Page 179 of 208 FirstFirst ... 79129169175176177178179180181182183189 ... LastLast
Results 2,671 to 2,685 of 3110
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    Well, Harley is a unique case because of the Animated Series where it was heavily implied that she is bisexual even when she was technically still with Joker
    In the White Knight series, she ultimately falls in love with Bruce and marries him too.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Konja7 View Post
    You're right that bi people could choose to date only one gender, they would still be bisexual.

However, there is a real issue about bi erasure. For example: There are people who will say Jon isn't bi if he starts dating a woman.
    I've seen no one say that except for people on here continual speculation that is how people will react.

Most bi-sexual (male and female) in comics' main love interest is of the opposite sex and the vast majority of fans have never complained, the fact is the opposite has been true, fans usually complain that the character has never been shown in a same-sex relationship but only have those relationships implied with innuendos.

As for Jon, the only complaint I have seen from fans is that they are concerned that if he is put in a love triangle they have the male love interest (Jay) be evil and the female love interest be good.

Quote Originally Posted by Monari View Post
    I think what Celgress is saying, and pardon me if i'm not interpreting it properly, is that you need to have the actions to follow-up with the words. Like in Rise of Skywalker, I remember that J.J. Abrams and Lucasfilm were hyping it up as the first Star Wars film to feature LGBTQIA2+ content, and once it released everyone felt kind of deflated that the "big moment" was just a blink-and-you'll-miss-it kiss on the far side of the screen in the background between two no-name characters in the middle of a big celebration. If they say that Jon is bisexual, yet only have him date men going forward, even though he is still technically bisexual, in context it does seem to invalidate what is a distinct sexual orientation. I mean, I guess you could offset it with sometimes seeing thought bubbles of him expressing that a particular girl he comes across is "hot" or something, but the proof is in the pudding, so to speak.
    Bingo, this is it in a nutshell. Sorry if I was unclear.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Rat View Post
    In the White Knight series, she ultimately falls in love with Bruce and marries him too.
    Yeah. I honestly don't know how I feel about that one. This Harley is obviously a different one from main canon (let alone Injustice), but still. Plus, Jason, as Red Hood (and a grizzled one at that) is slated to get a girl Robin in the near future. Not the "grumpy" kind of Robin, but the kind that Jason was before DC tried to make him a "bad" Robin.

Anyway, still feels, not right to kind of defend fake Jon. But its the age up I've had major issues with, not him being Bi. But when people try and ignore the part where he is attracted to BOTH genders, or try and push that aspect as far down as possible, then what's the point of calling him Bi? Its also a thing that pops up in various self-insert/mary sue/gary stu fanfics; one character declares themself bi, but then conveniently ignores the part where they're attracted to both genders.

And no, it is not a welcome kind of trope in fanfics, its one that tends to annoy those that can look beyond the obvious ship(s). And its something that seems to be happening here.

As for fakeJon getting with Dreamer; okay. Really out of left field, admittedly (as in bringing in her, and not a more well known character), but okay. Dreamer was good in Supergirl. Will have to see how she is here.

Astonishing Member Darkspellmaster's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OopsIdiditagain View Post
    That's not true. There are bi people who have only dated the same gender and there are bi people who have only dated the opposite gender. They are still bisexual and nothing is erased.

I'm not saying that they should never write Jon in relationship with women. But the notion that bi characters have to be shown in relationships with both genders to be count as proper representation of bisexuality isn't true. There bi people who go their entire lives only dating one gender their bisexuality is still valid.

I don't mind Jon dating men or women as long as it's well written though. Just wanted to point that out.
    What I'm trying to get at here is that, with Fictional characters you can't just say they are one thing and then not show it. You have to do something and just having him say "Oh yeah Black Canary is hot" is not going to work in reality. When dealing with a real life person yeah this is about all you need because the person's physical actions, or other means can communicate that they are bi in how they treat things or other people. With fictional characters we need to see more with drawings and the like because we can't always read their faces. So In the case of Jon, I would say having Jon, at least, show that he would be willing to date a girl again, either Nia who is coming in as Dreamer, or some new character that could be interesting too. Or older Kathy. All I'm saying here is that you need to show, don't tell us, the same way you would need to show not tell us about other aspects of a character.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Darkspellmaster View Post
    What I'm trying to get at here is that, with Fictional characters you can't just say they are one thing and then not show it. You have to do something and just having him say "Oh yeah Black Canary is hot" is not going to work in reality. When dealing with a real life person yeah this is about all you need because the person's physical actions, or other means can communicate that they are bi in how they treat things or other people. With fictional characters we need to see more with drawings and the like because we can't always read their faces. So In the case of Jon, I would say having Jon, at least, show that he would be willing to date a girl again, either Nia who is coming in as Dreamer, or some new character that could be interesting too. Or older Kathy. All I'm saying here is that you need to show, don't tell us, the same way you would need to show not tell us about other aspects of a character.
    We understand. You don't need to keep responding to them.

Astonishing Member OopsIdiditagain's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ZuLuLu View Post
    I've seen no one say that except for people on here continual speculation that is how people will react.

Most bi-sexual (male and female) in comics' main love interest is of the opposite sex and the vast majority of fans have never complained, the fact is the opposite has been true, fans usually complain that the character has never been shown in a same-sex relationship but only have those relationships implied with innuendos.

As for Jon, the only complaint I have seen from fans is that they are concerned that if he is put in a love triangle they have the male love interest (Jay) be evil and the female love interest be good.
    How could anyone even react like that when the first time Jon ever showed any sign of being attracted to anyone was with a woman. Before Jon might as well have been aroace because the character never showed interest in anything romance-related, not even something like a childhood crush because whatever was going on with Kathy was one-sided.
    december 21st has passed where are my superpowers?

Astonishing Member Darkspellmaster's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kevinism View Post
    We understand. You don't need to keep responding to them.
    Thanks. Wasn't sure if I was explaining well in the first place.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by ZuLuLu View Post

Well, I've seen accusations of erasure because a bisexual male character is dating a woman.

I think many bisexuals in comics have main love interests of the opposite sex, because they were created straight and have a strong relationship with an opposite sex character. Then, writers want to give them relationships with the same sex (but not erase the romance in the previous relationship), so they make these characters bisexuals.

That said, I don't know how many bisexual men have a main love interest of the opposite sex (the only one I can think of is Constantine).
    Last edited by Konja7; 05-01-2022 at 02:13 AM.

Well, I've seen accusations of erasure because a bisexual male character is dating a woman.

I think many bisexuals in comics have main love interests of the opposite sex, because they were created straight and have a strong relationship with an opposite sex character. Then, writers want to give them relationships with the same sex (but not erase the romance in the previous relationship), so they make these characters bisexuals.

That said, I don't know how many bisexual men have a main love interest of the opposite sex (the only one I can think of is Constantine).
    Constantine isn't Bi he is Pansexual.

People who claim a bisexual dating more than one gender to be bi erasure either don't know what the term means or they are making the claim in bad faith.

It'd be neat if DC writers had the dedication to give Jon a love life that reflects his orientation. Have him go on dates with men and women.
    Last edited by dietrich; 05-05-2022 at 11:39 AM.

I have a friend who said she was bi and looking to date women but ended up with a man. hmmm. Suspicious.

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Angel View Post
    I have a friend who said she was bi and looking to date women but ended up with a man. hmmm. Suspicious.
    Obligatory "Nice" for post number.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Angel View Post
    This is exactly what I mean. In real life this isn't an issue, but I think to make the point clear in comics unfortunately bisexual people need to "establish their cred" so to speak, and keep doing so. We need to see Jon and Jay get intimate, and assurances from Jon that his attraction to Jay wasn't just a one-off or a "phase". This would also prevent any future writer from coming in and undoing things or hand-waving away the relationship. I actually do feel that Jon should keep the pride-coloured cape as a full-time part of his costume moving forward. The power of associating that flag with the "S" shield cannot be overstated for its inspiration.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by dietrich View Post
    Constantine isn't Bi he is Pansexual.
    Thanks for the clarification. I didn't know Constantine identify as pansexual.

Incredible Member

Thanks for the clarification. I didn't know Constantine identify as pansexual.
    He hooked up with a shark.