Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Fantastic Member

Default Which Superman origin is currently canon? (Also a question about Birthright)

So after Rebirth and Doomsday Clock and Dark Crisis im a bit confused as to what origin story is currently canon for Supes? I would imagine since this is the Post-Crisis Superman it would be John Byrne's Man of Steel? But that was supposedly overwritten by Birthright when it came out but after Infinite Crisis Johns wrote Secret Origin and that became the new origin. He also merged with New 52 supes so is Morrison's Action Comics run the origin? Any evidence in recent comics as to which it is?

Also a followup question in 2004 when Birthright came out DC announced this was the new origin story for Superman but did any comics or storylines actually acknowledge that? I remember people questioned it when Identity Crisis came out and still had the MOS versions of the Kents.

Secret Origin is the “most” canon origin. Only part of it that isn’t in canon is Clark’s Superboy career with the Legion and that’s probably going to be recanonized soon by Johns. However various writers have referenced different parts of different origins in continuity, for example Morrison’s Clay Ramses is the current canon Kryptonite Man. Superman is a mess continuity wise and writers have the freedom to reference stories from any era without regard for making it all “fit” together.

For Tomorrow used the Waid/Yu Kryptonian designs and I believe Johns had Clark use his “soul vision” on Conner but those are the only two times Waid’s origin got acknowledged.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Incredible Member magha_regulus's Avatar

No. It's up in the air right now. They haven't given us a solid answer to this. Hopefully we get an answer in the new comics. I wager it'll be heavily reliant on Geoff Johns' Secret Origin with some other elements peppered in.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Secret Origin is the “most” canon origin. Only part of it that isn’t in canon is Clark’s Superboy career with the Legion and that’s probably going to be recanonized soon by Johns. However various writers have referenced different parts of different origins in continuity, for example Morrison’s Clay Ramses is the current canon Kryptonite Man. Superman is a mess continuity wise and writers have the freedom to reference stories from any era without regard for making it all “fit” together.

For Tomorrow used the Waid/Yu Kryptonian designs and I believe Johns had Clark use his “soul vision” on Conner but those are the only two times Waid’s origin got acknowledged.
    Really? that so boring tbh. I preferred if we had the New 52 origin but we cant since the Kents are alive now...somehow?

Quote Originally Posted by Prime View Post
    Really? that so boring tbh. I preferred if we had the New 52 origin but we cant since the Kents are alive now...somehow?
    They’re back because Manhattan brought them back to life

I wish they had left Morrison’s origin alone too but Johns was never going to pass up the opportunity to reassert his vision as the One True Canon. Least Waid is just taking Birthright and building his own side universe off of it.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

I think as long as Johns is at DC, he will have veto power over any other version of Superman's origin, unfortunately. Just like he's the only one who gets to use the JSA.
    Assassinate Putin!

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    They’re back because Manhattan brought them back to life

I wish they had left Morrison’s origin alone too but Johns was never going to pass up the opportunity to reassert his vision as the One True Canon. Least Waid is just taking Birthright and building his own side universe off of it.
    Oh I haven't read Waid's stuff since coming back to DC. He is referencing Birthright?

Quote Originally Posted by Wally West View Post
    Oh I haven't read Waid's stuff since coming back to DC. He is referencing Birthright?
    No he’s doing a sequel to Birthright as a Black Label book, the Batman/Superman: World’s Finest thread is also an unofficial Waid thread, you can get more info there.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

My compromise would be to just make the Donner origin canon and move on. It's the one most people are familiar with and most people seem fine with it even if it's not their favorite. New 52 would probably be ideal but I don't see them going back to it.
    Assassinate Putin!

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    My compromise would be to just make the Donner origin canon and move on. It's the one most people are familiar with and most people seem fine with it even if it's not their favorite. New 52 would probably be ideal but I don't see them going back to it.
    The problem is that with so many origins floating around, whichever they pick has to address things from the others just to enshrine "canon" vs "didn't happen". Was he Superboy- either just with the Legion or secretly before going public as Superman? Clark as super-jock or always hiding any physical ability? Knows his Kryptonian roots ... when?

Donner's movie origin gives a rough overview but just how Clark becomes Supermn is vague. He left after Jonathan's funeral and reappeared over a decade later. It is glossed over in the movie- but just what does Perry think his new reporter was doing for the past 12 years? That's a pretty big resume hole. And just how old would that make Clark when he appears? Or by the time he marries Lois and raises a kid?

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Just leave it be superman doesn't need an origin.doomed planet,desperate scientist,last hope.. that's it.
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Clark View Post
    The problem is that with so many origins floating around, whichever they pick has to address things from the others just to enshrine "canon" vs "didn't happen". Was he Superboy- either just with the Legion or secretly before going public as Superman? Clark as super-jock or always hiding any physical ability? Knows his Kryptonian roots ... when?

Donner's movie origin gives a rough overview but just how Clark becomes Supermn is vague. He left after Jonathan's funeral and reappeared over a decade later. It is glossed over in the movie- but just what does Perry think his new reporter was doing for the past 12 years? That's a pretty big resume hole. And just how old would that make Clark when he appears? Or by the time he marries Lois and raises a kid?
    The movie gives me the impression that Clark spends 12 years isolated in the Fortress being educated by the Jor-El program. Which I've always thought was an awful part of his backstory, keeping him separated from humanity and not helping people for such a long time.
    It seems to me that Clark being Superboy and part of the Legion opens up new avenues for storytelling. You can do Superboy on modern Earth stories, and Superboy with the Legion stories. That's basically two whole separate spin off books you can do. I don't see how that takes anything away from also having a Superman comic as well.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    Just leave it be superman doesn't need an origin.doomed planet,desperate scientist,last hope.. that's it.
    except that is so vague that every creator who approaches the character trying to flesh it out. That is how the desperate scientist winds up Mr. Oz, the Edison of Krypton, and a dozen other things. It's how Krypton's destruction is attributed to everything from old age to Brainiac to The Circle.

Better to nail the details down than let them turn Jor-El into a godly figure who purposefully sent his son with a mission.

Retired

While I love Donner's SUPERMAN, there are some things in that movie I just have to let go. On the day Jonathan Kent dies, playing on a car radio is "Rock Around the Clock" by Billy Haley and the Comets which was released in 1954. On the day Lois Lane dies, playing on a car radio is "Give A Little Bit" by Supetramp which was released in 1977. So it's more like twenty years than twelve that have passed between when Clark walked away and when he returned to the world of men. I don't have a problem with the c.v. he gave Perry White to get the job--that's a minor detail. But it doesn't make a lot of sense that he was away for so long in real time.

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Clark View Post
    except that [Morrison's All Star super simplistic origin] is so vague that every creator who approaches the character trying to flesh it out.
    Better to nail the details down than ...
    I'd like it if there could perhaps be a modern consensus Superman fleshed-out origin tale, but problem is that it requires such a quality seminal acclaimed story (that cleverly juggles the immense and varied mess of it all like some good origin elements from all mediums) that simply hasn't been written, and feels unlikely to be written any time soon.

Until then, I'm content enough I suppose relying on past origins, even pre-Crisis ones, or the Fleischer one, or just combining past ones in my head.
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 12-28-2022 at 10:49 AM.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”