Page 59 of 208 FirstFirst ... 94955565758596061626369109159 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-Ul View Post
    https://www.cbr.com/superman-jon-kent-new-costume/

I wonder how it will be? Something like the seen in Future State? Something different? And why change it so soon?
    I really hope his new costume doesn’t include a cape.

The sleeveless look from "Superman and the Authority" would've been cool.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    The sleeveless look from "Superman and the Authority" would've been cool.
    Nah!jon's not bulky enough..
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"

Then give him a long coat instead of a cape.

Incredible Member

I think maybe a casual look, moving away from the armored regal look he's currently sporting.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    Then give him a long coat instead of a cape.
    That would be cool..
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

I wonder how much Injustice Taylor is going to put in this?

I was thinking about it the other day as I read through Injustice in prep for this, and that book is actually kind of interesting if its reworked as an incorruptible Superman (as Taylor feels he is) finally getting serious about changing the world. Dealing with world super powers getting more and more nervous as said Superman sets into situations you previously assumed he wouldn't, and seeing the inner conflict of "how far am I going" vs "how did anyone let it get this bad to begin with" play out.

And instead of a regime like Clark had in Injustice, Jon has an underground rebel faction. Effectively, Clark was Darth Vader, and Jon is Luke. Though, the two set ups are opposed, they share a similar sort of built in interpersonal politics the work towards and bounce off a singular macro goals. "Missions" and objectives can be formed. Small battles in a larger war can be won and lost. Friends can be made, lost, and turned.

Like, when does Jon go far enough against the status quo that it makes other heroes uncomfortable enough to step in? Like Injustice, there's a built in sense of escalation that can happen here where by this time next year Son of Kal-El could get itself a second wind because Jon's pissed off Atlantis, or because Jon has proposed that the Earth start formally accepting extra terrestrial immigrants and not everyone likes the idea.

The idea that Jon is a Superman who is about change and not fighting the symptoms means his is a status quo that can always build as fast or as slow as it likes, but maintains a goal.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Bendis didn't make Teen Jon that interesting nor did Future State sell me on Adult Jon. So I'm hoping third times the charm with Taylor.

Tomorrow

"Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    I wonder how much Injustice Taylor is going to put in this?

I was thinking about it the other day as I read through Injustice in prep for this, and that book is actually kind of interesting if its reworked as an incorruptible Superman (as Taylor feels he is) finally getting serious about changing the world. Dealing with world super powers getting more and more nervous as said Superman sets into situations you previously assumed he wouldn't, and seeing the inner conflict of "how far am I going" vs "how did anyone let it get this bad to begin with" play out.

And instead of a regime like Clark had in Injustice, Jon has an underground rebel faction. Effectively, Clark was Darth Vader, and Jon is Luke. Though, the two set ups are opposed, they share a similar sort of built in interpersonal politics the work towards and bounce off a singular macro goals. "Missions" and objectives can be formed. Small battles in a larger war can be won and lost. Friends can be made, lost, and turned.

Like, when does Jon go far enough against the status quo that it makes other heroes uncomfortable enough to step in? Like Injustice, there's a built in sense of escalation that can happen here where by this time next year Son of Kal-El could get itself a second wind because Jon's pissed off Atlantis, or because Jon has proposed that the Earth start formally accepting extra terrestrial immigrants and not everyone likes the idea.

The idea that Jon is a Superman who is about change and not fighting the symptoms means his is a status quo that can always build as fast or as slow as it likes, but maintains a goal.
    This is Brilliant

Get em while their hot! New interviews on the eve of issue #1

https://www.yahoo.com/now/tom-taylor...Cua9aczyJcB9cg

Nerdist: Kal-El is one of the most famous adopted superheroes. He’s a character who didn’t know who his real parents were until he was much older. And obviously, Jon knows exactly who his parents are, and they’re super famous. Are you going to play with that difference of not knowing who your birth family is and how it affects your worldview, versus having the most famous parents in the world?

Tom Taylor: Certainly, the fact that he has the most famous parents in the world is a big factor. Obviously, now that the world knows [Clark Kent] Superman’s identity, they know Jon’s. Like there’s an impact there. And it was certainly part of my original pitch that we have to deal with that. You’ll see a lot of that in issue two of Son of Kal-El, when he’s sort of coming to terms with that.

Nerdist: Jon Kent is stepping into the shoes of the greatest superhero of all time. Will he ever have to deal with imposter syndrome?

Tom Taylor: I think it’s an interesting issue because he’s 17 years old. His dad is the most famous person on the planet, and the greatest hero on the planet. And a lot of people kind of feel that way about their fathers. But with Jon, it’s the truth. And so, yes, there’s going to be an element of imposter syndrome. But there’s also an element where Jon challenges his own father. He looks at what Clark’s done and looks to see how he can improve, or wonders why he hasn’t done more. And he challenges him on that.

He says, “you know what, when you have this much power, when you can see what we can see, when you can see what happens to the world, when you can look at the climate crisis, when you can look at so much inequality, how can you fight the symptoms?” But yes, of course, there’s going to be an element of imposter syndrome. And because he is young, he’s not quite sure which way to go yet.

He knows that there’s nowhere in the world where he can go and be anyone other than himself, where no one recognizes him. You know, Superman’s as recognizable as Coca-Cola, it’s a brand that the whole world knows. And so it’s not something that Jon can hide from, but you’ll see something actually at the end of issue one, the conversation he has with Damien Wayne [Robin] that addresses that a little

Nerdist: Superman revealed his Clark Kent identity to the world, and by doing so, made his son Jon Kent famous too. Are you going to explore how Jon feels about the idea of secret identities in general now? And would he ever explore getting one?

Tom Taylor: There is going to be some secret identity talk. And talk about whether there is a life where he can be away from being Superman all time, from being Jon Kent, 24/7. It’s daunting. Imagine being a 17-year-old, and not being able to walk down the street because people have seen you fly through buildings. He is essentially a celebrity in every sense of the word.

Especially as someone who’s just come back come back from the future [in Legion of Super-Heroes]. We have seen him grown up very fast, away from this world, and come back. So of course, there’s going to be a part of him that wants to hide and doesn’t want to be in that scrutiny all the time. And he may find friends that help him do that.

Nerdist: Clark Kent has one of the most famous supporting casts in comics history. Do you plan to give Jon the equivalent? His own Perry White, his own Jimmy Olsen, etc? Or will his supporting cast not be reminiscent of his parents?

Tom Taylor: No, not really. We have something that we’re building towards. Some very big things coming up for Jon, which we can’t discuss yet. But his cast of characters came partly from a plot point, and partly for what he needs in his life. The sort of friendship he needs, the sort of support he needs. It’s not just about “we need a Daily Planet.” We kind of have that in The Truth, but it wasn’t about that. But I don’t know if they’re going to be as iconic as Perry White, or Jimmy Olsen, or even as much as Bibbo Bibowski. He gets one very good friend very early on, by issue three. Someone that he can talk to, that can be a confidant like Damian Wayne. And they’re going to have a big role in this.

Nerdist: Jon Kent has had a very “soap opera” childhood. He was a baby for five minutes, then a pre-teen for years. Then he got whisked away by his grandfather Jor-El to space, where he aged up to a teenager. But in between all these moments, there’s a lot of missing history for Jon. Do you plan on exploring that in Son of Kal-El?

Tom Taylor: It depends on whether it serves the story. You know, if we want to say “yes, he was stuck in a volcano for ages. And that’s why he has difficulty with this or that,” then we will go there. But it needs to serve the story. And I think in issue one, we show enough of his character, of him as a person, and his beginnings, to hopefully get a new audience on board. All without saying “he’s lived in the future, kidnapped by his grandfather.” You know, all of these stories, they can get really convoluted. Part of my job was trying to find a way to just distill all that down and say join us in issue one, this is where we leap forward from.

He's some more. WHOLE lot of that good sh!t in these.

"We were writing Superman as if [the main series] was continuing, and then we suddenly realized we were going to do a number one. So I had basically written issue two as a number one, and realized that it doesn't quite sing as number one, and it felt very much like a continuation," Taylor told press, including SYFY WIRE, at a roundtable discussion last week. "So I had the opportunity to go back and write a genuine number one. And for me that meant telling Jon's story, introducing potential new fans to Jon, and the best place to do that was with his birth, to see him through the eyes of the greatest heroes in the DC universe, and to see what that meant to them."

"He has this length to all of his characters. They all look like [they're] kind of leaping forward all the time. They always look like they're ready to spring," Taylor said of his co-creator. "And for a comic like this, I think this Superman is somebody who is ready to spring. He's ready to leap all the time. He's not his dad. He's not as mature, he's facing situations where he has to react. And we don't always know how he's going to react. We know how Clark Kent reacts to situations and we don't know how Jon reacts. So I think not only are we getting a sense of that physicality from John Timms, we're also getting a bit of that innocence and that naivete. He brings that to the facial expressions as well."

"You go back to 1938 and he was a radical hero. He was a hero in his first issue that was fighting against domestic violence. Later on he was kicking down doors of corrupt politicians," Taylor. "He was a hero for a time, and then he was a hero for another time. And a big part of this series is asking, 'What is Superman today? What could Superman be today?' And yes, just because he's angry about the climate crisis, or he's angry about guns, or he's angry about dictatorships, or is angry about or upset about all empathizing with refugees, it doesn't mean he can act on all of that without destabilizing the world. You know, he has to tread lightly, but he is younger. He is rawer. He is feeling these things in a way that a guy who's been around for a very long time may not."

"I want entertainment that not only entertains me, but makes me want to be better, and so that will be a big thing for this book for Jon," Taylor said. "And for me as a writer, I like telling positive stories. It's the same thing we're doing over on Nightwing. We're telling just this incredibly, really driven, positive tale of a positive person. And Jon Kent, [who was] raised by Clark Kent and Lois Lane, can't help but be a positive person. And obviously he's getting to have that fire of Lois and that desire to change things, and take on real world problems. But then he's got all of that compassion of Superman and all of that empathy."
    Last edited by Superlad93; 07-26-2021 at 11:33 AM.

A Yahoo interview? Blows my mind that site is even still around.

Alright so Jon will be challenging his father, I wonder if that ties in with how Clark is operating in S&tA and Action?

So the government will be confronting Jon. Wonder what form that’s going to take?

No plans for Conner to show up although it may happen down the road. Looks like Taylor will be keeping the focus on Jon in a solo capacity so I don’t expect any Superfamily members aside from Lois to maybe show up for a while.

Ok good Jon’s supporting cast aren’t going to just be copies of his dad’s I was worried about that. And it looks like he’ll be getting someone who can be a confidant besides Damian, which is good, he needs a life outside of Damian. I’m hoping it’s a “civilian” and not someone with powers.

Yeah you were right about what Taylor has been brought on to do Superlad, he’s explicitly streamlining Jon and wants to keep things from getting convoluted. So those of you who are obsessed with continuity are probably going to be upset that he’s not constantly agonizing over spending decades in a volcano lol.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

The section that I highlighted in bold sounds like Taylor will not be pulling any punches, and that this will be a Superman who may really piss a lot of people in the DCU off with his idealism, youth, and rawness. PKJ did say that the power structure of the DCU would be changing because of Jon didn't he? Might we be getting more anti-Injustice than we thought? This time next year could Jon Kent have changed the face of the DCU through his actions (for the better)? And if he does, who are the assholes that want to change it back?

This sounds like this is what Spectre was talking about. This may straight up be Year One of Injustice...but with a good Superman, and by next year big changes will have happened because of Jon Kent's actions as Superman and the power he holds. This supporting cast that Taylor says will be building towards, and the "very big things for Jon" that he can't discuss may end up being Jon's equivalent to the regime...but good.

I'm calling it now: this year's super event belongs to Clark, but next year is 100% Jon's, and it's going to be about how much he's changed the face of the DCU. And it's probably going to have tie-ins with JL and books. If there's any writer that I think DC's willing to bet on for a legit event that's not Snyder, Johns, or Williamson, it's Tom Taylor. It'll basically be good Superman Injustice...but not everyone in the DCU will see it as objectively good.

Also, seems like Jon will be getting a secret of sorts. Issue 2 says that he's outted as Jon Kent by The Truth. However, knowing that Jon will eventually be working with them, what if they take pity on him and help him create a new secret identity to walk around and go to school with? Sounds like they're the friends that Taylor says help him out with his problem.

My gut reaction to this was "NOOOOOOOOO", but then I thought for a moment: what history professor doesn't look like an actual super villain for failing Superman on a midterm because he was late to class after fighting a giant gorilla? How do you do the drama of that with Jon as public? And this doesn't actually save Jon from having his family attacked or from being super famous. Jon Kent aka Superman would still be a public figure...but Justin, Joe, or Jordan(?) could walk around and catch his breath and maybe grab a bite to eat while he figures life out.

And given the story that Taylor is telling-- about a young man trying to bring about real systemic change--, Jon having an id that lets him see first hand what normal people live like makes sense even more so than Clark Kent did.

At least Jon still won't have any "which identity is the real one" debates. You clearly know Jon is the guy before Superman or whoever else.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Yeah you were right about what Taylor has been brought on to do Superlad, he’s explicitly streamlining Jon and wants to keep things from getting convoluted. So those of you who are obsessed with continuity are probably going to be upset that he’s not constantly agonizing over spending decades in a volcano lol.
    Funnily enough, this is the second time he brings that particular bit of backstory in an interview about this book, so I do think that'll get a mention in the actual book at some point.