Page 119 of 208 FirstFirst ... 1969109115116117118119120121122123129169 ... LastLast
Results 1,771 to 1,785 of 3110
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by oneveryfineday View Post
    Variant cover to issue 4

i like it
    burning rage

Fantastic Member oneveryfineday's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Taking bets on whether the Kents die or not? Wish they would but I’m assuming Taylor won’t kill them off since they’ll probably be added to Jon’s supporting cast along with Lois. That variant does make it look like the Kent farm is toast though.
    Never seen anyone root so hard for the death of innocent senior citizens lol

I agree though, I don’t think Taylor will kill them off even if it would be more interesting if he did.

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    That cover is sick. Works even better since Jon hasn't run the angry red eyes thing into the ground yet. He's typically a cheerful guy with a smile never far from his face in nearly all his comics, so when you do slap on the red eyes it's really like "oh damn, who could've possibly f%&ked up bad enough for this to happen?"

Also, I'm wondering if Taylor is planning on having Jon's powers controllable via his emotions/confidence?

The set up would be there since Taylor's a fan of the Tomasi and Gleason era, and this idea that Jon is potentially more powerful than Clark is a direct holdover from that era. And in that era Damian stated (and we saw first hand) that Jon's powers were controllable via his emotions.

That would somewhat line up with PKJ saying that there are aspects of Jon's powers that he has a greater control over than Clark or Kara, and this would fit. Clark and Kara's strength is finite in the sense that they can't will it up or down. I mean, how else would you make Jon's other powers aside from his vision based ones more nuanced and controllable? This seems like the most logical choice for that idea.

That then reminded me of Wally when he took over for Barry during Waid's run. There was a scene where he's fighting Zoom, and it's implied that he'd been subconsciously holding himself back because he was scared he would replace Barry. That would fit perfectly with Jon's situation because he seems to be the only person in the DCU who doesn't want him to replace his dad. As PKJ said, Jon doesn't think of Superman as a mantel, but rather it's *just* his dad.

I speculated that issue 5 would potentially have Jon's coming out as queer being what sparks his greater power on the cover for issue #6, but what seems more likely is that Jay will "swoop in to save Jon" in the form of him giving him a pep talk and telling him that he *is* Superman...and then they'll maybe also kiss.

Then I'm guessing from there Jon'll only grow in power a scope similar to Wally as Flash. Similar to Jon, Wally's powers as Flash were more nuanced and just out-right more powerful than Barry's, and I'm guessing that's ultimately the inspiration for Jon's version of Superman, and it's likely why Taylor will have them meet.
    I have another angle on Jon’s possible character journey for this arc. Taylor said in an interview, “But his cast of characters came partly from a plot point, and partly for what he needs in his life. The sort of friendship he needs, the sort of support he needs.” In the last issue Jon says to Clark, “Are you literally dropping the weight of the world on my shoulders right now?” to which Clark replies, “You won’t have to lift it alone. You’ll have friends to help bear the burden.” Damian also remarked that Jon needed more friends.

I think Jon’s character arc will be about him accepting new friends into his life and letting them help carry his burden. He does attempt to make friends at Clark’s and Damian’s advice, but I think after the Kent farm is attacked Jon might feel like he has to push the people he cares about away to keep them safe. He might even push his new friend Jay away. The issue 5 solicit makes it sound like Jon tries to recklessly go at it alone, and that’s when things are presumably at its worst: “Jon Kent can’t save everyone, but that won’t stop him from trying. How much can Earth’s new Superman do before this Man of Steel buckles? And when he does, who swoops in to save Superman?”

We know that Jon will be taken out by devastating attack, and it’s probably Jay and possibly the other members of The Truth that come to save him.

Issue 6 is presumably the story’s climax, where the hero rises from his darkest moment and faces his final test to see if he learned his lessons from his past failures. The solicit is interesting because it’s not about Jon facing his enemy alone again, but Jon and Jay planning to fight together: “Jon Kent and his new ally Jay Nakamura are ready to strike back. They are on a collision course with the type of power that is used to swatting problems out of the way”.

It sounds like Jay will do more than just give Jon a pep talk and then wait on the sidelines while Jon saves the day. Instead I think the key is that Jon will accept Jay’s help and they’ll team up to defeat Bendix as a power duo, similar to how Jon and Kathy—another friend/love interest—teamed up to defeat Manchester Black.

So I think in Jon’s character arc we’ll see him attempt to do everything by himself as Superman, almost getting killed for it (especially if he’s been acting rashly because of the Kent farm attack), getting saved by Jay + The Truth, and then realizing that it’s okay to rely on other people. Jon will learn that friends aren’t just important, they’re necessary, and as Superman he’s not doomed to keep them at arm’s length just to keep them safe, and he can count on their support. And at some point Jon and Jay might admit that their feelings for each other isn’t only just friendship, but something more.

So the day gets saved with the power of friendship and possibly love

An emotional component of Jon’s ability could factor in here but as a double-edged sword; his emotions make him more powerful but if he doesn’t control it properly then his recklessness will be his downfall.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Probably right on the money, yeah. Especially when you factor in how crushed Jon is going to be after the farm gets hit. He'll likely want to push everyone away because he sees what happens when people are close to him while he's trying to be this sort of Superman.

I do still wonder about Jon's greater power and how that will manifest under Taylor. He set it up in issue 1 and PKJ has hyped it in Superman and Action. But maybe it's more of a second arc thing? At most maybe we get a hint this arc
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Fantastic Member oneveryfineday's Avatar

I do still wonder about Jon's greater power and how that will manifest under Taylor. He set it up in issue 1 and PKJ has hyped it in Superman and Action. But maybe it's more of a second arc thing? At most maybe we get a hint this arc
    Yeah, I think Jon’s power has been mentioned too many times to not eventually be expounded upon.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

I am of the mind that jon's powerlevels mean squat if the character is written blandly with bland action sequences,stakes,feats feeling bland as well.
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"

So, I don't know if anyone saw, but issue #3 was supposed to come out today, but has been pushed back to next week. However, several sites seem to have already gotten their review copies and posted reviews today.

I know one site has already taken the review down. Kind of a strange and rather sudden delay that didn't seem to be fully communicated well. This is also issue #3's second delay to date. Originally it was supposed to come out on the 14th, then got pushed to the 21st, and now is set for the 28th. Why this second delay? I'd read that the first was pandemic related and that's why issue #3 along with JL issue #67 and Catwoman and other books got a single delay, but why this second one for SoKL #3? And why did review copies already go out? It seems like they were ready for issue #3 to be out today, but then changed it. Even the reviews that came out today say to pick it up today.

Still looking forward to next week though!
    Last edited by Superlad93; 09-21-2021 at 12:49 PM.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

So, I don't know if anyone saw, but issue #3 was supposed to come out today, but has been pushed back to next week. However, several sites seem to have already gotten their review copies and posted reviews today.

I know one site has already taken the review down. Kind of a strange and rather sudden delay that didn't seem to be fully communicated well. This is also issue #3's second delay to date. Originally it was supposed to come out on the 14th, then got pushed to the 21st, and now is set for the 28th. Why this second delay? I'd read that the first was pandemic related and that's why issue #3 along with JL issue #67 and Catwoman and other books got a single delay, but why this second one for SoKL #3? And why did review copies already go out? It seems like they were ready for issue #3 to be out today, but then changed it. Even the reviews that came out today say to pick it up today.

Similar to what happened to the Action Comics Annual a little while back. I think there are some pretty significant production bottlenecks popping up due to supplier issues. But at least digitally, the issue has been set to come out next week for at least the past couple of weeks I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    Similar to what happened to the Action Comics Annual a little while back. I think there are some pretty significant production bottlenecks popping up due to supplier issues. But at least digitally, the issue has been set to come out next week for at least the past couple of weeks I think.
    I saw, but not everyone seemed to get the memo on that, and it's been the 21st for a while now on some sites and has only changed yesterday. That's why there were reviewers that came out today but got taken down. I wonder if any other issues of any other comics coming out this week hit a similar snag (as in the two delays that weren't communicated to reviewers)?

Next week isn’t another issue of PKJ Action right? Was really annoyed how DC put all the Superbooks out at the same week last month, felt like they could have coordinated that better.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Pretty sure next week is also the new issue of Action, yes.

I saw, but not everyone seemed to get the memo on that, and it's been the 21st for a while now on some sites and has only changed yesterday. That's why there were reviewers that came out today but got taken down. I wonder if any other issues of any other comics coming out this week hit a similar snag (as in the two delays that weren't communicated to reviewers)?
    Yeah, there seems to be a bit of a disconnect. I recall PKJ actually tweeting out about the Action Annual coming out "tomorrow" then having to walk that back and actually ask one or two review sites to pull their reviews. I don't think they keep everyone in the loop. I also think, and could be wrong, that review copies are typically pdfs emailed to reviewers. So a print production delay or shipping issue - which I think Lunar has also been experiencing from some of the grumbling I've seen - could delay things without it trickling down to the reviewers. But Comixology definitely had Superman #3 coming out on the 28th for at least the last couple of weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Next week isn’t another issue of PKJ Action right? Was really annoyed how DC put all the Superbooks out at the same week last month, felt like they could have coordinated that better.
    Yeah, they are still stacked. There's four ongoing Superbooks for the time being, between Authority, Supergirl, Superman, and Action. Space them out!

Incredible Member

I do remember reading somewhere that's there's a numbers of problems due to the pandemic still going on.
    I guess if there's people that get sick and have to be home at various levels of production and distribution, it's going to have an impact with delays.
    Also some states are doing better than others, even that can affect when books get into the stores.
    At least they haven't shut down yet .

Astonishing Member The Frog Bros's Avatar

The one review I saw today was Adventures in Poor Taste, they gave it a glowing review...
    “Look, you can’t put the Superman #77s with the #200s. They haven’t even discovered Red Kryptonite yet. And you can’t put the #98s with the #300s, Lori Lemaris hasn’t even been introduced.” — Sam
    “Where the hell are you from? Krypton?” — Edgar Frog

Quote Originally Posted by The Frog Bros View Post
    The one review I saw today was Adventures in Poor Taste, they gave it a glowing review...
    Unsurprising, Taylor is a critical darling (to my own bafflement). I’d need to check but I don’t think he’s put out something that reviewed poorly since Injustice.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Any particular reason why the Action Comics issue for the 28th is out but Son of Kal-El's preview for the same day isn't? Fridays usually seem to be the day for them these days, and from what I can tell all of the other DC previews are out alongside Action.