Page 15 of 208 FirstFirst ... 51112131415161718192565115 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by exile001 View Post
    You assume he has the pull to choose, these may just have been the gigs he was offered and that interested him creatively. As you say, he worked on GL. Maybe you're seeing a pattern that doesn't really exist (or maybe I'm wrong, who knows?).
    Maybe, but I find it hard to believe the guy they treat as their golden boy hasn’t been offered anything but Batbooks. We’ll see how he does with Jon but that he’s already hyping up a crossover with Batcharacters on Twitter isn’t exactly reassuring me.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

In fairness, Jon and Damian are connected narratively at the hip for the most part. So launching a Jon book that Damian will appear in is kind of assumed. I mean, PJK is also teasing a Super Son's reunion in his book. While I don't want constant Bat guest stars, but Superman and Batman have crossed over for like 70 years at this point. It is kind of baked in.

Concerns about copyright are way way overblown and really I'd be shocked that they have any sort of influence on how they are using Jon here. For one, even when Superman and Action Comics enter public domain, no one will ever be able to market those books with the S-Shield or "Superman" or "Action Comics" because those are all trademarked and trademarks don't expire. Unlike say, Sherlock Holmes, the trade dress that separates Superman from Superman analogues that have existed for decades isn't going to be public domain. No one trademarked Sherlock's hat. Robin Hood doesn't have an emblem that's more recognized than virtually any symbol in the world.

I agree Yoda but that’s what Taylor needs to change with this book. Williamson made a point when he was announced to be on Robin of saying that he wants to build up Damian outside of the Batfamily, and while yes, he does intend to have Damian interact with other Batfamily members, he wants Damian to have stuff that’s his. So he’s starting off by isolating Damian from his dad and the others so he can focus solely on him. Taylor should be taking the same approach. Who is Jon outside of being Clark & Lois’ son and Damian’s best friend? He hasn’t been built up as a solo character and even most of the complaints about his age up have related to what it took from Clark & Damian rather than Jon himself. If DC wants him to be Superman they need to put in the work of building him a corner of his own and I’m skeptical of Taylor’s ability or even desire to do that.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    I agree Yoda but that’s what Taylor needs to change with this book. Williamson made a point when he was announced to be on Robin of saying that he wants to build up Damian outside of the Batfamily, and while yes, he does intend to have Damian interact with other Batfamily members, he wants Damian to have stuff that’s his. So he’s starting off by isolating Damian from his dad and the others so he can focus solely on him. Taylor should be taking the same approach. Who is Jon outside of being Clark & Lois’ son and Damian’s best friend? He hasn’t been built up as a solo character and even most of the complaints about his age up have related to what it took from Clark & Damian rather than Jon himself. If DC wants him to be Superman they need to put in the work of building him a corner of his own and I’m skeptical of Taylor’s ability or even desire to do that.
    I do get that. I think there does have to be a balance between that type of stuff. I sort of view a lot of characters and properties as the sum of their parts, it's one of the reasons I lose a lot of interest in Superman that is unconnected from the "classic" status quo. There's room for variation obviously, and I'm not a complete purist in that regard, but my real enjoyment of the character and stories peaks when all those elements are hitting things. So I can understand a desire to hit some of those notes out the door - kind of addressing the elephant in the room first, so he can build off of it and with it. I think in large part a lot of it may be to show that this Jon is in many ways the same Jon that people liked as a 10 year old. And then building off it.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Marvel Man View Post
    Because there will be no more comics with Clark Kent as Superman, nor films, videogames, books or toys. Nothing. They will even change the classical comics and films in order to make Clark dissappeared. "Who is Clark, anyway? He is Jon's dad. A Kryptonian. It's said that he was a hero but if I read my digital copy of Action Comics #1 it clearly says that Superman is Jon Kent, not Clark". It's the end of the world as we know it.
    for 2 years the superverse revolves around Jon, who will be the future superman, who will be so good that they will remember him as the real superman. while clark in the movies is already changing him, in video games he is a villain and tv is secondary to supergirl.
    Jon=superman
    Clark=superman's father

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    I said something to that effect last week in the Controversial thread. It's something I've long thought so I probably said it a few years ago and forgot!
    Idk about the controversial thread. But I do remember it you writting it a couple of years ago and it stuck to me because you are right. We really are...but can you blame us?

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    I do get that. I think there does have to be a balance between that type of stuff. I think in large part a lot of it may be to show that this Jon is in many ways the same Jon that people liked as a 10 year old. And then building off it.
    I think that's basically it right here.

This may sound strange, but I'm basically going to take nearly everything PKJ has said about Jon directly and assume it's more or less coming from Taylor because PKJ's only writing Jon for like 5 issues, so it's pretty safe to assume that he's going off what Taylor needs/is planning.

So keeping that in mind, PKJ has been saying that while Jon shares his dad's inherent goodness, he's sloppier, more outgoing/extraverted, and gregarious. He also made a point to stress that what worked about Jon as the same fun loving and sweet kid is still here, and that extends to his friendship with Damian.

But in addition to that, PKJ has also said that Jon doesn't actually want to be Superman because of the pressure/expectation and because it means his dad will be gone in some way. And he's also adds that Jon is someone that doesn't truly feel at home anywhere because of his really specific life, so that's on his mind.

Given the fact that PKJ will only have 5 issues in total to explore Jon (29/1029-32) before Son of Kal-El#1 and Taylor, it feels accurate to say that it's all set-up. So there's certainly an eye for the new and old in Taylor's forthcoming run based off that.

And that's not even getting into how Jon's powers are going to make him a "major player in the DCU" will be expressed in Taylor's run.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Taylor and Williamson are talking on Twitter DM about the possibility of Superman Son of Kal-El, Robin, and Nightwing crossover

On a more positive note he is also saying that Lois will have a role in this book. Hopefully not as a furniture.

Quote Originally Posted by exile001 View Post
    Possibly for the current stories, but there is no way Clark will ever be gone and/or not be Superman for good (or over a year). This is the company that resurrected Barry Allen after 20 years being dead and Clark as Superman is a far more profitable IP.
    I also be on this. There is no so much room to character developments for "the son of" when the original tale has such a big impact.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Quote Originally Posted by Prime View Post
    Idk about the controversial thread. But I do remember it you writting it a couple of years ago and it stuck to me because you are right. We really are...but can you blame us?
    As someone who enjoyed quite a few of the Superman comics of the 2010s, I still think that decade was the worst one Superman has ever had. So I don’t think we’re too unjustified in being sourpusses
    Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    I think that's basically it right here.

This may sound strange, but I'm basically going to take nearly everything PKJ has said about Jon directly and assume it's more or less coming from Taylor because PKJ's only writing Jon for like 5 issues, so it's pretty safe to assume that he's going off what Taylor needs/is planning.

So keeping that in mind, PKJ has been saying that while Jon shares his dad's inherent goodness, he's sloppier, more outgoing/extraverted, and gregarious. He also made a point to stress that what worked about Jon as the same fun loving and sweet kid is still here, and that extends to his friendship with Damian.

But in addition to that, PKJ has also said that Jon doesn't actually want to be Superman because of the pressure/expectation and because it means his dad will be gone in some way. And he's also adds that Jon is someone that doesn't truly feel at home anywhere because of his really specific life, so that's on his mind.

Given the fact that PKJ will only have 5 issues in total to explore Jon (29/1029-32) before Son of Kal-El#1 and Taylor, it feels accurate to say that it's all set-up. So there's certainly an eye for the new and old in Taylor's forthcoming run based off that.

And that's not even getting into how Jon's powers are going to make him a "major player in the DCU" will be expressed in Taylor's run.
    I hope you’re right, we know PKJ and Taylor have talked for a long time prior to this announcement straight from the men themselves, so I hope that a lot of those ideas PKJ talked about are ones Taylor shares. Really need Taylor to do an interview or something where he actually talks about his plans so we’re not just guessing. I want to know what his long term vision for this character and book are.
    Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    On a more positive note he is also saying that Lois will have a role in this book. Hopefully not as a furniture.
    Good, I’m glad. The Lois-Jon relationship hasn’t been fleshed out at all really. She and Jon were portrayed as close during Lois & Clark, but since then it’s been all about Jon and Clark. I want to know how Lois feels about Jon stepping up in his father’s absence.

Part of it I suppose is the franchises he chooses to work with but everything he’s done at DC has featured Batman showing up in some capacity. Injustice, DCeased, Suicide Squad, Batman/Superman, various stories in Batman Annuals and one-shots, about the only thing of his where Batman didn’t show up was his brief (and terrible) GL run. He’s already said he’s bringing in Damian, a Bat character, and I expect to see more of that.
    You can't fault the guy for having Batman on his Batman related books.

Injustice and DCeased were about alternate universes, with Batman, of course, but with Superman and Wonder Woman also.

Suicide Squad had a appearence of Batman, yes, but Superman also appears in issue 9.

And about Damian, he is Jon's best friend, so is given that he'll pop up soon or later.
    DC: Dick Grayson, Wally West, Donna Troy, Yara Flor, Titans

Some of my favorite Mangas: One Piece, Slam Dunk, Fullmetal Alchemist, HunterXHunter, Vinland Saga, Monster, Berserk, Vagabond.
    Current reading: Jujutsu Kaisen, Chainsaw Man, Spy X Family, Kaiju Nº8, Blue Lock, Dandadan.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Can I trouble you for a link?

I hope you’re right, we know PKJ and Taylor have talked for a long time prior to this announcement straight from the men themselves, so I hope that a lot of those ideas PKJ talked about are ones Taylor shares. Really need Taylor to do an interview or something where he actually talks about his plans so we’re not just guessing. I want to know what his long term vision for this character and book are.
    I have to imagine it's all been in service of Taylor's run. This change over didn't happen over night. PKJ's been saying that he's not going to be on both books since the start, and he's been saying that the plans for Jon are and have always been beyond just him. So I'd say it's a safe bet to assume PKJ's words are a teaser for Taylor's run rather than *just* what he feels about the character.

While I assume you're not reading Nightwing since it's Taylor, it's worth noting that the main thrust of that book is not at all dissimilar to what's being set up for Jon. Similar to Jon, Dick is now functionally more "powerful" than Bruce because Bruce lost a LOT of money, and now Dick is a Big B Billionaire. That's similar to how Clark is being physically depowered while Jon is growing more powerful than Clark ever was. What will be interesting is if we see Jon also follow in line with Dick in how he's doing things differently from Bruce. In issue two Dick says that he's always felt Batman could've done more as Bruce.

Both runs seem to have similar themes of two young guys who have inherited ridiculous amounts of power, but they don't actually want it, and they don't know what to do with it to be helpful while still remaining themselves.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Taylor's biggest problem with his Batman is that his Batman sucks. If he's gonna appear at all, least make him interesting and unlike with his poor writing of Supes and Wondy in Injustice, he couldn't hide behind "well, it's an alternate universe..." with Bats there.

BANNED

LOL. It’s not funny but this made me laugh.