Page 39 of 208 FirstFirst ... 293536373839404142434989139 ... LastLast
    Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Chiming in to show my support of the cape.

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    Yeah! many guys/gals/others here are hung up on a kid character that lasted 2 years as well.What's your point?
    edit-it doesn't take a billion to make you like something.it doesn't take 2 years to tell story either.
    The character from Rebirth and the character Bendis introduced, other than sharing the same name, have had practically nothing in common. That's our point.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    The character from Rebirth and the character Bendis introduced, other than sharing the same name, have had practically nothing in common. That's our point.
    Then the character you read as superman and The superman have nothing in common.Therefore shouldn't be called Superman.Since it's being done."Superman wears cape" is moot point.No he doesn't.Jon kent doesn't need to anyways.Capes are overrated.
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"

Quote Originally Posted by Nelliebly View Post
    And it might mean something ::different:: in the future because ideas and ideals evolve.

But, I mean, by your own logic, Kara Danvers as played by the lovely Melissa Benoist as seen in your profile pic shouldn’t have been allowed to be named “Supergirl” by Cat Grant.

She’s Superman’s cousin, she performed one heroic public act (saving the plane) and she is blood related to Kal.

The “Super” mantle meant something already because Superman was an active hero when she debuted.

By your own (deeply flawed) logic then, Kara Danvers didn’t “earn” the right to be called Supergirl. The Super moniker “meant something” when she debuted and it shouldn’t have been bestowed upon her just because she was from the House of El and performed one heroic act. She should be stripped of the title. She can wear her family crest but shouldn’t be allowed to be called Supergirl. That’s nepotism. They should rename the show.

Seems pretty unfair to me but, hey, I didn’t make the rules. You did.
    Kara actually wanted to be called Superwoman. Cat thought Supergirl was more marketable. Did Clark or Kara get their codenames due to journalists in the comics as well?

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Yeah Yoda has his finger on the pulse I think. I mean it’s not just Clark, take a look around the DCU
    -Barry replaced by Wally (I expect Barry to be on the inevitable Justice Incarnate book)
    -New Swamp Thing is of Indian heritage
    -Ted and Jaime may be getting books
    -Jackson Hyde was the Aquaman of FS and Andy Curry is in the main universe
    -Black Adam on the JL, Billy with the Teen Titans
    -Khalid replacing Kent Nelson as Fate
    -There are still plans for Jace Fox in the mainline, I think Ridley is writing a Next Batman mini about Jace being Batman after he finishes his origin mini
    It’s all about building up franchises with multiple members of a “family” unit now.
    Ted IS getting a book, called Blue and Gold (as in Blue Beetle and Booster Gold).

Main universe Andy is just a baby. Only way she'll be Aqualass, let alone Aquawoman, any time soon is time travel or a sudden age-up like Jon's.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I mean, to a certain extent, because Marvel did walk back on a lot of the ANAD mantle changes.

I guess they could always walk back from walking back for movie synergy since those characters will be popping up in the MCU, but still.
    They did give Totally Awesome Hulk a new name, Brawn, and Jane Foster became Valkyrie. But Laura is still Wolverine (her reverting to X-23 was just for a specific mission), Hawkeye and Spider-Man have been shared for years, and Nova is now as well now that Rich Rider is back (though that one is similar to the multiple Green Lanterns at DC). Ms. Marvel was actually vacant when Kamala took it because Carol had taken Mar-Vell's Captain Marvel codename, so that one's safe. And they actually seem to have given Sam Wilson the Captain America mantle back, if you look at solicits for United States of Captain America, a mini which stars all three Caps (Steve, Sam and Bucky).

Quote Originally Posted by Kara Danvers View Post
    Kenan wasn't Superman's successor and DC has forgotten about him now. I'm not going to complain about character that isn't relevant anymore.
    Forgotten? Did you not know about the Asian heroes special due out shortly? Kenan's in it.

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    Well somethings confusing here, apparently due to the the solicitations for July Jon’s Superman debut is $3.99 but on the announcement cover it says $4.99 which I guess is the Timms variant that is $4.99?
    $4.99 is correct - it continues the Tales of Metropolis backup story from the current Superman book, as confirmed by DC Connect.

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    That's a racebend.right?the race kara herself is changed?They could do that with clark.They would have to change the hiding behind the glasses thing though.Cause that ain't possible.
    They didn't actually reveal movie Supergirl's secret identity - she might not even be Kara Zor-El.

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    I think Taylor exploring more of the off camera Legion stuff is a better use of his and our time over the Earth-3 stuff. Like, is Jon still an active member? Are he and Saturn Girl still dating? How're they keeping that going? And maybe it's time he really grew up, moved on, and put both feet in his time and Earth?
    Didn't Clark destroy his time sphere in Death Metal, thus stranding Jon? Imra's probably coming back to find out why he didn't go back to the future. Jon will explain that he knows Clark's supposed to go away soon, so he wants to stay with him. And that will probably be the end of his time as a Legionnaire.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue22 View Post
    You...uh...Don't need trunks to be Superboy. Hell, you don't even need them to be Superman. All you need is the title. Which he has. And he wasn't even the first one to inherit it from Clark. It's been almost 30 years since Clark was the only "Superboy"
    Conner didn't wear trunks either, lol.

I doubt Clark will be depowered to Future State levels (but enough to leave things in question if he can make the big plays you need from a Superman), but I think the stronger reasoning for him leaving the JL is the fact that he'll be off world and that's why Jon will take over. Bendis' Justice League is intended to reflect the current day DC stuff (unlike Batman/Superman which can both take place at any point before all this, and can take place on any Earth), so I don't see why that change won't be reflected come fall this year.

Jon joining the JL before he's ready is probably the point because that's similarly the point of him being Superman. He's ready for neither thing, but he's the guy for the job. It also lines up with the long held speculation that Bendis isn't done with Jon. And with Legion eventually coming back (likely after Sook is done Blue and Gold) Jon is the bridge between those two books that Bendis will *clearly* crossover.

In fact, I'm betting that since Legion is in a similar situation to Naomi, once Jon joins he'll continue some of Legion's story in JL like he did Naomi.
    At least he wouldn't be the only rookie on the team, thanks to Naomi. I wonder if she'd compare him to Conner, who was on Young Justice with her?

It is strange, but similar to Second Son, I'm under the assumption that it's more so a holding pattern than the point of her. My guess is that like Jace, a little later this year or the next she'll make the jump to Wonder Woman.
    If that happens, where does that leave Cassie Sandsmark? Isn't Yara younger than her? Doesn't make sense for a Wonder Girl to be older than a Wonder Woman.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Astonishing Member The Frog Bros's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by oneveryfineday View Post
    Heh, I wonder if that little blurb of “It’s not so much of a passing of the cape as it is growing the family business” was intentional. I think that’s a solid direction for the franchise and should alleviate some people’s fears of Clark being replaced.

Timms’ art looks lovely here, and I like the contrast of the mundane with the cosmic with the image of a teenager in his hoodie and jeans sitting on the moon. Ditto with everyone else on preferring the capeless look for Jon. Design-wise, I think the Supers should have their own unique silhouette to differentiate them, and the sleek look can be Jon’s thing.
    Agreed, Jon sans cape definitely helps the differentiation with Clark and maintaining that sleek look. Hope they keep that "messy" hair look too.

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    At least he wouldn't be the only rookie on the team, thanks to Naomi. I wonder if she'd compare him to Conner, who was on Young Justice with her?

If that happens, where does that leave Cassie Sandsmark? Isn't Yara younger than her? Doesn't make sense for a Wonder Girl to be older than a Wonder Woman.
    So how old is Yara actually supposed to be? Is she supposed to be pre-teen, or late teen closer to Jon?
    “Look, you can’t put the Superman #77s with the #200s. They haven’t even discovered Red Kryptonite yet. And you can’t put the #98s with the #300s, Lori Lemaris hasn’t even been introduced.” — Sam
    “Where the hell are you from? Krypton?” — Edgar Frog

Quote Originally Posted by The Frog Bros View Post
    Agreed, Jon sans cape definitely helps the differentiation with Clark and maintaining that sleek look. Hope they keep that "messy" hair look too.

So how old is Yara actually supposed to be? Is she supposed to be pre-teen, or late teen closer to Jon?
    I assume that Yara is about Jon’s current age? In infinite frontier she looked in that 16 to 18 range.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Astonishing Member OopsIdiditagain's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Frog Bros View Post

Pretty sure she's 15/16. Cassie should a late teen/young adult.
    december 21st has passed where are my superpowers?

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Didn't Clark destroy his time sphere in Death Metal, thus stranding Jon? Imra's probably coming back to find out why he didn't go back to the future. Jon will explain that he knows Clark's supposed to go away soon, so he wants to stay with him. And that will probably be the end of his time as a Legionnaire.
    That was a writing error on Waid's part. No one in this incarnation of the Legion uses a time sphere to time travel. So whatever Clark destroyed it wasn't Jon's way into the future and back.

Plus, PKJ just confirmed that while Jon is currently being written as being done with his Legion adventures, the door is still open for more or going back and seeing the adventures he did have.

And apparently Taylor will be directly dealing with Jon and Saturn Girl in his run, but PKJ didn't go into how.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hypo View Post
    I like the cape on Jon a lot, especially with his swimmer's body type. The contrast is so nice.

It also works really well with the "taking the throne" idea. There needs to be some sense of regality to the look in order to communicate that sense of power and privilege that will be central to his plot.

Still a tiny bit worried about what the boots will look like though. I really, really, REALY wouldn't mind if Taylor request Jon get his DCesed wrestler boots. That was the only part of that design I was truly charmed by. And it was a nice (intentional or not) callback to the very first son of Superman named Jon Kent in the book Son of Superman.
    Last edited by Superlad93; 04-29-2021 at 06:57 AM.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

So basically this look but Smaller is what we are all thinking

"It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Does anyone else feel like this is literally the one status quo from Infinite Frontier that won't last?

What are other Infinite Frontier status quo? That Alan is gay?

Quote Originally Posted by Superboy-Prime View Post
    Does anyone else feel like this is literally the one status quo from Infinite Frontier that won't last?
    With enough hard work, we can make that a reality.

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    What are other Infinite Frontier status quo? That Alan is gay?
    Yara Flor, the Next Batman, Titans Academy (I dunno about this one).

Quote Originally Posted by garazza View Post
    With enough hard work, we can make that a reality.
    You mean like Nintendo Wii?

Quote Originally Posted by Superboy-Prime View Post
    Well we just have to support it, nothing is definite in comics but I’d like to at least try to support something new and see where it goes. Maybe Jon being a young Superman and Clark as an older experienced Superman will be an amazing thing, we just have to wait and see.
    Words to live by.