Page 1 of 208 123451151101 ... LastLast
    Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Default Superman: son of Kal-El

https://www.gamesradar.com/new-super...action-comics/

So the new Superman title is officially announced, by Tom Taylor and John Timms.

Well the title is a nice touch.
    Welcome or welcome back! Please check out the updated
    CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Astonishing Member

I like that they added the Son of Kal-El (a mouthful) to the title, but it reminds me, have they not given him an official Kryptonian name? While Jon-El is serviceable, I still want something separate from his Earth moniker.

Ugh the worst case scenario is here at last. Basically guarantees Jon will never be anything except a mini version of his dad. I don’t know whether I should be pleased that at least Taylor finally getting his turn on the Superbooks will be confined to writing Jon rather than screwing up Clark, or crushed that Taylor is going to take all the potential and completely waste it. How long before it turns into a stealth Batman/Harley Quinn book I wonder? Oh well.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Superman: Son of Kal-El just sounds like a silly title when most people associate the name with the actual Kal-El. Like, I get their thought process, but it still seems kind of silly.

Taylor...well, I know he's divisive on these boards, he's popular with his fandom, so he'll probably do a fairly standard, wholesome, Superman book with Jon and live out writing the traditional Superman (more or less) through writing Jon. It doesn't make me feel hyped for the book personally.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by rpmaluki View Post
    I like that they added the Son of Kal-El (a mouthful) to the title, but it reminds me, have they not given him an official Kryptonian name? While Jon-El is serviceable, I still want something separate from his Earth moniker.
    This is his first solo title he might just get it here. Also is he really gonna be Superman right now????? Is it to not overlap with Conner?

Astonishing Member

@Vordan - Is that David Bowie?

For whatever reason, I am a slightly excited. I have been a bit down on the prospects since post Future State plans were trickling out. It could be the additional subtitle, a bit trivial but it's doing wonders. I can hold out hope that this is Jon's book and Clark will (eventually) have both Action Comics and Superman (no subtitle) books to himself sooner rather than later.

I like how Taylor handles the Superfamily. He did a great job with Laura under similar circumstances over at Marvel and did seperated her from Lohan while making her her own Wolverine. I don't think you can compare DCeased to how this will shake out.

Also, with Taylor I know Lois will have a substantive role in Jon's life. So I think I'll actually be able to take PKJ's Superman run with a more open mind now.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

"Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    I like how Taylor handles the Superfamily. He did a great job with Laura under similar circumstances over at Marvel and did seperated her from Lohan while making her her own Wolverine. I don't think you can compare DCeased to how this will shake out.

Also, with Taylor I know Lois will have a substantive role in Jon's life. So I think I'll actually be able to take PKJ's Superman run with a more open mind now.
    This is my biggest hope with Taylor on this book. Please let it be the case, I will gladly throw money at it.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post

Ugh the worst case scenario is here at last. Basically guarantees Jon will never be anything except a mini version of his dad. I don’t know whether I should be pleased that at least Taylor finally getting his turn on the Superbooks will be confined to writing Jon rather than screwing up Clark, or crushed that Taylor is going to take all the potential and completely waste it. How long before it turns into a stealth Batman/Harley Quinn book I wonder? Oh well.

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    Laura Kinney. The only wholesome Wolverine book in existence .
    I think Taylor would be more willing to use Lois, although I don't think that guarantees her a substantial role.

Astonishing Member

The choice of Taylor as the author is not surprising. He can be treated differently here, he is a very generic and fanservice writer, but most of the mainstream fanbase loves his comics and there was a specific fan request for him to write ongoing Superman. He also has experience with the adult Jon, who was rated positively.
    The decision to give Jon an entire ongoing of Superman is risky in itself, especially given how Jon's age-up is perceived. So it makes sense that a fan-favorite writer got this ongoing. They want people to like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I think Taylor would be more willing to use Lois, although I don't think that guarantees her a substantial role.
    He's as vocal about being a fan of Lois as he is about Superman. And substantive doesn't necessarily mean substantial. She has a great role in the Injustice 2 annual. Just that she has a far greater chance to actually have a meaningful impact on the story than just cameos at family time. I think he will carve out a supporting cast for Jon on his own though.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post

I mean, you can't really hide that he's Superman Jr. Yet to this story he will be THE Superman. He can still be his own character but if he gets the title at little to no cost, then it means little to nothing.

I feel a little spoiled by Watters but I also think Taylor is more than capable even if his Superman experience has been a little weird thus far.
    Welcome or welcome back! Please check out the updated
    CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Morgoth View Post
    The choice of Taylor as the author is not surprising. He can be treated differently here, he is a very generic and fanservice writer, but most of the mainstream fanbase loves his comics and there was a specific fan request for him to write ongoing Superman. He also has experience with the adult Jon, who was rated positively.
    The decision to give Jon an entire ongoing of Superman is risky in itself, especially given how Jon's age-up is perceived. So it makes sense that a fan-favorite writer got this ongoing. They want people to like it.
    As somebody who feels very strongly about wanting Jon deaged, this doesn't change anything. I don't care who they put on it. I want Jon de-aged and that's final. So I'm not giving it a chance and hope others will do the same so DC gets the message to de-age Jon.