Page 7 of 208 FirstFirst ... 345678910111757107 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ilan Preskovsky View Post
    Also, when did Tom Taylor become such a hated writer? His work on the excellent DCeased alone shows how much he gets these characters and how good a writer he is.
    He's hated here, but in general fanbase really loves him actually. Twitter or reddit serve well as a living example of this.

Taylor is in most circles the Golden Retriever of comic writers. He seems like a genuinely good guy, writes stuff that sells well and is pretty well liked. He's good at the social media game too. The few times he's written a straightforward Superman story I have really enjoyed it. And this run seems right in his wheelhouse with All New Wolverine.

He got a lot of comicsgate hate a few years back for Laura Kinney and being labeled a "SJW" writer, but with that groups slide into irrelevancy even a lot of that has subsided. Though this is probably one of the more negative places on him now.
    Last edited by Yoda; 04-21-2021 at 11:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    I don't think the reaction is overly dramatic. That its not going to last forever is rather beside the point to me. This is clearly not intended to be short term. And that in of itself I see as a huge slap in the face and always will. It won't last, I understand that, but they'll force it as long as they can as they're obviously committed. They've been setting this up for at least two years if not longer, so commitment is clear. And any amount of meaningful time is too long to me.
    I sympathize. I can't believe there is a time where not only am I not interested in the Superman books but actively turned off by them. I just looked at a Morrison/Janin Superman book and said "yeah, hard pass". So I'm not too happy to see a solo book with Jon as Superman. I guess it will be a while before I'm reading Superman again (Clark, that is). I just can't get excited about this book. I even like Taylor and really enjoyed DCeased. I'm skipping this though.

I like Jon but never got into him. Here's hoping Taylor succeeds where others have misstepped. I don't mind Jon getting a solo but I wasn't invested in him becoming Superman II. Granted I'm the same way about Yara or Jace and I like them more.

Jon better face the Time Luchadores and I'm hoping Jon's beef with Trojan from Future State gets explored. Please make him more than just Jon's Luthor.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 04-21-2021 at 11:37 AM.

DC actually seems to have learned from the flameout of the New 52 with this. If you only want to read about the Clark Kent Superman, you have Action Comics and it's doing an epic Planet Hulk version of things. And it's set in space, with new casts, etc. You have Morrison on another book, staring Clark in a role he'll likely incorporate a lot of his own take into. And we have a Jon centric "new" Superman book that will likely be a new take on the old myth.

The one thing I am still not clear on is if the Morrison book is set in the Future State timeline or "present" - is that the "event" that PJK was talking about or is that still in the pipeline?
    Last edited by Yoda; 04-21-2021 at 11:44 AM.

I just want comics to get back to how they're supposed to be. Jon Kent shouldn't exist. Damian Wayne shouldn't exist. Jason Todd should be dead. Jace Fox should never be Batman. Yara Flor isn't Wonder Girl, Cassandra Sandsmark is. And Superman is Clark Kent forever!

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    I like Jon but never got into him. Here's hoping Taylor succeeds where others have misstepped. I don't mind Jon getting a solo but I wasn't invested in him becoming Superman II. Granted I'm the same way about Yara or Jace and I like them more.

Jon better face the Time Luchadores and I'm hoping Jon's beef with Trojan from Future State gets explored. Please make him more than just Jon's Luthor.
    Him being Superman II (emphasis on the "2" or preferably "Secundus") is fine by me, it's making him THE Superman that has rubbed this Superman fan raw. The last book I bought was Bendis' AC and Superman (and Imperious Lex for Lois) and that hurts me really. I want to start buying again but I'm hesitant. I hope Taylor can sell me on this but I don't know. I'll have to wait and see.

Quote Originally Posted by rpmaluki View Post
    Him being Superman II (emphasis on the "2" or preferably "Secundus") is fine by me, it's making him THE Superman that has rubbed this Superman fan raw. The last book I bought was Bendis' AC and Superman (and Imperious Lex for Lois) and that hurts me really. I want to start buying again but I'm hesitant. I hope Taylor can sell me on this but I don't know. I'll have to wait and see.
    I mean Clark is still Superman. It just seems like Jon is THE Superman of earth. So I guess you could still consider him Superman II :|

For the record I don't hate Taylor. This isn't a reflection of him, and if it seemed that way in my initial response it was just lashing out at the direction overall. I just hate Jon, nothing would be different for me regardless of writer. As it is though I don't end up reading much of his stuff just because I'm not into the content. I'm not into DCeased or Injustice. Now I've heard from second-hand from fellow readers whom I trust and respect that independently of all that and just on a basic characterization level, he tends to write Superman as a simp. I've seen a couple of examples first hand but again I'm not so super well versed as to completely judge. But at absolute worst I could say that if he was ever actively writing the actual Superman, I maybe would have some pause but still give it a chance.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    For the record I don't hate Taylor. This isn't a reflection of him, and if it seemed that way in my initial response it was just lashing out at the direction overall. I just hate Jon, nothing would be different for me regardless of writer. As it is though I don't end up reading much of his stuff just because I'm not into the content. I'm not into DCeased or Injustice. Now I've heard from second-hand from fellow readers whom I trust and respect that independently of all that and just on a basic characterization level, he tends to write Superman as a simp. I've seen a couple of examples first hand but again I'm not so super well versed as to completely judge. But at absolute worst I could say that if he was ever actively writing the actual Superman, I maybe would have some pause but still give it a chance.
    Yeah, Jon has been unnecessary from the beginning. There's no need for a Superboy who isn't Clark Kent. But I'll give his new series a shot, it can't be worse than grimdark Superman in the 2000s!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Superboy-Prime View Post
    Yeah, Jon has been unnecessary from the beginning. There's no need for a Superboy who isn't Clark Kent. But I'll give his new series a shot, it can't be worse than grimdark Superman in the 2000s!
    Your personal dislike for Jon does not mean he was “unnecessary.”

There are plenty of people who felt it was very necessary ACTUALLY for Lois and Clark to be free of DC’s stupid no kids mandate and to be allowed to have a child together—a plot thread that had been teased and dangled for decades.

This is FICTION. None of it is really “necessary” and it won’t be for everybody. But the fact that you personally don’t care to see Jon as Superman because you think only Clark Kent can ever be Superman (I don’t agree but that’s fine—a valid idea) doesn’t mean that the very idea of Jon is some kind of assault on the franchise as if people had not been begging for YEARS for Lois and Clark to be allowed to have kids.

The concept of Jon was put in place YEARS ago as early as Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow. You don’t have to like it but to act like his entire existence is some kind of assault on the franchise is disingenuous and doesn’t reflect the actual history of how any of this went down.

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    Taylor is in most circles the Golden Retriever of comic writers. He seems like a genuinely good guy, writes stuff that sells well and is pretty well liked. He's good at the social media game too. The few times he's written a straightforward Superman story I have really enjoyed it. And this run seems right in his wheelhouse with All New Wolverine.

He got a lot of comicsgate hate a few years back for Laura Kinney and being labeled a "SJW" writer, but with that groups slide into irrelevancy even a lot of that has subsided. Though this is probably one of the more negative places on him now.
    I think you were right when you wrote that we are probably the most jaded fanbase there is haha

I'm not really interested in Jon. Will it be canon?

Quote Originally Posted by Nelliebly View Post
    Your personal dislike for Jon does not mean he was “unnecessary.”

There are plenty of people who felt it was very necessary ACTUALLY for Lois and Clark to be free of DC’s stupid no kids mandate and to be allowed to have a child together—a plot thread that had been teased and dangled for decades.

This is FICTION. None of it is really “necessary” and it won’t be for everybody. But the fact that you personally don’t care to see Jon as Superman because you think only Clark Kent can ever be Superman (I don’t agree but that’s fine—a valid idea) doesn’t mean that the very idea of Jon is some kind of assault on the franchise as if people had not been begging for YEARS for Lois and Clark to be allowed to have kids.

The concept of Jon was put in place YEARS ago as early as Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow. You don’t have to like it but to act like his entire existence is some kind of assault on the franchise is disingenuous and doesn’t reflect the actual history of how any of this went down.
    Well, I said only Clark could ever be the true Superboy and Superman. But you're right about Lois and Clark having kids.

Quote Originally Posted by Superboy-Prime View Post
    I just want comics to get back to how they're supposed to be. Jon Kent shouldn't exist. Damian Wayne shouldn't exist. Jason Todd should be dead. Jace Fox should never be Batman. Yara Flor isn't Wonder Girl, Cassandra Sandsmark is. And Superman is Clark Kent forever!
    Comics back to how they're supposed to be? And how they should be? 6 panels in a 4 color page with a Superman that doesn't fly and who is a champion of the oppressed fighting agaisnt wife beaters, crooked politicians and dirty businessmen? A Captain America fighting against Nazis? A feminist Wonder Woman who defends the joys of submission to a loving authority? Just to be sure of what you mean.

Quote Originally Posted by Prime View Post
    I think you were right when you wrote that we are probably the most jaded fanbase there is haha

I'm not really interested in Jon. Will it be canon?
    I mean, we (and I include myself in that as well) kind of are. We're getting literally like 5 books staring different iterations of our favorite character this summer and you'd think DC just canceled all of them with the tenor of some of these posts. I get it, I was until this morning pretty negative on this new direction. But I'm kinda happy that Taylor is getting Superman because I think that will address my biggest complaint.

Yeah, it's canon. Jon will be set on Earth in Superman. Clark's story is going off planet for what sounds like a Planet Hulk style run in Action Comics. Clark is still Superman there too. Morrison's book still looks to me to be set in the future after Worlds at War, but I suppose it could be a lead in to that. The gray hair looks to me to put it well into the future though, likely after the Future Midnighter does whatever he needs to do here to avert that future from happening.
    Last edited by Yoda; 04-21-2021 at 12:17 PM.