Page 150 of 208 FirstFirst ... 50100140146147148149150151152153154160200 ... LastLast
Results 2,236 to 2,250 of 3110

Quote Originally Posted by Betinayen View Post
    Jon need to be more young and more modern
    Jon needs to be younger. Like...7-3 years younger.

But aside from that, he needs something that's all his and not Clark's...besides being Clark's son. He's got the costume that's damn near identical. He's stationed in the same city. Not really doing anything that Clark wouldn't/couldn't do or hasn't done before. And now he's got his reporter love interest. At the very least give him a major that has nothing to do with writing/journalism. That is, if there's ever any focus on his college life at all (and given how he seems to be glued to his Superman costume 24/7 I'm kinda doubting we'll actually see much of him in school)

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    I have pretty specific ideas on what Jon's job could and should be, and I think it'd be potentially really interesting, but I'm keeping that to myself.

But for now I think Jon going to college, being late for classes, going to parties, and having his first drink would be more than enough contrast and duality between being on as Superman and trying to just be a young adult growing up.

That said, I don't really agree with Taylor wanting to give Jon another secret identity with Jay's help. I think there are far more interesting opportunities for story and character if Jon has to try his best to balance being Superman and himself while he's the most famous person on the planet.

Like, you know how people that play superheroes in movies have to carry themselves differently in their public lives to protect that image and the vested interest of the studios? It's basically that. Tom Holland famously got a little drunk and called a boss at Disney. Like, imagine Jon at a college party taking a sip of beer and someone getting a picture of that and thus starting a whole media **** storm. Or people seeing that he got a B+ on a biology exam becomes national news because its like "is the new Man of Steel not all that bright?"

There's so much you can do with that because it really adds to the pressure of Jon's situation in a compelling way, and it makes his friends, family, and love interest all the more important because that's where he can really relax.
    Yes!! him being Jon Kent, he would have to give more and more of himself because people would demand that, , I would love it because it's very different from what we had with Clark and Clark's secret identity works well, but for Jon to be known to Everyone for being the Son of Superman works great too,There are so many possibilities for stories that can be told with Jon.. Oh Superlad sometimes I dream of your theories so good they are

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Blue22 View Post

But aside from that, he needs something that's all his and not Clark's...besides being Clark's son. He's got the costume that's damn near identical. He's stationed in the same city. Not really doing anything that Clark wouldn't/couldn't do or hasn't done before. And now he's got his reporter love interest. At the very least give him a major that has nothing to do with writing/journalism. That is, if there's ever any focus on his college life at all (and given how he seems to be glued to his Superman costume 24/7 I'm kinda doubting we'll actually see much of him in school)
    About him being in the same city as Clark, I don't think it's bad, despite being powerful, he's a 17 year old boy, Lois and Clark were already weird enough parents to let the boy go into space with the Jor El, I Think that metropolis is good for him ,But I agree with you about the rest of what you've written. Taylor once said he didn't want to write about another generic white savior But the bizarre thing is he made Jon "a generic white savior ,I hope some of the superlad's theories are applied to Jon and jon's stories are younger, more modern and not generic
    Last edited by Betinayen; 11-17-2021 at 07:51 AM.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

At the very least give him a major that has nothing to do with writing/journalism.
    I'd send him to a community college in the city. I went to a community college for a year and a half before switching to a traditional 4 year, and I can say with confidence that there's a very specific vibe to a community college that you don't get with a 4 year, and that vibe isn't something you really represented in fiction. A traditional 4 year is sort of like this closed off little pocket universe that's kind of divorced from the real world (especially if you live there). But a community college has the real world bleed into it. Your classes aren't just filled with people around your age, but rather people of all ages and walks of life. There's single moms, older people who have to complete certifications for the job they're at, and so on. And rather than wondering what party they're going to go to that night they're worried about what traffic is going to be like and real **** like that.

I think that would be really great place to have Jon interact with a whole collection of people. And I'd likely have him major in general studies to emphasis him trying to find his place.

Yes!! him being Jon Kent, he would have to give more and more of himself because people would demand that, , I would love it because it's very different from what we had with Clark and Clark's secret identity works well, but for Jon to be known to Everyone for being the Son of Superman works great too,There are so many possibilities for stories that can be told with Jon.. Oh Superlad sometimes I dream of your theories so good they are
    Yeah, I think the least interesting thing to do would be to give Jon a secret identity no matter what it happens to be because, like you said, that was Clark's thing and something important to Clark but it doesn't have to be Jon's thing. And THANK YOU! I see a lot of untapped potential in the character, and getting these fun little pitches/theories out is a way of expressing that when/if I don't get it from the actual comics, so I'm glad you like them.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Extraordinary Member

I guess Jon is a celebrity kid in a sense thats why he wanted the secret identity

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rac7d* View Post
    I guess Jon is a celebrity kid in a sense thats why he wanted the secret identity
    Yeah pretty much, and that's also why I don't think he should be written as getting to have one. It makes for a more compelling and unique story and take on the Superman idea if that's not something he can really have.

I also think it says something about how he and Clark operate. Just look at issue #2 where Jon gets a new secret identity. When the guy starts shooting Jon, on reflex alone, exposes his identity. That's not something Clark would do. Clark would've found some way to slip away and turn into Superman, or he'd have found a sneaky way to stop the shooting as Clark. Jon is far more brash and passionate, so it was easy for him to forget about the identity. It wouldn't make sense if just because Jay creates him a new identity Jon just suddenly wont do that.

And this is probably a big one, but, I mean, if you're going to make Superman bi and give him a boyfriend then shouldn't you keep his identity public, thus keeping that romance public? I mean, wouldn't it send the wrong message if Jon Kent/Superman were assumed to be straight by the public, but Jon's fake alter ego was the one allowed to kiss his boyfriend on panel?

You also miss out on potentially exploring the culture shock of the 21st century still being relatively close minded compared to the 31st century. You get to play out the real life drama going on RIGHT NOW about Superman being bi, because in the DCU Superman is a beloved public figure that many people have opinions and assumptions on, so they'd all have something to say about Jon's sexuality.

Then because of that you propel Jay's character into the forefront. He's someone that's been so concerned with hiding and keeping to himself and his inner circle, so it makes for a really compelling shift in his character if he has to deal with being Superman's Boyfriend to the public. How does that strain their relationship? How do they overcome that? There's just so much there that I can't for the life of be understand why Taylor would think it's a good idea to give Jon an secret identity now of all times.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

HE NEEDS TO GO INTO FASHION!! Imagine the headlines "SUPERMAN BECOMES FASHION ICON" he'd trend for weeks! I'm deadass about this Jon needs to go into a field that is so different from Clark & Lois it breaks the web.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Journey View Post
    HE NEEDS TO GO INTO FASHION!! Imagine the headlines "SUPERMAN BECOMES FASHION ICON" he'd trend for weeks! I'm deadass about this Jon needs to go into a field that is so different from Clark & Lois it breaks the web.
    I think he would be a great architect or an civil engineer , Maybe he prefers ​​medicine

Astonishing Member

Give him a team of underused/ underappreciated/ problem characters from other franchises and have them fight crime and go on adventures.

I think he would be a great architect or an civil engineer , Maybe he prefers ​​medicine
    That's so basic been done by many a hero's Jon's biggest problem is he lacks originality.

*obligatory Comixology Top 10 post*

SSoK is at 6, which is around where I usually see the book, but is quite low given the content of the issue but I've also seen the book make the jump to 1 a day or two after its release, so we'll see.

I'm surprised to not see Taylor's Marvel book, Dark Ages, in the top 10 or even top 20.

Quote Originally Posted by garazza View Post

SSoK is at 6, which is around where I usually see the book, but is quite low given the content of the issue but I've also seen the book make the jump to 1 a day or two after its release, so we'll see.

I'm surprised to not see Taylor's Marvel book, Dark Ages, in the top 10 or even top 20.
    I forgot Dark Ages cameout and was pushed back with all of Marvel's other events

And I'd likely have him major in general studies to emphasis him trying to find his place.
    Ahh, a useless major that nobody wants to hire.....that might be the most generationally appropriate idea I've ever seen for Jon.

I can say that, I first went to college for fine arts!
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by garazza View Post

Give it until tomorrow, that list still has last week’s Marvel releases. I usually wait until Thursday before even bothering to check that list since it’s usually not completely updated until then, and Weds is still NCB day for everyone besides DC.
    Given his interest in politics and social issues… how about law? He could still use his writing and reading skills he’s inherited from Lois but in a different context that serves his own interests. Jon needs a job he can do that isn’t a breeze thanks to his powers while still being of interest to the superhero narrative. Law could provide that.

Still hoping they make Calvin a lawyer pre-Presidency but I’ll take Jon as the Superman of the court as well.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Astonishing Member OopsIdiditagain's Avatar

I have pretty specific ideas on what Jon's job could and should be, and I think it'd be potentially really interesting, but I'm keeping that to myself.

But for now I think Jon going to college, being late for classes, going to parties, and having his first drink would be more than enough contrast and duality between being on as Superman and trying to just be a young adult growing up.

That said, I don't really agree with Taylor wanting to give Jon another secret identity with Jay's help. I think there are far more interesting opportunities for story and character if Jon has to try his best to balance being Superman and himself while he's the most famous person on the planet.

Like, you know how people that play superheroes in movies have to carry themselves differently in their public lives to protect that image and the vested interest of the studios? It's basically that. Tom Holland famously got a little drunk and called a boss at Disney. Like, imagine Jon at a college party taking a sip of beer and someone getting a picture of that and thus starting a whole media **** storm. Or people seeing that he got a B+ on a biology exam becomes national news because its like "is the new Man of Steel not all that bright?"

There's so much you can do with that because it really adds to the pressure of Jon's situation in a compelling way, and it makes his friends, family, and love interest all the more important because that's where he can really relax.
    Yes I would love to see Jon having a messy college life.
    december 21st has passed where are my superpowers?