blue Lock, Dandadan.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

This is probably my favorite bat-book out right now, and it's shaping up to be a fantastic run for Dick.
    Taylor really gets what makes Dick Grayson work, he understands that this is a character made for light, breezy, action and upbeat, optimistic themes and he delivers that wonderfully here. I loved how the issue was centered on Dick reminiscing about his past and what he learned first as an acrobat, then as Robin and then a solo hero and then a leader of team and how that lead him to realize he wants to do more than just punch bad guys in order to help people. And sure, it's not a terribly new or unique direction for a hero on the mend but it fits Dick really well as a character so I'm excited to see where it goes.

A lot of why I love this book comes down to Redondo's art, like the structure and mood of the plot itself Bruno's art has a lightness and fluidity about it that just fits Dick like a glove. The opening sequence featuring first the evolution of Dick from his days with the circus through his current costume while simultaneously portraying him jumping from one building to the next was not only beautifully done but was a great way to illustrate the plot point of the changes Dick has gone through over the years. And the follow up with the vignettes of his various families, though not as creatively laid out was just as good. It really doesn't get much better than this.

Always Rakzo

Mostly implied.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue22 View Post

Overall, I think what Dick really wants is to improve Bludhaven as himself in the ways that Bruce Wayne hasn't done for Gotham. Which I feel is a pretty valid train thought considering how much of **** hole Gotham is, even with the constant stream of superheroes under its protection. Sure Wayne Enterprises helps and Bruce, himself, helps. But there's always more that could be done.
    That's Gotham for you...maybe Dick has a better chance with Bludhaven.

I think the whole thing about Bruce was ridiculus.

Bruce has numerous foundations, finances a mega operation to protect where institutions cannot, has saved the world several times. He is not a person who needs gratitude, validation or recognition and anyone would think that someone who has known Bruce for so long and supposedly so well, would understand something so basic about him.

I can't wait to see how Taylor, I mean Dick fix poverty. (It's going to take forever tough, I don't think I have the patience) The more I think about this run the less I like it.

The art is very pretty.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rakzo View Post
    Second, Dick giving food to a bunch of homeless people is the most obvious thing anyone could have done and yet Taylor wants to make it pass like a charming scene (and even worse, somehow make it preachy). Third, there's very little plot progression once again aside from a set-up for what's up to come.
    It works. I've been looking at people's reactions online and they like that scene. This is what a billionaire supposed to do! I never read this book but I like what I'm seeing. I stand this man. He's the best. Stuff like that.

Like I personally think it's a bit much, but that page actually does work as an online promo of his rep (not talking about the comic sales itself)

Quote Originally Posted by Rakiduam View Post
    Bruce has numerous foundations, finances a mega operation to protect where institutions cannot, has saved the world several times.
    But it's not visible. That's the thing. The last panel moment I remember when he does that is in Detective Comics reviving Martha's orphanage, and people do like that, and they want more of that, but most of the panel shot coming from comics, be it preview or spoiler, are him fighting, or the past few years, romancing Catwoman.

We live in an era of constant information and meme, and they spread fast. If they want to establish Bruce doing that, they need to be direct, obvious, easy to share, and consistent.

What consistent in the past few years of Batman is BatCat, that's what they've been showing and focusing on. Even if the panel exists somewhere like Detective Comics, it's not happening often enough for people to be aware of it.

Also yeah I'm aware of the difference between what's actually happening in the comics and what people share, but this whole Tynion taking way Bruce's wealth is happening because of it.

We're living in a meme world, and content creators have or want to catch up, even if what's been meme-d isn't exactly true, because it spreads fast and it affects public perception, and at least DC or Tynion think that it will affect rep and sales sooner or later.

Now whether their decision is the right thing... looking at Nightwing 79 reaction, it would've been better if Batman holds a baby and go down to the slum directly at the beginning of a story arc, because that's the establishing moment.
    Last edited by Restingvoice; 04-20-2021 at 11:14 PM.

Astonishing Member failo.legendkiller's Avatar

I’ve enjoyed it again.
    This book is finally the one I’m waiting for every month. I haven’t had that in a long time with Nightwing title!

Marv & George Pizza it’s a gem.
    Teen Titans & brothers panels fullfilled my heart along with fathers one.

There is a clear structure and direction, the setup is now completed. For the next issue I expect a change of pace.

I liked this issue, while it is not big on action except for that cool scene with Dick flipping around and fighting those suited guards, it's mainly what I would call new status quo set up while also looking at who Dick is as a person with Billions to his name and also establish a new villain. Personally I like Nightwing like this, it shows hes a good person and why he is one of my favorite characters at dc. Can't wait for next issue.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    It works. I've been looking at people's reactions online and they like that scene. This is what a billionaire supposed to do! I never read this book but I like what I'm seeing. I stand this man. He's the best. Stuff like that.

Like I personally think it's a bit much, but that page actually does work as an online promo of his rep (not talking about the comic sales itself)

But it's not visible. That's the thing. The last panel moment I remember when he does that is in Detective Comics reviving Martha's orphanage, and people do like that, and they want more of that, but most of the panel shot coming from comics, be it preview or spoiler, are him fighting, or the past few years, romancing Catwoman.

We live in an era of constant information and meme, and they spread fast. If they want to establish Bruce doing that, they need to be direct, obvious, easy to share, and consistent.

What consistent in the past few years of Batman is BatCat, that's what they've been showing and focusing on. Even if the panel exists somewhere like Detective Comics, it's not happening often enough for people to be aware of it.

Also yeah I'm aware of the difference between what's actually happening in the comics and what people share, but this whole Tynion taking way Bruce's wealth is happening because of it.

We're living in a meme world, and content creators have or want to catch up, even if what's been meme-d isn't exactly true, because it spreads fast and it affects public perception, and at least DC or Tynion think that it will affect rep and sales sooner or later.

Now whether their decision is the right thing... looking at Nightwing 79 reaction, it would've been better if Batman holds a baby and go down to the slum directly at the beginning of a story arc, because that's the establishing moment.
    So....Dick went from the leader of the Titans, a detective and a hero to a meme sensation...wow! these run is doing wonder for him.

The whole set up become even more stupid when you remember neither Dick nor Barbara have ever managed money, they don't make money, I don't even know if either of them has had a remunerated job in this continuity. I hate when they write a dumb Dick, and this one that is looking like an authentic fool.

Quote Originally Posted by Rakiduam View Post
    The whole set up become even more stupid when you remember neither Dick nor Barbara have ever managed money, they don't make money, I don't even know if either of them has had a remunerated job in this continuity. I hate when they write a dumb Dick, and this one that is looking like an authentic fool.
    Well, as far as I know, Babs is still an employee of an elected official so I think she at least has a salary.

Having gone back to read it a second time, I can say that the Issue stops working for me once we get to the pizza party.

Dick's most emotionally meaningful interactions in this Issue are limited to Babs. Plus there is another glimpse into the past to show how close Dick and Alfred were. While Dick interacts with the homeless, we don't learn anything about them. Dick gives, but he doesn't ask what they want or need the most right now.

The kids not recognising Nightwing as a hero, I can ignore, but Dick not asking who they mean by "are you the man without a heart?", I can't. That phrasing should make him note that something is wrong, especially because he is so horribly shocked. One short inner monologue would have been enough.

As for the money at large: Imo, letting Dick permanently fix Blüdhaven or a part of it, is the only way that Dick suddenly being a Billionaire will have an impact. Less than that and it isn't any different from what Bruce has been doing.

As for Dick handling money... I do think he should have more skill than what we've seen so far considering Alfred gave him the money because he is supposed to know what he is doing.