Page 158 of 208 FirstFirst ... 58108148154155156157158159160161162168 ... LastLast
Results 2,356 to 2,370 of 3110
    THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

This issue had a bit more to it than the last two, so that's something. I also semi called the fact that Jay's family would be linked to the rightful rulers of his country. I continue to think that there's a very, very real chance that Jay takes over his country as the new president and takes the 5G Magneto spot that would've been Damian's. He now even has his oncoming army of "mutants". It's all lining up pretty well.

It's even similar in the fact that Leviathan was taken from Damian's mom by an outsider, and then Damian would've returned as sort of this dark Simba to take it back as the rightful head. Jay potentially in that right now, and it makes his character finally grab my interest.

I also had an observation/theory

I do wonder if maybe the fact that Jon didn't go to sleep when attacked by Bendix's main post-human dude has less to do with his Kryptonian powers and more to do with what made that homeless boy wake up early? Like, there seems to be some sort of "x gene" equivalent in humans that Bendix is harvesting, and maybe Jon's human side is going to play more of a part in the reason for him being stronger than Clark than we thought.

Remember how all of a sudden Taylor wants to use the term "post-human" rather than usual DC term "metahuman"? And Jon and other characters seem to only be using it in relation to the Bendix creations as if there's something specific about them that sets them a part from metas.

What if Jon gets his "post-human" gene activated by Bendix or even his 18th birthday (which Taylor has underlined about 3 times now in interviews and Twitter), and that makes him both Kryptonian and post-human?

It really hammers home the Professor X and Magneto idea a whole lot more since Jon will have a very tangible link to these people.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Quote Originally Posted by Quinlan58 View Post
    So Bendix took a massive risk by powering up his enemy in the middle of his own territory to... give Jon bad publicity.
    It's very very dumb, yes.

But there's also the chance that this was maybe an experiment by Bendix. At the end of the issue he says that Jon is too powerful, and that the rest of the superheroes are too powerful as well, but that it'll soon change with The Rising (as we see all of his Post-Humans).

My guess is that maybe Bendix wanted to see to see the upper limits that were possible with Kryptonian powers, and the get data on how that would stack against The Rising? Currently Jon seems to be able to shrug off the power of all the current Post-Humans made by Bendix simply because he's so powerful as a Kryptonian, but maybe this Rising batch will take the data gathered and be too much for *just* Kryptonian powers?

So maybe that leaves us with the idea that the only way to combat these new and more powerful Post-Human will be for Jon to become one himself?
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by OopsIdiditagain View Post
    Yes, they are slowly making him Emo-American. These new bangs are just phase 1. Watch out for phase 2, hair dye.
    It’s not enough? Wiccan has the same haircut

This comic has no substance, also I feel like my theory is coming correct they made Jon Bi & thought that would be enough & they wouldn't have to do anything else with him as far as personality he's still as bland as sandpaper.

Eye-rolling bajuszbetyár The Invincible Beawulf's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    This issue had a bit more to it than the last two, so that's something. I also semi called the fact that Jay's family would be linked to the rightful rulers of his country. I continue to think that there's a very, very real chance that Jay takes over his country as the new president and takes the 5G Magneto spot that would've been Damian's. He now even has his oncoming army of "mutants". It's all lining up pretty well.

It's even similar in the fact that Leviathan was taken from Damian's mom by an outsider, and then Damian would've returned as sort of this dark Simba to take it back as the rightful head. Jay potentially in that right now, and it makes his character finally grab my interest.

I also had an observation/theory

I do wonder if maybe the fact that Jon didn't go to sleep when attacked by Bendix's main post-human dude has less to do with his Kryptonian powers and more to do with what made that homeless boy wake up early? Like, there seems to be some sort of "x gene" equivalent in humans that Bendix is harvesting, and maybe Jon's human side is going to play more of a part in the reason for him being stronger than Clark than we thought.

Remember how all of a sudden Taylor wants to use the term "post-human" rather than usual DC term "metahuman"? And Jon and other characters seem to only be using it in relation to the Bendix creations as if there's something specific about them that sets them a part from metas.

What if Jon gets his "post-human" gene activated by Bendix or even his 18th birthday (which Taylor has underlined about 3 times now in interviews and Twitter), and that makes him both Kryptonian and post-human?

It really hammers home the Professor X and Magneto idea a whole lot more since Jon will have a very tangible link to these people.
    Do we really need the X-men/mutants in the DC universe? Somehow I don't like the idea.
    BL and comics fan. 🌈 ----- For those saying BL is "pandering to fujos! Too girly! It's fetishization!!!" --> https://www.fujoshi.info/ (a website with academic resources on Queer Media Studies in Asia and LGBTQIA+ history)

The queer body has been used as a battleground, has been criminalized, ostracized, and many times erased from their own histories. -- Alesha Byrne (University of San Francisco)

Quote Originally Posted by The Invincible Beawulf View Post
    Do we really need the X-men/mutants in the DC universe? Somehow I don't like the idea.
    Hasn’t that already existed for decades with the whole Meta-human gene that was revealed in Invasion?

Basically the idea that parts of humanity will just develop superpowers under great stress or harm? I believe that’s how Black Canary’s powers were explained
    Last edited by sifighter; 01-04-2022 at 11:43 AM.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    Hasn’t that already existed for decades with the whole Meta-human gene that was revealed in Invasion?
    In his speculation, Superlad makes a difference between meta-humans & post-humans. By 'mutants' I meant these post-humans, not metas.

IMO, DC's meta-humans may be the equivalent of Marvel's mutants & human mutates - so yeah, basically you're correct. I just don't wanna a post-human group besides the meta group - I think the metas are just fine.
    BL and comics fan. 🌈 ----- For those saying BL is "pandering to fujos! Too girly! It's fetishization!!!" --> https://www.fujoshi.info/ (a website with academic resources on Queer Media Studies in Asia and LGBTQIA+ history)

The queer body has been used as a battleground, has been criminalized, ostracized, and many times erased from their own histories. -- Alesha Byrne (University of San Francisco)

I'm not particularly a fan of the idea either, but if it does come to pass I'll bet you pretty much anything that part of the reason it's been reimagined for Jon has to do with him being bi.

Follow me for a sec...

As you may or may not know, the X-Men aren't *just* recognized as a metaphor for race and civil rights. A big aspect of if is that it's a metaphor for the LGBTQ+ community. The idea of finding out that something deep inside you and out of your control makes you feel different from people around you, and then sometimes having to hid that aspect of yourself to fit in.

Even though the idea of Jon being bi was a very recent thing, and was not part of the plan for 5G, the X-Men/Professor X idea was. My guess is that Taylor likely said lets take it a step further and get REAL ON-THE-NOSE about it by making mutants for the DCU, and making Superman one of them.

________

I'm betting the new Post-Humans are going to be a big hot button debate with the DCU, and they're going to protested against and discriminated against.

But then Jon, while holding Jay's had or something, comes out to the world as Post-Human too.

This is the most likely way that Taylor will go about addressing Jon's queerness in universe without having to contrive a reason for Jon to announce to the world that he's bi. This metaphor allows Taylor to play with the idea of discrimination without having to have some guy in an issue go "ha! look! Superman's a sissy". Taylor has consistently written Jon and Jay's relationship as not actually a big deal. And he consistently talks about how he doesn't want Jon to be "the bi Superman", but rather "Superman who happens to be bi". But he's gonna find a way to milk that discrimination angle, and I'm about 75% sure this is how he'll do it.

In his speculation, Superlad makes a difference between meta-humans & post-humans. By 'mutants' I meant these post-humans, not metas.

IMO, DC's meta-humans may be the equivalent of Marvel's mutants & human mutates - so yeah, basically you're correct. I just don't wanna a post-human group besides the meta group - I think the metas are just fine.
    Metahumans as a term have pretty much been reduced to just another word for superhumans or powered people. Superman has even been called a meta even though that makes no sense.

So that basically means DC has space for a more direct comparison to mutants.

I mean, this is the same company that gave the green light to the Damage (Hulk), Sideways (Spider-Man), and Terrifics (Fantastic Four) books. And during that time they actively tried create their own take on mutants via the Dark Multiverse putting out energy that changed people in the normal DCU, but that didn't catch on.

I have such little doubt in my mind that they wouldn't just try again, but this time with a bigger anchor in the form of Superman. Remember, Taylor himself even said that this book is something that will change the DCU.

Even though I personally wouldn't advise it, it makes perfect sense why a rival comic publisher would want to try an cash in on one of-- if not the biggest-- ideas in comic history. Even if it's transparent as all hell, it's still worth a shot especially if they can anchor it down to a single popular character. A mutant equivalent also means an endless well of IPs who need not extra explanation outside of "they're a post-human".

Personally, I think the far more subtle and unique idea they for 5G with Jon and Damian as Professor X and Magneto was cooler. It didn't make it look like they were caught red handed with their hands in the cookie jar, but rather just taking general inspiration from a specific dynamic and the idea of an ideological divide.

Funny. DiDio was the subtle one showing restraint here. Let that sink in for a moment...

I'm not particularly a fan of the idea either, but if it does come to pass I'll bet you pretty much anything that part of the reason it's been reimagined for Jon has to do with him being bi.

Follow me for a sec...

As you may or may not know, the X-Men aren't *just* recognized as a metaphor for race and civil rights. A big aspect of if is that it's a metaphor for the LGBTQ+ community. The idea of finding out that something deep inside you and out of your control makes you feel different from people around you, and then sometimes having to hid that aspect of yourself to fit in.

Even though the idea of Jon being bi was a very recent thing, and was not part of the plan for 5G, the X-Men/Professor X idea was. My guess is that Taylor likely said lets take it a step further and get REAL ON-THE-NOSE about it by making mutants for the DCU, and making Superman one of them.

________

I'm betting the new Post-Humans are going to be a big hot button debate with the DCU, and they're going to protested against and discriminated against.

But then Jon, while holding Jay's had or something, comes out to the world as Post-Human too.

This is the most likely way that Taylor will go about addressing Jon's queerness in universe without having to contrive a reason for Jon to announce to the world that he's bi. This metaphor allows Taylor to play with the idea of discrimination without having to have some guy in an issue go "ha! look! Superman's a sissy". Taylor has consistently written Jon and Jay's relationship as not actually a big deal. And he consistently talks about how he doesn't want Jon to be "the bi Superman", but rather "Superman who happens to be bi". But he's gonna find a way to milk that discrimination angle, and I'm about 75% sure this is how he'll do it.

Superlad, I think you just perfectly elaborated on my major concern with this whole post-human thing. I'm sweating to add something constructive to your comment but I can't. Some pple asked here when SSOKE would get a new penciller. I wanna know when the book will get a new writer

Incredible Member

I can`t put my finger on it, but I am just not really loving this book so far. It`s okay but nothing to write home about. Maybe I`m just not attached to this version of Jon, I went into with an open mind, but I seriously miss Clark as mainline Superman. I'm gonna have to check out Kennedys run.

The main plot is moving at a snails pace. In Nightwing its not really a hindrance for me because there are a lot more sub-plots and the characterization is so strong. In this book Jon is questioning Supermans role in the world but has made no real definitive decision or progress as to how to tackle it. At least Taylor had Dick start the Pennyworth Foundation by the end of the first arc. In this book it almost feels like Jon is speaking in slogans, he does not feel like a fully realized character. At least to me anyway.

I do like Jay though. Hope he grows into a Magneto like role.

Quote Originally Posted by Iclifton View Post
    I can`t put my finger on it, but I am just not really loving this book so far. It`s okay but nothing to write home about. Maybe I`m just not attached to this version of Jon, I went into with an open mind, but I seriously miss Clark as mainline Superman. I'm gonna have to check out Kennedys run.

The main plot is moving at a snails pace. In Nightwing its not really a hindrance for me because there are a lot more sub-plots and the characterization is so strong. In this book Jon is questioning Supermans role in the world but has made no real definitive decision or progress as to how to tackle it. At least Taylor had Dick start the Pennyworth Foundation by the end of the first arc. In this book it almost feels like Jon is speaking in slogans, he does not feel like a fully realized character. At least to me anyway.

I do like Jay though. Hope he grows into a Magneto like role.
    Yeah, personally, I wouldn't mind a Magneto - Prof X kinda dynamic between Jay & Jon.

I can absolutely recommend PKJ's Action Comics. The current Mongul/Warworld arc has been brilliant so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Journey View Post
    This comic has no substance, also I feel like my theory is coming correct they made Jon Bi & thought that would be enough & they wouldn't have to do anything else with him as far as personality he's still as bland as sandpaper.
    Taylor rights him as General Hero Man Who Is Good And Nice, and it's truly glaring when he finally has an internal thoughts we can read. It may as well just say "what do you suppose a flying guy with a cape would say right here" rather than Taylor actually writing anything.

Once again, I don't care what anyone says, Bendis did this a lot better. In Legion Jon was kind of a charming little horny dork who was easily distracted and hardly ever listened to his team. He had kind of this casual vibe that was just shy of skater kid. And that casual air was helped along by the fact that he assumed himself physically invincible most of the time. He'd often even trivialize the literal life or death space wars they were in and say things like "I think I'm just gonna super speed and end this, okay?" Mon-El may have been a dick about it, but very clearly the apple didn't fall too far from the tree because Jon was flippant and disobedient in his own way...just nicer about it.

Fairly certain Bendis was setting Jon up for the big fall where he gets his arm taken, and that would've shown him that he's not as invincible as he assumed. Shame we didn't get to that moment because of all the behind the scenes stuff. Jon has basically no moments of real pathos on such a level in his publication so far, and it's starting to get really glaring. He doesn't even have a classic knock-down-drag-out fight to his name. That's why I respect the hell out of Bendis for being willing to put him through it.

Superlad, I think you just perfectly elaborated on my major concern with this whole post-human thing. I'm sweating to add something constructive to your comment but I can't. Some pple asked here when SSOKE would get a new penciller. I wanna know when the book will get a new writer
    Oh I'm ready for both!

Inherently the idea baaaaad, but it's just so damn cringe that there's only a few situations where it actually feels good.

I'll give it a shot because I support the hell out of Jon Kent, and there is a chance that SOMEONE could come in later and make the idea not so cringe, but it'll be hard to get through it if it hits as bad as I feel like it could.

At the very least SOMETHING is finally being set up in this book after 5 issues. And it's something that isn't just a remix of Clark-- I'll for sure give Taylor that for better or worse.

Fairly certain Bendis was setting Jon up for the big fall where he gets his arm taken, and that would've shown him that he's not as invincible as he assumed. Shame we didn't get to that moment because of all the behind the scenes stuff. Jon has basically no moments of real pathos on such a level in his publication so far, and it's starting to get really glaring. He doesn't even have a classic knock-down-drag-out fight to his name. That's why I respect the hell out of Bendis for being willing to put him through it.
    I love the idea that superpeople aren't invincible but vulnerable (either physically or psychologically). Btw isn't Jon too OP in SSOKE?