Page 57 of 208 FirstFirst ... 74753545556575859606167107157 ... LastLast
    THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    So we have three major Supermen in live action media: Hoechlin as Clark Kent on the CW, a black Clark Kent with Abrams/Coates, and a Val-Zod HBO Max series. We also have an Injustuce animated movie coming. On one hand, God help me, this means Taylor is already having a massive role in shaping Superman in the public eye. So perhaps that means Superlad is right and they’re already looking at this upcoming series as a source for adaption considering they’re drawing on Injustice and Earth 2. But I’m also wondering if this means Superlad is wrong, if they’re adapting takes on Clark Kent everywhere else, and Val for HBO Max, and Jon in the CW is powerless, where and when could they still be looking at this as an opportunity to adapt Jon Kent Superman? Just something I’m mulling over as we approach Taylor’s first issue.
    Well 5G was supposed to be a multimedia gunshot that would get fired off and they'd let God sort out the details. They've taken a more ginger approach with it now...but they're still taking it. Seems like they still have a vested interest in going down that way in multimedia...eventually.

Realistically-- with no wild theories or anything-- since this has been directly compared to the New 52 by the publisher itself, I figure that similar to the early New 52 they'll wait till at least an arc or two is under everyone's belts. Then they'll move it to animation-- likely the direct to video stuff. Then if the response is good they'll move it to the movies. But all the ducks are in a row for this outline. They have their boy Taylor, they have the adaptation god Bendis, and they have the actual award winning screen writer Ridley on their three biggest properties that they have the most vested interest in: Superman, Justice League, and Batman.

This wouldn't be the immediate future though (not in the next 3 or 5 years or something), but that's also likely why this is a "slow rollout". That lets them keep this phase of the DCU expanding and fresh for a good long while.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Quote Originally Posted by Quinlan58 View Post
    There'll be a Jon Kent Superman movie before 2034. Once it does exist, it will obviously take a lot of inspiration from Taylor's run because Taylor is establishing the foundations for what Jon Kent as Superman means. But I don't think such a movie is coming in the near future.
    I agree. The model follows too closely to what they did with the New 52 and Justice League War/Snyder's Justice League. Think of this Supergirl movie as Man of Steel (I see the Val-Zod limited show as something closer to Spider-Verse). It's a movie by a director and writer that's doing it's own thing, but optioned out by the heads to be a started to a new shared universe. Once the green light was given it was a race to basically adapt Johns New 52 modeled after the JL War cartoon movie.

So it'll certainly be a number of years, but the fact that the publisher compared 5G (and by proxy IF) to the New 52, AND Jim Lee literally said that DC is hear to provide material for adaptation leaves me nearly certain that the plan is still to eventually get here in the films...but just taking the long way about it. Otherwise, why would they even waste the time and money? WB likely wouldn't let them do something that's not eventually going to be adaptation friendly.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Fantastic Member oneveryfineday's Avatar

Man, at this point I’m surprised that Sasha’s Supergirl ISN’T Lara Kent, just to drive the point home.

Quote Originally Posted by garazza View Post
    Y'all thinking about movies? Damn, the first issue isn't even out yet.
    Yeah, things are on step 1 with this venture and thinking of a movie is step 1,332. What will the climate even be when Coates film is done, when Supergirl is done, when Val-Zod is done? Why not just go back to Clark with the alternates sufficiently played out by then for example? This is even considering any of these projects do remotely well to boot. What if they don't? Even more what if some get canceled before being made at all? Development hell can happen. The brand could easily disappear again from the big screen (big screen used loosely here, Val-Zod is HBO Max). There's lots of question marks here and a lot of time in the interim to make any declarations about movies.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 07-23-2021 at 04:07 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Fantastic Member oneveryfineday's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Yeah, things are on step 1 with this venture and thinking of a movie is step 1,332. What will the climate even be when Coates film is done, when Supergirl is done, when Val-Zod is done? Why not just go back to Clark with the alternates sufficiently played out by then for example? This is even considering any of these projects do remotely well to boot. What if they don't? Even more what if some get canceled before being made at all? Development hell can happen. The brand could easily disappear again from the big screen (big screen used loosely here, Val-Zod is HBO Max). There's lots of question marks here and a lot of time in the interim to make any declarations about movies.
    DC is probably anticipating the upcoming superhero era of legacies and spin-offs and new characters, which we’re kind of already there with Marvel going into phase 4 without their OGs and stuff like Spider-verse being popular. Which ones become successful and what the audience is in the mood for after that we don’t know yet, of course.
    Last edited by oneveryfineday; 07-23-2021 at 04:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Well for one do you remember how all this started? The trades put out articles about WB struggling with how to make Superman “relevant”. Making him black was what they decided on. If it succeeds why on Earth would they go back to the OG model which they have failed at time and time again? If there is another white Superman on the big screen I can totally get why it will be Jon. By the time a Jon movie even gets green lit S&L will probably be winding down and then they can piggyback off of that with a Jon Superman film. It wouldn’t be in the same continuity or with the same actor but it’s the same kind of thing they did with MoS when Smallville ended.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

The only two options for Clark and Jon aren't white or black. Dean Cain was a successful Superman and he is a POC. I don't see any reason Jon (or Lois or Clark) can't be any race.

Quote Originally Posted by witchboy View Post
    The only two options for Clark and Jon aren't white or black. Dean Cain was a successful Superman and he is a POC. I don't see any reason Jon (or Lois or Clark) can't be any race.
    True, Supergirl is Latina, but it’s rare for a character changed to black to go back to being white if the change was in a successful product, or to go from black to another race. Lois is Asian in MAWS though, so she’s already been changed for one upcoming product of media.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

https://aiptcomics.com/2021/07/23/dc...n-of-kal-el-1/

Hey first issue preview is up, got to say I love the character dichotomy here. I like that Diana and Bruce are singularly focused on how Jon could one day out class his father and be the worlds biggest hero, where as Clark and Lois are regular parents.

Clark worries because he doesn’t know how safe Lois will be is sweet, and Lois just wanting her son to simply be is great as well.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Incredible Member

I once again believe that the mentions (now by both Diana and Bruce) that this guy is "super-er than his father" are too blunt of a character shilling whne everything else about the context gets across how special he is far more tastefully.

But I do like Lois immediately cutting that talk off.

Other than that, it's pretty much a perfect introduction to "The Son of Superman" for new readers. Simplifies everything about his origin into something easily understood (even if I'll mourn the recognition of different phases in Clark's life that his Reborn origin had), adds the subtext of him being the successor to not just his father but the entire classic Age of Superheroes, gives us a picture of exactly what kind of parents Clark and Lois were to him, and hey, if someone likes being directly told how specialest a character is (which admittedly is not just a Jon deal but something recurring with the entire Superman IP if not the entire superhero genre), then there's that, too.

This preview along with Taylor's words and reexamining Jon's Infinite Frontier story has me rethinking everything I assumed regarding how PKJ and Taylor would mesh together regarding Jon.

I had the theory that Jon would be linked to the refugee Kryptonians via the Genesis Fragment and maybe even being the "sleeping god", but that's totally gone out the window due to how clear it is that Taylor wants to make sure this book stands on its own two feet and drives its own story. So the reason behind Jon's greater potential power likely is to do with his biology. The reason that Specture says he sees the makings of a "tyrant" in his is because PKJ was likely following Taylor's notes that this is the anti-Injustice.

But beyond all that, this preview has shown me that like few other characters, you NEED to see Jon Kent birth as part of his origin story. This is effectively the DCU version of Simba from Lion King being born. Like his father before him, Jon's origin starts with his two desperate parents doing something impossible and hoping that their child even makes it.

I now have a new way of looking at this book in relation to other books, and it's kind of freed me up as a fan. I'm no longer following clues before the thing even comes out. I'm going into this as open as a new reader ready for a new Superman.

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    This preview along with Taylor's words and reexamining Jon's Infinite Frontier story has me rethinking everything I assumed regarding how PKJ and Taylor would mesh together regarding Jon.

I had the theory that Jon would be linked to the refugee Kryptonians via the Genesis Fragment and maybe even being the "sleeping god", but that's totally gone out the window due to how clear it is that Taylor wants to make sure this book stands on its own two feet and drives its own story. So the reason behind Jon's greater potential power likely is to do with his biology. The reason that Specture says he sees the makings of a "tyrant" in his is because PKJ was likely following Taylor's notes that this is the anti-Injustice.

But beyond all that, this preview has shown me that like few other characters, you NEED to see Jon Kent birth as part of his origin story. This is effectively the DCU version of Simba from Lion King being born. Like his father before him, Jon's origin starts with his two desperate parents doing something impossible and hoping that their child even makes it.

I now have a new way of looking at this book in relation to other books, and it's kind of freed me up as a fan. I'm no longer following clues before the thing even comes out. I'm going into this as open as a new reader ready for a new Superman.
    That Lion King comparison makes me nervous, as that story was dependent on the death of the father.

Quote Originally Posted by witchboy View Post
    That Lion King comparison makes me nervous, as that story was dependent on the death of the father.
    Clark's "death" is already in play. He's leaving Earth and downgrading in power. Like Simba Jon has return to his homeland after coming of age away from it, and he now needs to assume the "throne".

PKJ is mixing the Lion king with the King Arthur myth. In the Arthur myth Arthur hurt badly in battle, and the creatures of Avalon come to take him away so he can rest and heal. It's effetely a death as Avalon is the great beyond. This is mirriored in PKJ's Action Comics where Jon says his dad is hurt fighting the creatures of the breach (which we see) and Kryptonians come down to take him away. Jon says that one sounds the "most true" for some reason, and we then see the refugees who are effectively going to take Clark away to the stars to free the rest of their people. Clark's leaving is the last records people have of him on Earth. Thus his "death".

This allows Clark to "die" as far as the comparison goes, but also continue to have adventures off world. It's pretty neat.

You know it’s funny how Bendis actually probably gave them an out with Clark’s “Death”...you know the whole the future is malleable because the past is so crazy with reality changes. Brainiac 5 showed him this in the history lesson for the Legion forming, but apparently Jon didn’t consider it.

Brainiac 5: “Umm Jon I hear you’ve been freaking out over your dad dying?”
    Jon: “I know I shouldn’t have but I just got looking at the history texts and...”
    Brainiac 5: “let me stop you there, Jon you do remember the whole thing where the future changes with the past right?”
    Jon: “yes”
    Brainiac 5: “so you do realize that means you’re Dad may not actually die from any of that because history could change right?”
    Jon: “......oh my god I’m an idiot”
    Last edited by sifighter; 07-23-2021 at 08:11 PM.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

To be fair, more than enough things seem to be lining up perfectly for Jon to reasonably freak out. And regardless, his dad is still leaving Earth and leaving him to live up to an impossible legacy and standard.

Either way his dad's not going to be in his life for the foreseeable future.