Page 58 of 208 FirstFirst ... 84854555657585960616268108158 ... LastLast

Yeah I was mostly messing around anyway
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Fantastic Member oneveryfineday's Avatar

Well, Clark actually does die on Warworld Future State…multiple times…and also gets resurrected to fight some more…so there’s that

But yeah, Clark’s death is meant to be a symbolic one rather than a literal one (despite literal death). There’s a lot of death imagery in the FS Worlds of War books. The Necropolis also foreshadowed in Action gives me underworld of the dead vibes, which is really fucking cool for a Superman story.

The Necropolis is interesting because I’ve been assuming that’s tied up with the Phantom Zone and Aethyr. Not sure how that connects with what’s going down on Warworld just yet.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Jax City/Kill The FIremen

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    I think the superman ip and superman the concept/the character is more important than jon or clark..So,they are shaking things up..small victories at a time.

I don't like jon because of the characters age.The books were fun,wierd and over the top..
    What? That's outrageous. Clark Kent/Kal-El (L) is Superman. You cannot have the character without him, he's how the stories work. Anybody else is just a knock-off.

Jax City/Kill The FIremen

I read a comment on here about ideas you cannot do with Clark such as Clark in college as Superman. I disagree with that. I'd read that book and so will everyone else here will. I'm sure there have been many different writers who pitched ideas for Superman that's been rejected. There's no such thing with what Clark can't do as Superman and what Jon can do what his father can't.

That being said, I hope for the success of Jon. I just don't want him being Clark Kent 2.0 or re-using ideas that was meant for his father. I do want to see Jon expand on Superman's world in his own way that's uniquely Jon.
    Personally, I'd rather see Jon go down the Gohan route. The DC Universe is a big place, there's lots of room for non-costume stories.
    Last edited by DABellWrites; 07-25-2021 at 04:40 PM.

I'd say there are stories that are easier to do with Jon rather than there are stories you can't do with Clark.

It’s not that you can’t, it’s that people get upset when Clark doesn’t conform to the Byrne model. When he doesn’t just go “I must not interfere”, when he’s more skeptical about peoples ability to get their stuff together, when he has a bit of edge to him like in his early issues, people freak out. They take it as a sign that he’s about to become evillll because that’s usually how those stories go, or they reject it as being out of character for him. I mean for God’s sake, DC wouldn’t even let him drink ALCOHOL as a grown ass married man once upon a time. There’s just some hard limits, not inherent to his character, but applied onto him because of his pop culture image and peoples own perceptions of who he should be.

Jon doesn’t have that. He doesn’t have a set LI he has to end up with, or a personality he must adhere to, or an operating method, he can do something as simple as casually curse in a way that Clark just can’t (remember that store owner who freaked out because he though Clark said “goddamn”?) There’s no real preconceptions aside from the most basic, he wears the S-shield, he helps people, he’s optimistic and idealistic.
    Last edited by Vordan; 07-25-2021 at 07:27 PM.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Incredible Member

There's also the fact that, as a few posters in this board have pointed out, the very status quo he'll have in this run is something that absolutely couldn't be done with Clark. He'll be teenage Superman in college with a public identity. That is absolutely something that wouldn't be done with Clark because it would make his classic status quo (Superman masquerading as mild-mannered reporter Clark Kent) impossible.

That said, I do have my doubts of how much longevity Jon as Superman has with his announced status quo. It's a great update to the classic status quo, but as soon as that "edge" is lost, as soon as the stories pull back from clashing with the powerful and dealing with global warming because editorial wants to change his image or it's too controversial or they've told the story and don't want to be repetitive or whatever reason... well, he goes from modernized Clark to just Clark-lite, and thus redundant.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DABellWrites View Post
    What? That's outrageous. Clark Kent/Kal-El (L) is Superman. You cannot have the character without him, he's how the stories work. Anybody else is just a knock-off.
    Which one?there are many.The knockoff argument is stupid.. Then there is only one superman-the original one .also,ip had been about clark kent/kal el for the longest time.Superman was just a thing to be done.It wasn't treated as titular identity.So saying "clark/kal is superman" when the guy doesn't do cool **** a superman does,makes no sense.Heck!a superman is not defined,while clark and kal well fleshed out.i would appreciate something that centers around superman for while.
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"

Quote Originally Posted by Quinlan58 View Post
    There's also the fact that, as a few posters in this board have pointed out, the very status quo he'll have in this run is something that absolutely couldn't be done with Clark. He'll be teenage Superman in college with a public identity. That is absolutely something that wouldn't be done with Clark because it would make his classic status quo (Superman masquerading as mild-mannered reporter Clark Kent) impossible.

That said, I do have my doubts of how much longevity Jon as Superman has with his announced status quo. It's a great update to the classic status quo, but as soon as that "edge" is lost, as soon as the stories pull back from clashing with the powerful and dealing with global warming because editorial wants to change his image or it's too controversial or they've told the story and don't want to be repetitive or whatever reason... well, he goes from modernized Clark to just Clark-lite, and thus redundant.
    The overall DCU status quo that Williamson is guiding right now will be key to just how much longevity Jon has, on that much I agree. It’s going to be weird if he’s paling around with Bruce Batman for example, so the other franchise are going to need long term shake ups as well. However as of right now, that’s precisely what’s happening. Wally is Flash, Jo is the only “proper” GL (along with Hal), Jace Fox is being set up to be Batman alongside Bruce, I expect Yara will become a WW in her own right at some point, Kaldur is becoming Aquaman, etc. There’s a big shift across the board that’s happening.

https://www.cbr.com/superman-jon-kent-new-costume/

I wonder how it will be? Something like the seen in Future State? Something different? And why change it so soon?
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-Ul View Post
    https://www.cbr.com/superman-jon-kent-new-costume/

I wonder how it will be? Something like the seen in Future State? Something different? And why change it so soon?
    Something new I reckon although I’m sure elements of the Future State suit will probably be incorporated.

I have certain theories about what will be showing in issue one. But I will wait until that be published.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

BANNED

I am certain that Jon as Superman won’t last more than 3-5 years

But I am entirely certain that his run will be successful enough to solidify his existence along with the success of Superman and Lois

Quote Originally Posted by DABellWrites View Post
    I read a comment on here about ideas you cannot do with Clark such as Clark in college as Superman. I disagree with that. I'd read that book and so will everyone else here will. I'm sure there have been many different writers who pitched ideas for Superman that's been rejected. There's no such thing with what Clark can't do as Superman and what Jon can do what his father can't.

That being said, I hope for the success of Jon. I just don't want him being Clark Kent 2.0 or re-using ideas that was meant for his father. I do want to see Jon expand on Superman's world in his own way that's uniquely Jon.
    Personally, I'd rather see Jon go down the Gohan route. The DC Universe is a big place, there's lots of room for non-costume stories.
    Well, it'd be strange to have a Clark in college in a contemporary setting. In the 80's or 90's or even the 70's, I could see it. But Clark's a grown man, an old man even, in more ways than one. It'd be at best an interesting elseworld and it'd have to deal with the problems of those decades. Today's Superman in college can only be Jon... or Clark as that annoying boring teacher who focuses on older problematic and can't see (or worse, can't act to correct) the current huge problems the world is facing.