Page 139 of 208 FirstFirst ... 3989129135136137138139140141142143149189 ... LastLast
Results 2,071 to 2,085 of 3110

Quote Originally Posted by Journey View Post
    People already shipping Jon & Jackson on Twitter, now admittedly while I'm all for adding some flavor to the Superman love pattern, (though I do question if Jon can handle a black man let alone a black woman) people just ain't giving Jay a chance lmao everyone seems to think he's a stepping stone.
    Probably doesnt matter anyway since I've reached my three issue chance limit with this book but for the sake of future books/stories, I'm hoping he's a stepping stone. Jackson would be a hell of a lot more interesting than another Superman hooking up with another reporter. Unless they really do go that villain route with him.

Yeesh, for the sake of of something somewhat different I'd even take Imra or Kathy's boring asses back xD
    Last edited by Blue22; 10-21-2021 at 02:23 PM.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Can’t see Janin being treated as a side artist for Timms. If he were to be on that book he’d be the main artist, and I’m not sure if they’re going to kick Timms off like that.
    I don't think he'd be a side artist in this instance. I think he'd just flat out take the book from him because the profile for it has gone up.

I honestly feel like it's not impossible for DC to remove Timms (maybe move him over to Bendis' JL) after they've seen the profile of Son of Kal-El go way up. Now there's more eyes on the book and it's the best selling Superman related book running right now. It would be a good look for DC to throw a super star artist at this book. Son of Kal-El also beat out a Morrison Superman related #1 (granted Morrison doesn't sell like they used to, but still. And that was before Jon came out). And Janin was working on that.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Blue22 View Post
    Probably doesnt matter anyway since I've reached my three issue chance limit with this book but for the sake of future books/stories, I'm hoping he's a stepping stone. Jackson would be a hell of a lot more interesting than another Superman hooking up with another reporter. Unless they really do go that villain route with him.

Yeesh, for the sake of of something somewhat different I'd even take Imra or Kathy's boring asses back xD
    I am really hoping they go the villain route for Jay. Him being shady in issue 4 is the only thing that made him interesting. Also the Revolutionaries have good intentions but are definitely morally grey characters, so his interaction with them should say something.

Few things...

https://twitter.com/TomTaylorMade/st...97095671955466

https://twitter.com/TomTaylorMade/st...67784512446472

https://www.dccomics.com/blog/2021/1...-el-5-reprints

Hi-Fi is confirmed to be taking over for colors. Bless.

All in all, Jon seems to be doing quite well for DC and the Superman line. Hope they take note. More orders than even issue #1! At 5! Plus the reprints for all the other issues too!
    Last edited by Superlad93; 10-21-2021 at 04:27 PM.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    Few things...

All in all, Jon seems to be doing quite well for DC and the Superman line. Hope they take note. More orders than even issue #1! At 5! Plus the reprints for all the other issues too!
    Not looking to stir the pot, but this is exactly what I was expecting/dreading when the book first launched.

Now the question is, can this momentum be carried forward? Will issue 5 essentially be a spiritual first issue?

Quote Originally Posted by Iclifton View Post
    I am really hoping they go the villain route for Jay. Him being shady in issue 4 is the only thing that made him interesting. Also the Revolutionaries have good intentions but are definitely morally grey characters, so his interaction with them should say something.
    I agree. Outside of Jay's shady vibes, he doesn't have too much going for him at the moment. Granted it's only been 3 issues of him so far though.

I would really love the villain/anti-hero route for him. I don't think I've seen a love story turned ideological divide done with a queer couple in mainstream comics let alone anything even remotely close to Superman. It's like saying what if Reed and Doom, Prof X and Magneto, or even Clark and Lex used to date. You add on that extra layer of pathos and emotion, and it really punctuates the frustration when they can't see eye to eye.

Like the subtext (depending on your culture) of some anime rivals made text. THAT'S how you truly get and manipulate the tumblr crowd.

Quote Originally Posted by garazza View Post
    Not looking to stir the pot, but this is exactly what I was expecting/dreading when the book first launched.

Now the question is, can this momentum be carried forward? Will issue 5 essentially be a spiritual first issue?
    You were expecting/dreading the book to do well?

I certainly hope it gets carried forward. Gosh, I'm not even sure DC remembers what to do when a Superman book is doing well-- let alone a Superman book that's using one of their new big push ideas.

I just imagine some guy walking into an office and explaining this, and a boss at DC genuinely struggling to understand how the word Batman isn't coming before what is being said to them.

Quote Originally Posted by Journey View Post
    People already shipping Jon & Jackson on Twitter, now admittedly while I'm all for adding some flavor to the Superman love pattern, (though I do question if Jon can handle a black man let alone a black woman) people just ain't giving Jay a chance lmao everyone seems to think he's a stepping stone.
    Just wait until my boy Jay has his Magneto moment they'll finally see his potential.
    december 21st has passed where are my superpowers?

Quote Originally Posted by Blue22 View Post

Imra should get back together with Garth.

I agree. Outside of Jay's shady vibes, he doesn't have too much going for him at the moment. Granted it's only been 3 issues of him so far though.

I would really love the villain/anti-hero route for him. I don't think I've seen a love story turned ideological divide done with a queer couple in mainstream comics let alone anything even remotely close to Superman. It's like saying what if Reed and Doom, Prof X and Magneto, or even Clark and Lex used to date. You add on that extra layer of pathos and emotion, and it really punctuates the frustration when they can't see eye to eye.

Like the subtext (depending on your culture) of some anime rivals made text. THAT'S how you truly get and manipulate the tumblr crowd.
    See Superlad gets it, nothing gets the YA demo (who I assume this comic is targeted for) like a good rival dynamic. I can think of a few shows that fell off the moment that dynamic was ruined (Death Notes) or fandoms that only stuck around to see the final fight (Naruto).

Now if you somehow manage to pull off making a romantic rivalry.
    december 21st has passed where are my superpowers?

You were expecting/dreading the book to do well?

I certainly hope it gets carried forward. Gosh, I'm not even sure DC remembers what to do when a Superman book is doing well-- let alone a Superman book that's using one of their new big push ideas.

I just imagine some guy walking into an office and explaining this, and a boss at DC genuinely struggling to understand how the word Batman isn't coming before what is being said to them.
    Yes, we've been over this. I wanted this book to fail so it would send a clear message that fans want Jon de-aged.

To build off what you're saying, albeit tangentially, I want the message DC gets from SSoK getting these second printings to be "Fans want Jon to be bisexual!" but I would expect DC's conclusion to the second printings to be something like "Fans don't want him de-aged, they want him as a young adult!" when that's not necessarily the case nor an accurate conclusion that should be drawn from the recent news.

Though, the last time DC had a Superman book do well, which I would argue was Rebirth, they got it in their head to fix what wasn't broken and get rid of the very thing that brought them success, ie Jon as a kid, so maybe with SSoK's delayed success, DC will take it upon themselves to do the same and ultimately hurt the book they thought they were helping.

Quote Originally Posted by OopsIdiditagain View Post
    See Superlad gets it, nothing gets the YA demo (who I assume this comic is targeted for) like a good rival dynamic. I can think of a few shows that fell off the moment that dynamic was ruined (Death Notes) or fandoms that only stuck around to see the final fight (Naruto).

Now if you somehow manage to pull off making a romantic rivalry.
    Oh absolutely!

Kingdom Hearts, (not an anime, but still a very big example), Berserk, Devilman, and you've already mentioned Naruto.

You take the subtext that fans like this fan been grasping at for decades and you make it actual text with a hero as big as Superman? It writes itself at some point.

Though, the last time DC had a Superman book do well, which I would argue was Rebirth, they got it in their head to fix what wasn't broken and get rid of the very thing that brought them success, ie Jon as a kid, so maybe with SSoK's delayed success, DC will take it upon themselves to do the same and ultimately hurt the book they thought they were helping.
    I'd argue that they doubled down after Rebirth. Rebirth was Jon as a co star but still ultimately in service to his father. After that Jon started to take real estate. Ultimately they wanted him to just flat out be Superman with 5G. This may be vindication for that, and they once again double down.

And going off a recent PKJ interview, DC is really focusing on the idea that "no. this isn't 'hey, look, Geo Force is bi now, guy!' but rather SUPERMAN is bi." They're pleased with and pushing the fact that it's legit Superman. So, I imagine they're likely not looking to go "well hey Superboy being bi is just as good right? Right??" PKJ really stressed that it meant something to DC and people who are currently working there that it's SuperMAN.

I'm expecting to see more books with Jon as Superman in them, and an eventual push to outside adaptation for him as Superman because this is easily the most press the character has ever gotten to date, and one of the more significant lines of press the Superman brand has ever gotten.
    Last edited by Superlad93; 10-21-2021 at 05:32 PM.

I'd argue that they doubled down after Rebirth. Rebirth was Jon as a co star but still ultimately in service to his father. After that Jon started to take real estate. Ultimately they wanted him to just flat out be Superman with 5G. This may be vindication for that, and they once again double down.

And going off a recent PKJ interview, DC is really focusing on the idea that "no. this isn't 'hey, look, Geo Force is bi now, guy!' but rather SUPERMAN is bi." They're pleased with and pushing the fact that it's legit Superman. So, I imagine they're likely not looking to go "well hey Superboy being bi is just as good right? Right??" PKJ really stressed that it meant something to DC and people who are currently working there that it's SuperMAN.
    I have a huge problem with Jon being Superman and it has nothing to do with him being aged up. I just have to look at his perceived contemporaries, Jace and Yara, and be boggled at their continual doubling down on something that should quite obviously be temporary. Like, who in their right minds think Jace and Yara can supplant Bruce and Diana the same way DC is trying to supplant Clark with Jon, so why is DC going so hard trying to make Jon into THE SuperMAN, when he should be at best a Superman (before he's brought back to his rightful status as a SuperBOY) like Jace is a Batman and Yara is a Wonder Woman (I know she's Girl right now but you get the idea).

I'm expecting to see more books with Jon as Superman in them, and an eventual push to outside adaptation for him as Superman because this is easily the most press the character has ever gotten to date, and one of the more significant lines of press the Superman brand has ever gotten.
    That's why I'm boggled at the doubling down on Jon as SuperMAN because given by how hard they're doubling down, he should be in more books, but he's simply not. And that's because everyone knows this is a simple deviation from the status quo of Clark as Superman that will eventually get returned to, so why this big push for Jon as SuperMAN, when, as I said, he's at best a Superman
    Last edited by garazza; 10-21-2021 at 05:42 PM.

Few things...

Nice, Hi-Fi is the guy coloring Action right? Dude is fantastic, hopefully he brings out the best in Timms art.
    I have a huge problem with Jon being Superman and it has nothing to do with him being aged up. I just have to look at his perceived contemporaries, Jace and Yara, and be boggled at their continual doubling down on something that should quite obviously be temporary. Like, who in their right minds think Jace and Yara can supplant Bruce and Diana the same way DC is trying to supplant Clark with Jon, so why is DC going so hard trying to make Jon into THE SuperMAN, when he should be at best a Superman (before he's brought back to his rightful status as a SuperBOY) like Jace is a Batman and Yara is a Wonder Woman (I know she's Girl right now but you get the idea).

That's why I'm boggled at the doubling down on Jon as SuperMAN because given by how hard they're doubling down, he should be in more books, but he's simply not. And that's because everyone knows this is a simple deviation from the status quo of Clark as Superman that will eventually get returned to, so why this big push for Jon as SuperMAN, when, as I said, he's at best a Superman
    Yara totally could’ve competed with Diana. She got a ton of attention and excitement, she has a great costume, her initial FS books were big sellers and well written. DC just completely fumbled handling her so far, Joelle isn’t cut out to write and draw an ongoing, and her CW show getting rejected hampered awareness of her. But the potential was and is still there for her to succeed.

Jace is weird. Would’ve thought a black Batman would get a ton of attention but no one seems to care. Maybe because Bruce is so popular and Bruce already has so many Family members including some black ones, nobody is interested in another? Ridley wants Jace to get a movie or a series, if that happens then we’ll see if he can compete with Bruce.

Jon is the best situated for success in terms of competing with his predecessor. WB clearly views Superman as a “problem” given they’re basically throwing **** at the wall to figure out what to do with him. Coates making Superman black in film, MBJ doing his own passion project for MAX, the CW doing a traditional take but with the caveat of Clark being a dad, evil Supermen in video games, and a new anime-esque Superman cartoon. They’re just going wild with the Superman IP right now because they know it should be more successful than it has been. Given the last time Clark had a universally well-received movie was under Donner, were any of his successor characters to really achieve big success they could feasibly challenge him the way Wally unseated Barry or Barry unseated Jay. It’s not likely but Jon is getting a ton of attention and he’s in outside media now. S&L has him as about the same age as he is in the comics, YJ has him as a baby/kid, he’s getting that Super-Son animated movie. He’s building up a fanbase and of the three he’s the one who is showing up in media projects right now.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

I think that has to do with the fact that Bruce and Diana aren't taking as many Ls in terms of outside media love as Clark is. Jon as Superman lets them start over a bit while keeping the strong link to Clark and Lois without being Clark himself. He also hits the younger demo, and making Superman conventionally cool or appealing or just generally not feeling like something past its prime is something DC's been trying to do for, well, ever. Recently they've kind of thrown their hands up and are now leaning into the idea that, yes, Superman is kind of old, thus he's allowed to get married, have a kid, and I suspect even have graying hair one of these days. But they still need to hit the gen z demo for the Superman brand. And when we're talking brands, we're not talking associated offshoots. The exact name SuperMAN is a brand and for the first time in long while with Jon it's looking like that's possible.

We'll have to see on Jace and Yara, but, like I said, Diana and Bruce don't have the same issues Clark does. Bruce is Bruce, and Diana's still got that new car smell to here as far as the outside media goes.

I think he will be in more books after this. Relative gold has potentially been struck here, and the sort of language they're using for Jon is what you'd hear with Miles (Bendis himself even making the comparison). I think like Miles you simply can't call Jon anything other than Superman now because anything less than Superman will be seen as a demotion.

So I'll just sit here and wait for my Super-Verse movie!