Page 17 of 208 FirstFirst ... 71314151617181920212767117 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    I can see New Coke, I mean Jon having this series for a year or two and then DC hyping the return of Clark as Superman.
    I'd say that's a (very) safe bet.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Quote Originally Posted by manofsteel1979 View Post
    I actually think you are on to something with the New 52 comparison in the sense of wanting to have their cake and eat it too. It's clear from the asthetic of Jon's costume looking an awful lot like ol Nuperman's suit to him being a "cooler" alternative to the traditional Superman that Warners/DC hasn't let go of that ideal being their preferred Superman,they just found a work around of sorts.

As an aside...its interesting that nearly everyone admittintly including myself assumed that New 52 Superman and all of that was pretty much mostly Dan DiDio ,as was the idea of swapping Clark for Jon and yet he's gone from the company and we are still seeing Jon as Superman in the modern DCU basically being Nuperman reborn. Makes one wonder about the last decade or so in regards to DC. The New 52 and specifically the Superman we got out of it maybe wasn't as much DiDio but Warners wanting a cooler and hipper character to tie to the iconography of that ever present and marketable "S" .
    Some of it may be WB, but the question that raises in my mind if it’s them is “why are they doing this with Jon rather than waiting for the Abrams reboot and then creating a Superman off of that?” since I’m sure they’ll want some synergy with whatever Abrams decides to do. And DC, like Marvel with the Peter-MJ marriage, has pretty much wanted to deage Clark and get rid of the marriage from the moment they agreed to do it, so I don’t think it’s just one person, I think overwhelmingly the higher ups at the Big 2 just don’t like marriages because married people aren’t “cool”. I remember an anecdote that RDJ wanted Tony & Pepper to get married in IM2, and Marvel didn’t want that because “Iron Man is cool, Iron Dad is not”. It’s just an industry attitude as a whole.

But the situation at DC is going in a pretty crazy direction. Wally is Flash again, Jon will be Superman, there may be two Batmen one of whom is black, we seem to be on course for a DCU that’s widely different from what was the norm. I do wonder why Jon and not Kon though, why was it so important for Jon specifically to take up the role when even Damian doesn’t seem primed to be Batman any time soon.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Some of it may be WB, but the question that raises in my mind if it’s them is “why are they doing this with Jon rather than waiting for the Abrams reboot and then creating a Superman off of that?” since I’m sure they’ll want some synergy with whatever Abrams decides to do. And DC, like Marvel with the Peter-MJ marriage, has pretty much wanted to deage Clark and get rid of the marriage from the moment they agreed to do it, so I don’t think it’s just one person, I think overwhelmingly the higher ups at the Big 2 just don’t like marriages because married people aren’t “cool”. I remember an anecdote that RDJ wanted Tony & Pepper to get married in IM2, and Marvel didn’t want that because “Iron Man is cool, Iron Dad is not”. It’s just an industry attitude as a whole.

But the situation at DC is going in a pretty crazy direction. Wally is Flash again, Jon will be Superman, there may be two Batmen one of whom is black, we seem to be on course for a DCU thatÂ’s widely different from what was the norm. I do wonder why Jon and not Kon though, why was it so important for Jon specifically to take up the role when even Damian doesnÂ’t seem primed to be Batman any time soon.
    With Damian, you've got a line of people who are ready to take up the Bat mantle when DC decides to do a replacement for a year or two. Damian can take his sweet time reaching Bat-dom because there's viable alternatives DC can use in the meantime. Plus, the kid's thirteen; nobody's buying him as Batman.

But if you want a replacement Superman, your obvious options are basically Conner or Jon. And DC has treated Jon as *the* heir apparent since his debut. And that's fair. Hell, it's better for Conner that he doesn't have that future hanging over his head.

Anyway, this thread's moving too quick for me to keep up with but some of y'all have called out us sourpusses who're all doom and gloom over this. And you know what? You got a point. Some of us (me at least) might be taking our outrage a little farther than is strictly necessary. We *are* getting Morrison on that SuperAuthority joint. Grant Mother F**king Morrison's coming home, and I don't think we've ever seen this kind of Superman from him before. In this, we are the most spoiled kids at DC. And we got Red/Blue, which seems like a hell of a thing so far.

But those are miniseries. Yes, we're getting "extra" Clark content right now, but in just a few months Clark will have his offerings cut in half. Jon was already taking up too much page time for my tastes and now he's taking the whole f*cking book. Forgive me for being sick and tired of watching Superman be stripped down for other characters. I know us Super fans have it way better than most, so I'm an entitled jerk to complain (poor Aquaman) but I'm tired of this dismantling, and DC trying to fix a character that isn't broken in any eyes except their's.

Maybe there's new book/s in the pipe that I'm unaware of. If Clark gets another ongoing to balance things out, cool, I got no problem. And I do like Taylor and would be curious about a Superman Secondus title. But otherwise I'm potentially losing 50% of my Clark fix; I got no reason to be excited about that, even if Son of Kal-El *is* a good read.
    Last edited by Ascended; 04-22-2021 at 07:16 PM.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Robert Venditti is doing that Superman ‘78 series that looks like it will star “classic status quo” Superman. He won’t be married to Lois, his identity will still be secret, and it will feature lots of classic Rogues. It’s not ideal I know but hey, it’s something. And there’s hints that something with Mark Waid may be coming, it sounds like he’s negotiating with DC to do a “Year 2” book set in the Birthrightverse. That will also assuredly be for classic fans such as you and I.
    Quote Originally Posted by protege View Post
    I’m kinds of hoping Superman and the authority becomes a regular series.
    Hah I’d love it but there’s no way Morrison is sticking around long term. I don’t even know how DC convinced them to do this in the first place. And since it seems to be tying into whatever PKJ’s plans are, if anyone will be doing a follow up it will be PKJ.
    Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    I can see New Coke, I mean Jon having this series for a year or two and then DC hyping the return of Clark as Superman.
    See I don’t think you’re that far off. There’s a reason they’re launching a new series with a different title for Jon that isn’t just Superman. I think there is a chance the “regular” book could come back although whether it would star Clark I don’t know. It’s possible though.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

I'll believe the Waid rumors when there's an official announcement with a release date.

I did forget about 78 though, that might be fun. Is that an ongoing?

Well, I've been saying I'll take a self contained type of thing over the shared continuity so, okay, fair's fair I guess. If Superman 78 is an ongoing I got no room to bitch.

Oh, and SuperAuthority "could" end up a monthly, relaunched after the mini with a different writer. Not that I'd bet on it, but it's happened in the past with stuff like Azreal and Hawkworld.

And no, I doubt this SuperJr thing will last. I doubt it's intended to. Which kinda makes it worse in a way, if we're losing time and focus on Clark just as we're getting into this new, open-ID-cosmic-United Planets-senator Kent stuff, just for a....temporary tangent.
    Last edited by Ascended; 04-22-2021 at 07:39 PM.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

See I don’t think you’re that far off. There’s a reason they’re launching a new series with a different title for Jon that isn’t just Superman. I think there is a chance the “regular” book could come back although whether it would star Clark I don’t know. It’s possible though.
    I definitely don't see Jon lasting like I see The Next Batman or Yara Flor lasting, but I can't agree with your reasoning. If Jon took over the main Superman title with no addendum, that's what signals that he's not meant to last. Permanent characters like Miles Morales get book titles that denote them from the OGs, temporary characters like Azrael, Jim Gordon, and Dick Grayson don't.

I believe Superman ‘78 is an ongoing yep.
    So books that will star Clark Kent as Superman:
    Action
    Superman & The Authority
    Red & Blue
    Justice League
    Justice League: The Last Ride (Chip Zdarsky Elseworld JL story)
    Justice League Infinity (DCAU comic continuation)
    And there may be more books that spin out of whatever PKJ’s Sept Superevent is.

Yeah Waid’s still not a sure thing, but he did seem pretty confident in saying discussions were going well, and that maybe in six months we’d know if he’s doing it or not. If he doesn’t get a book I hope they’re at least talking to other people. That S&L:Ignition pitch absolutely needs to get made at some point because it sounds amazing.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Even if clark returns and this fails. they will do something else.Otherwise they would'nt be trying anyways.It's that simple.You guy can say this is going to fail and all that.But,selling a messiah is hard work.Superman is that.Nothing more or less.
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"

Quote Originally Posted by Superboy-Prime View Post
    I definitely don't see Jon lasting like I see The Next Batman or Yara Flor lasting, but I can't agree with your reasoning. If Jon took over the main Superman title with no addendum, that's what signals that he's not meant to last. Permanent characters like Miles Morales get book titles that denote them from the OGs, temporary characters like Azrael, Jim Gordon, and Dick Grayson don't.
    Wally West. Kyle Raynor. Both took over the main titles for decades, and there was no intent to revert for decades until sales slipped. Also I doubt Yara is intended to be a temporary character with her taking over the Wonder Girl title book.

Wally West. Kyle Raynor. Both took over the main titles for decades, and there was no intent to revert for decades until sales slipped. Also I doubt Yara is intended to be a temporary character with her taking over the Wonder Girl title book.
    While true, those two are special cases. Barry and Hal were themselves legacy characters, and Wonder Girl has never had an ongoing before, just a six issue mini in 2007. When it comes to Batman, Spider-Man, and characters like those, using the main title with no addendum is a sign of it being temporary.

While true, those two are special cases. Barry and Hal were themselves legacy characters, and Wonder Girl has never had an ongoing before, just a six issue mini in 2007. When it comes to Batman, Spider-Man, and characters like those, using the main title with no addendum is a sign of it being temporary.
    Dick Grayson Batman under Morrison had Batman & Robin as the “main” book though. AzzBats and GordonBats going in were never meant to be anything but temp. I don’t think that’s the intent with Jon, they’re just hedging their bets imo. If he flops they can launch a new Superman #1 with Clark.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

The entire justice league is legacy.The Silverage superman,batman,ww..etc include.They aren't the same characters are precomicscode goldenage counter parts.
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"

I was wondering how it was going to take for him to get a solo. Saw it coming a mile away.

I'm not really interested in older Jon but I liked whatever I did read from the DC dead stuff (blanking on the name). I'll check out the first few issues.
    Last edited by 9th.; 04-22-2021 at 08:33 PM.
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

Dick Grayson Batman under Morrison had Batman & Robin as the “main” book though. AzzBats and GordonBats going in were never meant to be anything but temp. I don’t think that’s the intent with Jon, they’re just hedging their bets imo. If he flops they can launch a new Superman #1 with Clark.
    Well, yeah, but Dick had Batman and Detective Comics as well.

Fantastic Member oneveryfineday's Avatar

I like the Future State suit, but I’d like to see something new too.