Page 67 of 208 FirstFirst ... 175763646566676869707177117167 ... LastLast
Results 991 to 1,005 of 3110

Quote Originally Posted by hairys View Post
    Let me amend that to panned by fans. My thinking is that Superman has a long history and has had many great creators working on him over the decades, and to my recollection, not one of them has been able to use Supes to solve "inequality" for example. I don't know that I consider Taylor to be such an intellectual powerhouse that he'll come up with something that all those great creators couldn't.
    That makes sense, I agree with you about the lofty goal - I don't know how that story is told without changing the character completely, and not for the better.
    Does it need doing?
    Yes.
    Then it will be done.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Here’s the User Reviews:
    Attachment 111916

I think part of why it’s being well received is you can read this and not be confused which is what would happen if Taylor dropped continuity heavy details like “by the way I spent years in a volcano on Earth 3” the way some people want.
    I suppose that either way a first issue is too early to tell the quality of an ongoing.

I don't think the the aged-up thing is ever gonna fully work, the best they can do is make it inoffensive.
    Does it need doing?
    Yes.
    Then it will be done.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

The issue was boring..it didn't focus on jon's fall.instead of focused on hyping him up without any reason at all.That kinda garbage is what sinks superman.I thought ww would just be some small part..But,nope!the entire issue was that.I didn't feel anything out of character with damian,though.He has always strived to shift things in gear.The kid literally built his own prison cause the justice system in gotham sucks...It was basically super-sons#1 this time.I like that.Damian isn't the one seeking jon.Jon wants to be superman...He has fallen in his own eyes.That should have been the crux of the story.That moment with the person he let go, should have been his fullmetal alchemist moment(i couldn't even save a little girl)
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 07-27-2021 at 09:37 PM.
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"

I didn't think I could be this bored by a first issue. The story basically amounted to nothing. It really doesn't feel like a fresh new direction for Superman. It's just pages and pages of characters telling us how Jon is the greatest hero EVER, even thought he did nothing of note and the book's premise has been done before.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Factor View Post
    I didn't think I could be this bored by a first issue. The story basically amounted to nothing. It really doesn't feel like a fresh new direction for Superman. It's just pages and pages of characters telling us how Jon is the greatest hero EVER, even thought he did nothing of note and the book's premise has been done before.
    Jon is not going to re-invent the wheel, at least not for me. I'm not bothered by him repeating what is essentially Clark's greatest hits for today's generation, I just have a problem touting him as the "greatest EVER" when Clark's done it before and without having characters praise him right out of the gate before he did anything of note. Jon's been busy in his short life but nothing that has convinced me of everything I'm being told is true of Jon beyond supposedly finding new way to use his abilities. The book would do better to show and not tell going forward. Having read through the thread and reading how #2 was initially supposed to be Taylor's #1, it would have helped because I didn't get much from this issue that piqued my interest and I would have saved some money. I want to give this a shot, beyond just loving the character of Jon, and hearing some great stuff on Lois (please don't disappoint), I'm not sold on this direction and I've accepted that I never really will.

It was ok. We didn’t learn or see anything new that we didn’t already know going in. Jon was born, people say he’s going to be the greatest and strongest ever, he tells Damian that he wants to fight for a better world, the end.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

I think this is a pretty good start. It's very much a story about a young man at 20 struggling to figure out how to make a difference in the world while also struggling with the burden of being the son of two of the world's most influential and respected people.

As a result, it's got a similar feeling to Morrison's Neo-Golden Age social crusuder from the New 52, but with the new twist of the expectations that come with being a legacy that everyone is repeatedly telling "will surpass us all!". This works for me because I also get the very real sense that Jon's going to *&%$ it up, which is a pretty interesting choice.

Quote Originally Posted by DABellWrites View Post
    Perhaps not Taylor, but once he's off the book? That's up in the air. However, Jon has been Clark Jr. for a long time now, if you ask me. Bendis with Saturn Girl. Yara and Future State. I also think Jon has a friend who had a crush on him back during rebirth. I also think she was a red-head too.
    No, she was blonde.
    https://dc.fandom.com/wiki/Kathy_Branden_(Prime_Earth)
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hizashi View Post
    That makes sense, I agree with you about the lofty goal - I don't know how that story is told without changing the character completely, and not for the better.
    Yeah, and let's say Jon can come up with some sci-fi way to solve "climate change." Does Taylor have enough brainpower to write believable sci-fi in that case? We'll see.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

I feel like some people are overlooking why Taylor decides to have other characters wax poetic about Jon's potential and how he could be even greater than his father, and Lois is the one who explains it. It's somewhat of a blink-and-you'll-miss-it line, but it's very much the point: "can we maybe wait until he's breathing outside of an amniotic sac before pushing unfair expectations on him?"

And by the end of the issue it's addressing internal aspects about Jon that drive the external rather than the expectation dictating his actions. It's how he's different from Clark. It's how he needs to find time to himself to get a better look at himself. It's what HE wants the symbol to stand for rather than the expectation. And because Taylor decides to give Lois that line, I'm even more excited about her part in the book.

I think it's a really solid way for new readers looking to dip their toes into what is assuredly going to be the central internal conflict and backbone of the whole book.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Quote Originally Posted by hairys View Post
    Yeah, and let's say Jon can come up with some sci-fi way to solve "climate change." Does Taylor have enough brainpower to write believable sci-fi in that case? We'll see.
    This first issue doesn't fill me with confidence. I don't like the retcon to Jon's origin, I know the old one isn't exactly neat, but I liked it. The political slant was too on the nose, definitely heard Taylor and not Damian or Jon.
    Does it need doing?
    Yes.
    Then it will be done.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Since it's now basically confirmed that the farm is getting blown up, I do wonder if similar to how Jon as Superman and Superman & The Authority are manifesting from the Bleeding Cool rumors, so to will the idea that Jon sets up his Fortress in Smallville?

I've been noticing that Lois and Clark's apartment has been getting less and less play since Bendis took over. I've also noticed that Clark has called the Fortress his home more often too. And now in PKJ's run Clark continues that, and Jon calls it that too.

So with the show being set on the Kent farm, and both that and the Fortress being more iconic than the fairly nebulous Lois/Clark home, maybe the idea is to just mix the two and make it the family home? A Fortress version of the Kent farm set up by Jon to protect his family.

But he'll likely also have his college dorm if his identity holds even after The Truth exposes him.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    Since it's now basically confirmed that the farm is getting blown up, I do wonder if similar to how Jon as Superman and Superman & The Authority are manifesting from the Bleeding Cool rumors, so to will the idea that Jon sets up his Fortress in Smallville?

I've been noticing that Lois and Clark's apartment has been getting less and less play since Bendis took over. I've also noticed that Clark has called the Fortress his home more often too. And now in PKJ's run Clark continues that, and Jon calls it that too.

So with the show being set on the Kent farm, and both that and the Fortress being more iconic than the fairly nebulous Lois/Clark home, maybe the idea is to just mix the two and make it the family home? A Fortress version of the Kent farm set up by Jon to protect his family.

But he'll likely also have his college dorm if his identity holds even after The Truth exposes him.
    Makes sense

The apartment simply isn’t as iconic as the Smallville farm or even Hamilton county...let alone the fortress of solitude

Incredible Member

The apartment and Metropolis in general simply have a lot less personality these days than Smallville, Hamilton or the Fortress of Solitude. By which I mean it has no personality, at all.

I don't get why the critics rated it that high i mean it wasn't bad but like it really wasn't that good aswel it was just solid ya know, that's a lil weird.