Page 24 of 208 FirstFirst ... 142021222324252627283474124 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I mean, to a certain extent, because Marvel did walk back on a lot of the ANAD mantle changes.

I guess they could always walk back from walking back for movie synergy since those characters will be popping up in the MCU, but still.
    Weren't most of those of in the "there can be only one" vein though? They "killed" Tony & Hulk, depowered Cap completely. Thor stuck around in a different capacity, but lost his Thor role. So those were positioned as taking the place of rather than co-existing with their legacies.

Miles & Peter is unquestionably the most successful one and that is in the vein of Jon & Clark here. They aren't cutting the originals out, they are just shifting the roles or settings slightly.

Movies is a different beast I think. They couldn't recast Iron Man after End Game or Cap and keep the stories going. The expansion of the narratives needed to keep the continuity intact.

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    Weren't most of those of in the "there can be only one" vein though? They "killed" Tony & Hulk, depowered Cap completely. Thor stuck around in a different capacity, but lost his Thor role. So those were positioned as taking the place of rather than co-existing with their legacies.

Miles & Peter is unquestionably the most successful one and that is in the vein of Jon & Clark here. They aren't cutting the originals out, they are just shifting the roles or settings slightly.

Movies is a different beast I think. They couldn't recast Iron Man after End Game or Cap and keep the stories going. The expansion of the narratives needed to keep the continuity intact.
    I guess it's close to how they were handling it around the Dan Slott era where they were trying to move Peter away from his normal stuff while Miles was the New York Spider-Man (along with a bunch of other people), although that didn't stick. Mostly their books only just occasionally acknowledge each other since they don't really fit that well into each other's respective Spider-Man narratives.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    I still think his Future State costume is his best look, and I hope he loses the cape at some point. That’s one immediate one way to make him stand apart from Clark.
    I didn't hate it by any means, but I didn't really think it offered too much in the way of standing out.

I'd have to see another capeless look to decide, but for the moment I'm for him keeping a cape.

I really, really wouldn't mind seeing some sneakers (or sneaker-like shoes) added in the new look. Since part of this whole thing with Jon is reaffirming that he's still in many ways the same kid, giving us a few visual touchstones that hit on that again would be great. And it would be a nice way to put the "Earth" in "Superman of Earth".
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Spectacular Member Kara Danvers's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    And in the case of Jon as Superman being being a bad look when juxtaposed next to Yara and Jace? Well, can't really disagree with that more.

You see, Clark Kent as Superman before any immigrant metaphor, poor kindly couple, or anything else is about power and privilege at his core.

Privilege has become a very bad word in recent years, but that's primarily because in real life the people that have that crazy level of privilege are usually not admirable. But the concept of Superman is to use that inherent and overwhelming privilege to do for others what they cannot do for themselves.

The idea of "check your privilege" and "being an ally" is so strong and such a great thing to be conscious of today that I don't want to just suddenly shift the goal post of the most inherently privileged and powerful fictional hero every created right when we should be really digging deep into what it means for this concept. Jon is an opportunity to set an example of what being born into power and privilege and doing your best to give back should look like.

And the fact that there's an internal conflict here with him as his status and power grows makes it all the more interesting. Over in Taylor's Nightwing a similar situation is being tackled with Dick now that he's dealing with the ramifications of being a billionaire.

There's too much really specific and potent story potential here.
    Some of you will use any excuse to keep Superman white.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    I didn't hate it by any means, but I didn't really think it offered too much in the way of standing out.

I'd have to see another capeless look to decide, but for the moment I'm for him keeping a cape.

I really, really wouldn't mind seeing some sneakers (or sneaker-like shoes) added in the new look. Since part of this whole thing with Jon is reaffirming that he's still in many ways the same kid, giving us a few visual touchstones that hit on that again would be great. And it would be a nice way to put the "Earth" in "Superman of Earth".
    What do you mean by standing out?I am for the superman of metropolis interpretation btw.It had the rad hairstyle,purplish blue eyes(in the cover) and the big round belt.It felt jon and in it felt like superman.That's a big combo to have.It even felt like invincible and tokyo ghoul.Sneakers and tight? wouldn't that be kinda hard to pulloff.I also like the idea of supersentai jon.Even if guys in jon appreciation thread seem hate the design.

I wouldn't add sneakers to superman of metropolis costume.just some cuts on the clothes.It's reminiscent of the old jon Kent ,lean/agile body and ofcourse the hair is a must.
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"

Quote Originally Posted by Kara Danvers View Post

True, now would be the perfect time to change course if DC truly wants to replace Clark as Superman but instead were are getting Mini-Clark in that role it is very aggravating. I mean literally WTH is the point!? They are in essence the same exact character they even look damn near identical like age differentiated twins!
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

No,we just don't agree with "Jon can't be superman because it has to be earned".when clark did squat to earn the title.He actually went against everything the title meant was still called superman,for his own petty reasons and his own fears of being an outcast.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dq604dxCoKQ&t=8s
    As for another poc superman, just read house of el or new super-man.
    https://readcomicsonline.ru/uploads/...pters/1/05.jpg
    Superman had been a dynasty.Superman powers are inherited.The way they are raised also plays a role in being superman(Yuck! modern nonsense with sky and earth parents.eesh!!why does a hero have to depend on their parents is beyond me).
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 04-23-2021 at 11:01 PM.

Guess what: A non-white Superman isn’t an intrinsically “better” choice. Accept that you’re in the minority here and quit being so self-righteous. I doubt you’d be whining so much if they had given some random PoC person off the street the mantle despite them not “earning” it either because that’s literally Kenan’s origin and I’ve never seen you complain that he doesn’t deserve to be Superman.
    Last edited by Vordan; 04-23-2021 at 10:18 PM.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Spectacular Member Kara Danvers's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Guess what: A non-white Superman isn’t an intrinsically “better” choice. Accept that you’re in the minority here and quit being so self-righteous. I doubt you’d be whining so much if they had given some random PoC person off the street the mantle despite them not “earning” it either because that’s literally Kenan’s origin and I’ve never seen you complain that he doesn’t deserve to be Superman.
    Kenan wasn't Superman's successor and DC has forgotten about him now. I'm not going to complain about character that isn't relevant anymore.

Kenan wasn't Superman's successor and DC has forgotten about him now. I'm not going to complain about character that isn't relevant anymore.
    Look,i understand wanting a poc superman.But,don't bring crappy arguments for that purpose.You are just destroying your own case.They are slowly building up a superverse,that's gonna have supermen of all sizes,shapes,genders,(I hope powers as well)...etc.Not,Just a guy,a girl,a dog,a kid with same tired old flying paragon shtick.For that reason,jon is important.Let's hope they do some good stories.Also,we don't know if kenan is forgotten or not.I don't think he is.

Extraordinary Member

There have been supermen of color

More so in this very specific situations when dealing with the line of direct succession as a concept worth really digging into.

It would be cool if could have some discussion about this nuanced topic before you make up you mind about me and my intentions.
    Last edited by Superlad93; 04-24-2021 at 04:20 AM.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Just now hitting me that Clark will no longer have a cape as of Superman & The Authority, so chances are pretty high that Jon *will* have a cape as Superman.

I just hope Taylor and Timms can strike a balance between simple/classic and modern/cool.

The look of some of his characters (particularly the main protagonist) in Taylor's Secret Seven would be a great starting point if you ask me. And that feels like the closest in visuals Taylor has gotten to working with a Timms style artist, so fingers crossed!

Well somethings confusing here, apparently due to the the solicitations for July Jon’s Superman debut is $3.99 but on the announcement cover it says $4.99 which I guess is the Timms variant that is $4.99?
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Astonishing Member The Frog Bros's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    What do you mean by standing out?I am for the superman of metropolis interpretation btw.It had the rad hairstyle,purplish blue eyes(in the cover) and the big round belt.It felt jon and in it felt like superman.That's a big combo to have.It even felt like invincible and tokyo ghoul.Sneakers and tight? wouldn't that be kinda hard to pulloff.I also like the idea of supersentai jon.Even if guys in jon appreciation thread seem hate the design.

I wouldn't add sneakers to superman of metropolis costume.just some cuts on the clothes.It's reminiscent of the old jon Kent ,lean/agile body and ofcourse the hair is a must.
    I agree, I really dug the Jon look for SoM. The only thing I didn't like too much was the big belt, but other than that I thought it was pretty solid...
    “Look, you can’t put the Superman #77s with the #200s. They haven’t even discovered Red Kryptonite yet. And you can’t put the #98s with the #300s, Lori Lemaris hasn’t even been introduced.” — Sam
    “Where the hell are you from? Krypton?” — Edgar Frog