Page 102 of 208 FirstFirst ... 252929899100101102103104105106112152202 ... LastLast
Results 1,516 to 1,530 of 3110

Quote Originally Posted by garazza View Post
    What's DC's definition of underperforming? Because I think a first issue of a bold new era written by one of their hottest writers only selling 54k is an underperformance.
    It sold out and went to second printing so I expect they’re happy. We’ll see how issue 2 does.
    Quote Originally Posted by garazza View Post
    DC would get a lot more attention if they made Jon come out as queer as a kid. I'm saying this as a gay man, but queer teens are a dime a dozen. A queer kid, though? A true diamond in the rough.
    I… I don’t really know how to put this. You get that Jon as he was when you liked him was straight, was never going to be anything but straight right? He was a chip off the old block, he had his childhood sweetheart in Kathy with Tomasi teasing that Kathy might be Jon’s endgame relationship in his glimpses of the future. He was going to take up his dad’s mantle and do things the same way his dad did. It was a nice, neat, “normal” idyllic 50’s Americana family.

Jon being anything but straight completely changes all that.

The type of people who would play the Rebirth status quo straight (no pun intended), aren’t the type of people who want a queer Jon or who have any interest in writing him. And the type of people who would want to write a queer Jon in that setting are going to deconstruct the everloving **** out of it, because that kind of setting isn’t very kind to real life queer people. What they’re doing with Jon is essentially making him a totally different character from Tomasi’s Jon, and I really don’t see how you can possible go back to the way things were. Maybe if they make him bi, and like Constantine’s bisexuality it’s ignored 99% of the time, but otherwise? There’s no going back.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Vathlonian View Post
    According to garreza’s world

People stopped buying IMMEDIATELY after its second printing

Which is patently false
    Sales always go down after a first issue. It's an extreme rarity it might as well be a miracle if sales actually increase after a first issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Journey View Post
    Where was Peter? Shit now I'm curious.... I might have to read this.
    Basically, Ock took over his body and convinced everyone he was Peter. Peter's consciousness was dormant for most of the arc and thought lost.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Incredible Member

How well the first issue sold isn't too relevant to speculate on how well this series will do commercially (but the first issue obviously sold very well, it was the biggest seller of the Superman line by all estimates and went to a second printing so we know it surpassed commercial expectations). Sales numbers for the second issue should give us a better idea.

Quote Originally Posted by oneveryfineday View Post
    From Jorge Jimenez’s Twitter.

https://twitter.com/JorgeJimenezArt/...832787973?s=20

I should have posted here since Taylor had this to add:

Really looking forward to this!
    It looks like with Williamson taking over Batman and bringing in a new artist there is hope yet for Jimenez to draw Jon once more
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    Basically, Ock took over his body and convinced everyone he was Peter. Peter's consciousness was dormant for most of the arc and thought lost.
    Ooh that actually sounds juicy!! Also kinda f*cked up I hope their was no ummm how do I put this... No WW 1984 shenanigans between the sheets if you know what I mean... It's Ock so he probably had self-control.

I personally think so far the art is the worst aspect of this book their faces just don't match so to speak.

Ooh that actually sounds juicy!! Also kinda f*cked up I hope their was no ummm how do I put this... No WW 1984 shenanigans between the sheets if you know what I mean... It's Ock so he probably had self-control.
    All things considered, he actually wasn't a terrible Spider-man. But uh...yeah...he wasn't Peter.

LMAO

The ****storm that erupted was insane.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Ock did start a full-lown romance with someone else while masquerading as Pete/Spidey. I can't explain everything here, so check out the link for my info. -

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Superior_Spider-Man
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

I personally think so far the art is the worst aspect of this book their faces just don't match so to speak.
    I think it'd be better if everyone didn't have the freakin Jay Leno syndrome with those big ass chins. Jawlines bout as strong as a linebacker.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue22 View Post
    I think it'd be better if everyone didn't have the freakin Jay Leno syndrome with those big ass chins.
    Hah! Timms seems to be going for a Bruce Timm-esque style, but yeah the “blockiness” can be off putting. He draws great action sequences though and I thought his Future State work was fantastic. The monthly grind just kind of wears on artists.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    LMAO

The ****storm that erupted was insane.
    Ohhh Ock!!! Noooooooo!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    Ock did start a full-lown romance with someone else while masquerading as Pete/Spidey. I can't explain everything here, so check out the link for my info. -

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Superior_Spider-Man
    Thank You I have to say after a quick Google......

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    It sold out and went to second printing so I expect they’re happy. We’ll see how issue 2 does.
    DC printing 54k issues and selling 55k (or any number above 54k) and thus necessitating a second printing is not necessarily good news. The first issues of Superman Rebirth and Bendis' Superman sold more than 100k, but they didn't get second printings. Tomasi and Gleason and Bendis both sold more than Taylor. I think DC expected SSoK would not sell as well as that, so they lowered their expectations and printed a smaller amount of issues, and SSoK only exceeded that lowered expectation.

I… I don’t really know how to put this. You get that Jon as he was when you liked him was straight, was never going to be anything but straight right? He was a chip off the old block, he had his childhood sweetheart in Kathy with Tomasi teasing that Kathy might be Jon’s endgame relationship in his glimpses of the future. He was going to take up his dad’s mantle and do things the same way his dad did. It was a nice, neat, “normal” idyllic 50’s Americana family.

Jon being anything but straight completely changes all that.
    Tim Drake was supposed to straight when he was introduced. He was supposed to be your everyday, relatable, white teen. Characters can grow past their initial creation. I grew up in the rural Midwest and my dad was a farmer. That didn't stop me from being gay and growing up into something not as a farmer. Kathy was the girl next door. She could've been the first person he told that he liked boys.

The type of people who would play the Rebirth status quo straight (no pun intended), aren’t the type of people who want a queer Jon or who have any interest in writing him. And the type of people who would want to write a queer Jon in that setting are going to deconstruct the everloving **** out of it, because that kind of setting isn’t very kind to real life queer people. What they’re doing with Jon is essentially making him a totally different character from Tomasi’s Jon, and I really don’t see how you can possible go back to the way things were. Maybe if they make him bi, and like Constantine’s bisexuality it’s ignored 99% of the time, but otherwise? There’s no going back.
    Bobby Drake was forcibly outed as a time-displaced teenager, and yet his older adult self is the one that is gay. Rebirth as a status quo was just as the name implied, a rebirth. If Rebirth was allowed to come to a natural conclusion, that would've allowed for other writers to carry forward the new ideas put out by Rebirth, such as Jon. PKJ would've been a great follow up in contrast to the more Earth-centric Superman Rebirth and I think Taylor would've been a great choice to succeed Tomasi on Super Sons.