Page 18 of 208 FirstFirst ... 81415161718192021222868118 ... LastLast
    The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by oneveryfineday View Post

I like the Future State suit, but I’d like to see something new too.
    Future state ww/superman one wasn't for me.Superman of metropolis all the way.Capless jon is kickass.
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"

I'd prefer something new if they're doing this. His Man of Metropolis suit was good but still too close to the standard Superman. So far he's yet to have anything as good as what he wore when he returned from the Bendising. It was recognizable enough as being related to Superman but it was still his own style. Like Conner's costumes.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue22 View Post
    I'd prefer something new if they're doing this. His Man of Metropolis suit was good but still too close to the standard Superman. So far he's yet to have anything as good as what he wore when he returned from the Bendising. It was recognizable enough as being related to Superman but it was still his own style. Like Conner's costumes.
    It was too much like "sidekick look" .It's like naruto in his normal suit.It lacked the badass factor.Superman of metropolis felt like naruto in his sagemode.Superman of metropolis was straightup fire.It's basically,the old suit but tights.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    I believe Superman ‘78 is an ongoing yep.
    So books that will star Clark Kent as Superman:
    Action
    Superman & The Authority
    Red & Blue
    Justice League
    Justice League: The Last Ride (Chip Zdarsky Elseworld JL story)
    Justice League Infinity (DCAU comic continuation)
    And there may be more books that spin out of whatever PKJ’s Sept Superevent is.

Yeah Waid’s still not a sure thing, but he did seem pretty confident in saying discussions were going well, and that maybe in six months we’d know if he’s doing it or not. If he doesn’t get a book I hope they’re at least talking to other people. That S&L:Ignition pitch absolutely needs to get made at some point because it sounds amazing.
    If Clark's going off world, he's probably leaving Bendis's JL team. Same goes for Flash - I can see Jon and Wally taking Clark and Barry's places.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Spectacular Member Kara Danvers's Avatar

The future Batman is a black man. The future Woman Woman is a Latina. The future Superman is a white dude.

DC shouldn't get a new Superman, it should be Clark. But if they have to, at least inject some diversity and do something creative.

Superman & Lois's son becoming Superman is a slap in the face of what Superman is and what he stands for.

Superman is a miracle. His desperate parents on Krypton saving him against all odds and then the Kents raising him to become the greatest hero in the Universe. They weren't the greatest at anything, they weren't special, they were just an ordinary couple, ordinary farmers they didn't have access to super science or super tech, they couldn't get help from other superheroes or have great privilege.

From his parents on Krypton saving him to the Kents raising him. Superman is a miracle. It is not a title that you inherit because you're next in line.

Jon should be his own superhero, not Superman. He was raised by the greatest and most admired superhero in the DCU and the best journalist in the DCU. He is their biological son and his parents have access to everything the Kents didn't. He is what the next Superman shouldn't be.

Superman can work as a legacy role but this turns it into nepotism.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    If Clark's going off world, he's probably leaving Bendis's JL team. Same goes for Flash - I can see Jon and Wally taking Clark and Barry's places.
    Well, it's Bendis, he's normally just ignoring everything that's not written by him and does whatever he wants.

Quote Originally Posted by Kara Danvers View Post
    The future Batman is a black man. The future Woman Woman is a Latina. The future Superman is a white dude.

DC shouldn't get a new Superman, it should be Clark. But if they have to, at least inject some diversity and do something creative.

Superman & Lois's son becoming Superman is a slap in the face of what Superman is and what he stands for.

Superman is a miracle. His desperate parents on Krypton saving him against all odds and then the Kents raising him to become the greatest hero in the Universe. They weren't the greatest at anything, they weren't special, they were just an ordinary couple, ordinary farmers they didn't have access to super science or super tech, they couldn't get help from other superheroes or have great privilege.

From his parents on Krypton saving him to the Kents raising him. Superman is a miracle. It is not a title that you inherit because you're next in line.

Jon should be his own superhero, not Superman. He was raised by the greatest and most admired superhero in the DCU and the best journalist in the DCU. He is their biological son and his parents have access to everything the Kents didn't. He is what the next Superman shouldn't be.

Jon is miracle.He wasn't supposed to exist.Also,there is entire dynasty of supermen.Jon is just the progenitor.
    I would appreciate an asian superman,though.if we are going that way.

behold raitaro,the son of raijin sent to earth to a couple of farmers.

Astonishing Member OopsIdiditagain's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    Jon is miracle.He wasn't supposed to exist.Also,there is entire dynasty of supermen.Jon is just the progenitor.
    I would appreciate an asian superman,though.if we are going that way.
    Kenan Kong:

december 21st has passed where are my superpowers?

Quote Originally Posted by OopsIdiditagain View Post
    Kenan Kong:

Kenan's great,but he's chinese.On top of that,he feels westernised sometimes.

Astonishing Member OopsIdiditagain's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    Kenan's great,but he's chinese.On top of that,he feels westernised sometimes.
    You should say "I want a Japanese Superman" lol. Westernised is the last thing I would call Kenan.
    december 21st has passed where are my superpowers?

I was hoping for an South Asian or Arab Superman but DC were cowards when it came to using this guy so I wouldn't get my hopes up.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbr...superhero/amp/

https://comicsalliance.com/superman-712-muslim/

Oh well, Jon will have to do.

Quote Originally Posted by manofsteel1979 View Post
    The New 52 and specifically the Superman we got out of it maybe wasn't as much DiDio but Warners wanting a cooler and hipper character to tie to the iconography of that ever present and marketable "S" .
    I'd honestly trace it back to Byrne. Well not him specifically, but whoever green lighted his take.

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    Didio was sort of famous within the industry for being willing to play the heel to take the heat for things that weren't necessarily his idea. But he's also on record as wanting to dissolve the marriage and things like that as far back as Infinite Crisis.
    If I'm not mixing things up Didio became executive editor a year or two before Infinite Crisis so I'd reason that by that time he was already representing company in general and not only himself. Thou it is always a question if he started pushing these ideas only because higher up wanted him to do that or was he put in that position in the first place because his ideas aligned pretty well with theirs. Chicken/egg and all that.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Some of it may be WB, but the question that raises in my mind if it’s them is “why are they doing this with Jon rather than waiting for the Abrams reboot and then creating a Superman off of that?” since I’m sure they’ll want some synergy with whatever Abrams decides to do.
    If Abrams is doing black Superman then it would explain why Calvin is starting to show up more frequently now and it feels like we might even get Justice Incarnates book at some point.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by oneveryfineday View Post

I like the Future State suit, but I’d like to see something new too.
    Would Jon work with trunks?

Extraordinary Member

It be nice if his mom made him somthing like Clark’s did

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Kara Danvers View Post

This is a problematic comment that highlights just how strong the whip lash is regarding how both DC and fandom treats Lois Lane. I think you mean well but this hits wrong.

For decades, fans of Lois have been subjected to near relentless misogyny directed towards her and about her. She’s not good enough for Superman. She’s too bossy. She’s a ****. They shouldn’t be married. They shouldn’t be allowed to have kids. They should be infertile. She should die. Undo the marriage. She’s weak. She’s useless. She’s nothing but a damsel in distress. She’s mean. She isn’t worthy of him. She should appear less. She’s too old. She’s not as hot as Wonder Woman or Lana. Kill her off. Kill her pregnant. Kill her in every AU. Take her son from her. Make her infertile, have her apologize to him for it and then kill her off and give him kids with another woman just to really rub it in. (That’s literally the plot of Kingdom Come)

We’ve heard it ALL. The Lois fans have heard every last misogynist insult against her for decades. We’ve seen her crapped all over, shunted out of her own books and just generally degraded publicly by men within WB and DC for years. But NOW. Now it’s all about how she’s the greatest journalist in the world and this is nepotism and her son doesn’t “deserve” to carry the mantle that she helped build.

I call BS on this. As both a long time defender of Lois Lane and as a MOTHER myself. BS.

You can’t have it both ways. The fandom doesn’t get to spend literally decades abusing this female character to the point that her fans have become so jaded and braced for the misogyny that we just expect it now and then turn around and frame her son this way as some example of privilege. It’s not fair, it’s not accurate and it’s not the history.

Jon Kent ::is:: a miracle. He’s the child of a couple previously deemed infertile by a lot of sexist, crappy writing about both infertility and marriage. The very fact that he exists given all the YEARS Lois was punished by writers and fandom as some useless woman who would “surely die during sex” or AU’s where she was killed by her own child or games where she was murdered pregnant. It’s a miracle Dan Jurgens was able to give her a son that DC didn’t use against her in some vicious way. It’s a miracle we have actually overcome years of this crap and guess what? The jokes about how she should be dead and Jon shouldn’t exist bc she should be infertile are still all over the internet which is disgusting.

Nepotism is not simply the idea that you follow in a parents’ footsteps. It has to do with actively disenfranchising more deserving and qualified people from an equal opportunity. You cannot and should not weaponize legitimate social justice language and then misuse it as you do here. Superman is not a job that people apply for it’s a FAMILY crest with a Family symbol on the chest. It is not Harvard. It is not an elected position. It is not a corporation. It’s not a PAID job you apply for. It’s a call to humble SERVICE with a FAMILY crest.

Superman is not a mantle that Clark Kent EARNED anymore than anyone else. Which btw is fine! He became Superman because it was an extension of his heritage from the House of El and a way to use his extreme physical gifts to help people in need. Kara did the same when she chose to wear the family crest. Neither of them needed to earn the right to wear their family shield and help people in need—-they chose to do it because it was the right thing to do.

Jon Kent has just as much right to wear his family’s crest on his chest as his father and cousin did. That is his heritage too. It belongs to him as it would anyone from the House of El. He has every right to wear a symbol that not only is his heritage but also a mantle that his mother helped build with honor. That is not nepotism because, again, that’s not what nepotism MEANS when we talk about nepotism disenfranchising people for opportunities. He doesn’t need to earn his heritage anymore than Clark or Kara did—it belongs to him and can’t and shouldn’t be stolen.

How Jon will operate in this role remains to be seen. He may fail, he may succeed. We have no idea yet. Which is the point of this story, I suppose. To watch him try. But it’s most definitely not ok to reframe the decades of relentless misogyny that both Lois and their relationship endured and how it distinctly tied to kids like this. I’m an infertility survivor myself and I take it extremely personally that you would attempt to erase just how insensitively that issue had been handled by DC Comics for years on end. Maybe you just genuinely don’t know all this history? I don’t know. But you should step back here and think about it.

There is a lot of desperation involved for those of us told we can’t have children. The way DC Comics handled Lois and Clark’s fertility over the last few decades was ::genuinely:: triggering for some people. And just because you personally don’t ::understand:: that does not make it not real.
    Last edited by Nelliebly; 04-23-2021 at 07:17 AM.