Page 157 of 208 FirstFirst ... 57107147153154155156157158159160161167207 ... LastLast
Results 2,341 to 2,355 of 3110

Quote Originally Posted by charliehustle415 View Post
    I don't know why, but I am not gelling with Jon's face here.

Are they slightly changing Jon's ethnicity?
    Thought I was the only one. The way Moore and Timms have drawn his face have always given me “smug rich kid” vibes.

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Thought I was the only one. The way Moore and Timms have drawn his face have always given me “smug rich kid” vibes.
    Yeah, I think I am spoiled by Gleason and Jimenez's art of our boy

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by charliehustle415 View Post
    I don't know why, but I am not gelling with Jon's face here.

Are they slightly changing Jon's ethnicity?
    It’s the haircut, I miss his shag look, but we had to skip to his summer after freshman year cut

It's the haircut and facial features and expression. He looks like Chico Marx.

Quote Originally Posted by Rac7d* View Post
    It’s the haircut, I miss his shag look, but we had to skip to his summer after freshman year cut
    Lmao that’s so specific
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Astonishing Member OopsIdiditagain's Avatar

Yes, they are slowly making him Emo-American. These new bangs are just phase 1. Watch out for phase 2, hair dye.
    december 21st has passed where are my superpowers?

For those that are interest: Did DC Comics Change Superman Son Of Kal-El #6? Seems So (Spoilers)

The less mental bandwidth I dedicate to thinking about Damian showing up, the better my quality of life will be.

Quote Originally Posted by garazza View Post
    For those that are interest: Did DC Comics Change Superman Son Of Kal-El #6? Seems So (Spoilers)

The less mental bandwidth I dedicate to thinking about Damian showing up, the better my quality of life will be.
    I mean it could be post tournament arc, or when he stole Ra's ship after their training.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    I mean it could be post tournament arc, or when he stole Ra's ship after their training.
    More like, based on how Damian was written in the first issue, and combined with this leaked page, I am led to the conclusion that Taylor just doesn't know to write Damian, which I would be OK with because I can tolerate a cringe depiction of my favorite character, but I know some fans will put this book on the same level as Robin when the difference could not be more night and day. Just because Jon and Damian are on the same page doesn't mean they're written well or accurately reflect what the characters would normally do and say in that situation. It's such a cliche "Bro Moment," the kind that certain fans who ship slash pairings just gobble up, it's no wonder the book is hemorr*****g readers when it's more interested in Fan Service (and not even good Fan Service) than telling an actual story with plot development and character depth.

In Robin, Damian is in-character because he speaks in a way that only Damian speaks. "All my friends either abandoned me or grew up too fast" is such a Damian way of describing his predicament that "I'm really happy for you, man" leaves a little something to be desired. And I'm guessing that panel is the only highlight of the issue, too, the rest of the issue will be as unrelated to that as the kiss was to the rest of issue 5.

In Robin, Damian is in-character because he speaks in a way that only Damian speaks. "All my friends either abandoned me or grew up too fast" is such a Damian way of describing his predicament that "I'm really happy for you, man" leaves a little something to be desired. And I'm guessing that panel is the only highlight of the issue, too, the rest of the issue will be as unrelated to that as the kiss was to the rest of issue 5.
    That's not necessarily a bad thing. Taylor do need to juggle better the more super-heroic and activistic elements of Jon (who needs some more fire in his belly in my opinion, like he had in his FS solo series) and his personal life.

Astonishing Member Darkspellmaster's Avatar

More like, based on how Damian was written in the first issue, and combined with this leaked page, I am led to the conclusion that Taylor just doesn't know to write Damian, which I would be OK with because I can tolerate a cringe depiction of my favorite character, but I know some fans will put this book on the same level as Robin when the difference could not be more night and day. Just because Jon and Damian are on the same page doesn't mean they're written well or accurately reflect what the characters would normally do and say in that situation. It's such a cliche "Bro Moment," the kind that certain fans who ship slash pairings just gobble up, it's no wonder the book is hemorr*****g readers when it's more interested in Fan Service (and not even good Fan Service) than telling an actual story with plot development and character depth.

I think part of the issue is that Taylor hasn't really had time to get Damian's voice since he hasn't written him all that much. Although didn't he do a better job in other version of Damian? I think this might be Damian trying to try to express his feelings in a way that wasn't Damian, if that makes sense. I can almost see Rose or Connor, or looking up on line to see how to congratulate his best friend on this. He's what 14 now, so he probably wants to make sure Jon gets what he's saying. So while it's not "Damian like" it is still him trying.

I really really want this other book with them to come out by Tomasi because I feel like he'll find the right balance of voice between them.

Also has Williams tried to write any of Jon? I wonder if he'd end up with the same problem as Taylor trying to find a voice for Jon.

Incredible Member

Jon getting the cape back right after leaving it with Jay last issue just diminishes that moment into non-existence. The explanation to how Bendix took control over Gamorra was... well, frankly ridiculous. Jon was about to explain why he liked Jay but that got stopped for a best-friend-endorsement of the ship. It's been 2 issues since Bendix powered up Jon and nothing so far has justified it as anything other than a stupid choice from Bendix. Also, now we have American citizens being kidnapped so that they can be experimented on in a third-world country that the US apparently already controls.

Yeah, this is where I drop off. I was hoping issue 6 would bring some sort of climax to the storyline so that I could leave feeling like I got a full meal (even if not one I particularly enjoyed), but nah.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Quinlan58 View Post
    Jon getting the cape back right after leaving it with Jay last issue just diminishes that moment into non-existence.
    That doesn't make sense. Jon gave Jay his cape the same way a football player gives his significant other his lettermen jacket to hold onto for the day. Dude still gets his jacket back the same way Jon gets his cape back.

It's like how Clark would always get his cape back from Lois after letting her sleep in it or something. It's just a show affection that nonverbally confirms that Jon's dating someone.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Quote Originally Posted by Quinlan58 View Post
    Jon getting the cape back right after leaving it with Jay last issue just diminishes that moment into non-existence. The explanation to how Bendix took control over Gamorra was... well, frankly ridiculous. Jon was about to explain why he liked Jay but that got stopped for a best-friend-endorsement of the ship. It's been 2 issues since Bendix powered up Jon and nothing so far has justified it as anything other than a stupid choice from Bendix. Also, now we have American citizens being kidnapped so that they can be experimented on in a third-world country that the US apparently already controls.

Yeah, this is where I drop off. I was hoping issue 6 would bring some sort of climax to the storyline so that I could leave feeling like I got a full meal (even if not one I particularly enjoyed), but nah.
    The powering up was temporary and explained in the same issue : Bendix wanted him to exhaust himself and make mistakes so he'd be able to turn the public opinion against Jon. It's been repeated in this very issue also. I also feel like this one actually allowed Taylor to better set up Bendix' great goal - even if him taking over like that was dumb, yep.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Korath View Post
    The powering up was temporary and explained in the same issue : Bendix wanted him to exhaust himself and make mistakes so he'd be able to turn the public opinion against Jon. It's been repeated in this very issue also. I also feel like this one actually allowed Taylor to better set up Bendix' great goal - even if him taking over like that was dumb, yep.
    I'm aware that's the justification. I'm just saying it was stupid. If Jon had a little less control, Gamora would be gone. If Jon had a little more control, then Bendix just made his enemy more powerful while he's still in the same city. It required Jon to have exactly the level of control he showed to work, and while that's a reasonable expectation to have of Clark (who, after, has been around for years and thus his enemies know what he's capable of and what he's not capable of), it's a stupid risk to take with a kid they don't know yet. Nevermind the fact it also requires no one to help Jon in the meantime, and given the very first thing he did was contact another hero, the only reason it worked as "well" as it did was because Jon was being dumb and refused to ask for help (which, again, reasonable expectation to have of a known threat like Clark, but not of someone they know so little about like Jon).

So Bendix took a massive risk by powering up his enemy in the middle of his own territory to... give Jon bad publicity.