Page 121 of 208 FirstFirst ... 2171111117118119120121122123124125131171 ... LastLast
Results 1,801 to 1,815 of 3110
    Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Iclifton View Post
    I think it is pretty clear that Jay and Jon's relationship is going to be romantic in nature. I like their dynamic and Jays interaction with Lois. I also liked Bendix and the entire sequence of Jon and Clark saving that building.

I thought he protest and the interaction with cops was pretty cringe. Taylors laying on the liberal politics pretty thick. I guess the same could be said in Nightwing but in that book it feels natural and in character. Here, not so much. The cop trying to hit the girl for nothing and arrest everyone for illegal gathering is pretty unrealistic. Feels like it was written by someone who has only seen limited Instagram clips of protests. Living in Seattle and Oregon during massive protests, that's not how it goes.
    I don't mind them having a relationship, but I hope Jon gets jay to get a haircut. Seems like he's hiding his face with his current design lol.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

So then it's all leading to some sort of team, right?

Bendix's human experiments are going to team up with Jon after he's saved them. And Jay is one of the experiments that already escaped. I'm still betting on him being Gamorra's son or grandson in addition to that. With the mask he wears and his words from issue 2, I'm going to guess that his power is chameleon-like and possibly teleportation. Jon was surprised by how Jay got on the roof AND how he could sneak up behind him. BUT Jay clearly seemed to enjoy flying as if he'd never done it before, so that rules that power out, so teleportation seems to be the likely answer.

It fits Bendix's mo in this era. Each post-human he creates seems to be built with a specific idea behind them rather than just being powerful in general. Jay could've been modified specifically for info gathering and spying. This seems to compliment his interest in reporting.

So I'm guessing that this team of refugee experiments Jon rescues will be his supporting cast or team in another book going forward (would be kind of wild if his solo had like half a dozen other super powered people as supporting cast). Genuinely wondering if they'll just call it Stormwatch? Or I guess "The Changers" (read Change or Die from Stormwatch) since this seems to be following that line fairly close.

I wonder if that's the secret Jon related book that Victor Bogdanovic is working on that he can't talk about yet? I mean, it's seeming like Jon doesn't want to join the JL even if Batman asks, and Clark said even tells him to go with his gut if he thinks its right or not. Plus, all the controversial actions Jon's likely to get up to will likely leave him at odds with the League similar to how Clark is (in the public eye). Would be crazy if Clark got The Authority and Jon gets Stormwatch.

All the while Lee going, "boy, it sure is crazy how that worked out, huh?"

I just wonder if Taylor would also write that or if they'd give it to someone else like maybe Yang or something since this may be what replaces Batman/Superman.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Astonishing Member The Frog Bros's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    So then it's all leading to some sort of team, right?

Bendix's human experiments are going to team up with Jon after he's saved them. And Jay is one of the experiments that already escaped. I'm still betting on him being Gamorra's son or grandson in addition to that. With the mask he wears and his words from issue 2, I'm going to guess that his power is chameleon-like and possibly teleportation. Jon was surprised by how Jay got on the roof AND how he could sneak up behind him. BUT Jay clearly seemed to enjoy flying as if he'd never done it before, so that rules that power out, so teleportation seems to be the likely answer.

It fits Bendix's mo in this era. Each post-human he creates seems to be built with a specific idea behind them rather than just being powerful in general. Jay could've been modified specifically for info gathering and spying. This seems to compliment his interest in reporting.

So I'm guessing that this team of refugee experiments Jon rescues will be his supporting cast or team in another book going forward (would be kind of wild if his solo had like half a dozen other super powered people as supporting cast). Genuinely wondering if they'll just call it Stormwatch? Or I guess "The Changers" (read Change or Die from Stormwatch) since this seems to be following that line fairly close.

I wonder if that's the secret Jon related book that Victor Bogdanovic is working on that he can't talk about yet? I mean, it's seeming like Jon doesn't want to join the JL even if Batman asks, and Clark said even tells him to go with his gut if he thinks its right or not. Plus, all the controversial actions Jon's likely to get up to will likely leave him at odds with the League similar to how Clark is (in the public eye). Would be crazy if Clark got The Authority and Jon gets Stormwatch.

All the while Lee going, "boy, it sure is crazy how that worked out, huh?"

I just wonder if Taylor would also write that or if they'd give it to someone else like maybe Yang or something since this may be what replaces Batman/Superman.
    It'd be pretty cool if both Clark and Jon have their own non-JL teams...
    “Look, you can’t put the Superman #77s with the #200s. They haven’t even discovered Red Kryptonite yet. And you can’t put the #98s with the #300s, Lori Lemaris hasn’t even been introduced.” — Sam
    “Where the hell are you from? Krypton?” — Edgar Frog

Damn the possibility of Yang writing Jon is one I didn’t even consider, would love to see what he’d do with Jon.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Astonishing Member The Frog Bros's Avatar

Thought the emphasis on Jay crushing way more on Lois than Superman was pretty funny. From an article/review on Bleeding Cool:

Turns out that for Jay Nakamura, having Lois Lane as a mother is a much bigger deal than Superman. Almost as if the comic should be called Superman: Son Of Lois Lane. Maybe for the sequel?
    https://bleedingcool.com/comics/jona...ents-spoilers/

Also liked the bit when Clark was like. "yeah Lois has been arrested a bunch of times..." heh.

Thought the opening action sequence in the apartment building was good too, particularly the rapid fire askew panels. I'd agree with others that the arrest scene was better in concept than execution.

Thought the "goodbyes" were also way better over in AC.
    “Look, you can’t put the Superman #77s with the #200s. They haven’t even discovered Red Kryptonite yet. And you can’t put the #98s with the #300s, Lori Lemaris hasn’t even been introduced.” — Sam
    “Where the hell are you from? Krypton?” — Edgar Frog

The arrest was the biggest letdown. The concept is so good, and really could've been an issue on its own, but here it's kind of just a footnote. And Clark's reaction, while cute, wasn't as nuanced as it could've been. We had the chance for a real meeting of the generations and eras of Superman, but Taylor seemed to sacred of leaving Jon and Clark on a note that was anything other they happy and supportive. And I don't get that since it doesn't have to be either or. I'd have rather there be some tension, but then have it all melt away as the two know it's the last night for a while.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Incredible Member

Thoughts on the issue:
    • It’s good to see Coast City.
    • Good choice by Taylor to have Jon angsting over his dad leaving soon while Clark is pretty clearly grooming him into New Superman (“You rescue everyone, son, not me”).
    • While faces are still a big problem, everything else in those rescue pages is pretty great.
    • “My dad is stopping it from toppling, but he can’t stop it form collapsing in on itself.” “I can see the supports starting to buckle and give way.” I’d say they’re not even remotely subtle, but compared to the previous issues this is the height of subtlety. Still a pretty cool way to frame it.
    • That depiction of super-vision is also very cool.
    • The design of that “Faultline” logo looks more like a clothes brand than any sort of superheroic/supervillainous logo. “You’re dressed like a super-villain” is also pretty interesting because… she’s really not, she looks more like the superheroic version of an athlete. I can only link that to the colors she’s using (green and purple, iconic colors for Superman villains), which once again reminds me of how we were speculating on Jay’s color scheme.
    • Clark taking Faultline to Star Labs… I know this is ignoring continuity to be as new-reader-friendly as possible, but it’s still funny when considering Clark had gotten to hate them so much he fantasized with destroying it in the last issues of Bendis’ run.
    • A maybe-hint for your “Jay can teleport” theory, Superlad: Faultline was teleported, and Bendix probably got her back by teleporting her again.
    • Speaking of Jay, Jon immediately drops everything when Jay calls him. It’s… not good, honestly, considering how obviously important his speculation on the possible connections between Faultline and the Man on Fire was. He comes across as more callous than probably intended.
    • I like how Jay first looks like a kid compared to Jon and then Jon finally lands and they look like peers.
    • I don’t know how American protests work, but I do know how they work in my country, and that’s… not it.
    • Oh man, that “I’m gathering with them” panel is awful. That should have been the most triumphant thing in the issue and it’s a mess.
    • Oh, hey, it’s Cat!
    • I’m always here for any reminder of how important the immigrant metaphor is to the Superman franchise.
    • You know what I would have liked? For Jon to say that, if everyone was going to be released, then he was going to stay until that ended.
    • In contrast to the previous situation, Jay does look like a kid next to Clark.
    • As someone else said, nevermind becoming fast friends, Jay’s speedrunning every “superhero love interest” trope in the book.
    • I have to say, I have seen that “random character is more awestruck at Lois Lane than at Superman” tons of times in fanfic. Good to see it in canon (even if I can’t get that fanfic vibe out of my head with that execution).
    • So Clark doesn’t have Pulitzers anymore.
    • Clark’s departure looks so random here, because they haven’t explained at all why he needs to leave Earth, or why he needs to leave at that exact same moment. Can’t even rely in the context of Action Comics because this happens very differently in Action Comics.
    • Clark’s talk with Jon is decent enough.
    • I’m getting serious Poochie vibes here. “I have to go, my planet- er, I mean, people need me.”
    • Well, I was expecting him to call Jon the “Man of Today”. I guess that may come later. “The Man of the Day after Tomorrow” just doesn’t have the same ring.
    • Okay, if he was always going to come back for Lois, why did Clark feel the need to fly to the edge of space?
    • The comfortable way Lois flies with Clark makes for a good contrast to how awkward Jay looked while flying with Jon.
    • That’s a good way to show the safety net is gone.

Overall, despite my problems, I enjoyed this issue a lot more than the previous ones. I was planning on dropping it here, but I guess I’m sticking a little longer.

The arrest was the biggest letdown. The concept is so good, and really could've been an issue on its own, but here it's kind of just a footnote. And Clark's reaction, while cute, wasn't as nuanced as it could've been. We had the chance for a real meeting of the generations and eras of Superman, but Taylor seemed to sacred of leaving Jon and Clark on a note that was anything other they happy and supportive. And I don't get that since it doesn't have to be either or. I'd have rather there be some tension, but then have it all melt away as the two know it's the last night for a while.
    Taylor can only write Clark one of two ways: Happy, kind, and dumb like a puppy or Murderman. You were never going to get a real argument between the two of them, Taylor doesn’t do genuine debate of ideals. That’s too high concept for him.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Taylor can only write Clark one of two ways: Happy, kind, and dumb like a puppy or Murderman. You were never going to get a real argument between the two of them, Taylor doesn’t do genuine debate of ideals. That’s too high concept for him.
    I was never quite on your vibe with Taylor's writing, but I could see where you were coming from. This however is a pretty bad look given the sheer strength of the idea and potential of the moments.

I'm still more than enjoying the book, but this kind of stung.

Quote Originally Posted by Quinlan58 View Post
    [*]The design of that “Faultline” logo looks more like a clothes brand than any sort of superheroic/supervillainous logo. “You’re dressed like a super-villain” is also pretty interesting because… she’s really not, she looks more like the superheroic version of an athlete. I can only link that to the colors she’s using (green and purple, iconic colors for Superman villains), which once again reminds me of how we were speculating on Jay’s color scheme.
    You bring up a very good point here! It reminds me of how Taylor said that Bendix would view people as commodities. I expect the idea to be that Bendix sells these post-humans on the black market, and he dresses them up and strips them of their names.

I'm even betting that "Jay Nakamura" isn't his real name, but rather they name he chose after finally getting away from Bendix.

[*]Oh man, that “I’m gathering with them” panel is awful. That should have been the most triumphant thing in the issue and it’s a mess.
    Like the jail bit it's a great idea that doesn't get its time. Taylor's sort of speedrunning some of this stuff, and it makes me wince a bit even if I'm still enjoying it as a whole.

So Cat is working at the Planet again and is now wearing glasses.

Quote Originally Posted by Quinlan58 View Post
    Can’t even rely in the context of Action Comics because this happens very differently in Action Comics.
    Yeah I read Superman just after Action and it really annoyed me, they don't even try anymore...

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    So Cat is working at the Planet again and is now wearing glasses.
    Didn’t she go back to the Planet during Johns brief New 52 run? Can’t remember if that stuck through Rebirth or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Didn’t she go back to the Planet during Johns brief New 52 run? Can’t remember if that stuck through Rebirth or not.
    When Rebirth started she was working somewhere else over in Supergirl. I think they tried to line it up with the CW Supergirl series. She was not at the Planet during Bendis' run, since he brought in his own "gossip" columnist.

I was never quite on your vibe with Taylor's writing, but I could see where you were coming from. This however is a pretty bad look given the sheer strength of the idea and potential of the moments.

I'm still more than enjoying the book, but this kind of stung.
    Putting my hateboner for Taylor aside (much as I can anyway), Taylor talent is that he’s very good at character writing. He’s good at getting people to care about characters they didn’t before, he’s good at writing emotional moments that tug at your heartstrings or make you tear up or laugh, he’s good at “oh s***” moments. He’s the successor to Johns style blockbuster writing I would say. Like Johns he’s not good at handling big ideas or deep concepts, he’s not a Hickman or a Morrison. It was my hope that Fraction would get Jon’s book because Fraction is good at both the character and the high concept storytelling. Taylor will give Jon a solid foundation and make people like him, but don’t hold out hope for him to do anything meaningful with Superman tackling the “real” problems.

However he will probably be able to cement that Jon is a Superman who will engage with those topics, so that hopefully a better writer down the line will get Jon and be able to do something meaningful with it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    When Rebirth started she was working somewhere else over in Supergirl. I think they tried to line it up with the CW Supergirl series. She was not at the Planet during Bendis' run, since he brought in his own "gossip" columnist.
    Yeah I remembered the new gossip columnist, couldn’t remember if Cat was still there. I prefer Cat running Catco, Grant as a professional rival to Clark and Lois is a fun concept.