Page 2 of 208 FirstFirst 1234561252102 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by rpmaluki View Post
    @Vordan - Is that David Bowie?

For whatever reason, I am a slightly excited. I have been a bit down on the prospects since post Future State plans were trickling out. It could be the additional subtitle, a bit trivial but it's doing wonders. I can hold out hope that this is Jon's book and Clark will (eventually) have both Action Comics and Superman (no subtitle) books to himself sooner rather than later.
    No clue lmao I just googled “despair” and picked the first image I saw

The subtitle does make me think it’s possible they’ll bring Superman back for Clark eventually, after they’ve established Jon. I hope so anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    I like how Taylor handles the Superfamily. He did a great job with Laura under similar circumstances over at Marvel and did seperated her from Lohan while making her her own Wolverine. I don't think you can compare DCeased to how this will shake out.

Also, with Taylor I know Lois will have a substantive role in Jon's life. So I think I'll actually be able to take PKJ's Superman run with a more open mind now.
    I hope so man. Taylor is the cheap fanservice writer (when he’s not murdering people to make Batman feel sad) so the least he can do is bring Lois in. Jon being the “Earth Superman” means Lois will very likely play a role in what he gets up to.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    I knew this day would come and this is probably the least worst outcome. He’s not writing “my” Superman and if he screws up they’ll probably deage Jon so I guess it’s a win-win no matter how things shake out. Least I’ll have PKJ and freaking Morrison writing Clark! C’mon Moz bring some of your New 52 Action run back into canon, if Jurgens got to bring a lot of his stuff back for Rebirth, it’s your turn to do the same for Infinite Frontier!
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Extraordinary Member

One more variant:

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

And just in case anyone was confused "The action begins on July 13 as a new ongoing monthly series, Superman: Son of Kal-El, replaces the current Superman monthly title. Written by Tom Taylor (Nightwing, DCeased, Suicide Squad) with art by John Timms (Young Justice, Harley Quinn), this series follows the new adventures of the son of Superman as he’s entrusted with the protection of Earth."

Superman: Son of Kal-El does in fact replace the normal Superman title as the ongoing. So it'll be Taylor on Son of Kal-El, and PKJ on Action.

_________

Taylor isn't my first choice by any means. I have real issues with his writing a lot of the time, and with Jon being a character that I see so much potential in as Superman I'd love some next level ****. Fraction was my hope.

That said, I'd be a fool to overlook the good Taylor brings to basically any project he does. And that good includes the good will fans have for him. If you look on his Twitter in response to this it's overwhelmingly positive just off the strength of his past work and what people feel he brings to a project. When I really sit down and think about it, he's maybe in the top 5 if not top 3 of DC's most positively received writers working today. Morrison is even stuck with the "ugggh!! Why can't they just tell a normal story" response, Snyder gets called pretentious more often than not, and Tom King...well...gets a very special brand of Tom King criticism. But Taylor? His stuff usually gets lovingly memed and shared because above all his strength as a writer is giving you that moment-to-moment screen shot-able character stuff or action stuff. this is that sort of crowd pleasing short term bump that'll be good right now.

I remember being down on Bendis when was first announced, and that quickly turned around for me. But right off the bat, the best thing I can say from just the sound of the book is that it has Taylor's name written all over it. You've got a young and fun protagonist hero who represents the future, setting it on Earth/in a city, and taking away the mentor figure so mistakes can be made by our young and fun protagonist. I'm genuinely looking forward to just seeing Jon be a guy trying to figure it all out.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypo View Post
    One more variant:

I need them to put out a full scale version of that Tedesco Action Comics variant because that cover is an all-timer.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    No clue lmao I just googled “despair” and picked the first image I saw

The subtitle does make me think it’s possible they’ll bring Superman back for Clark eventually, after they’ve established Jon. I hope so anyway.

I hope so man. Taylor is the cheap fanservice writer (when he’s not murdering people to make Batman feel sad) so the least he can do is bring Lois in. Jon being the “Earth Superman” means Lois will very likely play a role in what he gets up to.

I knew this day would come and this is probably the least worst outcome. He’s not writing “my” Superman and if he screws up they’ll probably deage Jon so I guess it’s a win-win no matter how things shake out. Least I’ll have PKJ and freaking Morrison writing Clark! C’mon Moz bring some of your New 52 Action run back into canon, if Jurgens got to bring a lot of his stuff back for Rebirth, it’s your turn to do the same for Infinite Frontier!
    You have my sympathies, my friend.

I'm at least grateful he stays with the Super and Bat books so far for main continuity stuff and even then the characters in those franchises I don't particularly have strong feeelings for (Nightwing, Jon, Batman)

I never read Injustice, it's not a particular universe that i'm interested in. I play the game and that was enough. Evil Superman is the most boring concept people can come up with.

But most of the comics i read from Tom Taylor was good, so i'll give it a shot even if i don't care for Teenager Jon Kent.
    DC: Dick Grayson, Wally West, Donna Troy, Yara Flor, Titans

Some of my favorite Mangas: One Piece, Slam Dunk, Fullmetal Alchemist, HunterXHunter, Vinland Saga, Monster, Berserk, Vagabond.
    Current reading: Jujutsu Kaisen, Chainsaw Man, Spy X Family, Kaiju Nº8, Blue Lock, Dandadan.

Quote Originally Posted by Drako View Post
    I never read Injustice, it's not a particular universe that i'm interested in. I play the game and that was enough. Evil Superman is the most boring concept people can come up with.
    The Injustice books are good, even if the universe they're set in is not. It's not perfect but it did a decent enough job making sense out of the **** show that Neatherrealm created. Taylor's a really talented writer and, ever since DCeased, I've become a big fan of his. But...still gonna have to pass on this book.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue22 View Post
    The Injustice books are good, even if the universe they're set in is not. It's not perfect but it did a decent enough job making sense out of the **** show that Neatherrealm created. Taylor's a really talented writer and, ever since DCeased, I've become a big fan of his. But...still gonna have to pass on this book.

I guess you guys were right on Jon being Superbro 2.0

BANNED

Oh I’m so pissed off at this rollout. I am seething with anger.

Superman: Son of WHO now???? I’m sorry. Did I miss something? Was Jon Kent some kind of magical clay baby? No he was not. He was conceived the old fashioned way and Lois Lane gave birth to him. He is her CHILD.

She isn’t even mentioned by name in the Hollywood Reporter article. It’s just “the son of Superman.” This is egregious oversight and ridiculously sexist.

Taylor is pretty consistent and he knows how to give characters unique voices. I'll give this a fair shot. There's a good chance Jon will have a distinctive personality here.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    I pretty much hate the Injustice storyline with a passion but the books made me hate it a bit less so...that's a win I guess lol

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Drako View Post

But most of the comics i read from Tom Taylor was good, so i'll give it a shot even if i don't care for Teenager Jon Kent.
    Tom Taylor is actually a great guy and he’s a good writer. I like him.

But I’m beyond furious at the way this book was marketed as Lois not even being a factor and Taylor of ALL people owes Lois Lane big time as a mother after what he did to her in Injustice so this slight coming from him is an egregious offense.

Quote Originally Posted by Nelliebly View Post
    Tom Taylor is actually a great guy and he’s a good writer. I like him.

But I’m beyond furious at the way this book was marketed as Lois not even being a factor and Taylor of ALL people owes Lois Lane big time as a mother after what he did to her in Injustice so this slight coming from him is an egregious offense.
    Taylor didn't do anything to Lois in Injustice. It was his job to write a book that coincided with the games and that's what he did. Lois' death was the catalyst for the game's story so that's what he had to write. Get mad at Neatherrealm Studios for fridging her. Not Taylor.

Where exactly is this line going?